Sign in to follow this  
#

Please boycott watching the World Cup.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Its an obscenity imo, starving and homeless people must come first.

FIFA + World Cup = Corruption. :red

[/quote]

I understand Wiz''s sentiment but the only thing that might work is boycotting the sponsors products. Once the supermarkets/warehouses etc  are full of unsold products, and companies like McDonalds, Budweiser, Mars etc are hit in their pockets will things ever change.

I will still be watching. BBC mostly. No ads and better quality.

When I read of the pacification of the favelas by the Skull Para Police forces to try and force the poorest out of Rio in time before tonight''s kick off my hackles go up.

The Brazilian Goverment under pressure from FIFA are, imo, solely responsible for this injustice.

[quote user="Buh"]You have literally pulled those figures out of the air

The concept of FIFA the video game is just infuriating to me.

When I''m talking to someone about a footballer and they say "yeah bruv d''s well gud on FIFA n''all" I can feel the IQ of the room dropping.

All of that on too of the fact it bankrolls a corrupt organisation who have stolen the game of football[/quote]Keep trying....http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/AddPost.aspx?PostID=3137861&Quote=True

FIFA Soccer 14

Global Total as of 31st May 2014 (units): 3.93m
Platform: Xbox 360Also on: Wii, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, iOS, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita, Android, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4
Developer: EA Canada Genre: Sports

Total Units

North America: 0.77m 19.6%
+ Europe: 2.70m 68.9%
+ Japan: 0.01m 0.1%
+ Rest of the World: 0.45m 11.4%
= Global 3.93m

Release History

TitlePublisherRegionDateDistribution
FIFA 14 EA SportsNorth America24th September 2013Retail
FIFA Soccer 14 EA SportsNorth America24th September 2013Retail
FIFA 14 EA SportsEurope27th September 2013Retail
FIFA Soccer 14 EA SportsJapan17th October 2013Retail
£40 was an average of how much it was (£40+) to how much it is now (£30+ on Amazon 30 seconds ago)I wasn''t even counting the amount of money that people would have spent on FUT packs. Which will have been a LOT.But hey, let''s not let the facts get in the way of an argument eh?(BTW Google is incredible! You should try it one day!)[Y]

Whilst a little extreme, I think the OP has started a decent debate and its always interesting to hear each others views on these sorts of topics. Have to say though that those on here that always have to have a go at Wiz when he posts are getting a bit tedious.

It is a big topic and I certainly sympathise with those in Brazil who have a problem seeing something like 9 billion spent when they have so much poverty, I visited Sao Paulo a few years back and the scale of the poverty is stunning. But its happening now, so based on that I feel that everyone should get on with it, pray that its a success and that it makes some money. The problem is that Brazil is so corrupt, just who makes the money and where it will end up is questionable.........

I agree that all of FIFA cannot be corrupt, BUT....they certainly appear to have a huge problem, when Qatar is the "least corrupt" home nation of the recent choices of host nation when compared to South Africa, Brazil and Russia, yet so much focus is put on Qatar. My guess is, well I know actually from seeing a corruption league table recently,that the other three countries have corruption on a totally different scale when compared to Qatar and any investigation should be extended to these countries....I think it would be scary what went on when compared to the tactics I suspect Qatar used.

Choosing such corrupt countries really does question the integrity of FIFA....in particular for me, the choice of Russia leaves a very nasty taste indeed!! 

[quote user="swindoncanary"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="swindoncanary"]So Wiz Thinks that if I switch off my TV during a World Cup match, even tho'' I''m still paying for it, it''s gonna change the world ?
Do you promise to boycott the whole of the World Cup ?
[/quote]

Yes I do Swindon, the corruption and injustice sickens me.

When I started this thread I expected the usual insults from some posters, fine, laugh it up, meanwhile men, women and children in Brazil are starving and homeless for the sake of football, I am indeed blessed I''ve never met you all in my life.

[/quote]

Wiz you will never find me insulting anyone, so why do you say "I am indeed blessed I''ve never met you all in my life" ? When replying to my post.
[/quote]

I was not picking you out Swindon, only the p*ss takers, I apologise if it came across like that. [W]

To be honest, i''ve not really read into the costs of the World Cup to Brazil as a nation - But surely, with the amount of tourism and money coming in to the country over the next weeks will far exceed their costs?

Can that then not be put back in to the country? Or have they spent ridiculously beyond their means meaning they won''t see it back?

[quote user="City1st"]well well, a post gently parodying wiz''s thread has been removed''give it out, but not take it'' is once again the mottoerr............... just saying, or just posting[/quote]

No. A thread was removed. Your thread.  A "gentle parody" in your eyes maybe, but more a "vindictive swipe" to most people.  You are the one who gives it out but can''t take it.  Just replying.  

why can''t they get poor people taking fans to the games in rickshaws ? it would give them a chance to earn a few bob from the world cup and save fans probably a bit worse for wear on alcohol from developing heat stroke on the way to the ground, it''s a win win situation for everyone [:D]

[quote user="im spartacus"]why can''t they get poor people taking fans to the games in rickshaws ? it would give them a chance to earn a few bob from the world cup and save fans probably a bit worse for wear on alcohol from developing heat stroke on the way to the ground, it''s a win win situation for everyone [:D][/quote]Well said.  Too many patronising lefties on this thread saying "shame, shame".  I don''t say "problem", I say "opportunity".  There''s plenty of money to be made out there for the entreprenurial man or woman prepared to think outside the proverbial box.  It''s basically Darwinism, only without the evolutionary bit.

Saw someone earlier in this thread comment how the World Cup is a money maker for the host nation, spare 15 minutes before the kick-off and watch John Oliver''s assessment of FIFA, and note the requirements they make on those who host the competition.

http://gawker.com/john-oliver-explains-how-fifa-will-ruin-the-world-cup-a-1588022581/+jayhathaway

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]well well, a post gently parodying wiz''s thread has been removed''give it out, but not take it'' is once again the mottoerr............... just saying, or just posting[/quote]

No. A thread was removed. Your thread.  A "gentle parody" in your eyes maybe, but more a "vindictive swipe" to most people.  You are the one who gives it out but can''t take it.  Just replying.  

[/quote]oh dear, LDC talks out his ar se againthe OP wasIts an obscenity imo, starving and homeless people must come first.I posted in reply and directed at wizHe is posts obscenities, other raving and hopeless people must come first Hardly a ''vindictive swipe'' as you so alarmingly claimGiven that I have not asked for any thread to be taken down and am happy with ''self deprecation'' (see Rik Mayall thread) the only vindictive swipe being taken is by you LDC, where yet again you have resort to lying, and misrepresentation.As to wiz''s crocodile tears about the poor of Brazil, they might fool a few on here but they smack of nothing more than his usual attention seeking postering.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]What did you make of the first half Wiz?[/quote]Can''t expect him to answer, the second half has kicked off. [;)]

[quote user="Herman "]Well at least it looks like the refs are honest[:|][/quote]Laughable decision.The fix is on.

That''s exactly what ruins this competition. Referees from the lesser footballing countries should not be allowed anywhere near most of the games. The match has been ruined by a poor decision IMO

On the face of it I''ll be very surprised if Brazil win it. Croatia''s second goal should have stood and it looked to me as if there was a foul in the build up to the third goal IMO.

Bazil looked very beatable but sadly the ref hadother ideas.

I think the Croatian goalkeeper will be embarrassed by that performance!  He definitely should''ve saved the penalty and I''m pretty sure he could''ve done more for both Neymars'' (1st) and Oscars'' goals.
Good match apart from that though (and the penalty obviously), although the Brazilian defence looked far more vulnerable than I expected it would. The full-backs may be ultra-attacking but I thought the combined defensive qualities of Siva, Luiz and Gustavo would have performed better.

wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I think the Croatian goalkeeper will be embarrassed by that performance!  He definitely should''ve saved the penalty and I''m pretty sure he could''ve done more for both Neymars'' (1st) and Oscars'' goals.
Good match apart from that though (and the penalty obviously), although the Brazilian defence looked far more vulnerable than I expected it would. The full-backs may be ultra-attacking but I thought the combined defensive qualities of Siva, Luiz and Gustavo would have performed better.
[/quote]

embarrassed .... really ?nothing new as -hereMickey Mouse football

[quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@][/quote]
Sets the tone of things to come - corrupt officials employed by a corrupt organisation.

I agree with Wiz on this. FIFA and they IOC have clearly taken money from hosts, like Russia and China with the Olympics and Qatar with the World Cup. These are wealthy nations with despotic regimes that treat their people like dirt, yet FIFA and the IOC cheerfully take their money and allow those countries to lap up the PR. Trouble is a boycott would never work, which means the IOC and FIFA are essentially unaccountable, whatever corruption they are shown to be involved in.

[quote user="im spartacus"]wouldn''t surprise me if the refs have had a directive from blatter to get brazil going and get the nation onside so they don''t have the embarrassment of a country in dissent in the background. I don''t think that was a mistake by the ref i think he was given his orders at half time [:@][/quote]Agree with this 100%A complete stitch up - never a penalty & there was nothing wrong with the disallowed goal.Wonder what underhand plans Blatter has for England - it''s a sure thing that there''s absolutely no chance of us being allowed to win it

Wiz does have a point.Regardless of the homeless, that first game was fixedWhat is the point of getting excited about a competition that isnt played fairly