Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Do you wish you were German?

There isn''t a better place in the World to be a football fan than German in my opinion. The clubs are usually well run, with fans as part owners (or majority owners in many cases), season ticket prices are cheap, the quality of football on display is good, atmosphere in the stadiums is excellent, you can drink beer whilst watching the game, very little crowd trouble, lots of German players on display for those who worry about that kind of thing and one of the most successful national teams in the World.

The only downfall of the Bundesliga is it is dominated by Bayern and the league is only ever really contested by two teams in any season (Bayern +1) - Bayern are still pretty nice rival to have for many teams though, considering they loaned Dortmund money cheaply about 10 years ago so they would avoid becoming bankrupt.

For those that haven''t been to Germany to watch football I highly recommend it - just for the guys who wander around the stands selling beer by the litre and wursts.

As for England being like Germany... Impossible whilst the Premier League is so much richer than every other league in the world, it makes transfers of domestic players massively overpriced and forces everyone to shop abroad, whilst also stopping young English players looking to play overseas.

Seems a daft question to me - If people want to support Germany regardless of nationality they can - and someone could become German by living over there for a period of time and applying for citizenship.

What next a question that says "Don''t you wish you supported Man U, Man C, Chelsea etc"

Why would we wish to be another nationality because of football. Bit strong, aha. But, it''s a shame we can''t produce the same team work that they do.

The majority of their players are class, but like England, they''re not littered with global superstars like Messi and Ronaldo. They just know how their team works best with the players they''ve got. Unlike England, who force players into the team because they''re a ''name''.

And you have the nerve to accuse posters of trashing threads Lakey but of course one rule for you and another for others.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Fromage Frais"]I do like Germanay. Better football with cheaper tickets being able to watch the football in a nice sized family house which cost under £300,000 would be good also. Its not a cheap country but its not such as rip off as here.[/quote]

Germany is an impressive country in many ways.  Organised, precise and discilplined. Remember being driven across Germany in the seventies where I was astounded to see how the cars would move over without fail at junctions on the autobahns to let cars in.   Something that just didn''t happen in GB at the time - it took years before it "caught on" in this country - even now its not automatic.    And the desire for precision in their engineering is imprinted in their DNA.   Still think Britain is the best country to live in and ignoring historical factors, Germany is impressive, for many reasons.

[/quote]

Their spelling''s pretty precise too. [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]And you have the nerve to accuse posters of trashing threads Lakey but of course one rule for you and another for others. [/quote]??   A little fun is not trashing a thread.   Lighten up.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]well, as no-one else is going to mention the elephant in the room, i guess I will.

I''d implore anybody to visit Auschwitz before answering this question?[/quote]Particularly with the subject title,it was only a matter of time before someone played the Godwin''s Law card,, I guess......

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''d implore anybody to visit Auschwitz before answering this question?[/quote]
''This'' question?
Is the answer ''you would?'' acceptable?  or is it bad form to answer a question with another question?  Oh rats i''ve done it twice now... Is it wrong to answer a question with TWO questions?!  Make that THREE! 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]well, as no-one else is going to mention the elephant in the room, i guess I will.

I''d implore anybody to visit Auschwitz before answering this question?[/quote]

What happened before 1945 is deep history to any German under 70 years old and as a nation and people they have done much soul searching about it - and most of have moved on, especially younger ones.   Memories will remain in the over seventies - and the austerity of post- war Germany will be known by many of the older Germans.  Pinning the Auschwitz card on them though, in this day and age, is unnecessary - as if anything, it is a reminder to all people what the human race is capable of, not just  specifically Germans.   Every country in existence has suppressed certain people in its population by either imprisoning them, ostracising them  or killing them, to an either lesser or greater degree.   Auschswitz was just the lowest point as far as humanity is concerned, but lets not pretend the tendency to hate and kill and dehumanise is exclusive to Germany or any other nation.  Auschwitz is simply a message from history to the human race.  

Their football though - and their ability to reinvent it as they did 10/12 years ago is to be marvelled at. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]well, as no-one else is going to mention the elephant in the room, i guess I will.

I''d implore anybody to visit Auschwitz before answering this question?[/quote]

What happened before 1945 is deep history to any German under 70 years old and as a nation and people they have done much soul searching about it - and most of have moved on, especially younger ones.   Memories will remain in the over seventies - and the austerity of post- war Germany will be known by many of the older Germans.  Pinning the Auschwitz card on them though, in this day and age, is unnecessary - as if anything, it is a reminder to all people what the human race is capable of, not just  specifically Germans.   Every country in existence has suppressed certain people in its population by either imprisoning them, ostracising them  or killing them, to an either lesser or greater degree.   Auschswitz was just the lowest point as far as humanity is concerned, but lets not pretend the tendency to hate and kill and dehumanise is exclusive to Germany or any other nation.  Auschwitz is simply a message from history to the human race.  

Their football though - and their ability to reinvent it as they did 10/12 years ago is to be marvelled at. 

[/quote]

"all" of humanity may or may not be capable of it....but the fact is it was Germany, no-one else...and Auschwitz does and will always act as a disgusting real life stain on that country''s actions ....still within people''s living memory today aswell as their descendants.

as for their football...you can put into practice things to "re-invent" football. but football is too random and chaotic for that....had Messi or Higauin''s chances have gone in ,it would now be 18 years without winning anything and counting......if we''re being particularly pedantic , this was only Germany''s first World Cup win as the nation they currently are?....convenient that theyre adding this world cup onto West Germany''s three and not East Germany''s zero?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]well, as no-one else is going to mention the elephant in the room, i guess I will.

I''d implore anybody to visit Auschwitz before answering this question?[/quote]What happened before 1945 is deep history to any German under 70 years old and as a nation and people they have done much soul searching about it - and most of have moved on, especially younger ones.   Memories will remain in the over seventies - and the austerity of post- war Germany will be known by many of the older Germans.  Pinning the Auschwitz card on them though, in this day and age, is unnecessary - as if anything, it is a reminder to all people what the human race is capable of, not just  specifically Germans.   Every country in existence has suppressed certain people in its population by either imprisoning them, ostracising them  or killing them, to an either lesser or greater degree.   Auschswitz was just the lowest point as far as humanity is concerned, but lets not pretend the tendency to hate and kill and dehumanise is exclusive to Germany or any other nation.  Auschwitz is simply a message from history to the human race.   Their football though - and their ability to reinvent it as they did 10/12 years ago is to be marvelled at.  [/quote]

"all" of humanity may or may not be capable of it....but the fact is it was Germany, no-one else...and Auschwitz does and will always act as a disgusting real life stain on that country''s actions ....still within people''s living memory today aswell as their descendants.

as for their football...you can put into practice things to "re-invent" football. but football is too random and chaotic for that....had Messi or Higauin''s chances have gone in ,it would now be 18 years without winning anything and counting......if we''re being particularly pedantic , this was only Germany''s first World Cup win as the nation they currently are?....convenient that theyre adding this world cup onto West Germany''s three and not East Germany''s zero?[/quote]

That is a very good point.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]if we''re being particularly pedantic , this was only Germany''s first World Cup win as the nation they currently are?....convenient that theyre adding this world cup onto West Germany''s three and not East Germany''s zero?[/quote]
That''s because Germany is West Germany aka the Federal Republic of Germany. The GDR (East) essentially dissolved and became part of the FRG (West) which is what Germany is still officially today.
[quote]The “West Germany” team was still run by the DFB, and they were a continuation of the pre-war team. When Germany was reunified, “East Germany” ceased to be, and the Deutscher Fußball-Verband der DDR was absorbed into the “West German” DFB. So whether they were called Germany, “West Germany” or the “Federal Republic of Germany”, the team that won the World Cup in 1954, 1974 and 1990 was most definitely the international representative team run by the Deutscher Fußball-Bund and wearing the same badge that the 2014 team is.[/quote]

Anyway more to the point, aren''t we all basically German? Genetically speaking anyway.

[quote user="Jenkins"]What a foolish thread.[/quote]Disagree totally, Jenkins.Perhaps on reflection, Lakey would have been better advised to title it " Do you wish you were a German football fan", but that aside, it''s been one of the most interesting debates for some time, and in the main, one not hijacked by the ''I know better than you'' crowd.If I''m to be picky, I suppose it''s relevance to NCFC is open to question !

[quote user="Jenkins"]The thread is full of abusive posts Reggie. Not the boards finest.[/quote]Clearly you don''t read all the threads on here, Jenks. If you did, you''d realise that this one was relatively troll free in comparison.

If I read all the threads on here Reggie I fear I might catch some sort of nasty contagious internet virus which makes you call everybody a genital organ.