Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Murphy twins not missed

40 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Ah yes, hogesar is a far better fan than all of us.

What are you on about this time?

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

Long term bugbear of mine- Redmond was one of the best players we've had here yet fans didn't like him as he didn't beat his man every single time.

Not the only reason at all,it was mostly his choice of final ball as well .He has not progressed at all hence his appearances for ages in the u21 England team where they showed lots of patience but he was unable to step up to the next level.Lots of wide players including the Murphy twins can be very good on their day but like Newcastle are finding out that’s not often enough.

1 minute ago, clever trevor said:

He has not progressed at all

I mean, he is a regular starter for a Premier League club but sure.

From my experience, Norwich fans perfect winger is Elliot Bennett- hard working, diligent, tracks back but not actually much of a threat. Players like Redmond who try to make things happen don't get the love because they are seen as wasteful.

39 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What are you on about this time?

None so blind as those that cannot see.

Redmond is a very good player, playing in the wrong team, being asked to play a largely alien role. If he was available on loan, I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

Josh seems to be doing well at Cardiff and seems very popular but again, could find himself relegated due to the club he’s at.

Jacob is an odd one but Newcastle took a big gamble on a player who’d had only really half a decent season in the champs as his firm dropped off towards the end of his time with us.

I think Redmond will still go on to be very successful if Hughes gets the boot, Josh could do well as he could be a shining light in a poor team but Jacob is struggling to get in Newcastle’s team and even when he does and plays well, seems to get dropped again.

I hope they all do well but I can see them all at different clubs this time next season and who knows what league that will be in.

Would Jacob or Josh fit in with present requirements?   Would we be better if we had kept them?  The answer is no imo.  As for Redmond, would he fit in with present requirements? No, I don't believe he would - he is another who does not track back well. 

As for Snodgrass at West Ham, if he has been given a new lease of life by putting him central, then good for him, it might suit his ego to be in the middle and can feel he is the main man again - and he maybe doesn't have to track back so much - which he only ever did under suffrance imo.   You need players who absolutely buy in to what is required - he never did that at Norwich under Hughton, imo, trying to do it all on his own in attack, not always giving enough time to working back.

I think that is why Eliot Bennett was so popular and looked to be ready for the challenge in Hughton's second season - which was shortened by injury. He worked ever so hard tracking back as well as getting forwards when necessary - just what was needed and which we lacked for the rest of that season.  Redmond and Snodgrass wide, with not enough committed covering play to help the defence. Exactly what happened with Jacob and Josh - plenty of dash when they felt up to it, but lacking in the fundementals of the complete game. 

Just look at Buendia and Cantwell, full of talent AND the total commitment to the defensive side of the game - one of the main reasons we have tightened up defensivlely, with of course the combined talent of those two and Aarons and Lewis as full backs.  I enjoyed watching Josh, Jacob and Redmond, less so Snodgrass, but they have all moved on - and right now we are better than we ever were with any of them in the team. Imo.

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

As for Snodgrass - maybe doesn't have to track back so much - which he only ever did under suffrance imo.

...trying to do it all on his own in attack, not always giving enough time to working back.

Redmond and Snodgrass wide, with not enough committed covering play to help the defence.

I enjoyed watching Josh, Jacob and Redmond, less so Snodgrass...

I'm shocked. 🚮

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

We are.

Looks more like its just you. As per usual. Cant criticise your consistency mind.

To think that we banked over £45m for Redmond, Pritchard, and the two Murphy boys, for a cost of about £10m. None of them are really doing anything other than playing averagely well for not very good PL sides. It's likely that 3 of those will be playing Champs football next season.

Redmond should have made enough progress to be in the England team by now, but hasn't - his choice of club indicates his comfort level. Jacob left us at least a season too soon and was always going to struggle with the pressure cooker that is Newcastle. Pritchard just took the first PL club offer he could get to earn the money. Josh is the one which surprises me the most - Cardiff never had a prayer of surviving, so he has to impress enough to get a move to someone else and that ain't happening so far.

17 hours ago, sgncfc said:

To think that we banked over £45m for Redmond, Pritchard, and the two Murphy boys, for a cost of about £10m. None of them are really doing anything other than playing averagely well for not very good PL sides. It's likely that 3 of those will be playing Champs football next season.

Redmond should have made enough progress to be in the England team by now, but hasn't - his choice of club indicates his comfort level. Jacob left us at least a season too soon and was always going to struggle with the pressure cooker that is Newcastle. Pritchard just took the first PL club offer he could get to earn the money. Josh is the one which surprises me the most - Cardiff never had a prayer of surviving, so he has to impress enough to get a move to someone else and that ain't happening so far.

Looking at this through non Yellow and Green tinted glasses- all four of those players left to play at a higher level than they were with us. If roles were reversed and we were a Premier League team bidding for a midtable Championship teams players I think we'd expect them to join us.

Also no idea what you mean about Redmond's 'choice of club' - he can't make someone else buy him.

The 'can't defend' point is an interesting one.  In their development here or at their previous clubs, I suspect they were allowed to focus on the strengths of their game - running at defenders at pace, providing opportunities and scoring goals.  The modern game now needs players to do more than this and I get the feeling Farke wants the whole team to defend as well as attack.  That's why you see Lewis and Aarons bomb forward, and Buendia and Hernandez track back well.  Its also probably one of the reasons why Oliveira isn't involved.  Wonder how Huckerby would have been seen in this team...?

Edited by Woodman
correction

29 minutes ago, Woodman said:

The 'can't defend' point is an interesting one.  In their development here or at their previous clubs, I suspect they were allowed to focus on the strengths of their game - running at defenders at pace, providing opportunities and scoring goals.  The modern game now needs players to do more than this and I get the feeling Farke wants the whole team to defend as well as attack.  That's why you see Lewis and Aarons bomb forward, and Buendia and Hernandez track back well.  Its also probably why Oliveira isn't involved.  Wonder how Huckerby would have been seen in this team...?

Equally, Farke is a smart guy and knows sometimes letting someone take less defensive responsibility is important- Maddison being an obvious example.

We played three at the back often last year that I think best allowed for Maddison and Murphy to not be too concerned about defensive duties. What we missed in that formation though was consistent support from the wingbacks.

I miss that fact that the were "One of our own" and I miss the occasional goal and I miss the turn of speed they had. I don't miss the lack of invention, the easy way they were bullied off the ball and argued for a foul and I don't miss seeing Josh with hands on his hips on the halfway line whilst our defence were trying to smother a break,  (probably created by his loss of the ball).