kick it off

NFL Thread

Not sure why you'd wish tom Brady luck KG. Hes a trump supporter and a cheat (deflategate anyone?). My only wish for the playoffs is Brady doesn't get near it. Much as I like the Bucs as a franchise, I dislike Brady more.

I'd happily see Rodgers and the Packers win it over anyone else. Rodgers is a decent human being, sold short by the team over the years as his talent deserves more SB wins than the one he currently has. If not the Packers then il take literally any of the others over the Bucs.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Not sure why you'd wish tom Brady luck KG. Hes a trump supporter and a cheat (deflategate anyone?). My only wish for the playoffs is Brady doesn't get near it. Much as I like the Bucs as a franchise, I dislike Brady more.

I'd happily see Rodgers and the Packers win it over anyone else. Rodgers is a decent human being, sold short by the team over the years as his talent deserves more SB wins than the one he currently has. If not the Packers then il take literally any of the others over the Bucs.

Didn't know he was a Trumpette. In that case, stuff him, hope he gets sacked every play.

I was only saying good luck to him because he has proved he is a class QB even if he is a crock of siht as a person.

I am a west coast fancier so lets go for the Rams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

I'll wish Tom Brady luck then. Peace and goodwill to all... Unless he's up against Lance Armstrong

I know nothing about this sport but I thought you guys might like this. Go Patriots.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I know nothing about this sport but I thought you guys might like this. Go Patriots.

Aneka Sorenstam and Gary Player both accepted the honour the day after the seige. Sorenstam is known to be a right winger but I thought Player was more of a philanthropist.

Both are now getting bad press particularly in the golfing world which has normally been anti Trump because of his attitude to buying courses and who plays on them.

So for all their magnificent achievements on the course, they are now spoiling it by their action.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

He's only doing this as he knows it is a PR disaster. We're only a few years out from Belichek writing Trump this sycophantic ****...

"Congratulations on a tremendous campaign. You have dealt with an unbelievable slanted and negative media, and have come out beautifully – beautifully. You’ve proved to be the ultimate competitor and fighter. Your leadership is amazing. I have always had tremendous respect for you, but the toughness and perseverance you have displayed over the past year is remarkable. Hopefully tomorrow’s election results will give the opportunity to make America great again. Best wishes for great results tomorrow.

Bill"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Oh dear. In my defence I did say I know nothing about the sport. 😳

Ha, no problem. Belichek is a stubborn old goat so I'm shocked he turned it down, I expected him to accept just because people were saying he shouldn't. 

He's another reason most of us have to hate the New England Patriots (basically the Man United of the NFL world). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, king canary said:

Ha, no problem. Belichek is a stubborn old goat so I'm shocked he turned it down, I expected him to accept just because people were saying he shouldn't. 

He's another reason most of us have to hate the New England Patriots (basically the Man United of the NFL world). 

Yep. Respect the Brady/Belichick partnership but their achievements will always have a sour note about them due to the various cheating scandals, and both of them are pretty unlikeable people. Also should be noted that brady taking team friendly deals is a large part of why the Pats were able to build a dynasty for so long as they had cheap QB in his prime so had money to stack the roster with WR etc

Easy to take cheaper than market value contracts when you still earn tens of millions per year and your wife still earns more than you though I guess.

Edited by kick it off

Either respect it or don't which clearly you don't with the list of buts you added to that last post.

4 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Either respect it or don't which clearly you don't with the list of buts you added to that last post.

I respect it, 6 championships is not an accident, and nor is it a result of cheating or anything else. I just don't get all misty-eyed about them, the way some NFL fans do. It's a shame they did cheat to be honest because it was probably uneccessary, they're good enough collectively to have won 6 championships without the scandal. Respecting them and liking them are not the same thing.

Brady taking cheap contracts is immaterial really, sure it helped the Pats build championship rosters, but plenty of teams have built equally talented rosters and not won anything - that wasn't a criticism, just an observation. Honestly, I'd like to see more elite QBs do it - QB salaries are out of control at the moment and several very good QBs who COULD win a superbowl on a stacked team, won't get near it in their entire career because their contract demands hurt the teams' ability to build (Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins). I understand why they don't do that obviously because it's a $30-40 million gamble to take a cheap deal and hope you can win the big show, but it would be interesting to see it happen.

• Like 1

Help me out here you NFL loving gents.

I work for a company based in the US and every week we have a catch up call and they have long debates about NFL, or as they like to refer it, football.

I have tried to educate them that football is what we play over here and that they just play rugby but with body protection, works every time 😬

On a serious note, is it worth me trying to get into it 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I work for a company based in the US and every week we have a catch up call and they have long debates about NFL, or as they like to refer it, football.

I have tried to educate them that football is what we play over here and that they just play rugby but with body protection, works every time 😬

As sports go it isn't for everyone- it took me ages to get past the stop start nature and actually understand the tactics and what was happening on the field. You have to have an element of patience and it helps to have a clear understanding of the basics as otherwise it can look totally baffling to a newbie.

Also, in my personal opinion, NFL is significantly more enjoyable than Rugby.

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

As sports go it isn't for everyone- it took me ages to get past the stop start nature and actually understand the tactics and what was happening on the field. You have to have an element of patience and it helps to have a clear understanding of the basics as otherwise it can look totally baffling to a newbie.

Also, in my personal opinion, NFL is significantly more enjoyable than Rugby.

Thanks.

I only call it rugby to them to wind them up and it works every time.

Strangely when I was in my teens I used to watch the Superbowl every year but my teens was a long time ago, although suspect it hasn't changed much in 30 years 😁

15 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Thanks.

I only call it rugby to them to wind them up and it works every time.

Strangely when I was in my teens I used to watch the Superbowl every year but my teens was a long time ago, although suspect it hasn't changed much in 30 years 😁

It actually is derived from Rugby. The initial change was that in Rugby, any points for a try didn't count if you missed the conversion. So that seeming ridiculous, they took the opposite view.

Then, as in many sports, the game and the rules evolved.

For instance, The ball was very rarely thrown originally, closer to its Rugby origins, it was run. But then positions altered and it became advantageous to throw it.

4 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Try it why not. Watching a full game for gauging the pace is good , but Sky have a thing called redzone where they show all the action from scores as they happen athought the pace is a bit fast for a newbie. The BBC have a good Superbowl show where they try to address viewers with basic knowledge. They have a weekly highlights show also.

Me I know the basics that allow me to follow the scoring, progress of the game and position in the leagues(i.e. the format) and that does.

Oh and if you want to know NFL for work purposes I'll suggest you make sure you know your rugby first which would give you the unique angle of being the rugby football guy.

Buffalo! Yes they are back. A seriously impressive performance to hold the Ravens to just 3 points. 

Now we just need the Browns to beat the Chiefs and it will feel like classic AFC times are back again.

Green Bay will still take some stopping Surfer. They steamrollered the Rams yesterday. Didn't see the Ravens game as it was a late kick off here but the Bills have clearly done a great job to limit the Ravens to 3 - thats seriously impressive.

Don't see KC losing to CLE but I'm looking forward to the game. Slightly more reasonable kick off times tonight. Bucs vs Saints will be super interesting too.

9 hours ago, Surfer said:

Buffalo! Yes they are back. A seriously impressive performance to hold the Ravens to just 3 points. 

Now we just need the Browns to beat the Chiefs and it will feel like classic AFC times are back again.

I was hoping to see Mahomes v Jackson Championship match.

I hate this stupid touchback rule and its doubly terrible when combined with a terrible non call on helmet to helmet contact.

Such a shame as a td there and you've got an interestingly poised 16-10 game going into the half. Instead Kansas now look out of sight.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I hate this stupid touchback rule and its doubly terrible when combined with a terrible non call on helmet to helmet contact.

Such a shame as a td there and you've got an interestingly poised 16-10 game going into the half. Instead Kansas now look out of sight.

Hate that for Mahomes. Bad for Kansas and the nfl playoffs generally. Nobody wants to see Chad Henne in a conference Championship game

Just as I wrote that, Henne lobs a bomb of an INT on a dumbass play and Baker is about to get the game in his hands.

Edited by kick it off

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Hate that for Mahomes. Bad for Kansas and the nfl playoffs generally. Nobody wants to see Chad Henne in a conference Championship game

Yeah an awful situation, you want the best players out there. Game is on a knife edge now though.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah an awful situation, you want the best players out there. Game is on a knife edge now though.

Not if you’re the browns! Definitely if you’re a neutral.

Henne made came up big when it mattered then. Praying Mahomes is healthy for next week though. 

Really looking forward to the next game - best matchup of the weekend on paper. Whoever wins makes the NFC game a real mouth-waterer though - Brady or Brees vs Rodgers? I'm all about that.

Wow, the sheer balls on Andy Reid.

Now let's hope we get Mahomes v Allen in the AFC Championship game and not Chad Henne.

• Like 1

Browns absolutely robbed of the chance to win that game by the ridiculous rule that personal fouls can’t be called in an official review - let alone the stupidity of the touch back rule. As usual the NFL manages to get their Fox / CBS broadcast network favorites through.