Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Calling it early

Purple do you mean another season like this next season hoping that it will come good it season 3 ?

i agree if we see good progress say top 8 finish playing better and scoring more goals

but if things stay the same then it will have to change we can not wait for a 3rd season with more excuses from Farke and Webber

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Purple do you mean another season like this next season hoping that it will come good it season 3 ?

i agree if we see good progress say top 8 finish playing better and scoring more goals

but if things stay the same then it will have to change we can not wait for a 3rd season with more excuses from Farke and Webber[/quote]I was going on the situation you outlined, which was it all coming together -  ie challenging for promotion back to the Premier League - in Farke''s third season. Given Norwich City''s place in the football pecking order and our lack of money compared with many Championship clubs I would be fine with that. A few seasons in mid-table in the Championship would hardly be unusual for us. That is a realistic view - from the swivel chair in my study.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]What is the view from the kitchen ;-)[/quote]The below-stairs staff don''t have much of an opinion on football...

Ha ! i do want a settled manager i think everybody does but i just think you need to see progress ,

if next season is the same as this season keep the ball with slow build up lack of scoring and the Defence still leaking then something has to change as it is unlikely to change so dramatically that the 3rd season we would challenge for a top 6 position

@norfolkngood

Exactly.

I think Nick Mashiter had it right when he said Norwich fans have been remarkably patient this season and I don''t think it can last.

If we''re 10 games in and still playing slow, sideways passing and not scoring much then I think that patience goes.

[quote user="Making Plans"]I also called it early, early October as I recall.

Farke is out of his depth, the Webberlution won''t work, 4th division German players and tippy tappy football will get you nowhere in this league.

And unless things change then next season, without half our current team, will be worse.

Don''t let them brainwash you, success is impossible until Webber and Farke are shown the door.[/quote]

Um....except it did kind of work didn''t it, as we know because we didn''t get relegated, we reduced the wagebill and the average age of the squad which is what they said they would do. Zimmermann was a stand out performer, as was Leitner.

And I suspect that the half of our current team we are losing will be replaced by some other players.

Promotion isn''t the only measure of success - it wasn''t even a realistic expectation by anybody with half a brain. Next season though may be different - Farke has already said he expects us to challenge; which means we must be in with a shout of the top six.

And just in case you didn''t notice, Wolves and Fulham both play possession football - just that they played it better than we did, more of the time.

because we didn''t get relegated

i expect more than that with the players STILL at the club

people talk about players that left we still have a lot of players that would get into most champ teams

they have not played to the best of their ability now either that is tactics / pace of build up / Head coach etc i do not know but this squad should have done better this season

There has been a big turnover of players within the club and i doubt that has finished yet.I don''t think the club were expecting achallenge this year as a result and the influx of promising young players suggests next season may be similar. However we do need to step up a gear and i expect improvemnets next year and we must be challenging the year after.Less than ten goals from your two main strikers together will never get anyone promoted.

Maddison leaves for c £20m and is replaced from within the squad. The c£20m financial hole is (perhaps) filled. The remaining squad all improve via increased experience. The Manager and coaching staff improve via increased experience. All other things remain broadly static (injuries, luck, etc).

We would likely still be a bit worse than we are now, wouldn’t we?

As Purple says, this coming year is the least likely to show progress and improvement. Once this coming season of cuts and adjustment is navigated, then we achieve the zero equation of sustainability. From there balance and stability, without inevitable financial and sporting regression, can be maintained.

Whether that (year 3) sustainable level can achieve success - in the eyes of the fans or in terms of challenging or achieving promotion- is an entirely different question.

Parma

As Purple says, this coming year is the least likely to show progress and improvement

The Board are going to have to be mighty brave to sit through another season without showing signs of Improvement and progress just because Webber and Farke have told them THERE may be success and the end of 3rd season

i think the right headcoach and the right tactic would get instant improvement out of this squad

we are waiting for something that might ever happen

I can''t see ''the masses'' accepting another season of transition.

I think the club should be going all out this summer to cut it''s losses on those who are creating such a strain on it''s finances without contributing to the success on the pitch (Naismith et al).

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Maddison leaves for c £20m and is replaced from within the squad. The c£20m financial hole is (perhaps) filled. The remaining squad all improve via increased experience. The Manager and coaching staff improve via increased experience. All other things remain broadly static (injuries, luck, etc).

We would likely still be a bit worse than we are now, wouldn’t we? As Purple says, this coming year is the least likely to show progress and improvement. Once this coming season of cuts and adjustment is navigated, then we achieve the zero equation of sustainability. From there balance and stability, without inevitable financial and sporting regression, can be maintained.

Whether that (year 3) sustainable level can achieve success - in the eyes of the fans or in terms of challenging or achieving promotion- is an entirely different question.

Parma[/quote]Yes, Parma, but that is only the sunny view[<:o)] from the sun lounger[H] on my palm-tree fringed terrace.[ip] Apparently if I was sitting on a beer crate in a darkened cellar I would see things very differently...[8o|]

I think it is more the fact that it is easier to accept another season of not being competietive if you''re not spending £500+ a year on going to games...

[quote user="king canary"]I think it is more the fact that it is easier to accept another season of not being competietive if you''re not spending £500+ a year on going to games...[/quote]That may be so. I wouldn''t know. If it is a fact it is not a fact that applies to me.

Going to four games can cost some people upwards of £500 in terms of travel, hotels sometimes and tickets. Anyhow, trying to judge fans on how much money is spent is a bit flawed to say the least.

I''m not trying to judge fans. I''m just saying that if you don''t go every week and sink a large chunk of money into it (my season ticket + travel etc cost me north of £1k last season for instance) that it is a bit easier to put up with boring seasons of non-competitive football.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m not trying to judge fans. I''m just saying that if you don''t go every week and sink a large chunk of money into it (my season ticket + travel etc cost me north of £1k last season for instance) that it is a bit easier to put up with boring seasons of non-competitive football.[/quote]I''d agree about the amount of matches, but not the large chunk of money.   Going to three or four home games a season and occasional away matches for a long distance fan is very expensive, well over £1000 for me.

[quote user="king canary"]Apologies if not, I''m sure I saw you say you''d been to 4 games this year...[/quote]You remember correctly. Normally it is five or six, but just the four this time. Factor in the cost of my season ticket and travel expenses from somewhere not near Norfolk and what I spend would certainly be more than enough to validate my opinions - if that was genuine criterion. But, as ldc says, it is not.

Paying so much money to be an armchair fan is something that will take a while to compute. I expect a label will be found eventually....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Paying so much money to be an armchair fan is something that will take a while to compute. I expect a label will be found eventually....[/quote]Another variation on the PUP''s theme.....Paid Up Plastic. [:D]

The seat next to me has been used only a handful of times this last season (upper Barclay block C), but never seems to be available to buy....is that yours, Purple?

I think it is more the fact that it is easier to accept another season of not being competietive if you''re not spending £500+ a year on going to games...

It is easier to accept as you get older I would say but I doubt money has anything to do with following your club from pastures a long way away.

When I first came to Cornwall in 1980, it didn''t occur to me that it was easier for me after a 6-1 drubbing at Middlesborough.