Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Vital we get a result on Saturday

Our great start to the season seems to have come to a bit of a halt. If we fail to win on Saturday, we''ll be looking really flat. We''ve had a league 2 team in the cup, two average championship sides at home and the worst championship side away and have only come away with one win and a draw (earnt very late into each game).

All that free scoring stuff that we''d had of late is in danger of coming to a halt if we fail to put a few past Rotherham at home on Saturday. People will spend the next couple of weeks asking themselves if Adams bubble has burst. We''re only 3 points off 8th as well.

Time we got ourselves a convincing win under our belts if we''re going to prove we''re too good to be in this league.

Sorry for the pessimistic post while we''re sat top of the table but we need to watch out as very quickly, we could be ground into a big, unpredictable race involving at least half the championship teams for promotion. We need to prove we''re a cut above the rest and that starts against Rotherham where there will be no excuses if we don''t win as far as i''m concerned.

It''s October and we face our first must win game of the season, only 35 to go after this one!

[quote user="Yellows"]Bit of a halt? What, one loss?[/quote]Well no, going by what''s written in the post, two.

I suspect the OP like so many posters on here would fail the marshmallow test as a child.

[quote user="T"]I suspect the OP like so many posters on here would fail the marshmallow test as a child.[/quote]The problem is ''T''.....if all those thick Norfolk types who have never played football, never taken a coaching course, knew nothing about business and weren''t qualified accountants, stopped posting.....there would only you left to post on here.....So the only threads left to read would be about........."thick Norfolk types who have never played football, never taken a

coaching course, knew nothing about business and weren''t qualified

accountants" [:S]

Crikey - I don''t think we are at the stage of ''must win'' games, yet. While we are winning away, there is less pressure on us (switch our home and away form round and we''d be happy enough) but obviously in an ideal world we would be looking for a healthy win tomorrow.

It isn''t uncommon to have problems breaking visiting sides down, at this level all sides are good enough to play to a plan, but we do need to show that we are capable of doing it (though to be fair, we did more than enough to have won on Tuesday).

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We need to prove we''re a cut above the rest and that starts against Rotherham where there will be no excuses if we don''t win as far as i''m concerned.[/quote]

We have no right to think we are a cut above the rest.  It is going to

be a long hard season of battles to stay at or near the top.  We have a

good squad, but that gives us nothing on its own and we are going to

have to fight for everything we want.  Yes, we may win the league, but

it won''t be easy.  Losing/drawing to Rotherham would be a setback, but

sometimes setbacks are what is needed to make you take stock, get a

sense of reality and then you can be better for it.   Imo Charlton was

that taste of reality and we will go from strength to strength, but if

we lose to Rotherham, it will wake a few people up and make them realise

that the quest for promotion is going to be harder to achieve than they

imagined.  

Lappinup - I fully agree with you - it''s not my point at all - just some self awareness of how much as posters we really know and that abuse of the club is unwarranted. Specifically here some awareness that there is 46 games in the season as opposed to the dramatic mood swings we so often see here.

We lost a game that we dominated - it happens. No need to push the panic button. We certainly need a good performance and result tomorrow to get back on track and I think that''s what will happen.

Or it could be argued a bit of false position!

Lost last two games mid week games, not won at home in three games against teams we would have expected to beat and been chasing most games this season.

Or if your glass is half full, only lost 1 league game in 10 and we sit top of the leagueand really unlucky not to have won mid week.

Which way do you see things? Pant wetting as some say or rose tinted as others would say.....me I sit on the fence again.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="T"]I suspect the OP like so many posters on here would fail the marshmallow test as a child.[/quote]The problem is ''T''.....if all those thick Norfolk types who have never played football, never taken a coaching course, knew nothing about business and weren''t qualified accountants, stopped posting.....there would only you left to post on here.....So the only threads left to read would be about........."thick Norfolk types who have never played football, never taken a

coaching course, knew nothing about business and weren''t qualified

accountants" [:S][/quote]That''s not strictly true. Whilst having hardly played football for the last decade, never taking a coaching course and being a "thick Norfolk type", I am, due more to hard work and luck than any actual intelligence, a qualified accountant. So "T" could spend his days criticising my crackpot theories and abysmal attempts at humour...such as the prior ramblings.

To clarify, I play football at an alright Saturday league standard. Nowhere near pro but not the worst leagues you''ll see!

Anyway, I take you back to i think second season in the premiership to a game on 26th November 2011 versus QPR: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15802573. We had been on a bad run of form and had some daunting fixtures coming up. We needed the win to keep momentum and we got it. If we''d lost, it was a run of 5 games without a win and tough games coming up.

If we fail to beat Rotherham later today, we''ll be staring at a real bad looking run of form for a team with designs to finish top of the league. Frankly once the game is finished the only thing that matters is the result. Against Charlton we didn''t do enough as we lacked a cutting edge and a ruthless streak that we had been showing a lot of this season. If we had that, we wouldn''t even be discussing the penalty shouts, the disallowed goal or the soft goal they scored.

As for the guy saying we ''have no right'' to assume we''re a cut above the rest. I agree, but our target as admitted by Adams has to be to become run away winners of this league as it''s our best chance and we have by far the most reputable and in depth squad in the division.

We have to guard against the attitude of expecting to turn up and win and perhaps we were guilty of that against Charlton. The biggest challenge this year for our players will be with themselves as the majority have proven before that they have what it takes to succeed in this division and indeed at higher levels.

If we win tomorrow, we remain top and the possibility of the potentially psychologically damaging run of games without a win at home comes to a halt before it''s properly begun.

Today feels like a game that could make or break us. We can more or less guarantee we''ll be at least thereabouts this season but for me that''s not enough, we need to be ''there'' winning this league as if the players can stay focused, they will win the division on talent alone.

I can tell you that today does not make or break us. Strangely enough nor will the game after...unless they injure all our players