Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Found this one from the early 60s. Was only a B side but perfectly illustrates the wall of sound that Phil Spector used on so many productions

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 20:27, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Speaking of Albini, here is a cover version he did of Kraftwerk's "The Model"

I can't mention the name of the album, though it may be visible in the link 😃

A long read for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/15/the-evolution-of-steve-albini-if-the-dumbest-person-is-on-your-side-youre-on-the-wrong-side

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2023 at 20:13, Midlands Yellow said:

Not a big fan of his stuff in general, but I love this.

On 16/08/2023 at 20:45, Midlands Yellow said:

When you’ve finished night shifts and have 3 days off.

Brilliant tragic disco. 

Not what I’m listening to, but what Freddie Mercury listened to. This is from an auction of some of his possessions, and I clicked on the link out of curiosity when I saw it described as “terrible” (and small - ?).

I started reading down the list nodding my head at Go West, Anita Dobson (possibly he gets a pass on this because wasn’t she married to Brian May?), Bros, Sheena Easton and so on but as I carried on, I started to think “terrible” is unfair. Like most of us I suspect there are (a few) classics (After The Gold Rush, Sign 'O' The Times, Led Zeppelin (if you like that sort of thing), Beatles) and some things bought on the spur of the moment that you probably never play again after six months. Also a fair few of what you might call guilty pleasures or pop classics depending on your stance/ mood like Living on a Prayer, Rock me Amadeus, All Around the World etc.

Should I be surprised how  like us these “iconic” figures often are?

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2023/freddie-mercury-a-world-of-his-own-crazy-little-things-1/freddie-mercury-his-personal-record-collection

Edited by Nuff Said
Repetition repetition
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Not what I’m listening to, but what Freddie Mercury listened to. This is from an auction of some of his possessions, and I clicked on the link out of curiosity when I saw it described as “terrible” (and small - ?).

I started reading down the list nodding my head at Go West, Anita Dobson (possibly he gets a pass on this because wasn’t she married to Brian May?), Bros, Sheena Easton and so on but as I carried on, I started to think “terrible” is unfair. Like most of us I suspect there are (a few) classics (After The Gold Rush, Sign 'O' The Times, Led Zeppelin (if you like that sort of thing), Beatles) and a fair few of things bought on the spur of the moment that you probably never play again after six months. Also a fair few of what you might call guilty pleasures or pop classics depending on your stance/ mood like Living on a Prayer, Rock me Amadeus, All Around the World etc.

Should I be surprised how  like us these “iconic” figures often are?

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2023/freddie-mercury-a-world-of-his-own-crazy-little-things-1/freddie-mercury-his-personal-record-collection

Nice to see ELP in there too.

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just heard this on the radio. The lawyers representing the estate of the late David Bowie are sharpening their pencils😱

Sadly the Bowie estate sold his back catalog for hundreds of millions. This will be a record label making money off his work - I understand he has a writing credit on this absolute sack of sh1t.

• Thanks 1

Best film scores as voted by Classic FM listeners last week. Ennio Morricone got in with The Mission but no Cinema Paradiso or others. Perhaps Classic FM listeners don't watch foreign language films. 

I had no idea Maurice Jarr wrote the Zhivago music. I have gone through life thinking it was John Williams! 

Screenshot_20230831_113949_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4fc0726eeab1d08413889d835620d9ce.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Best film scores as voted by Classic FM listeners last week. Ennio Morricone got in with The Mission but no Cinema Paradiso or others. Perhaps Classic FM listeners don't watch foreign language films. 

I had no idea Maurice Jarr wrote the Zhivago music. I have gone through life thinking it was John Williams! 

Screenshot_20230831_113949_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4fc0726eeab1d08413889d835620d9ce.jpg

Number 2 is a work of genius but you have to be in the right frame of mood, for obvious reasons. 

Any Johann Johannsson in the list?

Another person that loves a reference to On The Buses. (Not a big fan of his normally but I like this one.)

On 31/08/2023 at 11:42, dylanisabaddog said:

Williams the best for me. Probably because I like most of the films but so many hummable tunes. Even the more low key stuff -Jazz piano in catch me if you can. Spent months apparently trying out 5 note combos for close encounters. There is something particularly haunting about that godfather trumpet solo tho. 

I also like the more recent work of trent reznor and Johnny greenwood. Alot is more sound/noise based rather than melodic but it really works.

• Like 2

Superman. I'd forgotten he did that. As soon as you hear it it's obvious! 

Thanks to spotify. First 4 john Williams songs? 

Cantina band

Imperial march

Jurrasic Park 

Superman 

Downhill now...

Jw uses alot of 3/4 time as well. Or maybe not. Might be just as I'm listening to Harry potter bit also the ET main theme ( bike in front of the moon) they may be the only 2...

As someone who has tried to play the saxophone for a long time, **** Morrisey was to me the best British player. And with Jimmy Mullen created some great music. If you have a copy of their Live at Ronnie Scotts you have a masterpiece. I haven't and unlikely to ever get one.