Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

New Beatles song released at 2.00 today. It will be played on R2 and R6 simultaneously 

It’s good but a Lennon solo rather than a Beatles track, if that makes sense. 

3 hours ago, Herman said:

It’s good but a Lennon solo rather than a Beatles track, if that makes sense. 

Quite so. I like it but I suspect that I would have liked it whatever it was like😊

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Released today in 1978, one of the best albums ever made

20231103_183407.jpg

I very much agree with this. A fantastic album 👍

*So good, I'm just playing it again

*I'm watching/listening to lyrics version on Amazon music...never noticed the fade out on 'In the Crowd' repeating Away from the numbers...

That may be me on a very non productive afternoon listening to the Jam.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

A great thing it is never to have heard of artists (or then read up about them). Such was the case with A J Potter.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 14:34, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I very much agree with this. A fantastic album 👍

*So good, I'm just playing it again

*I'm watching/listening to lyrics version on Amazon music...never noticed the fade out on 'In the Crowd' repeating Away from the numbers...

That may be me on a very non productive afternoon listening to the Jam.

Yes, a great album. Which was their best? Probably no answer to it really, though if pressed I might go for Sound Affects (for Monday and Man in the Corner Shop). Used to love Setting Sons too. Might be a contender. The Gift was more disappointing for me (yet still some strong songs in there) -  but then I seem to recall it was Weller changing his style and he had outgrown The Jam.

And I've been singing To Be Someone to be myself all this morning! All Mod Cons was my proper introduction to them, having missed In the City. I used to be the guitarist and songwriter in a band in 1980/81 and I've a tape of perhaps 4 of our tracks (properly produced) that could just as well have been Jam numbers, so much was I influenced by them then! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

A great thing it is never to have heard of artists (or then read up about them). Such was the case with A J Potter.

You’re back. Hurrah!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

You’re back. Hurrah!

Thank you. 

By the way, I followed up your TV watching suggestions a few months back and enjoyed Beef greatly. In fact, it was so well written and even made me think about things long after - that's so often the mark of good work. You keep thinking and the creativity of the writer continues to affect you. A bit like a piece of art, you continue to get something from a painting year after year.

... So, alongside Succession I could make a case that Beef was a highlight of 2023. I hope they do another series.

Anyway, let me offer something back (and to return to the music themed thread) I recall you liked hearing the workings of an instrument in a production. The work of Linda Rum might be worth exploring. A very short piece offered here. Only two comments! Her work doesn't seem well known. Link to her here too:

https://lindarum.com/

• Thanks 1

For those interested, John Coltrane is composer of the week on Radio 3. Today's episode is very good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2023 at 13:15, Herman said:

For those interested, John Coltrane is composer of the week on Radio 3. Today's episode is very good. 

Thanks Herman, really enjoying the first one now and I’ve downloaded two more episodes for my long journey to the big smoke and back tomorrow. However, I should point out that it’s John and Alice Coltrane. There are those of us who, if forced to chose, would be Team Alice first, so even better that she is part of this.

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Thanks Herman, really enjoying the first one now and I’ve downloaded two more episodes for my long journey to the big smoke and back tomorrow. However, I should point out that it’s John and Alice Coltrane. There are those of us who, if forced to chose, would be Team Alice first, so even better that she is part of this.

Yes my apologies for missing out Alice. Her solo story starts tomorrow. I don't know much of her music but what I have heard I have liked, so looking forward to her show.

Today's was a tougher listen as it focused on John's later music. Enjoyable nonetheless, although one part did sound like geese fighting.😄

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yes my apologies for missing out Alice. Her solo story starts tomorrow. I don't know much of her music but what I have heard I have liked, so looking forward to her show.

Today's was a tougher listen as it focused on John's later music. Enjoyable nonetheless, although one part did sound like geese fighting.😄

It’s called “Dad’s sh1t jazz” in our house.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Ooh yeah. She's good. You'll enjoy that episode. 👍👍

• Like 1

I missed out on Tears For Fears the first time round but it's great just to be able to jump in 30+ years later. I recall when I fell for a woman (who is now Mrs S!), just how I felt at the time and that first line "I wanted to be with you all alone and talk about the weather" in Head Over Heels described things so well!

Talking to a producer bloke recently he told me that Roland is the musician's musician. The real deal. The follow up album (to.the Big Chair) Sowing the Seeds of Love took I believe, over 3 years to mix and master, such was the attention to detail. A lot of their output is deeply political too.

Two songs here to take us back to the 80s. Curt Smith had an angelic voice too. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I missed out on Tears For Fears the first time round but it's great just to be able to jump in 30+ years later. I recall when I met (who is now Mrs S!), just how I felt at the time and that first line "I wanted to be with you all alone and talk about the weather" in Head Over Heels described things well!

Talking to a producer bloke recently he told me that Roland is the musician's musician. The real deal. The follow up album (to.the Big Chair) Sowing the Seeds of Love took I believe, over 3 years to mix and master, such was the attention to detail. A lot of their output is deeply political too.

Two songs here to take us back to the 80s. Curt Smith had an angelic voice too. 

Woman in chains is a great song too

• Like 1