Sign in to follow this  
#

Please boycott watching the World Cup.

It''s the World Cup, it has to be played somewhere.

People are not going to watch it because it''s a country which has more homeless than others? That is not going to change a thing, the money has already gone in. It could have gone to many poor countries and the same mentality would apply. It does bring to attention issues with each country but little we can do how money into that country is spent/distributed.

Get over it and watch a football festival or you may as well stick a knife in the ball and declare the game dead!!!

With their respective human rights "records" we should probably not be watching in Russia in four years time and certainly not Qatar in 2022.

China will get it one day. So there''s another out of the window.

Are there any "nice" countries out there who can get it in 2026 and leave us all free to watch it with a clear conscience? New Zealand? Republic of Ireland? Canada?

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@][/quote]Agree with this 100%A complete stitch up - never a penalty & there was nothing wrong with the disallowed goal.Wonder what underhand plans Blatter has for England - it''s a sure thing that there''s absolutely no chance of us being allowed to win it[/quote]I switched off before the penalty incident and the disallowed goal, but  Brazil should have been down to 10 men before they equalised. Perhaps the referee didn''t have such a good view, but Neymar (my first sight of him - is he always this stupidly dirty?) clearly looked to see where the Croat player was and then elbowed him.

Spot on Purple, the replay told the story-as telling as Drogba''s little look from the corner of his eye to see if he''d "won" the free kick in that Chelsea game a few years ago.

Neymar looks to see where his opponent is before using his arm and very clearly uses it as leverage and to impede his opponent. Completely planned and a red card offence-he has a touch of the Maradona about in but in the way he thinks he''s untouchable rather than the way he plays the game.

England will probably concede a penalty in the centre circle.

Neymars was a yellow, it wasn''t an elbow, it was a clumsy back of the arm. The penalty was soft, but Lovren does have his hands all over Fred and I can see why it''s given.

The decision I was most surprised about was the disallowed goal that would have made it 2-2 but I dunno if the players had heard the whistle and stopped. Olic clearly and fairly won the header after Cesar had flapped at a cross. They usually go with the keeper on them though.

All in all though, Croatia were decent but Brazil did enough to deserve the win.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Neymars was a yellow, it wasn''t an elbow, it was a clumsy back of the arm. The penalty was soft, but Lovren does have his hands all over Fred and I can see why it''s given.

The decision I was most surprised about was the disallowed goal that would have made it 2-2 but I dunno if the players had heard the whistle and stopped. Olic clearly and fairly won the header after Cesar had flapped at a cross. They usually go with the keeper on them though.

All in all though, Croatia were decent but Brazil did enough to deserve the win.[/quote]Not so. I have just watched it again. Neymar takes a very deliberate look to see where the Croat player is and elbows him. There is nothing clumsily unintentional about it.

[quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@]
[/quote]

The cynical part of me agrees with you Sparty, okay, I didn''t watch the game but imagine a Brazil dumped out of this Cup early....the protests would rise to a very high level and all set out before the World''s media.

Definitely not what FIFA wanted.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@]
[/quote]

The cynical part of me agrees with you Sparty, okay, I didn''t watch the game but imagine a Brazil dumped out of this Cup early....the protests would rise to a very high level and all set out before the World''s media.

Definitely not what FIFA wanted.

[/quote]

Maybe I''m getting cynical, but hard to disagree with any of that.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@]
[/quote]
Agree with this 100%
A complete stitch up - never a penalty & there was nothing wrong with the disallowed goal.
Wonder what underhand plans Blatter has for England - it''s a sure thing that there''s absolutely no chance of us being allowed to win it

[/quote]

If you are going to call conspiracy every time there is a poor referring decision you will have a lot of conspiracies before the end of the World Cup.

It wasn''t a penalty but it is hardly the first time a ref has been conned by a diving striker and a loud home crowd. Unfortunate but these things happen in football.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@]
[/quote]
Agree with this 100%
A complete stitch up - never a penalty & there was nothing wrong with the disallowed goal.
Wonder what underhand plans Blatter has for England - it''s a sure thing that there''s absolutely no chance of us being allowed to win it

[/quote]

If you are going to call conspiracy every time there is a poor referring decision you will have a lot of conspiracies before the end of the World Cup.

It wasn''t a penalty but it is hardly the first time a ref has been conned by a diving striker and a loud home crowd. Unfortunate but these things happen in football.

[/quote]

But I''ll predict now Bethnal it''ll will happen more in Brazil games, that''s not me being clever, its me being aware of what''s happening.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
Agree with this 100%

[/quote]

[/quote]

But I''ll predict now Bethnal it''ll will happen more in Brazil games, that''s not me being clever, its me being aware of what''s happening.

[/quote]

It''s always happened, home teams always get a bit of an advantage from the ref, and host nations in tournaments have benefited most.

Here is some good research on that very thing;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/apr/28/referees-home-team-sean-ingle

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@][/quote]Agree with this 100%A complete stitch up - never a penalty & there was nothing wrong with the disallowed goal.Wonder what underhand plans Blatter has for England - it''s a sure thing that there''s absolutely no chance of us being allowed to win it[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]The Man U scenario on a bigger scale - the "big" teams, especially when playing at home, get all the dodgy decisions in their favour & the other teams are just there to make up the numbers. Sadly, the World Cup is already tarnished after just one match.

For goodness sake wind your necks in.

The penalty was a penalty  from the ref''s point of view - obviously, that''s why he gave it.  All he saw was a hand coming over the shoulder of the attacker and the hand going on the shoulder.  The attacker was clever or deceitful (cheating) because he knew where the ref was to take full advantage.  From the side or behind it was obviously contrived, but from in front - the ref''s view - it looked convincing. In other words, exceptionally good cheating by the player.  Great advert for football - not.     

The disallowed goal was correctly disallowed because the attacker contacted the goalkeeper before he touched the ball.  If he hadn''t the goalkeeper would have got the ball.  So technically a foul.

Yet more ''anti'' demonstrations today/night in Rio, good on them I say.

And that''s despite winning!

There was also a suspect offside call when Oscar would have been away. Face it, Croatia were decent but Brazil deserved the win, like it or not. Saying that, it would be an absolute disaster for FIFA if Brazil got knocked out early!

Brazil did deserve to win. But there were some dodgy calls. That said, no worse than what we faced every week in the Premier League. The referee "being under orders" is just nonsense.

[quote user="splutcho"]Brazil did deserve to win. But there were some dodgy calls. That said, no worse than what we faced every week in the Premier League. The referee "being under orders" is just nonsense.[/quote]

If FIFA delegates can take bribes for votes, referee''s from lesser nations can take bungs too.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="splutcho"]Brazil did deserve to win. But there were some dodgy calls. That said, no worse than what we faced every week in the Premier League. The referee "being under orders" is just nonsense.[/quote]

If FIFA delegates can take bribes for votes, referee''s from lesser nations can take bungs too.

[/quote]

Lesser nation? How exactly is Japan a lesser nation Wiz?

Good god, this board. Why would people from smaller countries be more inclined to be immoral and cheat? Bluddy Furriners.

[quote user="splutcho"]And yes, as Bethnal says, what''s "lesser" about Japan?[/quote]

Hardly giants of world football are they?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="splutcho"]And yes, as Bethnal says, what''s "lesser" about Japan?[/quote]

[/quote]

How does that relate to the ''bribeability'' of their officials though?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Prejudiced against Japanese people on the ground of height, short people are more likely to accept bribes, when will this tirade end?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There has been many media suggestions of match fixing in the JJ league recently plus stands for the Japanese only in racist allegations.

Think its quite funny people think he was bribed. If you''re going to bribe a referee you wouldn''t do it for the first game of the World Cup.

He made a couple iffy decisions.

The foul on the Brazil keeper, don''t know why everyone is getting so upset about that. Every single game in every single league you get FKs like that. If a GK falls over after jumping with an opposition player they get a FK. Its not right, but they are ALWAYS given. Always.

The penalty obviously wasn''t a penalty, but think he maybe just panicked a little under pressure. I also don''t think Fred dived, just look at his left foot. If you''re going to dive you don''t almost twist your ankle in doing so, just think he got his footing all wrong as as he tried to turn and with a slight nudge he went down.

Anyway. Definitely not bribed. And the size of Japan, as a country or a footballing nation has nothing to do with it. Wiz you really don''t help yourself do you?

Where are these many media suggestions Wiz?

I just searched J League match fixing and the only recent reports are saying there was no evidence of it happening.

So.... You''re talking rubbish aren''t you? Anyway, why and how do you know what went on when the point of this thread was to boycott the World Cup? Bit odd..

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There has been many media suggestions of match fixing in the JJ league recently plus stands for the Japanese only in racist allegations.

[/quote]

The match fixing allegations were disproved, as the team contacted, Sanfrecce Hiroshima, refused to offer and reported it to the authorities immediately.

The team, Urawa Reds, which had the ''Japanese Only'' banner at their stadium unveiled by fans were forced to play the following home match behind closed doors. A much greater punishment than any European team has recieved for fan rascism.

I think many European teams could learn from the governance in Japanese football.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Where are these many media suggestions Wiz? I just searched J League match fixing and the only recent reports are saying there was no evidence of it happening. So.... You''re talking rubbish aren''t you? Anyway, why and how do you know what went on when the point of this thread was to boycott the World Cup? Bit odd..[/quote]

Ever heard of Sky News Ginger?

Yes Wiz I have.

Like I said I just searched on google. Only articles about match fixing in Japan are about how it was disproven. Go have a look for yourself and please please please if you are going to stick with your statement find me at least five different media outlets saying there have been lots of match fixing going on in Japan. Because basically you''ve just made something up to suit yourself.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Yes Wiz I have. Like I said I just searched on google. Only articles about match fixing in Japan are about how it was disproven. Go have a look for yourself and please please please if you are going to stick with your statement find me at least five different media outlets saying there have been lots of match fixing going on in Japan. Because basically you''ve just made something up to suit yourself.[/quote]

Yes, it was disproven GP, but the racism was proved.

[img]http://www.japantrends.com/japan-trends/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/urawa-reds-japanese-only-soccer-football-racism-xenophobia.jpg[/img]

Now back to the threads subject please.