Sign in to follow this  
Skip

McGovern

Alex: "Yeah Delia we need to sign another keeper as Declan isn''t really looking up to it, despite resembling David De Gea"Delia: "Do you have anyone in mind, at all Alex, and nothing daft like an old mate, or someone who has just had a good tournament"Alex: "Well I have this old mate, who just happens to have had a good tournament too"Delia: "That sounds just like what we need, have a big bag of money"It happened exactly like that, I have sources.

Did well at the Euros, we signed him, started off well and looked confident. Then the whole defence and him lost form. I wouldn''t say he''s worse than Ruddy, but Ruddy will now get his chance again. Hopefully step up. Unless Alex Neil does something madcap and put in Remi Mathews out of pure spite but I can''t see that happening.

Don''t go along with this managers have favorites thing. There are more things to take into account than simple formation and playing ability that the manager sees in training, attitude and taking account of the long term.

There''s plenty been crying out for leadership this season and saying how we miss Bradley. He might not be as good a player as Brady but his sort of drive and guts would be invaluable in the middle of this sticky patch.

In the same way Louis Thompson might not be to Tetty''s standard when both are playing at their best. What would it say though to the rest of the team if a young guy who clearly came in and gave everything to the cause if he''s now dropped for someone who (possibly) didn''t put much of a shift in against Brighton?

Tough old job this football management.

Well Lafferty is a good point

At training is a handful prankster etc

but on matchday scores

or a model professional who trains hard but on matchday does not score

AN will always go for the model pro in my eyes a experienced manager may go for the other player

players who make a difference in games sometimes have that streak in them

Lafferty would not get the same run of games without a goal as Jerome

thats only do with his workrate thats why AN favours him

Jerome will score more goals this season, than Lafferty.FACT.And Lafferty doesn''t work hard enough to play in the lone striker role either.Of course he''ll score the odd goal, but lets not get carried away about it.

[quote user="morty"]Jerome will score more goals this season, than Lafferty.FACT.And Lafferty doesn''t work hard enough to play in the lone striker role either.Of course he''ll score the odd goal, but lets not get carried away about it.[/quote]

Jerome will probably be our top goal scorer this season, but we need others to chip in - like Hooper did last time.  If Lafferty got goals late in matches like Hooper he would prove his worth.  We need perhaps 10 - 15 goals from him or Oliveira.  Lafferty did the job last match - came on and scored - and as such, if he does that when he gets the chance, he could be very important for us still. 

To be fair, with our defence, we could sign Neuer and we''d still concede

McGovern is obviously one of ANs favourites and to be fair, he has earned it from serving him well at Hamilton before. I do think this means that AN will rightly or wrongly show more patience than most managers would with him though. Only time will tell whether showing this extra patience will be correct or not.

Personally I think it''s time for Ruddy to be given a go again as for all his faults, I think he''s a much more imposing and complete keeper that is what our defence is in dire need of at the moment who are struggling with the physicality and long ball stuff the championship is throwing at it.

Does the new version of FIFA have a "chumminess with the manager" rating so we can lay this to rest once and for all?

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Does the new version of FIFA have a "chumminess with the manager" rating so we can lay this to rest once and for all?

Apples[/quote][:D]

Never good to have your options reduced through injury, but hopefully Ruddy will grab his chance if presented with it.

[quote user="Woodman"]anyone know what McGovern''s injury is?[/quote]Apparently completely faked, Alex Neil was just missing his buddy and wanted him home.

it is only a friendly, so I''m guessing he was allowed home early to give him time to recover for Saturday... if needed. Wonder if he''d have stayed for a qualifier.

i hope Jerome scores more goals than Lafferty this season Morty as Jerome will play 30 odd games more !

it will be interesting to see if McGovern is injured and Ruddy steps and plays well if he keeps his place or McGovern returns at the first chance when fit

Has anyone considered producing a weekly favouritism rating for the squad members?

This would certainly help the more conspiracy theory-obsessed amongst the fanbase gauge whose star is ascending and who has shat in Alex''s hat.

Apples

Are people really suggesting that Neil''s alleged friendship with MGovern matters more to him than keeping his job? Seriously?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Are people really suggesting that Neil''s alleged friendship with MGovern matters more to him than keeping his job? Seriously?[/quote]Looks like it.....

Not a friendship as such, more a personal working relationship. Like when Harry Redknapp goes back for the same players he trusts to do a job. It obviously doesn''t 100% influence things but I think it means Alex Neil will give McGovern more time and patience than another manager would. Honestly, I think if we were to appoint a new boss tomorrow, Ruddy would be back between the sticks. It''s like when Bassong magically reappeared when Adams left.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Not a friendship as such, more a personal working relationship. Like when Harry Redknapp goes back for the same players he trusts to do a job. It obviously doesn''t 100% influence things but I think it means Alex Neil will give McGovern more time and patience than another manager would. Honestly, I think if we were to appoint a new boss tomorrow, Ruddy would be back between the sticks. It''s like when Bassong magically reappeared when Adams left.[/quote]Again, complete guesswork.Bassong, like all players, will have been given a clean slate, and a chance to impress.Theres really no "magic" involved.

Not complete guesswork but indeed it''s my humble suspicions and it''s not unprecedented that different managers have different styles depending on what tactics and personnel they are familiar with and for me that''s the main reason McGovern is continually in the side.

Do you really think McGovern is in net on form and ability alone? If not, why do you think he''s continually being given the nod over Ruddy?

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Not complete guesswork but indeed it''s my humble suspicions and it''s not unprecedented that different managers have different styles depending on what tactics and personnel they are familiar with and for me that''s the main reason McGovern is continually in the side.

Do you really think McGovern is in net on form and ability alone? If not, why do you think he''s continually being given the nod over Ruddy?[/quote]Well seeing as neither of us see him every day in training, I will revert to the opinion that Alex Neil knows better here, rather than making up some hokum to support my opinion.Humble suspicions? Complete guesswork? Same thing.

Not complete guesswork but mostly so. I have heard interviews, spoken to managers and players and used the limited knowledge I have to state the completely plausible opinion that seeing as AN is more familiar with working with McGovern (fact as he''s worked with him longer), there is a tendency for that sort of pattern in football to influence things so while it''s guesswork, it''s not without some substance and precedence. I''ve hardly made up the fact that people tend to go with what they know. It''s hardly nonsense after we''ve all witnessed the likes of Toure and Hart be very publicly ousted by Guardiola and similar and it''s my opinion that another manager would likely reinstate Ruddy if he got the job. I''m allowed an opinion without being rudely dismissed right?

I prefer to rudely dismiss you, as you''re talking nonsense.Just my opinion, of course[Y]