Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Top two

I hope we win all our remaining games and get top two. However I don''t think either will happen.

It''ll be a relief when the top two is confirmed so this absurdly optimistic thread can die.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I hope we win all our remaining games and get top two. However I don''t think either will happen.

It''ll be a relief when the top two is confirmed so this absurdly optimistic thread can die.[/quote]If we don''t win our games, the thread will wither of it''s own accord. But if we keep winning........the target will still be in sight.  Play offs or top two - it''s everything still to play for.

All we can do is keep winning, yes we ''expected'' autos, or at least to be close but after our poor run we would accept playoffs, and hopefully going into them in form too.

Who knows what might happen? But if we don''t do our part of the bargain we only have ourselves to blame.

Eminently sensible and realistic post from Greavsy

Lakey should be commended for playing these fellas so well.👍

[quote user="VanWink"]None so blind....[/quote]Indeed, Spoony Mcspoonface....[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/13305579-Couple-with-two-wooden-spoons-on-front-of-her-eyes-Stock-Photo_zpsblkqcqx1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/13305579-Couple-with-two-wooden-spoons-on-front-of-her-eyes-Stock-Photo_zpsblkqcqx1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I think we can all agree the playoffs are definitely achievable[/quote]Yes - but to do that we have to keep winning - and that is part of my point - keep winning.  And if we keep winning to the end of the season you never know, 90-93 points might well be enough for second. Just looked at Huddersfield''s next few fixtures - Man City, cup distractionhome to Reading - not easyaway to Barnsley - def not easyaway to Wolves - not easyhome to Newcastle - far from easy followed by two away matches6 league games that could get them only 9 out of 18 points. Puts them on around 70 pointsReading''s next six fixtures - away to Huddersfield - draw would be good for usaway to brighton - draw would be goodhome to wolves - should be 3 pointshome to Newcastle - 1 pointaway to preston - 1-3 pointsaway to sheff wed - 1 point, maybeSo maybe 10 points out of 18Puts them on around 70 points Leeds next six fixtures - away to ipswich home to sheff wedaway to Brumaway at Fulhamhome to qprhome to brightonMaybe 9 points out of 18 there, no more than 12 imo. Puts them on around 70 points tooShef Wed next six fixtures -away to foresthome to brentfordaway to leedshome to norwichhome to burtonaway to villa Maybe 12 points there too (big game against us obviously)Puts them on around 67/68 points.

So - the concertina effect is easy to see. Four clubs all around the same amount of points - with eight games to go. As for Brighton''s next six fixtures - away at Barnsley - 1 pointhome to Reading - draw, hopefully.home to Newcastle - newcastle win? away at forest - draw?away at Rotherham - win? home to Derby - winSay 10 - 12 points.Puts them on 75/77 pointsNewcastle - the most interesting fixtures - home villahome bristolaway brightonaway huddersfieldaway readinghome fulhamThat set of fixtures could go either way, but if they have a bad run with the pressure of those difficult away games, they could drop back.Say they only got 9-10 points there, that would put them on 76/77 points.   Win our next six games - away to Burtonhome to Ipswichaway Shef Wedaway Bristol Cityhome Blackburn home Barnsley6 games that could - should - get us 15-16 out of 18, or even 18 out of 18.15 out of 18 puts us on 66 points. 18, obviously would put us on 69 points.With the gap closing as I predict - the concertina effect - with eight games to go, second club could be on 75-76 points. At that stage we could be as little as 6 or 7 points off second place. In that situation, week by week would be more and more interesting.  Any faltering by any club in those last eight games gives the advantage to the others.  With eight games left and if we win our matches, we could quite possibly be on the tails of second place by the last game or two of the season. Then it would be very interesting in the last two games.  90-93 points does it.

Legitimate argument and well reasoned Lakey.I like the cut of your jib👍

Which of the top two would be the more likely to start to crumble in your opinion?

[quote user="lake district canary"]90-93 points does it.[/quote]
We are not going to win 14 games in a row or win 13 of 14 games, but by all means please continue making yourself look like a complete and utter idiot.

With the greatest of respect you''ve ignored our fixtures, there''s some very tough ones in there too. Our away record has been inconsistent all season and the injuries are piling up. Getting the playoffs is a realistic achievement; top two would require a miraculous run and a lot of fixtures going in our favour.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I''m not sure why I keep reiterating the unlikeliness as 99% of this thread is saying the same.[/quote]Because, as usual, the OP won''t admit that he has maybe got it wrong?

Teams at the top are there for a reason - because they''ve been consistently good over the season. Newcastle and Brighton aren''t suddenly going to collapse, especially with the experience of Benitez and Hughton, added to the fact that there a some very poor teams in the division still to play. And even if those two had a wobble, Leeds, Huddersfield, Wednesday and Reading would be there to sneak in. There''s no hope of the top five all suddenly having a collapse at the same time.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Teams at the top are there for a reason - because they''ve been consistently good over the season. Newcastle and Brighton aren''t suddenly going to collapse, especially with the experience of Benitez and Hughton, added to the fact that there a some very poor teams in the division still to play. And even if those two had a wobble, Leeds, Huddersfield, Wednesday and Reading would be there to sneak in. There''s no hope of the top five all suddenly having a collapse at the same time.[/quote]The likeliest thing I can see is Huddersfield (currently top of the form table) sneaking into 2nd.

[quote user="VanWink"]Legitimate argument and well reasoned Lakey.I like the cut of your jib👍

Which of the top two would be the more likely to start to crumble in your opinion?[/quote]Newcastle have the toughest fixtures in the next few weeks, if they start to lose it, they could be in for the biggest fall. Brighton though could start to tighten up.  It''s difficult to tell which may fall away, but it is in our interests imo, that one of them pulls away from the rest and the other falls back. If they both start to fall away, that wouldn''t necessarily help us, as it would probably mean the others in the top six have had better results against them, which wouldn''t help our cause.If both Brighton and Newcastle maintain form, that means they will have had good results against others in the top six. That helps us to a play off position, but wouldn''t help us get up to second, which is what of course I am still hoping for.  However, it is all based on us putting an unprecedented run of victories together, which of course is the main issue - but in the end, imo, we will be a lot closer to second position than many might think at the moment.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="VanWink"]Legitimate argument and well reasoned Lakey.I like the cut of your jib👍

Which of the top two would be the more likely to start to crumble in your opinion?[/quote]Newcastle have the toughest fixtures in the next few weeks, if they start to lose it, they could be in for the biggest fall. Brighton though could start to tighten up.  It''s difficult to tell which may fall away, but it is in our interests imo, that one of them pulls away from the rest and the other falls back. If they both start to fall away, that wouldn''t necessarily help us, as it would probably mean the others in the top six have had better results against them, which wouldn''t help our cause.If both Brighton and Newcastle maintain form, that means they will have had good results against others in the top six. That helps us to a play off position, but wouldn''t help us get up to second, which is what of course I am still hoping for.  However, it is all based on us putting an unprecedented run of victories together, which of course is the main issue - but in the end, imo, we will be a lot closer to second position than many might think at the moment.  [/quote]But not actually in 2nd place....

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I think we can all agree the playoffs are definitely achievable[/quote]Yes - but to do that we have to keep winning - and that is part of my point - keep winning.  And if we keep winning to the end of the season you never know, 90-93 points might well be enough for second. Just looked at Huddersfield''s next few fixtures - Man City, cup distractionhome to Reading - not easyaway to Barnsley - def not easyaway to Wolves - not easyhome to Newcastle - far from easy followed by two away matches6 league games that could get them only 9 out of 18 points. Puts them on around 70 pointsReading''s next six fixtures - away to Huddersfield - draw would be good for usaway to brighton - draw would be goodhome to wolves - should be 3 pointshome to Newcastle - 1 pointaway to preston - 1-3 pointsaway to sheff wed - 1 point, maybeSo maybe 10 points out of 18Puts them on around 70 points Leeds next six fixtures - away to ipswich home to sheff wedaway to Brumaway at Fulhamhome to qprhome to brightonMaybe 9 points out of 18 there, no more than 12 imo. Puts them on around 70 points tooShef Wed next six fixtures -away to foresthome to brentfordaway to leedshome to norwichhome to burtonaway to villa Maybe 12 points there too (big game against us obviously)Puts them on around 67/68 points.

So - the concertina effect is easy to see. Four clubs all around the same amount of points - with eight games to go. As for Brighton''s next six fixtures - away at Barnsley - 1 pointhome to Reading - draw, hopefully.home to Newcastle - newcastle win? away at forest - draw?away at Rotherham - win? home to Derby - winSay 10 - 12 points.Puts them on 75/77 pointsNewcastle - the most interesting fixtures - home villahome bristolaway brightonaway huddersfieldaway readinghome fulhamThat set of fixtures could go either way, but if they have a bad run with the pressure of those difficult away games, they could drop back.Say they only got 9-10 points there, that would put them on 76/77 points.   Win our next six games - away to Burtonhome to Ipswichaway Shef Wedaway Bristol Cityhome Blackburn home Barnsley6 games that could - should - get us 15-16 out of 18, or even 18 out of 18.15 out of 18 puts us on 66 points. 18, obviously would put us on 69 points.With the gap closing as I predict - the concertina effect - with eight games to go, second club could be on 75-76 points. At that stage we could be as little as 6 or 7 points off second place. In that situation, week by week would be more and more interesting.  Any faltering by any club in those last eight games gives the advantage to the others.  With eight games left and if we win our matches, we could quite possibly be on the tails of second place by the last game or two of the season. Then it would be very interesting in the last two games.  90-93 points does it.

[/quote]Well Lakey, looking at that little list, you have used  the maybe route for all 6 clubs above us to grab between 9 to 12 points in all their next 6 games , yet somehow City could and should get 15 to 18 points. But be honest, do you REALLY think that is going to happen?