Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

Moving Marc Riley to later and squeezing him in with Gideon. They have gone from 20 hours to 8 between them. A few other moves, some good some bad. 

They should reunite Mark and Lard, absolutely loved them from Hit The North right up until they left Radio 1.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

They should reunite Mark and Lard, absolutely loved them from Hit The North right up until they left Radio 1.

I loved that show but Radcliffe seems a bit dismissive of it. Not sure why. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I loved that show but Radcliffe seems a bit dismissive of it. Not sure why. 

Trying to pretend that he’s grown up? We listen to him and Stuart Maconie, when it’s just Stuart it is still interesting but when it’s just Mark it’s really dull-strange, maybe the folk music is having an adverse effect on him!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Trying to pretend that he’s grown up? We listen to him and Stuart Maconie, when it’s just Stuart it is still interesting but when it’s just Mark it’s really dull-strange, maybe the folk music is having an adverse effect on him!

A shout out for Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone too. Goes out on a Sunday night, although it’s also on Sounds like everything else.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Herman said:

I heard this on Marc Riley last night. There's only a poor version on YT so I'll leave this link. Nina Nastasia at 21.50.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001kmg0

Friends were talking about her after the game yesterday. One saw her the other week. amazing but a bit miserable he said! She's got another gig coming up in Cambridge I'm tempted to go to. 

EDIT. Scrap that. Cambridge is tonight!

Edited by The Raptor

5 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Friends were talking about her after the game yesterday. One saw her the other week. amazing but a bit miserable he said! She's got another gig coming up in Cambridge I'm tempted to go to. 

EDIT. Scrap that. Cambridge is tonight!

There's still tickets apparently but probably a bit late. The three songs played were very good but on the darker, maudlin side.

Back in my younger days of being in a band we used to rehearse in a cellar of a terraced house. Pretty much the occupants were nocturnal. Anyway, this band came to stay one night (think from Manchester) as they were playing in Leeds and Bradford. Gave our bassist a tape and since I became a fan of their stuff (think it was Script of the Bridge..about 1983/4).

Loved The Fan The Bellows (typical of their stuff were the two lead guitars working against each other) ..... they had some great songs. Three here including above track. Some lyricist too - thoughtful.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

There's still tickets apparently but probably a bit late. The three songs played were very good but on the darker, maudlin side.

Yeah too far from Norwich now. If you're not aware she's had a pretty rough life which would explain the darkness of the songs. I can't remember the details but she was in an abusive relationship for years which she eventually got out of. Shortly after that her ex partner took his own life. Given those circumstances I doubt I'd be writing jolly pop songs either poor lady

• Sad 1

On 11/04/2023 at 17:39, Herman said:

I heard this on Marc Riley last night. There's only a poor version on YT so I'll leave this link. Nina Nastasia at 21.50.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001kmg0

Nina Nastasia is BACK?!?

Wow, that passed me by. I've just found out that she made a new album last year; that's my next download 

I saw her 20 years ago in Brighton at some Radio 1 John Peel event. Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were also on 

I've missed the UK leg of the tour, I might try and get over to Europe as she still has some dates there 

Also just seen a guardian article from last year where she went into some detail about her relationship with her ex 😔

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Herman said:

Thanks @How I Wrote Elastic Man and @The Raptor 👍

I didn't know much about her but found the article, which explains quite a lot. The links with Albini and Oldham are also interesting to me. I will check more out about her.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/12/songwriter-nina-nastasia-abuse-grief-psychosis-john-peel-steve-albini-laura-marling

Speaking of Albini, here is a cover version he did of Kraftwerk's "The Model"

I can't mention the name of the album, though it may be visible in the link 😃

• Like 1

Another cover. A whole 2 hours of 6Music dedicated to the 70th birthday of Kim Gordon and this popped up.😀

• Like 1

This one is for Purple the Philistine. King of the bottlenech Derek Trucks. The solo and the gradual increase in intensity between Derk and the drummers knock Bolero behind the River End.

Used to listen to these a lot as a boy. They inspired a lot of imagination. (Peter Noone is still going).

• Like 1