Sign in to follow this  
Dibs

Lennon Latest

[quote user="Champions"]I''m sorry, am I seeing things?

You are an English Championship side. You''re too good for Neil Lennon?

He is a manager that has commented commendably in the Champions League for the last two seasons on a shoestring budget - and your tiny little club is too good for him?

What more experience does he need? Managing in the most overrated, overhyped and debt ridden league on the planet?

It''s laughable that you guys are even discussing him coming. Why would he give up trophies and Champions League football for a club that is deteriorating? As opposed to staying at a debt free club on the rise, with great young players coming through?

I''m sorry if I have came across as disrespectful, but the arrogance some of the Norwich support showed during the Hooper links and now this has really irked me.

I look forward to watching Neil Lennon guide us to the Last 16 for the second time in 3 years.[/quote]

[:D]  You''re welcome to him, thanks.   Good luck next season with your really competitive league................
1 Celtic  P    38 GD77  G99
2 Motherwell 38 4 70
3 Aberdeen 38 15 68
4 Dundee Utd 38 15 58
5 Inverness CT 38 0 57
6 St Johnstone 38 6 53
7 Ross County 38 -18 40
8 St Mirren 38 -19 39
9 Kilmarnock 38 -21 39
10 Partick Thistle 38 -19 38
11 Hibernian 38 -20 35
12 Hearts 38 -20  23

Champions, no one has said we''re too good for Lennon, they''ve just pointed out that champions league football is his only challenge managing in scotland

He is a manager that has commented commendably in the Champions League for the last two seasons on a shoestring budget - and your tiny little club is too good for him?

What more experience does he need? Managing in the most overrated, overhyped and debt ridden league on the planet?

It''s laughable that you guys are even discussing him coming. Why would he give up trophies and Champions League football for a club that is deteriorating? As opposed to staying at a debt free club on the rise, with great young players coming through?

I''m sorry if I have came across as disrespectful, but the arrogance some of the Norwich support showed during the Hooper links and now this has really irked me.

I look forward to watching Neil Lennon guide us to the Last 16 for the second time in 3 years.[/quote]

[:D]  You''re welcome to him, thanks.   Good luck next season with your really competitive league................
1 Celtic  P    38 GD77   P99
2 Motherwell 38 4 70
3 Aberdeen 38 15 68
4 Dundee Utd 38 15 58
5 Inverness CT 38 0 57
6 St Johnstone 38 6 53
7 Ross County 38 -18 40
8 St Mirren 38 -19 39
9 Kilmarnock 38 -21 39
10 Partick Thistle 38 -19 38
11 Hibernian 38 -20 35
12 Hearts 38 -20  23

Just shows how good he is. 99 points - that''s fantastic. Every single team in that league ups their game when they face Celtic. They all treat it like a cup final.

Mock the league all you want, but the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester City think there are players good enough to scout in it.

Norwich is also a debt free club that was on the rise Champions, until Hughton got a team that should have been mid table relegated. Promising youngsters? We have plenty of those as well. Why would he leave Celtic for here? Because he has achieved all he can at Celtic and I would imagine the chance to take a team out of a very difficult league and back into the PL would be far more of a challenge than competing in a one team league where it''s won before a ball has been kicked.

I see no reason as to why he can''t take us to the Last 8.

Juventus had to cheat their way past us in the Last 16.

Come on Champions, get real. You making the last 8 would be like Accrington Stanley getting to the fa cup final. It might happen one in a thousand attempts.

I look forward to watching Neil Lennon guide us to the Last 16 for the second time in 3 years.[/quote]Fair enough, but let us get a few things clear.Norwich are too, free of debt, with many young players coming through brought in two excellent young players last summer in Redmond and Fer.we have gone down a league, that does not mean deteriorating. with the right manager we could easily be in the premier league for the 15/16 season. just as with the wrong one we can stay in the championship. Personally, for me, I believe Lennon is the right one, and getting us in the prem, followed by two or three seasons with us, we will be a decent steppingstone for him to get a ''bigger'' prem job after making us established in the prem. He has no chance of landing a job in any league that has competition, as he only plays around 10 competitive games in a year (champions league groups and a round after, if they make it.)

I constantly see your fans go on about "winning trophies" with Celtic. but honestly, what is the achievement there? If Southamptons current team played in tournaments that consisted of them and league one and two teams, they would win every trophy every time, but the difference would be they wouldn''t brag about it as an accomplishment.your "great young players" are great in the scottish league. it''s really not saying much.sorry if this seems disrespectful, but Celtic fans come across like their trophies and champions league status (which they will never have a chance of winning in the next 50 years) is something to be proud of. when in fact they are handed to you on a silver platter, with the rest of your countries teams bent over ready to take whatever you throw at them.

If we keep the squad we have and add a good winger and striker I see no reason as to why we couldn''t.

Celtic can beat anyone at Celtic Park.

I would never denigrate Celtic, their support is fantastic, and I have been there a couple of times. But there isn''t any competition at all, there is surely more to life than winning a title that only you can win, and having the odd Euro run.

if Lennon wants to really prove himself it may well have to be in England. Sadly for him, none of the PL sides seem to be willing to take a punt so he may well have to start in the Champs - those are the facts as I see them.

Those great young players that guided us to the Last 16?

We have to go through three qualifying rounds in order to get to the group stages of the Champions League.

We face teams in the group stages that have players that cost more than our whole squad did.

[quote user="Champions"]Just shows how good he is. 99 points - that''s fantastic. Every single team in that league ups their game when they face Celtic. They all treat it like a cup final.

Mock the league all you want, but the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester City think there are players good enough to scout in it.[/quote]

99 points shows how scandalously unequal the League is.  Nearest club got 70 points.  A totally one sided league.    And RM and MC scouting?  Just because the bigger clubs have a large pool of scouts they can send out everywhere, including Scotland, doesn''t mean an awful lot.  

You are still a big club, but  until the league improves up there, it is fairly meaningless that you win every year by such a big margin.  If Lennon does come south, then it will be because he wants to compete on a level playing field with other clubs.  But if he does come South I hope its not to us!

Enjoy whatever manager you do get, then. I predict it''ll be one that plays a a 4-4-2 with stone age tactics - kind of in the Tim Sherwood mould.

Just because his name is "Neil Lennon", he''s Irish and the media make him out to be a thug he''s not good enough.

I bet if his name was Nadir Lennchenko and he was from a place like Argentina, you lot would be over the moon at the prospect of him joining. Imagine that? A Champions League manager managing your club.

"We face teams in the group stages that have players that cost more than our whole squad did."

Welcome to our world, this is why you will never win the Champions League and we will never win the Premiership.

However why you will continue to dominate your league until Rangers catch up with you, in many many seasons time, we do have room to progress, challenge for first promotion and then progression in the PL.

I''m not saying Lennon will come but it isn''t as unfeasible as you would have us imagine.

I don''t understand what the fuss is about with lennon. To get out of the championship, your best bet is to employ a management team who have done it before, and will be able to judge how far away we are from a promotion winning side we are over tthe summer, to then determine who we need to bring in.

I wonder if some people are just dazzled with the association to a champions league side.

[quote user="Monty13"]"We face teams in the group stages that have players that cost more than our whole squad did."

Welcome to our world, this is why you will never win the Champions League and we will never win the Premiership.

However why you will continue to dominate your league until Rangers catch up with you, in many many seasons time, we do have room to progress, challenge for first promotion and then progression in the PL.

I''m not saying Lennon will come but it isn''t as unfeasible as you would have us imagine.[/quote]

We will catch up with them.

Since Lennon became manager we have been signing some top quality young players.

The likes of Xavi have already hailed Fraser Forster as world class. We sold Wanyama and replaced him with a better player in Van Dijk (he is a defender, but drives forwards a lot) and Biton also looks like he could become better than Wanyama.

We have yet to replace Hooper, but I am certain he will be replaced in the summer.

Celtic is a club on the rise.

You''ve got us totally wrong there Champions. The very reason we who want Lennon, and that includes respected figures in the game, is because he is the total opposite to that in effective geezer we sacked.

We need someone who is going to kick asre and develop characters in the team.

Unfortunately you have caught the attention of Lake District Canary a legend on this board. Complains bitterly if someone is rude to him and yet spends his daylight hours doing exactly that to contributors.

It is a doubtless privilege for you to experience his educated tongue

[quote user="Champions"]Enjoy whatever manager you do get, then. I predict it''ll be one that plays a a 4-4-2 with stone age tactics - kind of in the Tim Sherwood mould.

Just because his name is "Neil Lennon", he''s Irish and the media make him out to be a thug he''s not good enough.

I bet if his name was Nadir Lennchenko and he was from a place like Argentina, you lot would be over the moon at the prospect of him joining. Imagine that? A Champions League manager managing your club.[/quote]

Its got nothing to do with a name, foreign or otherwise for me.  Imo we should get someone in who has proved himself in the English Leagues because to get out of any of them, L2, L1 or the championship, you have to have proved yourself in a very competitive league.  By any stretch of the imagination, Lennon has not done that - and I don''t want him practicing with us.  

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]You''ve got us totally wrong there Champions. The very reason we who want Lennon, and that includes respected figures in the game, is because he is the total opposite to that in effective geezer we sacked.

We need someone who is going to kick asre and develop characters in the team.

Unfortunately you have caught the attention of Lake District Canary a legend on this board. Complains bitterly if someone is rude to him and yet spends his daylight hours doing exactly that to contributors.

It is a doubtless privilege for you to experience his educated tongue[/quote]

Just where exactly have I been rude to Champions?  

You may like to have Lennon, I would not - a difference of opinion that is all.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Champions"]Just shows how good he is. 99 points - that''s fantastic. Every single team in that league ups their game when they face Celtic. They all treat it like a cup final.

Mock the league all you want, but the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester City think there are players good enough to scout in it.[/quote]

99 points shows how scandalously unequal the League is.  Nearest club got 70 points.  A totally one sided league.    And RM and MC scouting?  Just because the bigger clubs have a large pool of scouts they can send out everywhere, including Scotland, doesn''t mean an awful lot.  

You are still a big club, but  until the league improves up there, it is fairly meaningless that you win every year by such a big margin.  If Lennon does come south, then it will be because he wants to compete on a level playing field with other clubs.  But if he does come South I hope its not to us!

[/quote]

And we must not forget that the Prem is such an open league that any one of four teams can win it and how much longer before that narrows to three. Liverpool have never won it.

The teams at the top are banging in goals for fun against minnows like us. The EPL is rapidly becoming just the same as every other league in Europe.

And to think the highest placed English manager in the Prem has just been sacked!

Lambert hadn''t really had any success before he came to us had he LDC, apart from the cup run at Wycombe.

And to our Glasweigan friend, I don''t think too many Norwich fans think Celtic are a smaller club than us or anything like that, that''s obviously not the case, there are just some concerns over the abilities of a manager who has only managed in a league that is totally non competitive, and I don''t think you can really argue with that. Motherwell would struggle to stay in the Championship.

You may think he''d never leave you for us, you may be right, (we''ll find out soon enough) but if he has ambitions to manage at a higher level (than the SPL as a league not Celtic as a club) then he''s probably going to have to go to the Championship as a stepping stone, and like it or not we''re probably an attractive proposition in that respect.

One of the biggest injustices in football is that teams like Celtic (and dare I say Rangers) do not have the opportunity to play in competitive football enough.

It''s all very well to say Celtic play in the Champions league but it doesn''t do them a lot of good if the match before they play Real Madrid they are away at Montrose.

The time for a European league is upon us now.

If we had that and they played in a competitive league there would be no reason for Neil Lennon to look elsewhere.

As it is he has to, otherwise he will never know how good he could have been.

Even Jock Stein tried it ............. even if it was for a very short time.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Lambert hadn''t really had any success before he came to us had he LDC, apart from the cup run at Wycombe. [/quote]

He had put together a good team at Colchester in the previous year - and

it was no coincidence that he was appointed after the 1-7.  McNally

would have been well aware about Lambert before that, but the 1-7 was 

kind of a calling card......

[quote user="Champions"]I see no reason as to why he can''t take us to the Last 8.

Juventus had to cheat their way past us in the Last 16.[/quote]

i can, because celtic have the quality of a lge1 team.

[quote user="skippdogg"][quote user="Champions"]I see no reason as to why he can''t take us to the Last 8.

Juventus had to cheat their way past us in the Last 16.[/quote]

i can, because celtic have the quality of a lge1 team.[/quote]

can u c tht init?

[quote user="Champions"]Enjoy whatever manager you do get, then. I predict it''ll be one that plays a a 4-4-2 with stone age tactics - kind of in the Tim Sherwood mould.

I bet if his name was Nadir Lennchenko and he was from a place like Argentina, you lot would be over the moon at the prospect of him joining. Imagine that? A Champions League manager managing your club.[/quote]

I actually kinda agree with this.

But, by the way, any slant on here about Lennon is to do with knocking the league you play in and the Challenges Lennon has had to face so far. No one here would deny that Celtic is a massive club with great support/history etc and we don''t think we''re too good for Lennon, we''re just apprehensive about taking on someone whose only managerial experience has been at the biggest and richest club in the league by a frigging mile and just doing what was expected of him.

However for me personally I''d love to have him here, he''s a winner and if we can keep our team and make some decent signings managing us in the Championship next year wouldn''t be all that different to Celtic in the SPL (Squad strength not club size)

Mick Dennis has just Tweeted that he doesn''t think he''s in the running anyway:

@MickDennisReal: @richardjsmith62 @chrisvertigan @mutmeist Lennon is self-publicist but I don''t think he''s in frame.

Catbeard, yes Celtic are a huge club with a great history. but if we cared about history we would show ipswich at least an ounce of respect. but we don''t. history is in the past.Celtic will probably always remain bigger than Norwich. but bigger isn''t better. 1 out of 4 teams winning the prem is still better than 1 out of 1. and with clubs like southampton and everton on the rise, with spurs seemingly ever closer to get things right, there is good competition for the top 4 champions league spots. And yes the top teams can score goals for fun against the bottom, but the bottom often fight back and score a few themselves, and often win against the top too. Our cups are also up for grabs for any team (swansea and Wigan last season.)Celtic deserve respect up to a point. but while they think their team is untouchable and they are better than they are, they will receive very little to none here.

Javier..

Exactly, I was just explaining to our Scottish friend who clearly has no chip on his shoulder, like at all... why so many were against Lennon. It wasn''t a disrespect to their club or Neil himself, we''re nervous about plucking a manager whose entire career has been like managing Spurs in league 1 every year and not winning the JPT most of the time,comparatively. That post was just for his benefit.

But i do agree with his assessment of Sherwood and his complete lack of tactical nous and about how we seem to get more excited by someone with a foreign name, he''s damn right there!