Sign in to follow this  
#

Please boycott watching the World Cup.

Correct me if I''m wrong, but will the world cup in Brazil make a profit?

I''d say yes. So why not use the profit to help fight against poverty in their own country? Surely this would be the best outcome, everybody wins.

Finally, nothing will change if I turn off my TV for the next month, therefore I will watch it, enjoy it, support my country and appreciate watching the worlds greatest players on the worlds biggest stage.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Buh"]You give FIFA an ultimatum. They have already had enough chances but I can tell you this report try are doin will prove the draw for Qatar was corrupt. Let''s face it, the Russia one was as well they just had a bit of grace to cover it up. But when it is proven that it was corrupt and try still go ahead with it then we just leave. Literally no point in being in an organisation like that I can''t believe they can cock up a World Cup in Brazil that really is "p.iss up in a brewery" territory but they have and the next two will be disastrous. People will die in Russia, trust me. And people already have in Qatar. The whole thing makes me sick.[/quote]

the "evidence" for qatar will magically dissapear... its amazing what a few quid can do.

why will people die in Russia just out of interest?

in the last 20 years we have seen major sporting events take place in South Africa (twice), Korea, China and whilst i do not doubt there have been major issues these countries have held succesful tournaments and who knows.. perhaps in rio at the olympics in 2 years we might see a more positive Brazil?

[/quote]

Eastern Europe and Russia are the most violent, racist horrendous fans you are likely to encounter.

Bananas will be thrown on the pitch and fans will be attacked inside and outside the stadiums. People will die at that World Cup put money on it.

And blood is already on fifas hands for the construction currently underway in Qatar for an event they should not have and that no-one will attend. Can''t see many England fans going to a desert to not drink beer and if you chant the wrong song he your head cut off.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]Correct me if I''m wrong, but will the world cup in Brazil make a profit?

I''d say yes. So why not use the profit to help fight against poverty in their own country? Surely this would be the best outcome, everybody wins.

Finally, nothing will change if I turn off my TV for the next month, therefore I will watch it, enjoy it, support my country and appreciate watching the worlds greatest players on the worlds biggest stage.[/quote]

Just like the money FIFA gave to South Africa helped them?

FIFA steal ALL the money

Qatar is actually one of the more liberal Arab countries (yeah, been there too lol) and alcohol is pretty freely available.

[quote user="morty"]

Qatar is actually one of the more liberal Arab countries (yeah, been there too lol) and alcohol is pretty freely available.

[/quote]

football focus ran a feature on Qatar not too long ago, the guy they spoke to was a coach over there who used to play for charlton... he said the only people critiscising Qatar are the ones who have never been there and other than a lack of facilities theres little to worry about.

they play football already there, plus its hotter in brasil at times.

I wonder how many people have been "killed" at the Qatar grand prix for drinking alcohol trackside?

[quote user="Buh"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Buh"]You give FIFA an ultimatum. They have already had enough chances but I can tell you this report try are doin will prove the draw for Qatar was corrupt. Let''s face it, the Russia one was as well they just had a bit of grace to cover it up. But when it is proven that it was corrupt and try still go ahead with it then we just leave. Literally no point in being in an organisation like that I can''t believe they can cock up a World Cup in Brazil that really is "p.iss up in a brewery" territory but they have and the next two will be disastrous. People will die in Russia, trust me. And people already have in Qatar. The whole thing makes me sick.[/quote]

the "evidence" for qatar will magically dissapear... its amazing what a few quid can do.

why will people die in Russia just out of interest?

in the last 20 years we have seen major sporting events take place in South Africa (twice), Korea, China and whilst i do not doubt there have been major issues these countries have held succesful tournaments and who knows.. perhaps in rio at the olympics in 2 years we might see a more positive Brazil?

[/quote] Eastern Europe and Russia are the most violent, racist horrendous fans you are likely to encounter. Bananas will be thrown on the pitch and fans will be attacked inside and outside the stadiums. People will die at that World Cup put money on it. And blood is already on fifas hands for the construction currently underway in Qatar for an event they should not have and that no-one will attend. Can''t see many England fans going to a desert to not drink beer and if you chant the wrong song he your head cut off.[/quote]

I think you are getting a little carried away now Buh and the valid points you are making are lost in all the hyperbole.

We were all told about how many murders and rapes there would be in South Africa, but crime rate fell due to the World Cup.

My main issue with the 2014 World Cup isn''t FIFA, it is with the Brazilian Government who have completely mismanaged the project and allowed corrupt officials to take money and put it into their own pocket. FIFA have been trying to help Brazil sort out the problems, and they never asked Brazil to build a massive stadium in the rainforest (that was thought up by the Brazilian Government and the corrupt politicians and builders who have made large amounts of money from it).

The problems with corruption at the top of FIFA are different to the problems at the current World Cup - whilst the law changes FIFA force on countries are unpleasant, they are not the route cause of the social injustice currently happening.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]If you''re going to take that stance, I suggest you leave football alone altogether then Wiz.

This is probably going to be the least corrupt World Cup in 12 years at least, so i''m going to enjoy it. Football has done a hell of a lot more to bring about world peace and given hope to millions.

It even has the ability to stop wars, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce#Football_matches

I''m not going to let the actions of some silly old man who judging by his most recent comments will be cooped up in an old peoples home before long ruin the world cup for me!

You know the equation isn''t as simple as "give the poor a load of money and we''ll all be even" anyway, there is far more to it than that. Did you boycott the 2012 Olympics in respect to us poor northerners who had to pay for it and didn''t see much of a return from it? I''d imagine the answer is no.[/quote]It also has the ability to start them, as with El Salvador and Honduras!The problem is that governments, going back as far as the Roman bread and circuses ploy, have always used entertainment to try to distract attention from poverty. But if you start banning countries from hosting sporting events on the basis of political or socio-economic criteria then there is hardly a country anywhere in the world that would be morally clean enough to be acceptable. That goes for most past and future Olympics and World Cups. They would all have to have been staged in Greenland or the Antarctic.

World Cup 2026 - Antarctica! Now that would be well worth a watch!

The "Football War" was not about football, they already hated each other and the football matches played between the two were purely coincidental and should never have been allowed to take place, just as measures are agreed these days to keep nations with increased tensions apart in qualifying draws.

If anything, the World Cup will make a lot of people like me sit up and pay more attention to the problems in Brazil. I feel it can only benefit.

I think we are all getting carried away here....the world cup has highlighted the shortfalls and put Brazil in the focus for all these issues which are not new.

Funny Morty I have comepleted two control packages to Petrobras in recent years with my compay and to get contracts in Brazil you need an agent, again it''s all who knows who to get work there. Brazil has a huge booming economy and this event is just a drop in the ocean in finanacial terms, not to mention the jobs these event creates!

That said every country in the world has it''s own issues and agendas, major sports events just put the focus on it for the time, as others have said on here.

We should leave politics out of sport and yes FIFA as an organisations have a lot to answer to along with most major countries governments, but not at the expense of this event.

I intend to enjoy every minutes of the occasion, last thing has anyone taken note of how Argentina are trying to flare things up by using football to promote the Falklands! Should we bite, is it right that they do this? in it insiting the countries fans? Not good practice to say the least and should be left out of sport.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]World Cup 2026 - Antarctica! Now that would be well worth a watch! The "Football War" was not about football, they already hated each other and the football matches played between the two were purely coincidental and should never have been allowed to take place, just as measures are agreed these days to keep nations with increased tensions apart in qualifying draws. If anything, the World Cup will make a lot of people like me sit up and pay more attention to the problems in Brazil. I feel it can only benefit.[/quote]

Like pretty much everything, the World Cup will neither be totally of benefit or totally negative. There is a lot of research, which I am currently adding to with the book I''m working on, about the effects of ''mega-events'' for every positive you can find a negative. I will say that Brazil is looking as being more negative than positive at the moment, but the true effects won''t be known until after it has finished. What is truely unique is they have another ''mega-event'' just around the corner with the 2016 Olympics - no country has tried the two combined in such a short space in time, I don''t think it will turn out to be a positive experience.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]World Cup 2026 - Antarctica! Now that would be well worth a watch!

The "Football War" was not about football, they already hated each other and the football matches played between the two were purely coincidental and should never have been allowed to take place, just as measures are agreed these days to keep nations with increased tensions apart in qualifying draws.

If anything, the World Cup will make a lot of people like me sit up and pay more attention to the problems in Brazil. I feel it can only benefit.[/quote]Jimmy, if we are being picky then football didn''t stop world war one! It was Christmas rather than football, and all it did was provide a very short respite.The slaughter went on for nearly another four years.Moving on, to take up Bethnal''s idea of a donation to charity, how about doing it by way of the kind of bet we had towards the end of last season? I am willing to send £10 to Oxfam if Ronaldo misses a penalty during the World Cup. Apart from doing good it would be more than worth it just to see The Great Egotist''s embarrassment.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="swindoncanary"]So Wiz Thinks that if I switch off my TV during a World Cup match, even tho'' I''m still paying for it, it''s gonna change the world ? Do you promise to boycott the whole of the World Cup ? [/quote]

Yes I do Swindon, the corruption and injustice sickens me.

When I started this thread I expected the usual insults from some posters, fine, laugh it up, meanwhile men, women and children in Brazil are starving and homeless for the sake of football, I am indeed blessed I''ve never met you all in my life.

[/quote]Wiz you will never find me insulting anyone, so why do you say "I am indeed blessed I''ve never met you all in my life" ? When replying to my post.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="swindoncanary"]So Wiz Thinks that if I switch off my TV during a World Cup match, even tho'' I''m still paying for it, it''s gonna change the world ?
Do you promise to boycott the whole of the World Cup ?
[/quote]

Yes I do Swindon, the corruption and injustice sickens me.

When I started this thread I expected the usual insults from some posters, fine, laugh it up, meanwhile men, women and children in Brazil are starving and homeless for the sake of football, I am indeed blessed I''ve never met you all in my life.

[/quote]

Men, women and children are starving and homeless because you watched an illegal football stream last season.

[quote user="Buh"].

And for all the morons that buy FIFA every year for their consoles YOU are financing a corrupt organisation and are part of the problem.[/quote]Congrats on trying to bury a REALLY dumb comment in a really dumb thread.Just how much money do you think that Fifa will get from game sales? I''d wager that it''s not a huge amount. Yes it''s an ''official Fifa endorsed'' product, but I''d think that most of the money will be going to EA.....

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Buh"].

And for all the morons that buy FIFA every year for their consoles YOU are financing a corrupt organisation and are part of the problem.[/quote]Congrats on trying to bury a REALLY dumb comment in a really dumb thread.Just how much money do you think that Fifa will get from game sales? I''d wager that it''s not a huge amount. Yes it''s an ''official Fifa endorsed'' product, but I''d think that most of the money will be going to EA.....

[/quote]

It''s in the tens of millions of pounds, easily.

FIFA is a sh.it game as well

[quote user="Buh"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Buh"].

[/quote]

It''s in the tens of millions of pounds, easily.

FIFA is a sh.it game as well[/quote]

Make me a better one then.

I used to be into PES but that peaked on PS2, it couldn''t happen the PS3 and online too well and is suffocated by FIFA''s licencing.

Until there''s a better game out ther to fulfill my virtual football needs, i''ll play FIFA.

Virtual football needs is probably the saddest thing I''ve ever heard.

Sponsors, Governments, TV companies, national associations and supporters all put money into the World Cup.

FIFA walk out of that World Cup with most of that money. The ratio of money that they put in to which they draw out is staggering.

As has already been pointed out, they are a "non profit organisation" -with a billion dollars in the bank. They are not, therefore, a non-profit organisation. When Blatter was asked about this money he said it was "a reserve" -yes, for him and his cohorts and hangers on. It''s their reserve.

Year after year, the evidence of corruption within FIFA grows. Yet UEFA and the other national/international associations who could make their contempt known by quitting FIFA and setting up an alternative governing body sit on their hands, say nothing and take the corporate goodie bags home with barely a whimper of protest, hands suitably greased.

Blatter can whinge about UEFA all he likes, he needs them more than they need him and FIFA. One of the many genuinely astonishing things about the man is he doesn''t realise it. The only more astonishing thing than that is they UEFA do know it-but don''t do anything about it. I wonder why?

As for "boycotting" this World Cup for the reasons Wiz gave. Nope, not going to do that. Will watch as many games as I can, read about it, write about it, talk about it. I''m neither making the issues and suffering worse by watching it, nor will they subside if I don''t.

Platini has made his feelings clear on FIFA and blather today

I know platini is as bent as a two bob note but surely a UEFA lead European breakaway would kill FIFA attract all the sponsors and at least stand a chance at a cleaner way forward? Anything has to be better than the current situation

I''m going to plow into an defense for FIFA, which always go down well...

Please don''t confuse the corrupt officials at the top will the entire organisation - these are two very seperate things. If Suzuki Motors had a couple of corrupt directors would you damn the whole organisation and all their staff?

FIFA spends billions on aid and football development around the world. They have programs supplying malaria medicene in Africa, they have football camps and teams for kids from Israel and Plaenstine which is the only chance many of these children have of meeting their ''enemy'', they have worked of diabietes education in the pacific, used football training to help provide food and education to 1,000s of children across South American. Yes they have $1bn in reserve, but that probably isn''t that far off the amount organisations like UNICEF and the Red Cross have in total - charities and non-profits (especially) use large sums to generate further income and pay for administration costs.

Many of the ''bribes'' that get talked about in the World Cup bidding processes are cash donations to poorer footballing federations - Australia gave $4m to the Pacific Island nations the secure votes for the World Cup, England gave money to Caribbean FAs for votes. It is a dirty process but most of that money is then spend on equipment and professional coaching which would be impossible to afford otherwise.

There are 209 Official FIFA nations, more than any other global organsiation, they were one of the first to recognise Palestine as a nation - 14 years before the UN. FIFAs pressure on the Bosnian FA means their football team is one of the few unified organsiations in the country and has helped bring warring people together. FIFA''s strong ''no politics in football'' rule has stopped dictators using football teams as nationalist tools. Pretty much the only time North Korea opens up to the world is for football games - again largely due to the pressure put upon them by FIFA.

I agree changes are needed at FIFA - Blatter feels untouchable and those who would challenge him are hardly squeaky clean, but all in all FIFA is doing far more good in the world than bad, and hopefully once there are changes at the top and a greater accountability it will be able to go further.

There endeth my tribute to FIFA - feel a little dirty now.

[quote user="Buh"]Virtual football needs is probably the saddest thing I''ve ever heard.[/quote]Soooo..... You think this AND you think that Fifa is sh1t....The plot thickens.....Nearly 4 million copies sold at say average £40 a pop. £150 odd million quid? 10-20 million to Fifa? Not a great amount in the grand scheme of things?Do try harder.....

You have literally pulled those figures out of the air

The concept of FIFA the video game is just infuriating to me.

When I''m talking to someone about a footballer and they say "yeah bruv d''s well gud on FIFA n''all" I can feel the IQ of the room dropping.

All of that on too of the fact it bankrolls a corrupt organisation who have stolen the game of football

Whilst you''re not wrong that human welfare should come first, there are many other things that shouldnt exist by this rationale either. Oil oligarchs/sheiks with huge amounts to invest in football clubs, whilst the people of their home nations live in poverty. Correct me if Im wrong Wiz, but werent you calling for exactly one of these types to takeover our football club in place of Delia?

So whilst I agree in theory with your moral crusade against such spending until the playing field is level across the world, there are probably bigger fish to fry. For instance, how do you feel about the UK sending millions of pounds of aid to a country that now has a space program?

Beers are chilling nicely in the fridge and bottle opener is at the ready.

Wiz is always a bit black and white but before you guys start throwing the usual abuse at him the ironic part that you miss from his trolling is that it is usually based around facts or reality that are true or that you dont want to admit. So hats of Wiz to start with.Secondly :-Ancient Rome where the people starved the goverment would pay for lavish Gladitorial games to subdue the people so they would forget thier plight and enjoy themselves.Just saying ;-)Football has always been the cure for the working class. Its just in recent years when the big money has come into the game where it has become a sport for the rich rather than the working class.

well well, a post gently parodying wiz''s thread has been removed''give it out, but not take it'' is once again the motto

err............... just saying, or just posting