Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Tonight's prom on R3 at 20:00hrs is an orchestral version of Northern Soul.

Curated by writer and broadcaster Stuart Maconie, the Northern Soul Prom is here to get you on your feet. With new orchestral arrangements by Joe Duddell and Fiona Brice, this stomping celebration of British club culture brings a symphonic edge to the beats that took English towns across the industrial North and Midlands by storm in the 1960s and 1970s. What began as a celebration of forgotten American soul B-sides became a euphoric release at all-night dances for factory workers. Some of the classic tracks bering performed include ‘You’re Gonna Make Me Love You’, ‘Open the Door to Your Heart’, ‘It Really Hurts Me Girl’, ‘Hold Back the Night’, ‘Time Will Pass You By’ and ‘Just Like the Weather’.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Curated by writer and broadcaster Stuart Maconie, the Northern Soul Prom is here to get you on your feet. With new orchestral arrangements by Joe Duddell and Fiona Brice, this stomping celebration of British club culture brings a symphonic edge to the beats that took English towns across the industrial North and Midlands by storm in the 1960s and 1970s. What began as a celebration of forgotten American soul B-sides became a euphoric release at all-night dances for factory workers. Some of the classic tracks bering performed include ‘You’re Gonna Make Me Love You’, ‘Open the Door to Your Heart’, ‘It Really Hurts Me Girl’, ‘Hold Back the Night’, ‘Time Will Pass You By’ and ‘Just Like the Weather’.

Going to my first ever Prom at the end of August. Only £20 a ticket. Bargain.

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/proms/bbc-proms-2023/prom-58-jon-hopkins-with-the-bbc-so-and-jules-buckley/

19 hours ago, Herman said:

Route on Twitter: "Happy birthday to Gladys Knight, 75 today. Any excuse to  share this classic Viz joke... https://t.co/610VKfXjjw" / Twitter

Gladys Knight on BBC4.👍

Such a great song. I once heard someone interviewed say what a great vocal performance it was by Gladys Knight. It pales by comparison with the backing vocals for me. When they “woo, woo”… perfection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Such a great song. I once heard someone interviewed say what a great vocal performance it was by Gladys Knight. It pales by comparison with the backing vocals for me. When they “woo, woo”… perfection. 

Some great moves from the Pips.

14 hours ago, Herman said:

Some great moves from the Pips.

Quality. They don’t make them like that any more, they put some thought and care into those outfits and moves. You could walk past in the street half the “artists” in the charts today and expect them to be selling the Big Issue. 🤬

IMG_5175.gif

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 08:30, A Load of Squit said:

This was better than I thought it would be and worth a listen if you enjoy Northern Soul. Available on BBC Sounds. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 19:13, Herman said:

The perfect gig?? Good bands, cheapish tickets and a five minute walk from my house. If I was still drinking there are 4 pubs and a social club in the area too.

https://www.folkbytheoak.com/

Now that was a good festival. Highly recommended for anyone that likes a more civilised and calmer festival. Finished off brilliantly by The Waterboys.

p?i=5b7f608fe233f2519c68dd78e7db5b1d

• Like 2

Just come back from seeing The WonderStuff at a 750 capacity venue in Liverpool, one of the best live bands ever, seen them 20+ times and they never disappoint.

• Like 1

Wondered if someone had written a song taking the rip out of modern pop music then realised these guys did it years ago.

Tony Hawks has certainly got up to some funny things when not hitchhiking around Ireland with a fridge, playing Moldovan footballers at tennis or indeed teaming up with the late Norman Wisdom to create a hit song in Albania.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Corinne Bailey Rae has gone from a middle of the road, nice soul singer to a New York Riot Grrrl. And it ain't too bad.

18 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Found a nice copy of What's Going On the other day, great album

I bought a copy of this for my brother last month-he said he wanted an album that was listed in the Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums of all time-he gave me a choice of this, The Joshua Tree or Purple Rain. Just checked the list and didn't realise that Marvin Gaye was number 1!

I'm also not sure how I feel about the fact that I've only got 8 albums out of the Top 500!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I'm also not sure how I feel about the fact that I've only got 8 albums out of the Top 500!

Just looked, I've got 27, don't think any of us would agree with that list though, no Four Tops or Temptations. Rattus would be in my top 20