Sign in to follow this  
pete

Alex Neil inexperience a factor?

The summer transfer window was a disappointing episode I think we can all agree.

But why is there no money a possibility given the ineptitude of this Board. But maybe it was because of Alex Neil''s inexperience of handling a transfer window, cannot believe he had much to do in recruiting for Hamilton last summer or us in January Andreu apart.

Neil must have been consulted about moves in and out. Mbokani selected apparently on Mulumbu recommendation. Seems AN not given much assistance in recruitment especially regarding the Centre Back position which may prove to be vital.

However didn''t take long for AN to recognise Jonno was not a Premier League player, Palace game showed that £6m was good business pity we couldn''t spend the windfall.

Would have liked to have seen Gayle recruited but Palace were never going to sell any of their remaining four top strikers after selling Murray. Perhaps Fraizer Campbell could have been poached instead rather him than Grabban.

Hope January better if we are still in with chance of staying up, AN needed an experienced head to guide him through the minefield. Note to McNally.

I think this window was a nightmare for a lot of clubs (& players). Many of the proposed moves looked like house sale chains of incredible complexity.

[quote user="pete"]The summer transfer window was a disappointing episode I think we can all agree.

But why is there no money a possibility given the ineptitude of this Board. But maybe it was because of Alex Neil''s inexperience of handling a transfer window, cannot believe he had much to do in recruiting for Hamilton last summer or us in January Andreu apart.

Neil must have been consulted about moves in and out. Mbokani selected apparently on Mulumbu recommendation. Seems AN not given much assistance in recruitment especially regarding the Centre Back position which may prove to be vital.

However didn''t take long for AN to recognise Jonno was not a Premier League player, Palace game showed that £6m was good business pity we couldn''t spend the windfall.

Would have liked to have seen Gayle recruited but Palace were never going to sell any of their remaining four top strikers after selling Murray. Perhaps Fraizer Campbell could have been poached instead rather him than Grabban.

Hope January better if we are still in with chance of staying up, AN needed an experienced head to guide him through the minefield. Note to McNally.[/quote]
I''m curious about where you have got this idea from. Have I missed something?

"However didn''t take long for AN to recognise Jonno was not a Premier League player, Palace game showed that £6m was good business pity we couldn''t spend the windfall. "

On that basis I assume you think the Southampton game showed that most of the team were not PL players.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I think this window was a nightmare for a lot of clubs (& players). Many of the proposed moves looked like house sale chains of incredible complexity.[/quote]^^^ Pretty much this.Too many people are showing how naive they are in thinking its as simple as going and buying a player. And if he won''t come, or the club won''t sell its simply a case of offering more money. Look at how protracted a lot of transfers were between much bigger clubs with far more money.And the last thing you want to do is sell a player before a replacement is sorted, and leave yourself short.It really isn''t as simplistic as people think, and o be honest, its just another way of having a cheap shot at the club / board / owners by some people.

Please don''t say the lack of signings was because of money. Our bids for Gayle and Naismith amounted to over £13million, which we now still have.

Are people seriously suggesting that our manager should be restricted to signing only those players who are available early in the window?

Personally don''t think this was much of a factor at all. AN would have told the board where he felt the team needed strenghtening and would have had a pretty good idea of which players he ideally / realistically would like - the rest is then down to the Head of recruitment and McNally to identify the players and agree the transfer fees and wages. Yes certain more experienced managers have more ''pull'' and knowledge of certain players - but ultimately money and other things happening at other clubs would have been by far the most telling factors.

It could have been, but not necessarily in the way the OP suggests it. Apart from other factors at club level, some players may have been unconvinced about AN''s experience. In other words, he may have done enough since January to achieve cult status among us City fans, but was that enough to convince, let''s say, a player like Destra? In that respect it''s easy to see how someone like Phelan would have been useful to have around during the window, (despite all my respect for Neil). But as I have faith in Neil I''m sure he''ll convince all doubters rather sooner than later.

A more experienced manager may have the benefit of more contacts within the game be able to call on players they have managed previously, but there''s no reason why our transfer dealings should have suffered because AN may not have that experience. Certainly the club had plenty of time before the window to bring in someone with more experience as a consultant if they felt they needed that and presumably the head of recruitment should bear the major responsibility for identifying potential targets rather than the manager.

To be fair we wouldnt have signed gayle and naismith. Would have been one or the other. Dont be under the impression we were planning to spend £13m on the last day.

We were only getting gayle or naismith if we sold Grabban for £7m anyway.

He is on a steep learning curve and the Board have shown on numerous occasions in recent years that they are all pretty clueless. It all looked a tad scatter gun and disjointed with silly bids seemingly thrown around. That said Brady and Mumbaki have the potential to b good signings. The sale of Johnson is a scandal given that we have every chance of being in the championship next season and there is no better player at that level

Re. Mulumbu and Mbokani, surely people are capable of seeing the difference between:

1. Mulumbu being a City player was a factor in Mbokani signing for us (True)

and

2. Mbokani was only a City target because Mulumbu suggested him to AN (False)

If they can''t see the difference, what is the point of posting on here?