Sign in to follow this  
morty

Just for fun....

''Th board persevered far too long (and sacked him at the wrong time) but CH proved time and time again he was not willing to change or try something new. The initial promise from the first season was then never followed up. ''

Tin hat time. But if you replace CH with AN in that statement, its not too far off the situation we find ourselves in now - a manager that was unwilling to change or try something new & failing to live up to initial promise

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]''Th board persevered far too long (and sacked him at the wrong time) but CH proved time and time again he was not willing to change or try something new. The initial promise from the first season was then never followed up. ''

Tin hat time. But if you replace CH with AN in that statement, its not too far off the situation we find ourselves in now - a manager that was unwilling to change or try something new & failing to live up to initial promise[/quote]

Fair point. However AN has proved in the past he has changed the mindset (after the Newcastle game and then again in the new year)

Hughton isn''t a bad manager and never was one. Things ran stale here after he concentrated successfully on building a strong defence and wasted £20m on an uncoordinated, unbalanced and generally not good enough attack.

Come the January of his last season, the board kind of hoped they''d scrape through to the end of the season, stay up and properly address the issue in the summer. What they did wrong in my book was not necessarily sacking Hughton in that January but underestimating the problem we had.

That January, we signed Joseph Yobo and Jonas Gutierrez on cheap loans despite one barely having played in months and the other a bit over the hill (Yobo wasn''t that bad to be fair). We were crying out for a new striker at least in that January, and while it may not have been perfect, had we got someone, we''d have probably scraped survival like we did when Kei Kamara came in and made that smidgen of difference we needed.

They basically needed to back or sack Hughton in that window and they did neither, leaving us to sail down the table with no momentum and with a whimper. It was obvious to everyone that none of Elmander, RVW or Hooper were good enough to score the goals we needed to stay up and we did nothing to address it. Even getting in someone like Cameron Jerome at that time may have converted the odd 0-0 or 0-1 into a 1-0 or a 1-1 and we may have just snuck 17th.

While I mostly blame the board for dawdling in that January, Hughton is hardly blameless, indeed he was given money in summer and wasted it on the aforementioned strikers. I''m sure he has probably learned his lesson and seems to have been able to put together a decent attack with Brighton. I don''t know if he''d be able to ever be good enough to manage a side effectively in the prem until he''s properly given another go again but at Championship level there is no doubting his record. Another slight thing in his favour is that he actually seems a guy with real class and someone the fans can warm to provided results are happening. I didn''t see people moaning about him when we were beating Man U 1-0 away and running Arsenal close etc.

Would I have him back? In our current state probably not as it''s proven time and time again that it''s rarely any better going back to old players/ managers but if we stagnate to championship also rans in a year or 2 as the signs seem to point to at the moment, we could do a lot worse.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Tony Pulis anyone?[/quote]Jeez, have things got that bad?[:(][/quote]

Couldn''t do any worse klaxon...[/quote][:D]

Doesn''t make any difference who the manager is, though times for any manager getting us into the premiership, unless we get another Lambert fit, we will be heading back down as we won''t compete with the rest of the premiership.......can you ever see us buy a Benteki like Palace?

[quote user="Indy"]Doesn''t make any difference who the manager is, though times for any manager getting us into the premiership, unless we get another Lambert fit, we will be heading back down as we won''t compete with the rest of the premiership.......can you ever see us buy a Benteki like Palace?[/quote]Thats the spirit[:D][Y]

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Hughton isn''t a bad manager and never was one. Things ran stale here after he concentrated successfully on building a strong defence and wasted £20m on an uncoordinated, unbalanced and generally not good enough attack. Come the January of his last season, the board kind of hoped they''d scrape through to the end of the season, stay up and properly address the issue in the summer. What they did wrong in my book was not necessarily sacking Hughton in that January but underestimating the problem we had. That January, we signed Joseph Yobo and Jonas Gutierrez on cheap loans despite one barely having played in months and the other a bit over the hill (Yobo wasn''t that bad to be fair). We were crying out for a new striker at least in that January, and while it may not have been perfect, had we got someone, we''d have probably scraped survival like we did when Kei Kamara came in and made that smidgen of difference we needed. They basically needed to back or sack Hughton in that window and they did neither, leaving us to sail down the table with no momentum and with a whimper. It was obvious to everyone that none of Elmander, RVW or Hooper were good enough to score the goals we needed to stay up and we did nothing to address it. Even getting in someone like Cameron Jerome at that time may have converted the odd 0-0 or 0-1 into a 1-0 or a 1-1 and we may have just snuck 17th. While I mostly blame the board for dawdling in that January, Hughton is hardly blameless, indeed he was given money in summer and wasted it on the aforementioned strikers. I''m sure he has probably learned his lesson and seems to have been able to put together a decent attack with Brighton. I don''t know if he''d be able to ever be good enough to manage a side effectively in the prem until he''s properly given another go again but at Championship level there is no doubting his record. Another slight thing in his favour is that he actually seems a guy with real class and someone the fans can warm to provided results are happening. I didn''t see people moaning about him when we were beating Man U 1-0 away and running Arsenal close etc. Would I have him back? In our current state probably not as it''s proven time and time again that it''s rarely any better going back to old players/ managers but if we stagnate to championship also rans in a year or 2 as the signs seem to point to at the moment, we could do a lot worse.[/quote]

I agree with most of this TJ.  The margins were close when we were relegated that season - survival was easier.  I think if they''d sacked Hughton at the start of January (and made a half-way sensible appointment), or backed him to the extent of getting someone like Jerome, it would have been enough for survival, and given they weren''t willing to trust him to spend money on a striker, they needed to draw the logical conclusion and sack him.  In the end, they fell between two stool.

My worry is that we could end up repeating the mistake with AN this season. 

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="TIL 1010"]Makes me wonder back in the day what social media would have made of Lol Morgan.[/quote]LOL.......probably.[/quote]After i posted it Graham i looked and realised what was surely coming. [:D]