Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

3 reasons why it shouldn't be Irvine

Pinkun report that the top brass want Alan Irvine.

I really do not want him and for three pretty obvious (to me) reasons:

1) He is part of the coaching set up that has failed us. We need a fresh broom.

2) He seems very unbothered. Has spoken of not needing the money and happy if he gets to enjoy retirement and play golf etc... with one eye on his slippers- would lack the passion and intensity needed

3) He is a nice bloke. These players need a rocket in their pants. He doesnt strike me as the man to light it.

I don''t see any reason why Irvine couldn''t be part of the set-up, but as he says he won''t be/hasn''t applied/isn''t in the running for the top job and it''s down to whoever comes in. That''s fair enough - and imo if they rate him and have a spot spare, they could do worse.

Quote from Irvine in the article :

What Stuart did say to me is the board would like me to be here next season but the realistic thing is the new head coach will make that decision,”

Which is fair enough and makes it clear that Irvine is not going to be the head coach.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Did you just read the headline?

[/quote]
I''m not sure he''s even read that in it''s entirety.

Fair enough if the leaders rate him and want to give him a behind the scenes role - his reputation is good

but given the rumoured shangri-la at comfy colney anyone this squad of players want to stay needs to be cleared out.

he has already said he does not want the head coach/manager job

he has already been told he will not get the head coach/manager job

“What Stuart did say to me is the board would like me to be here next season but the realistic thing is the new head coach will make that decision,” quote from the article, he is not going to be head coach/manager

But three others have been released as well. Three positions to fill.

And will there be an assistant head coach?

But weren''t those 3 in recruitment / technical roles, not day to day coaches?

As AI says, the new Head Coach is likely to want his own men, which might mean Frank McAvoy, Alan Irvine, Dean Kiely and some of the other fitness coaches will also leave.

Seems a number of people haven''t digested the implications of the structural change and what Stuart Webber''s arrival as Director of Football actually means. The club has shown a readiness to change; some posters are clearly struggling to do the same.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Just shows how clueless the board are if they want Irvine to stay![/quote]

See TCCANARY''s question.

FFS!

Irvine now saying that Martin is a good captain and should stay!

Please Stuart, get rid of the crap now, I can''t take much more of this being spouted out.

[quote user="Number 9"]Irvine now saying that Martin is a good captain and should stay!

Please Stuart, get rid of the crap now, I can''t take much more of this being spouted out.[/quote]Repeat after me for as long as it takes: "Martin WILL stay", "Martin WILL stay" .......

Why the hell wouldn''t Martin stay? We have plenty of players who should go before Martin…some of our supporters seem to let prejudice dictate what they want, but I suppose that''s not surprising.

Why would he be asked to stay?

He has been Captain of some abysmal performances and doesn''t lead on the pitch.

Oh yeah, and that bit about him being a pretty poor defender.

I''d like to see Alan Irvine be given the U23 Head Coach job - the club have yet to replace the last guy.

Irvine made his reputation working with young players and is well regarded in that area. The club are looking for someone to fill that role so rather than add yet another job for Stuart Webber just move AI across and the new Head Coach can bring in his own people as assistant coach and first team coach.

(I presume both Kiely and the Nick Davis, the fitness coach, will stay)

Thanks Bethnal, I didn''t know the name of the fitness coach. Agreed, there would be too many to replace if the Head Coach got rid of McAvoy, Kiely, Irvine and Nick Davis. Moving him to the U23s would be an excellent way to keep him at the club and give the new coaching team the opportunity to put their own stamp on the team.

He says he has never applied for a job, but has a good reputation, so I can see other clubs approaching him to be their manager.

If Irvine is such a good U23 coach, why has he been so reluctant to give Maddison or Godfrey a bit of game time?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]If Irvine is such a good U23 coach, why has he been so reluctant to give Maddison or Godfrey a bit of game time?[/quote]Is being the first team coach and ''reluctant'' to play U23 players a guide to your suitability at being the coach of the U23 team?