Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Rudd/De Gea

Rudd has proved himself up to a first team start several times now - and on the back of some excellent experience on loan and more recenty in the cup, must surely be ready to compete with Ruddy for a first team place.  Could he be our De Gea? He is of a very similar build, height and age to De Gea and has looked confident whenever called upon.  Excellent against Everton. Would like to see him given a chance against Swansea, JR  could not complain if he was given that chance - and if successful, could be the start of something special.   

What is LDC talking about

While might might be the right time to play Rudd, we must not play him because he is the same age & height as De Gea

LDC what a load of rubbish

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]What is LDC talking about

While might might be the right time to play Rudd, we must not play him because he is the same age & height as De Gea

LDC what a load of rubbish[/quote]Think about it though, they both have green tops on too.

DR can only be in the starting XI when he successfully nicks a donut from a Tesco of his choosing. Until then, he''ll aways be the No. 2 keeper.

If you photoshop De Gea''s head on Rudd''s body and Rudd''s head on De Gea''s body you will have wasted 5 minutes of your life.

I''d also like to pint out that neither are wearing a poppy.

They both have the same hair colour hair and style it in a similar manner also. But De Gea wears Nike Gunn Cut gk gloves where as Dec uses Puma EvoPower Cat, so that could be a deal breaker. That said though, JR wears Sells Wrap Aqua, so maybe if he just tried the same gloves a s De Gea, plus started wearing a green top instead of that grey and pink thing his form would improve and the calls for him to be dropped would cease?

Kyle Lafferty has a similar build and is around the same age as Ruud van Nistelrooy in his prime years. Dark hair as well. Could he be the prolific goal scorer we''ve been missing? Step forward a new Norwich hero.

Setting the direct comparison aside as De Gea was terrible when he first started in the Prem and never looked like making it, there is a point here. In my view the day of the big bulky (or muscular or fat) keeper is over in the PL and the international game. Keepers no longer need to challenge a big number nine and "command" the six yard box knocking all asunder  anymore, they are far too well protected by the ref. What they do need to be is a two footed player than can trap and pass a ball, be comfortable on the ball, read the game like a sweeper and know when to come or stay, punch as well as catch (and knowing which one to do) the high ball and to adjust to the dip and swerve of the modern ball. They also need to get down quickly close to their feet as the modern striker places the ball rather than just blasts it. Its not enough to be a towering brick wall its all about decision making and agility.IMO a keeper of Rudd`s style and mould  is the way forward in the upper reaches of the game and Ruddy`s style is now better suited to lower leagues.Personally I think its time to change keepers.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Setting the direct comparison aside as De Gea was terrible when he first started in the Prem and never looked like making it, there is a point here. In my view the day of the big bulky (or muscular or fat) keeper is over in the PL and the international game. Keepers no longer need to challenge a big number nine and "command" the six yard box knocking all asunder  anymore, they are far too well protected by the ref. What they do need to be is a two footed player than can trap and pass a ball, be comfortable on the ball, read the game like a sweeper and know when to come or stay, punch as well as catch (and knowing which one to do) the high ball and to adjust to the dip and swerve of the modern ball. They also need to get down quickly close to their feet as the modern striker places the ball rather than just blasts it. Its not enough to be a towering brick wall its all about decision making and agility.IMO a keeper of Rudd`s style and mould  is the way forward in the upper reaches of the game and Ruddy`s style is now better suited to lower leagues.Personally I think its time to change keepers.[/quote]

Would agree with all that.   My reasoning in comparing the two was that De Gea is of a different mould and more youthful than a lot of goalkeepers in the premier league.  My thoughts were that Rudd can emulate that - if De Gea is good enough at 24 then so is Rudd.  I''m looking forward to seeing him in the first team and challenging for the regular goalkeeping spot.  

LDC - ''if De Gea is good enough at 24 then so is Rudd.''

Eh? Are you like broken or something?!

That''s like saying ''if Nathan Redmond can be a professional footballer at 21, then so can I because I''m also 21''

Or

''If Alan sugar is a billionaire at 68, then so is ny grandfather''

My cat has the same number of limbs as both De Gea and Rudd but she can jump 10 times her own height.

Surely this puts her in contention ahead of both Rudd and Ruddy for Swansea?

After all, being a cat didn''t do any harm for the careers of Kevin Keelan and Peter Bonetti.

I hope AN reads this forum and gives her a chance.

[quote user="YorkshirePudding BSc"]

Eh? Are you like broken or something? [/quote]

Couldn''t put my finger on the correct description for LDC before but I think Yp may''ve found it.

[quote user="lake district canary"] Rudd is ready and he is good enough.[/quote]How many Premier League games have you seen him play to make that assessment Lakey?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"] Rudd is ready and he is good enough.[/quote]How many Premier League games have you seen him play to make that assessment Lakey?[/quote]Any assessment is based on his appearances before his successful loan spell, the evidence of the reports from Preston and his excellent performances this season in the cup.   If he is ever going to be ready, he is now. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]If he is ever going to be ready, he is now.[/quote]Despite all the silly b*ggers on this thread, this is the crux of the issue. Our first-choice goalkeeper is terribly out of form, Rudd has admittedly had limited opportunities but has acquitted himself well. We''re not jettisoning Ruddy, but he needs a break from the limelight. When Citeh dropped Hart for Pantilimon, it worked a treat – he came back a lot stronger after his break from the team (if we ignore last Saturday''s rather colossal blooper!).

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="lake district canary"]If he is ever going to be ready, he is now.[/quote]Despite all the silly b*ggers on this thread, this is the crux of the issue. Our first-choice goalkeeper is terribly out of form, Rudd has admittedly had limited opportunities but has acquitted himself well. We''re not jettisoning Ruddy, but he needs a break from the limelight. When Citeh dropped Hart for Pantilimon, it worked a treat – he came back a lot stronger after his break from the team (if we ignore last Saturday''s rather colossal blooper!).[/quote]

Yep, most of the replies a load of toss.  Agree with you about Rudd and Ruddy though.  Rudd is in the squad for a reason, he looks the part and as I tried to point out in the op, could be part of the young generation of  goalkeepers similar to De Gea, young, athletic and confident and most importantly, able to step up.  We are lucky to have two quality goalkeepers, it will be good to see them sharing the load, because the pressure is intense in the prem and they can support each other.  Form is temporary, but class is permanent and both our main goalkeepers can help each other - and the team. With the pressure taken off Rudddy for a while, it would give Rudd a good go at the top level.  He needs that top level experience and the only way he will get it is by playing him there.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t put it very well, but I am simply saying if you are good enough you are old enough.  Rudd is ready and he is good enough.[/quote]That''s how I read the comment. It''s amazing how people are enthusiastic about our youth set up, but when it comes to playing one of them in the first team they''re convinced it would cause the sky to fall down over Carrow Road. This is despite our history of doing well when we invest in youth, and doing poorly when we don''t.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="lake district canary"]If he is ever going to be ready, he is now.[/quote]Despite all the silly b*ggers on this thread, this is the crux of the issue. Our first-choice goalkeeper is terribly out of form, Rudd has admittedly had limited opportunities but has acquitted himself well. We''re not jettisoning Ruddy, but he needs a break from the limelight. When Citeh dropped Hart for Pantilimon, it worked a treat – he came back a lot stronger after his break from the team (if we ignore last Saturday''s rather colossal blooper!).[/quote]The premise that it may be the time for Rudd is perfectly understandable.Comparing him to De Gea, however, is just plain nonsense.Hence people, quite rightly, taking the mick.

So suggesting Rudd could reach the top is nonsense is it?  I see.As has been said, De Gea is one of a breed of goalkeeper who looks more like a basketball player and has reached the top at a young age - and I merely suggested that Rudd could do the same, being of the same age, height and build - and ability.  Unless you are saying he doesn''t have ability or the potential to reach the top........ 

This thread is a bit depressing. I might not always like or agree with LDCs post -although I just ignore them rather than commenting or starting an argument like others seem to enjoy doing!

But people are just being unfair here, the points he'' trying to make in the original post are fair I.e

Rudd probably deserves a chance given Ruddys form and the errors made. There are also comparisons to be made with De Gea in terms of his age and build.