Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Sunderland vs Norwich City - Match Thread

I''m liking Dorrans game today too - I didn''t realise he was that quick with the ball!

Everyone has been superb. Yes Sunderland appear to be a very poor side, but if we play like this on a regular basis we should have no problems staying up. We could beat any side if we play like we have today.

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]Redmond has looked like Wes at times today with his close control and intelligent passing. What the hell has Neil done to him in the last 6 months to finally turn him into the player he should be?

He''s been outstanding today[/quote]
I think he merely developed Redmond to play in a way that is more suitable to playing well in football at the moment. Redmond has shown himself to be remarkably versatile in his short career. Starting out as an inverted winger who looked to cut inside and shoot, he has developed into both a very good traditional winger who looks to beat a man on the outside and cross and an even better ''wide playmaker'' who starts wide but drifts centrally to create chances.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Hate be a Neg but Grabban looks out of his depth.[/quote]
Norwich are being nowhere near as attacking as they were when Jerome was playing. Their sitting deeper and not getting the kind of support around Grabban that Jerome had. He''s more likely to lose the ball if he has to hold onto it for longer periods whilst players move to support him. I think he would look much better if Norwich were playing the way they had at the start, although it''s entirely understandable why they are not.

Boo, all the hard work undone by a sloppy set piece.

Agree with the comments on Grabban, just doesn''t have the presence that Jerome does. We need to sign someone we can bring on to carry on dominating the defence, Mbokani step up!

3 points on the board and away from home. Great performance, shame about conceding but shows there''s still things to work on. Great weekend!

Great result & good performance. To sloppy & complacent for the last 20 minutes though. We should have kept at ''em.Grabban looked clumsy & slow to me.

AJ wrote the following post at 15/08/2015 4:48 PM:

Agree with the comments on Grabban, just doesn''t have the presence that Jerome does. We need to sign someone we can bring on to carry on dominating the defence, Mbokani step up!

Agreed, ideal chance for him to show what he can do today but it wasn''t there.

Further confirmation of the need for quality replacements

Get in! Great result! Redmond is on fire!

We can finally forget about that helmet Simon Hooper. Lots to look forward to. How long until redmond gets a look in the England squad?

Whittaker''s goal brought back memories of Redderz in the playoff final.

We were playing differently at the time, but Grabban looked nowhere near Jerome.

Last 20 mins, we weren''t going to go hell for leather when the game was won. Even with the subs, the change in formation/tactics we still had chances in the last 20 and continued to open Sunderland up. The only complacency I saw was once from Whittaker where he lost the ball.

Their goal was sloppy to give away, but the game''s over at that point. Disappointing, definitely, and no doubt AN will be furious, but it will keep the focus on defence, not that I think AN needs it. An injury to either of the CD''s (Bassong/Martin) and we do look rather light there.

The only reason we didn''t score more today, was because we chose not to. No point in risking injuries, especially risking injuries to your key players.

Great result, brilliant team performance.

Thought Wes was outstanding today, two great assists with exquisite little touches.

Have a look at this report on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33832128

Especially the heatmap of the Sunderland strikers

I am not sure if it shows them attacking the left goal, or the right one, as they were that ineffective!

In all my years of watching City I cannot recall us dominating a team so comprehensively. At times in the second half we were playing tika-taka in little triangles with Sunderland players not getting a look in. The boys closed then down right from the start and amongst all the good performances Hoolahan, Brady and Redmond stood out. The only rider is that Sunderland were truly awful and if they continue like this they will be down well before the end of the season.