Sign in to follow this  
morty

Champs / Prem

Was discussing this very subject with my previously mentioned(other threads) Binner workmate, he wants promotion to clear club debt, and therefore stabilise them, much like us a few seasons ago. We''ve had a taste at the sharp end recently and getting a new one torn by Liverpool twice a season is not fun, but beating Arsenal, Man ure, Spuds etc IS great fun, i love rubbing it in with the big time charlie supporters over here on the odd occasion that we do.

Plus, and this is a very big plus for exiles ....we get to watch live every week.....cue plastic abuse from the Hopeful Wave.

Personally i enjoy the win ratio of the Champs, but must say that for the Club and for those precious golden moments , the Prem is the place to be.

We are close to promotion, we are in a better place financially than last time, we have, it seems, a confident attack minded manager who is impressing most , if not all concerned. We''re better ''armed'' than ever before, greater squad depth, i''m assuming we''ll strengthen if we go up.

Fear not the losing but relish the competition and those special days.

Definitely enjoying season now AN is in charge. If we do go up will be interesting to see how he sets us up against the big teams. But I''ll worry about that come May...

I can only make it to about half the home games and very few away games so purely for selfish reasons the PL every time just for a stream every week!

I don''t care about the opposition, I get much more excited by a relegation 6 pointer than I do the prospect of a horrendously expensive Man City turning up to CR and us maybe having a 1% chance of winning. I don''t think it''s that fun in that league but if we want to fin a cup (which I am so desperate to see), being in that league with good players gives us the best chance of achieving that.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Was discussing this very subject with my previously mentioned(other threads) Binner workmate, he wants promotion to clear club debt, and therefore stabilise them, much like us a few seasons ago. [/quote]

Based on the accounts of Cardiff & QPR I''m not sure that this scenario is valid, two clubs with large debt (ours wasn''t) who got promoted but didn''t see an improvement in thier financial position. Cardiff still owe a heap of money to Mr Tann and QPR have had an enormous amount of debt/loans written off to save them from a fine under FFP rules. If 1p5wich ever get promoted they  cannot rely on that clearing thier debt.

Prem every time;

Champs has too many poor teams and while its enjoyable to win there is not the same satisfaction as a mid table season in the prem with the wins against manu etc to keep us going.

Relegation seasons are not fun; but that applies from the champs too.

Facile wins against millwalls and blackpools only satisfy in short term; god knows how Celtic fans enjoy their seasons when their squad will win each season.

Give me the best players we can see every time; even if it means a relegation season

The comments here make our fan base sound like a bunch of sissified weaklings. So heres what most of you seem to want but are too scared to say or too stupid to come up with. We finish in the playoffs, win the playoffs, and then get to choose who gets sent to the Prem along with the top 2.

That way, we can dominate in a smaller pond without having to risk exposure to the sunlight that is worldwide recognition and glory that we''ve done well in plenty of times before.

God damn, this thread makes me sick. Where are the real Norwich fans? OTBC is On the ball, City. You act like it''s a call to retreat. Shirtless drips.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]The comments here make our fan base sound like a bunch of sissified weaklings. So heres what most of you seem to want but are too scared to say or too stupid to come up with. We finish in the playoffs, win the playoffs, and then get to choose who gets sent to the Prem along with the top 2.

That way, we can dominate in a smaller pond without having to risk exposure to the sunlight that is worldwide recognition and glory that we''ve done well in plenty of times before.

God damn, this thread makes me sick. Where are the real Norwich fans? OTBC is On the ball, City. You act like it''s a call to retreat. Shirtless drips.[/quote]

You take yourself way too seriously, after the last experience anyone who wants the playoffs is barking mad.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Premiership for the club, Championship for the fans.[/quote]Disagree. The crucial thing is whether a club is well-run and well-equipped off-the-field for either league . A well-run, well-prepared club is able not just to survive but prosper in the PL, like Stoke, Swansea, Saints have done. For badly run clubs with off-the-field shortcomings the PL can prove a disaster, as it has done for Leeds, Portsmouth, Carlisle and others. By the same token, the Championship is only great for the fans of well-run, well-equipped clubs -- ask the Leeds fans, the Blackpool fans, and so on.In our case, when we got promoted under Lambert we were well-run, but ill-equipped for the PL. By the time we were relegated last year we had become not just well run but, largely thanks to Chris Hughton, far better eqipped as well. And for that reason we arrived in the Championship in a position to be competitive, which is why it''s been fun. If we are promoted straight back I would expect it to be good for the club and better than last time for the fans. Equally, if we stay in the Championship there is no reason to expect anything other than a season as good as or better than this. In particular there is absolutely no reason to predict a downward spiral to the lower leagues and a huge exodus of our best players.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Premiership for the club, Championship for the fans.[/quote]Disagree. The crucial thing is whether a club is well-run and well-equipped off-the-field for either league . A well-run, well-prepared club is able not just to survive but prosper in the PL, like Stoke, Swansea, Saints have done. For badly run clubs with off-the-field shortcomings the PL can prove a disaster, as it has done for Leeds, Portsmouth, Carlisle and others. By the same token, the Championship is only great for the fans of well-run, well-equipped clubs -- ask the Leeds fans, the Blackpool fans, and so on.In our case, when we got promoted under Lambert we were well-run, but ill-equipped for the PL. By the time we were relegated last year we had become not just well run but, largely thanks to Chris Hughton, far better eqipped as well. And for that reason we arrived in the Championship in a position to be competitive, which is why it''s been fun. If we are promoted straight back I would expect it to be good for the club and better than last time for the fans. Equally, if we stay in the Championship there is no reason to expect anything other than a season as good as or better than this. In particular there is absolutely no reason to predict a downward spiral to the lower leagues and a huge exodus of our best players. [/quote]

When were Carlisle in the PL?

It has to be Prem.
People are only championing the Championship at the moment because of the squad we''ve got. But if we don''t get promoted, most of the talented players will leave. Poorer standard players come in, the football gets worse. We soon end up being mid table mediocrity in the Championship. Suddenly everyone is dreaming of the opportunity to be back in the Premier League again.

wcorkcanary wrote:

Was discussing this very subject with my previously mentioned(other threads) Binner workmate, he wants promotion to clear club debt, and therefore stabilise them, much like us a few seasons ago.

''Based on the accounts of Cardiff & QPR I''m not sure that this scenario is valid, two clubs with large debt (ours wasn''t) who got promoted but didn''t see an improvement in thier financial position. Cardiff still owe a heap of money to Mr Tann and QPR have had an enormous amount of debt/loans written off to save them from a fine under FFP rules. If 1p5wich ever get promoted they cannot rely on that clearing thier debt.''[....l.o.s

I didnt say he was right, mind you i doubt Ipswich would splurge money the way QPR and to a lesser extent Cardiff did. What i meant was that promotion for him was a financial target, but for us should be a footballing target. Surely we want to be the best we can.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Squit, you missed my point. RAtionalizing the Champs as preferable is a sadsack loser mentality, and this thread is rife with it.[/quote]

No I didn''t. You need to get your head out of your a$rse.

There''s no right or wrong here. But to look at it a different way since the PL got to where it is at around the turn of the century have the four seasons we''ve spent there been the four most enjoyable of the last 15? Suddenly it''s not so clear cut. But I guess it depends on what our support is. For instance "away days" are often better outside the Prem. I love aiming to win every league we play in but my enjoyment isn''t totally governed by who we play.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Premiership for the club, Championship for the fans.[/quote]Disagree. The crucial thing is whether a club is well-run and well-equipped off-the-field for either league . A well-run, well-prepared club is able not just to survive but prosper in the PL, like Stoke, Swansea, Saints have done. For badly run clubs with off-the-field shortcomings the PL can prove a disaster, as it has done for Leeds, Portsmouth, Carlisle and others. By the same token, the Championship is only great for the fans of well-run, well-equipped clubs -- ask the Leeds fans, the Blackpool fans, and so on.In our case, when we got promoted under Lambert we were well-run, but ill-equipped for the PL. By the time we were relegated last year we had become not just well run but, largely thanks to Chris Hughton, far better eqipped as well. And for that reason we arrived in the Championship in a position to be competitive, which is why it''s been fun. If we are promoted straight back I would expect it to be good for the club and better than last time for the fans. Equally, if we stay in the Championship there is no reason to expect anything other than a season as good as or better than this. In particular there is absolutely no reason to predict a downward spiral to the lower leagues and a huge exodus of our best players. [/quote]They weren''t. But they were, against all odds, promoted to the old First Division, from which brief moment of glory they have never recovered. When were Carlisle in the PL?

[/quote]

This is the least enjoyable season since we went down to league 1 imo. It''s only since AN has come in that we are now fulfilling our potential as a team.

No I didn''t. You need to get your head out of your a$rse. - Shquit

If you didn''t miss the point, why did you quote me and then comment on something very different? Could it be that your head is up your own ahse?

[quote user="morty"]Who is enjoying this more than being in the Premiership?[/quote]

This very same question was asked by ''Bor Bor Bor''only last week, morty: [url]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/3225225/ShowPost.aspx#3225225[/url]

As well as obviously wanting to play and compete in the best and most watched league in the world I am from Cornwall and can only make it to a few games a season and so being able to watch games live on sky every other week and getting extended highlights every week on MOTD is a big big bonus compared to the championship. I imagine many other fans that don''t live in Norfolk feel the same way.

We as a club are like a pair of whores knickers. we will forever go up and down between the leagues. I like it, some seasons we are tested just to win a game others we go in expecting to win. Best of both worlds