kick it off

NFL Thread

Well this has been a rubbish game so far. Nothing fun about watching flag after flag.

Chiefs have totally **** the bed with the lack of discipline. Disappointing.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well this has been a rubbish game so far. Nothing fun about watching flag after flag.

Chiefs have totally **** the bed with the lack of discipline. Disappointing.

It’s not over by a long way, but great for big Gronk! Still time for a big turn around, though I personally hope not! 👍😉

Chief's are choking, but having mahomes toe injury and two main offensive linemen out it's killing their flexibility. Buccs are solid.

As a 49er's fan I'm looking at this game and wondering - how on earth did we lose to the Chiefs last year?

Buccaneers have been outstanding, well deserved the lead, now to play out the clock.

One of the poorer SBs. The game was originally adapted from rugby so it was all about running. The Chiefs showed that if you haven't got one or it isn't working, you won't win a SB. Your offensive line will crack eventually and Mahomes spent half the game looking like he was playing tag.

We all mentioned Brady often enough but forgot about Gronkowski. Very important and often overlooked is a Tight End and he is one of the all time best.

Brady has now won more SBs than any other team and more post season games than 21 NFL teams.

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Fitz will win you a few games but also lose you a few. I get the idea is that the WFT defence is so good that you just need the offence to be decent but I don't see this move changing the win/loss total all that much and I certainly don't see them going much further than the wildcard round again.

I'm slightly concerned that the Giants seem to have had a good off season but free agency is a bit of a crap shoot.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Fitz will win you a few games but also lose you a few. I get the idea is that the WFT defence is so good that you just need the offence to be decent but I don't see this move changing the win/loss total all that much and I certainly don't see them going much further than the wildcard round again.

I'm slightly concerned that the Giants seem to have had a good off season but free agency is a bit of a crap shoot.

Giants are still rolling with Daniel Jones so I'm not worried about them. We are a few pieces away from being a problem. We need upgrades across the OL and we need a TE to complement Logan Thomas. We need 2 starting calibre ILB too, or at least one really good one (Zaven Collins or JOK in the draft?) and a serviceable partner.

Fitz on his own doesn't move the needle hugely for the offense, but now we have a legit weapon opposite McLaurin, our Offense should be light years better than last year anyway. Can't double team McLaurin every play when you have to account for Samuel too.

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Giants are still rolling with Daniel Jones so I'm not worried about them. We are a few pieces away from being a problem. We need upgrades across the OL and we need a TE to complement Logan Thomas. We need 2 starting calibre ILB too, or at least one really good one (Zaven Collins or JOK in the draft?) and a serviceable partner.

Fitz on his own doesn't move the needle hugely for the offense, but now we have a legit weapon opposite McLaurin, our Offense should be light years better than last year anyway. Can't double team McLaurin every play when you have to account for Samuel too.

Yeah I think there has been some gradual improvements. As an Eagles fan I'm already writing off 2021- clearly we're going to use it to see if Hurts is the guy but if he isn't we may well have 3 first rounders next year to build off.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah I think there has been some gradual improvements. As an Eagles fan I'm already writing off 2021- clearly we're going to use it to see if Hurts is the guy but if he isn't we may well have 3 first rounders next year to build off.

Yeah I don't like the look of those 3 first rounders. Luckily it's it's really weak draft class for QBs next year but if you trade one of them for 2023 and pick up some playmakers with the 2 x 1sts next year, you'll be in  a great spot to pick up a top tier prospect QB in 2023 draft.

Edited by kick it off

"The San Francisco 49ers made a blockbuster trade Friday, acquiring the third overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft from the Miami Dolphins"

Wonder what's up - is Garoppolo on his way out - back to the Patriots perhaps?

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

"The San Francisco 49ers made a blockbuster trade Friday, acquiring the third overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft from the Miami Dolphins"

Jimmy G is longgggg gone. You don't make that trade unless you're moving up for a QB. I'd imagine they're comfortable with 2 QBs so guaranteed to get one. Probably Wilson or Fields. Maybe Lance - Can maybe see Kyle viewing Lance as RG3 2.0 and he had huge success with Griffin in his rookie year before his leg got snapped. More likely Wilson or Fields is the pick though depending on which one is left after picks 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

He's either gone or they try and force him to take a big pay cut to stay as a back up.

Rumours that Jackson wants out of Baltimore and wants the 49ers.

Not sure if true. Niners have a good ground game anyway. 3000+ yards isn't outstanding but its acceptable with his mobility. He is rated 6th in the stats whereas Jimmy is 30th.

On 28/03/2021 at 17:08, kick it off said:

Yeah I don't like the look of those 3 first rounders. Luckily it's it's really weak draft class for QBs next year but if you trade one of them for 2023 and pick up some playmakers with the 2 x 1sts next year, you'll be in  a great spot to pick up a top tier prospect QB in 2023 draft.

I always take the 'year x is a weak QB class' with a pinch of salt.

We were told that the rams and Eagles traded up in 2016 as 2017 QB class was weak, yet Goff and Wentz both have been traded while 2017 gave us Watson and Mahomes. Joe burrow was also barely a consideration in 2019 but went number 1 in 2020 and looks at home in the league.

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rumours that Jackson wants out of Baltimore and wants the 49ers.

Not sure if true. Niners have a good ground game anyway. 3000+ yards isn't outstanding but its acceptable with his mobility. He is rated 6th in the stats whereas Jimmy is 30th.

Jackson would likely cost you 2 or 3 first round picks, can't see that happening.

Latest reports from SF newspapers is the 49ers want to keep Jimmy G for another year or two. As they retained most of their standout players they don’t have a lot of other needs for this draft so now Is a good time to bring in a new QB to start the process of transition. They said Jimmy G is a bit pissed off at that, coach says we like it when he’s that way - he plays better that way... watch this space 🙂 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Latest reports from SF newspapers is the 49ers want to keep Jimmy G for another year or two. As they retained most of their standout players they don’t have a lot of other needs for this draft so now Is a good time to bring in a new QB to start the process of transition. They said Jimmy G is a bit pissed off at that, coach says we like it when he’s that way - he plays better that way... watch this space 🙂 

Feels very smoke and mirrors to me- the 9ers don't want teams thinking they are just going to cut him if they can't get a decent trade. Only question would be if they pull a Chiefs- keep him and let Fields/Lance/whoever they draft sit most of the season.

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Yes, that’s the strategy according to the reports. But it’s the NFL, who really knows?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/annkillion/amp/Jimmy-Garoppolo-is-angry-and-the-49ers-are-16062266.php

Jimmy has no reason to be upset. He isn't good enough. And why does the team want to waste a great defence that keeps putting him back on the pitch to waste it time after time.

The offensive running game is good but sees too much of the ball but Jimmy's arm is not good enough.

I'd agree with that. He's good, but not a top 6 in the league class QB, top 10 for sure. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I'd agree with that. He's good, but not a top 6 in the league class QB, top 10 for sure. 

His stats said 30th last season, admittedly he played less than half a season.

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

He's not a top 10 QB.

He's in the 10-15 range imo. 

His numbers for 2020 are very similar to Mitchell Trubisky. 

I know Garropolo has had limited starts but if you look through his career, the only decent year he had was 2019. Murray has put up the same numbers in terms of TD/INT and yards in two years (32 games) that Jimmy G has done in 7 years (48 games).

SF are wasting their time with Garropolo. He's in that Kirk Cousins tier of decent but not good enough for teams that are serious about winning.

People got very carried away with Jimmy G on a very small sample size. I also don't see him as a natural fit for a Shanahan offence- he seems (certainly since his injury) to be more of a classic pocket passer whereas Shanahan needs more dynamism in his QB. There seems to be an idea the 9ers are taking Mac Jones at 3 which is interesting- I don't watch college ball but from everything I've read and seen that feels like a reach.

11 hours ago, king canary said:

People got very carried away with Jimmy G on a very small sample size. I also don't see him as a natural fit for a Shanahan offence- he seems (certainly since his injury) to be more of a classic pocket passer whereas Shanahan needs more dynamism in his QB. There seems to be an idea the 9ers are taking Mac Jones at 3 which is interesting- I don't watch college ball but from everything I've read and seen that feels like a reach.

But would he be a starter? The Niners need to harness and direct the talent it has right now. Another poor season will not help the outstanding, dynasty building objective. There is huge talent in that roster when they are all fit.