Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Laff and Benno tweets.

To be fair centre backs would still be tough if the laws of the game allowed them to be. Terry Butcher playing the way he did would have been on the pitch for all of 5 mins before being sent off as would lots of centre backs of yesterday.

As for AN saying the players not getting abuse, they get plenty we''ve all heard boos at the end of games and there''s plenty of criticism on all forms of social media. But part of AN''s job is to take the flack then quietly move on the players that wont work hard enough or do what they''ve been instructed for him. You dont slag players off in public unless they have done something particularly bad, you certainly gain nothing by basically saying they arnt good enough. I cant see anything but AN being on borrowed time now unless there is an immediate turn around.

I don''t rate Lafferty or Bennett but sometimes AN has to realise being so honest in public isn''t necessarily the best thing to do.

I must admit my immediate reaction when hearing several of the comments were that they were unlikely to help improve relations between the manager and players. I guess we will see on Saturday, a game that was already a tough one anyway given our form and the new manager effect at Derby.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]To be fair centre backs would still be tough if the laws of the game allowed them to be. Terry Butcher playing the way he did would have been on the pitch for all of 5 mins before being sent off as would lots of centre backs of yesterday. As for AN saying the players not getting abuse, they get plenty we''ve all heard boos at the end of games and there''s plenty of criticism on all forms of social media. But part of AN''s job is to take the flack then quietly move on the players that wont work hard enough or do what they''ve been instructed for him. You dont slag players off in public unless they have done something particularly bad, you certainly gain nothing by basically saying they arnt good enough. I cant see anything but AN being on borrowed time now unless there is an immediate turn around.[/quote]

I wouldn''t be surprised if Bennett''s tweet was a bit of a wind up - Home Alone FFS.  But AN needs to get a grip IMO, when we''re doing badly everyone gets flak, players and manager, when it''s good then everyone gets credit (with exceptions for scapegoats etc).  It''s part of the manager''s job to talk to the press.  Being publicly critical of your players is rarely helpful IMO.

Agree that publicly criticising your players might be a bad thing, however, AN always answers questions honestly and openly, hence the answers about Lafferty.   The players know he will be honest too, so really, it is up to them to not give him anything bad to say about them.  I rather suspect that AN is the same with the players as with everyone else - honest and open. He will have told Lafferty what he thinks of him - and he will told the other players clearly what he thinks of them.  Their job is to work hard, give 100% on the pitch at all times.  If any

of them can''t do that, they aren''t fit to be called professional

footballers.  What the manager says about them privately or publically,

should be irrelevant.

It wasn''t just Bennett and Lafferty getting pelted, quotes from Paddy on the night were:

‘Jacob is working harder than his brother when he is in the team at present. Josh has so much quality but he has to develop that side.’

‘When you win, everyone gets praised. When you lose, I get dog’s abuse whilst the players are at home watching telly.’

‘Seb Bassong won 80% of his headers at QPR, he lost the crucial ones.’

‘In my opinion, he has done ok since I came here. I don’t have anything against him. I watch him day in, day out…’ ‘…that is my opinion. He went on loan to Turkey and Birmingham and fell out of both teams. To say he is the answer to promotion? I don’t necessarily agree. That is my opinion and that of my coaches.’

I really can''t see how that''s going to motivate the players to perform for him. Yes, its up to the players to run through brick walls and to do their best to get a win or whatever, but I don''t recall any manager calling out players in this sort of way.

[quote user="Woodman"]It wasn''t just Bennett and Lafferty getting pelted, quotes from Paddy on the night were:

‘Jacob is working harder than his brother when he is in the team at present. Josh has so much quality but he has to develop that side.’

‘When you win, everyone gets praised. When you lose, I get dog’s abuse whilst the players are at home watching telly.’

‘Seb Bassong won 80% of his headers at QPR, he lost the crucial ones.’

‘In my opinion, he has done ok since I came here. I don’t have anything against him. I watch him day in, day out…’ ‘…that is my opinion. He went on loan to Turkey and Birmingham and fell out of both teams. To say he is the answer to promotion? I don’t necessarily agree. That is my opinion and that of my coaches.’

I really can''t see how that''s going to motivate the players to perform for him. Yes, its up to the players to run through brick walls and to do their best to get a win or whatever, but I don''t recall any manager calling out players in this sort of way.[/quote]

They may be the type of players that require total honesty to get them motivated, the sort who ask the coaches ''What do I have to do to be better?'' and expect an honest assesment and pointers on what they need to improve on.Telling a player he needs to work harder is OK.Telling a player that he needs to focus on why he didn''t win crucial headers is OK.

Agreed Woodman.

Some will take it as a kick up the behind and go out and try to prove the manager wrong. Others heads will drop; confidence and performances will be affected.

The managers job is to bond the team together, getting them to pull and fight together. Instilling belief that he is the guy to get behind and run through walls for - because his way is the winning way. When it works everyone is, excited and energised, including the fans. Who can say we are all behind the guy right now?

Risky saying things like that about players

so is he saying players like Canos are not good enough because he does not play him ??

How does Pritchard feel plays one week then out of team

all the squad players must feel great knowing the are not good enough well AN i hope you do''t need any of these players to save your job

AN is like Roeder, he has one management style which gets immediate results but soon wears thin with the players. If you''re Fergue you can get away with it as you''ve earned players respect, if you''re Roeder or Neil, you struggle.

Moving players out - particularly those brought in on attractive wages - is one of the hardest aspects of management.

Once relegated bringing better players in - if possible at all - often requires moving players out first.

To move players out they must have value to others. This value must both be in terms of achieving the required transfer fee and an ability to pay a (very) similar level of wages.

If you attract players to a progressing club and they then underperform squaring that circle is difficult. There may be limited numbers of players that actually fit that criteria.

It could easily be suggested that Lafferty, Bennett might fit that criteria.

So - as the Manager - might ''just being honest'' also suit the agenda of trying to move them out?

Parma

Nb: Leaving a player out repeatedly is also something you could do. You might not want to reward a player who might set a dreadful - yet siren-call attractive - example to the multi-million pound young players you have invested heavily in.

I agree with this Parma Lafferty in particular you would think needs to go this window whether he finds a club or not. We quite obviously have some disruptive elements in our squad and this cant be good for anyone