kick it off

NFL Thread

On 05/01/2021 at 08:48, kick it off said:

You're overlooking Aaron Rodgers and the Packers?

I clearly overlooked the Tampa Bay defense.

As someone who follows the 49ers I would always prefer an NFC team to win SB.

However, remembering their four in a row losses it might seem the time to root for the Bills.

I'm firmly in the 'anyone but the Bucs' camp now.

I like Arians but I really dislike Brady and I think Antonio Brown is a terrible human being. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm firmly in the 'anyone but the Bucs' camp now.

I like Arians but I really dislike Brady and I think Antonio Brown is a terrible human being. 

Possibly the first time we're on the same side! There's no thinking required by the way - AB is a terrible human being.

Both offenses getting onslaughted, but still managing to get those plays. Brady taking a good bit of flak at the moment, but still a level match.

On 05/01/2021 at 08:48, kick it off said:

You're overlooking Aaron Rodgers and the Packers?

On 18/01/2021 at 03:04, KiwiScot said:

I clearly overlooked the Tampa Bay defense.

I think everyone overlooked the Tampa Bay Defense

Tom ****ing Brady! 3 Interceptions, but still gets to the Superbowl 😉

Good game.

22 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I think everyone overlooked the Tampa Bay Defense

Tom ****ing Brady! 3 Interceptions, but still gets to the Superbowl 😉

Good game.

Eurgh. Hate Brady in another SB, he was lights out 1st half and then went full Ryan Leaf in the second but the Defense carried him.

Hated that PI call to finish it. It was PI but they hadn't thrown a flag all game for far more egregious examples including a couple by Tampa when GB were in the redzone.

Great to see Mahomes cleared protocol and in this game though. 

9 hours ago, kick it off said:

Eurgh. Hate Brady in another SB, he was lights out 1st half and then went full Ryan Leaf in the second but the Defense carried him.

Hated that PI call to finish it. It was PI but they hadn't thrown a flag all game for far more egregious examples including a couple by Tampa when GB were in the redzone.

Great to see Mahomes cleared protocol and in this game though. 

Great game but totally agree on the PI call- yes it was PI but they'd 'let them play' the rest of the game and then bring the flags out for the most important play of the game. The refs made a rod for their own back there.

Saying that, the call to kick the field goal down 8 was baffling to me. You've got an MVP level QB and an average defense- give Rodgers the 4th down try, even if he doesn't do it you've got time to make the stop with Tampa on their own 9. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Saying that, the call to kick the field goal down 8 was baffling to me. You've got an MVP level QB and an average defense- give Rodgers the 4th down try, even if he doesn't do it you've got time to make the stop with Tampa on their own 9. 

Yeah that call was dumb. Really dumb

On that we can all agree. And if they hadn't have tried for a 2-point conversion earlier, it would only have been a 7 point deficit. 

I was watching the NFL show and they mentioned Deshaun Watson the Texans QB wanting traded as he was promised, but not delivered a say in the selection of the teams head coach. Now the Jets and Dolphins have been muted as destinations for Watson, but Osi on the show used his own dispute as an example to say Watson would be staying with the Texans.

As a Dolphins fan can anyone convince me him coming to the Dolphins would be a good idea? For the draft this year we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds including 3rd and 36th picks. To get Watson we'd basically have to throw all that away. Is Tua Tagovailoa that bad compared to Watson that you'd want to throw away what looks like a pretty awesome potential draft.

https://fansided.com/2021/01/30/miami-dolphins-deshaun-watson-trade-offer/

And now LA Rams trade Geoff and two first round picks to Detroit for Stafford. Makes this 49’ers fan happy to hear that 🙂 

Watson is a hell of a player Kiwi and still young. He's only 25. If you bring him in then you'll be shipping Tua out, and there'll be a market for him. Watson will likely take all those picks plus texans want a young defensive piece too. 

Is it worth it? Don't know. Hard to say without knowing how good Tua is and I dont feel I've seen enough of him yet.

Given how much college football got played and the lack of team meetings/proper combine, this draft is likely to be more of a crapshoot than most so if you are going to give up a boatload of picks, its not a bad year to do it.

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

I was watching the NFL show and they mentioned Deshaun Watson the Texans QB wanting traded as he was promised, but not delivered a say in the selection of the teams head coach. Now the Jets and Dolphins have been muted as destinations for Watson, but Osi on the show used his own dispute as an example to say Watson would be staying with the Texans.

As a Dolphins fan can anyone convince me him coming to the Dolphins would be a good idea? For the draft this year we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds including 3rd and 36th picks. To get Watson we'd basically have to throw all that away. Is Tua Tagovailoa that bad compared to Watson that you'd want to throw away what looks like a pretty awesome potential draft.

As a fellow Fin it would be the addition to take a very good young side to a great side to become serious challengers, but I read somewhere it would take a huge trade and his salary would be too big for the current set up in Miami, so Tua would be possible part of the trade.

But a great young QB.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

As a fellow Fin it would be the addition to take a very good young side to a great side to become serious challengers, but I read somewhere it would take a huge trade and his salary would be too big for the current set up in Miami, so Tua would be possible part of the trade.

But a great young QB.

Tua might appeal to the texans as part of any potential deal tbf.

His salary isn't that bad. 15mill this season. 40mill next but the cap should raise substantially with the fresh TV deal so that won't be outrageous when that comes due.

Don't know what kind of cap shape the Dolphins are in though so may be prohibitive to them.

46 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Tua might appeal to the texans as part of any potential deal tbf.

His salary isn't that bad. 15mill this season. 40mill next but the cap should raise substantially with the fresh TV deal so that won't be outrageous when that comes due.

Don't know what kind of cap shape the Dolphins are in though so may be prohibitive to them.

It does appear to be the hot deal being reported, normally the press there are on the mark with these trades, it would be fantastic for the Fins but they would potentially lose their first round pick who is reported to be DeVonte Smith, the best WR in the draft and someone Tua has played with at college. So to trade that with Tua would probably mean both would end up at Texas as they would get two picks in the first round. Tough one as I’m not too sold on Tua looked a little too static for a modern QB. Lefties always look awkward on the throw. I’d certainly like the trade.

6 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Tua is a bunch of unknowns, Watson is a proven commodity. Essentially if you have the option to aquire a qb like that you have to take it, players as good as him are so rare.

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

And now LA Rams trade Geoff and two first round picks to Detroit for Stafford. Makes this 49’ers fan happy to hear that 🙂 

The Goff/Stafford trade is interesting. 

I really like Stafford and am glad he'll finally get to play on a contender. The Rams clearly see themselves as only being held back by their qb play and its tough to really argue with that. They are all in on a superbowl window of 2 or 3 years max.

Goff now has the chance to show he can be a good player without McVay. The knock on him has always been that McVay does the hard work of pre snap reads, audibles, changing things at the line etc. Dan Campbell sure as he'll isn't filling that gap so Goff now needs to prove he's actually a proper qb from the neck up rather than just a McVay play thing.

Ahead of the Superbowl, some really sad news about NFL media's Chris Wesseling passing. The Around the NFL podcast has been my favourite pod on the sport for nearly a decade and for those who watch NFL via Sky Sports he was an occasional contributer on there too. 

Indeed it was sad news about Chris. 

In other NFL news, Chase Young won DROY, Alex Smith comeback player (49 out of 50 votes to have it renamed in his honour, that 1 person who voted against to prevent it is an asshat).

Looks like Wentz is on the move too. Stunned to see there are apparently teams willing to throw their chips in on him after he has sucked for 2 years and has a massive contract.

Image result for superb owl sunday        Not to under estimate the Buccs defense again, but the Chiefs should win.

Edited by KiwiScot

So come on guys who’s going to win? My heart wants Tampa but my head says Chiefs.....I’ll be rooting the Bucks.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

In other NFL news, Chase Young won DROY, Alex Smith comeback player (49 out of 50 votes to have it renamed in his honour, that 1 person who voted against to prevent it is an asshat).

Looks like Wentz is on the move too. Stunned to see there are apparently teams willing to throw their chips in on him after he has sucked for 2 years and has a massive contract.

Comeback player of the year is such a weird award, the critera is so vague but if anyone deserves it, it's Alex Smith.

Re Wentz- he hasn't sucked for two years- the end of last season he took the team on his back and carried them to the playoffs throwing to players who had no place on an NFL roster. This season I don't know what has happened but the relationship seems to be totally broken with the organisation at this point which is a huge shame. This is a really good piece on what happened.

What surprises me is the offers we're getting are aggressive enough for us to move him. His contract actually isn't too bad for the team trading for him (about $25m a year without much guaranteed past 2021) but for us it means a $30M+ dead cap hit. There are reports the Bears are willing to offer a first and more to get him. If that happens the big question will be do we draft a QB or do we give Hurts the season to show what he can do.

26 minutes ago, Indy said:

So come on guys who’s going to win? My heart wants Tampa but my head says Chiefs.....I’ll be rooting the Bucks.

I'm the opposite of you then Indy!

I can't stand Brady as a person and Antonio Brown is a scumbag who shouldn't be playing the game anymore (although the Chiefs have Tyreek Hill who also isn't someone I like getting behind). On the plus side though they have Bruce Arians who I love.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm the opposite of you then Indy!

I can't stand Brady as a person and Antonio Brown is a scumbag who shouldn't be playing the game anymore (although the Chiefs have Tyreek Hill who also isn't someone I like getting behind). On the plus side though they have Bruce Arians who I love.

I’ve been to Tampa a few times so have a little soft spot for them.

I cannot see past the Chiefs. Ever since Reid came in they have had winning seasons. And it doesn't matter what division you are in (apart from NFC East😀, winning becomes a great habit and stability.

Lets not forget that Brady has lost three SBs as well. Despite KCs dislike of him, the majority of neutrals. will want him to win.

Main thing, lets hope its not a blow out or I will go to bed. Apart from if its the 49ers, I can't stand it when a team romps away.

From our Twitter. Only true Norwich fans support Tampa Bay apparently(due to the Tampa Bay Rowdies connection). Any non-brady fans are binners!

Edited by KiwiScot