Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

We need a Holt, Iwan, Ashton or even Davies...

Simply for next season we must wait until the manager is either announced or confirmed.

I am sure whoever he is his tactical play will not be the same as the previous manager and as such he will want to attract players that suit his plan.

I find it pointless naming players without knowing what will be asked of them.

I would certainly agree with most that we have missed a leader on the pitch and that must be a priority of the new regime.

It isn''t always a costly business signing these target men. I can remember Justin Fashanu and Chris Sutton costing us very little!

Perhaps there is hope that others will appear from the same source.

According to today''s Sun Southampton might be about to implode, manager going and major players off too. Ricky Lambert anyone ?

[quote user="CANARYKING"]According to today''s Sun Southampton might be about to implode, manager going and major players off too. Ricky Lambert anyone ?[/quote]

I suggested this too on Nutty''s thread and I agree he could be a great asset - if he is prepared to step down a league - and that is the problem.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Simply for next season we must wait until the manager is either announced or confirmed.

I am sure whoever he is his tactical play will not be the same as the previous manager and as such he will want to attract players that suit his plan.

I find it pointless naming players without knowing what will be asked of them.

I would certainly agree with most that we have missed a leader on the pitch and that must be a priority of the new regime.

It isn''t always a costly business signing these target men. I can remember Justin Fashanu and Chris Sutton costing us very little!

Perhaps there is hope that others will appear from the same source.[/quote]

There maybe hope that we will produce a younster. Another Fashanu would be awesome. But Fash was a huge character at the club and came in to dominate Forest''s Lloyd and Burns at a very young age. I don''t see that now but never say never.

If you don''t want to discuss this until the new manager is appointed I fail to see what point you''re trying to make. If you want to moan about this season there''s an absolute plethora of threads to do it.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CANARYKING"]According to today''s Sun Southampton might be about to implode, manager going and major players off too. Ricky Lambert anyone ?[/quote]

I suggested this too on Nutty''s thread and I agree he could be a great asset - if he is prepared to step down a league - and that is the problem.[/quote]

Oh, this is Nutty''s thread, my bad...[:$]

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 10/05/2014 2:07 PM:

Why would Lambert be prepared to play in the Championship?

Anybody got an answer to that one cos I haven''t?

England striker Rickie Lambert, taking a drop to the Championship.I''m going to tentatively hoist up my "I doubt it" flag on this one.

I suppose, Nigel, that Connor Wickham is the kind of player you are describing and we all know he saved Sunderland.

You do actually have a point here.

[quote user="morty"]England striker Rickie Lambert, taking a drop to the Championship.I''m going to tentatively hoist up my "I doubt it" flag on this one.[/quote]
Agree. 
If he were to become available I would not be surprised to see West Ham make a move as Carroll''s fitness is a tad unreliable.

Nutty - The point that I was trying to make was exactly what you have just said. It is quite pointless to discuss new players until the manager has been appointed or confirmed as I am sure the new man will not have the same tactical ideas as Chris Hughton and will not use players in the same way.

Unlike many, and I believe you also, I have not given up on two very expensive signings who I believe could still have quite a bit to offer the club. But what they have to offer, or not, depends greatly on who is managing the team and what he will be looking for.

I was merely trying to point out the difficulties those players have experienced this season.

Many of us, me included have been posting the same thing since Holt left, but for the most part we got ignored or ridiculed by the likes of LDC, Nutty Morty etc

Suddenly everyone agreess

[quote user="city4eva"]Many of us, me included have been posting the same thing since Holt left, but for the most part we got ignored or ridiculed by the likes of LDC, Nutty Morty etc

Suddenly everyone agreess[/quote]I ridiculed the idea of Grant Holt still being up to Premiership standard. Fairly sure I have never ridiculed the importance of strong characters and team spirit.

I criticised Holt, as a professional athlete, for not maintaining his weight and fitness. He may have been hacked off; he probably likes to keep fit by playing; but in my opinion he failed a minimum requirement there.

Aside from that he, along with Lambert now emerges as a key figure in our revival. McNally has slipped to the second tier.

Hughton and his coaches failed to recognise the man''s value, along with others.

You criticised Holt. Tugged your forelock and backed McNally''s stance and said Holt should have been sold to West Ham. You were tugging that forelock so hard you''d have got rid before Hughton even picked his first ever side...

[quote user="city4eva"]Many of us, me included have been posting the same

thing since Holt left, but for the most part we got

ignored or ridiculed by the likes of
LDC, Nutty Morty etc Suddenly everyone

agreess[/quote]

Now you wouldn''t just have made that up would you?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I suppose, Nigel, that Connor Wickham is the kind of player you are describing and we all know he saved Sunderland.

You do actually have a point here.[/quote]

Connor Wickham?

Is that the best you can come up with? Do you have a pilot''s licence by any chance or can you fly a bike?

The problem is that old fashioned centre forwards command a premium price. Does anyone remember the Steve Howard debacle? Worthington''s first choice was Rob Hulse, but he went to the Premiership, and then he wanted Steve Howard. But Neil Doncaster said he was too expensive and too old. So we began our slide towards League One, and Howard went to Premiership with Derby.

The manager is more important than the names.

But assuming a target man is needed for alternative if nothing else becchio may deserve another chance.

If not how about the much vaunted guidetti? Little impact at stoke but not a small unit and a step down may suit???