Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

This was played late last night on Night Tracks and reminded me of the greatness of Thom Yorke. The song fits so well with The Peaky Blinders video.

• Like 1

A piece of music that you'll know but don't know why.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

A piece of music that you'll know but don't know why.

Definitely heard that before. Is it a TV advert? 

It's very lovely 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's very lovely 

Unless it's been put on here before I think it may be. I'd definitely heard it before. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's very lovely 

Try this.  Or the dubstep remix.  

Not sure what I'm supposed to make of the train going into the tunnel just before the couple in the advert get married..

Edited by Barbe bleu

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Try this.  Or the dubstep remix.  

Not sure what I'm supposed to make of the train going into the tunnel just before the couple in the advert get married..

I don't remember that at all. Did they use it with the black horse as well? 

43 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

The Likes of Us, the new album by Big Big Train and their first with new singer Alberto Bravin following the death of David Longdon.  Wonderful band and a wonderful album.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/the-likes-of-us/

I was sad to hear of his death. Quite young. And I used to like Master of Time a lot. A song that just builds and builds. 

11 hours ago, The Raptor said:

My new favourite cover.

Good cover of Maiden's Phantom Of The Opera too. 👍

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't remember that at all. Did they use it with the black horse as well? 

Good question.   Now you mention it I think you might be right, but that might be some sort of false memory

Thanks so much to Mr Angry and Mr Apples for the NMA memories. I watched Justin Sullivan do an acoustic version of Vengeance and it brought out the hairs down the back of my neck. He referenced Klaus Barbie.

There's very few who can put anger and injustice into a song.

Winter is a newer song of theirs. Still the same unsettling vibe and messages though.

• Like 2

Put A Night at The Opera on this afternoon, for some reason this song seems to have passed me by, simple but blatantly Queen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Put A Night at The Opera on this afternoon, for some reason this song seems to have passed me by, simple but blatantly Queen

That's a great album...

Posted (edited)

I like this version 

RIP 

Edited by Sheva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting re-obsessed with Donnie Darko lately. Fabulous soundtrack; I've only just found out who made this track (which definitely has echoes of Gorecki)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Getting re-obsessed with Donnie Darko lately. Fabulous soundtrack; I've only just found out who made this track (which definitely has echoes of Gorecki)

Thanks so much for this Ron. One of the all- time best films for me (easily in a top 10 anyway). It really has a soul... on the surface it's surreal but there are so many emotional themes just lurking beneath and the messages are far ahead of the time it was made. One of a few films that truly moves me. E.g. the way it shows how time 'moves' and is depicted is just mind blowing film making. All anchored with a terrific performance by the young Gyllenhaal. The ending of course surprises and is very moving.

The music choices are equally of note and really elevate the action as well as the more quiet moments. I'd forgotten how good this is. I love how writers interpret a film through a music score *

*I'm finally starting to compose stuff again myself after a gap of over 30 years (some songs but maybe 75% are filmic pieces...which is the job I always really wanted to do...but it would have needed huge luck I think and wouldn't have raised my family with the same level of financial certainty, not to say too, it would have required serious talent).

Edited by sonyc

Echo those sentiments sonyc. Personally I love art that is ambiguous & unresolved, working on different levels, it reflects the way the world seems to operate to me. Everything going on all together at the same time, contingent & impossible to disentangle. For me a good work of art is never prescriptive but suggests, points outward to an infinite world of possibilities - it applies to painting, poetry, sculpture, every field of artistic endeavour. And in doing so it tells us more about ourselves. Art is the science of complexity, & we know of nothing more complex than human beings.

Makes life bloody difficult sometimes though!

Anna Clyne keeps popping up on 3 recently so you deserve to hear it again too.

• Like 2