kick it off

NFL Thread

5 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Cmon the Lions

I've been a Washington fan since '83 so I've seen some good times and bad times. My best mate has been a Lions fan since around the same time so he's just had bad times. I hope they get to the Superbowl this year but I don't follow the NFL anywhere near as much as I used to so I have no idea whether they have any chance against the 49ers next week?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

I've been a Washington fan since '83 so I've seen some good times and bad times. My best mate has been a Lions fan since around the same time so he's just had bad times. I hope they get to the Superbowl this year but I don't follow the NFL anywhere near as much as I used to so I have no idea whether they have any chance against the 49ers next week?

It's the nature of the NFL teams become decent and win things although there are a large number of teams who don't. Then there's the Lions, the Jets etc. Of course they can win, but it's really 49ers to lose.

12 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

As a fellow Washington fan, now is the time to start paying attention again.

The poison that is Dan Snyder has sold the team, we have a competent and exciting ownership group led by Josh Harris who owns several successful franchises across other sports (the group also includes basketball legend Magic Johnson).... and we have just appointed the hottest prospect going (Adam Peters) to lead the front office, who has spent the last 6 or 7 years as the second in command overseeing the 49ers rebuild and subsequent success. He was coveted as the top general manager candidate across the league and he didn't even interview elsewhere, he took the Washington job immediately.

We've spent the last week interviewing the best available candidates for the head coach position, and should be close to appointing one in the next week or so. I trust the new General Manager and the group in charge to make a good decision on this, and we are now seen as an attractive proposition across the league so good candidates actually want to come to DC.

We have the 2nd overall pick in the draft, and 5 out of the first 100 picks, and we have the most salary cap space in the league.

We are about to begin a beautiful journey - jump on for the ride.

Edited by kick it off

Never had any interest in the NFL but recent move of LRZ, whilst depressing me immensely as a Welsh rugby supporter has aroused my interest. From what I read the opinion is mixed on his prospects most seem to think the chances of him making the transition and coming through the development system and making it is pretty slim. Coming to the game at his age being so much harder than for those who have been brought up and steeped in the game for all their lives. Anyway what do you guys think of his chances, he has blistering pace for a UK rugby union player, but his pace may not be that exceptional for NFL academy guys?

Edited by Nik Vawn

2 minutes ago, Nik Vawn said:

Never had any interest in the NFL but recent move of LRZ, whilst depressing me immensely as a Welsh rugby supporter has aroused my interest. From what I read the opinion is mixed on his prospects must most seem to think the chances of him making the transition and coming through the development system is pretty slim. Coming to the game at his age being so much harder than for those who have been brought up and steeped in the game for all their lives. Anyway what do you guys think of his chances, he has blistering pace for a UK rugby union player, but his pace may not be that exceptional for NFL academy guys?

I think it will all depend on what position he wants to play.

My team has Jordan Mailata who was a Rugby League player with good measurements. He got drafted in the 7th round having never played a down of American Football and evolved into an excellent left tackle.

Some positions are simpler to learn- running back, offensive line, maybe tight end, some are tougher like safety or (obviously) quarterback.

• Like 1

Gutted for the Bills- they keep coming so close.

I'd love a Lions v Ravens superbowl. Not interested in seeing yet more Kansas City. 

• Like 1

“Former Wales star Louis Rees-Zammit will attempt to make it in the NFL in a hybrid running back-wide receiver role, it has been revealed.”

There you go guys, hope that means more to you than it does to me!!

On 29/01/2024 at 19:58, king canary said:

Urgh, the most boring possible Superbowl outcome.

Hasn't been a great season all round I think.

Chiefs to win I think

On 23/01/2024 at 07:23, kick it off said:

As a fellow Washington fan, now is the time to start paying attention again.

The poison that is Dan Snyder has sold the team, we have a competent and exciting ownership group led by Josh Harris who owns several successful franchises across other sports (the group also includes basketball legend Magic Johnson).... and we have just appointed the hottest prospect going (Adam Peters) to lead the front office, who has spent the last 6 or 7 years as the second in command overseeing the 49ers rebuild and subsequent success. He was coveted as the top general manager candidate across the league and he didn't even interview elsewhere, he took the Washington job immediately.

We've spent the last week interviewing the best available candidates for the head coach position, and should be close to appointing one in the next week or so. I trust the new General Manager and the group in charge to make a good decision on this, and we are now seen as an attractive proposition across the league so good candidates actually want to come to DC.

We have the 2nd overall pick in the draft, and 5 out of the first 100 picks, and we have the most salary cap space in the league.

We are about to begin a beautiful journey - jump on for the ride.

Belated thanks for this, I didn’t realise the General Manager was such an important role, I will be watching next season with interest. Do we need a new QB?

On 06/02/2024 at 14:48, Mr Angry said:

Belated thanks for this, I didn’t realise the General Manager was such an important role, I will be watching next season with interest. Do we need a new QB?

General manager in most organisations has control over player personnel so makes the draft picks, free agent signings etc. He essentially builds the roster. It's basically the Stuart Webber role of the NFL world.

Our coaching team is now put together. Not 100% sure what to make of it, as the up and coming young offensive coach (Ben Johnson) that everyone thought was locked in to be our next head coach bailed last minute amidst a swirl of rumours he'd interviewed badly etc. He decided to stay in his current role, so we hired Dan Quinn who had a fairly unsuccessful stint with the Atlanta Falcons (although he did take them to a superbowl where they blew a commanding lead), but he has spent 3 years since that being a Defensive Coordinator in Dallas and built one of the premier defenses in the league, and he is universally liked and respected around the league.

I like the coordinators Quinn has hired though, he's brought Joe Whitt who worked under him in Dallas on board as the Defensive Co-ordinator and brought in Kliff Kingsbury as Offensive Co-ordinator, who has a knack of developing star Quarterbacks which is a good move seeing as we are defniitely picking a QB at number 2 in the draft. Kingsbury has just spent the last few years in the College game coaching Caleb Williams who is one of the best Quarterbacks in the upcoming draft so there is a lot of expectation we will draft him, although Chicago pick 1st and also need a QB - possible we may trade a pick or two to swap places with them so we can take him, there's been a lot of noise that if Chicago draft him, he will refuse to play for them and force a trade elsewhere (Eli Manning is the precedent for this). Time will tell though, theres a few good QBs in this draft.

So all in all, interesting times in Washnigton right now.

Edited by kick it off

Good Superbowl? I could not watch it in the end, but noticed nobobdy scored in the first quarter and it went to overtime. Slow watch?

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Good Superbowl? I could not watch it in the end, but noticed nobobdy scored in the first quarter and it went to overtime. Slow watch?

It was a tight game. I was rooting for the 49ers so a shade disappointed with the result.

Adam Peters is COOKING in DC. This is such a breath of fresh air.

Eagles are having a really nice free agency too.

The Cowboys though....😱 Dak on sexual assault charges too... When it rains, it pours.