Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

If Adams Keeps Us Up Should He Be The Next Manager?

how is it polite to tell someone to fu(k off?

Anyway, it''s not that i''m embarrassed that we chose him as a replacement, i''m saying it would be embarrassing if we managed to stay up and then appointed him as manager permanently.

However, perhaps you''re right. I''m quite a big fan of Doncaster Rovers (and no thats not a reference to neil doncaster), and are my second team if you like. In terms of wanting a big name manager, Paul Dickov is only slightly longer thane Neil Adams, so i reckon i''ll stick with norwich for the time being

It would all depend on the manner in which we stayed up, whether it was down to us, or other teams failings, the style of play etc.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]He should be the deputy messiah learning from the great man when the second colin happens[/quote]Ah! You meant Warnock all along. [:O]And there was me thinking you meant Lambert. [:S]

Going to sit on the fence. If we play well and get more points than ch was (5) on track for probablyhe will stay

If we scrape itwith no marked improvent then not

We can''t judge until we see how Neil Adams performs as a PL manager. Can he setup a team, can he motivate players, can he read a game, can he make tactical substitutions, can he counter what the opposition manager is doing?

If he has these abilities then there is no reason why he could not be appointed on a permanent basis.

At 48 he not a young man and may not wish to remain as youth team coach forever. I guess he has ambitions too and a 5 match run in the shop window is going to show everybody his capabilities

Feeling good about this too Carlos, as i read elsewhere it''s Norwich against the world and this is when we will see who is really up for the fight, and who wants to hide themselves away.

I don''t understand this question - surely he already is the next manager.

The youth cup team played high tempo, aggressive football. My worry is that premier league teams will stifle us if we set out like that, 8 behind the ball / counter attack etc, and the end result could be the same.

To stay up we need a couple of things to happen really. We need an in form striker who gets service for a couple of matches, or an in form set piece taker.

We also need a back 4 / back 8 who are fully awake for 90 minutes.

In reality it shouldn''t be much to ask for. A draw or win against Fulham, a couple of draws and no embarrassments against the bigger teams, and I reckon we''re safe.

As for the question of budget, if Adams works with Chester and McNally, then there''s pressure removed in this area. It''s not like they''re going to sign a 1 goal striker for 8.5 million or anything.

Oh. Well Adams probably won''t do any worse than his predeccesor then.

SplatCat wrote the following post at 11/04/2014 10:48 PM:

Really can''t disagree enough with some of the posters on here who are writing off Neil Adams for the permanent job before we have even seen his NCFC team play once.

The guy got our under 18s playing some cracking football and winning the youth cup against teams like Chelsea who spend a fair bit on their youth teams. That is no mean achievement.

He has interviewed very well this week and has talked about playing an attacking, aggressive mode of football, which our fans have been clamouring for for ages, and which is the Norwich way after all, or used to be.

"He has no European contacts" - who gives a ***? Being able to tell a good player from a dud is what counts. We have a European network of scouts who should do their job properly.

I do not agree with bringing someone in with more experience simply because they have more experience. So many managers, like Rodgers or Steve Clarke or, yes Chris Hughton or Gary Monk or Guardiola or Nigel Adkins, to pick a random list, moved from the background into the hot seat at some point.

It''s a crucial time for the club but we have to back their judgment. We''ve got to trust the board of directors to make the right decision based on a) how the next 5 games go b) the way Adams runs the club behind the scenes c) his immediate plan for improving the playing squad this summer, and d) his more general plan for how to move the club forward in the long term. It''s not the time to make decisions based on what the rest of the footballing world think/what is the cliched foresighted thing to do (ie bring in a random exotic foreign manager for the sake of appearing forward thinking). It''s simply about getting the best man for the job.

Much depends  on whether he can improve the team in 5 short weeks.If we scarpe staying up or are relegated then No.If however, we start looking to win games and do actually win a few then i would say he has earned the opportunity.

If he keeps us up, and with reasonable performances in the games, then why not? I would settle for 3 draws if he does so, and they acquit themselves well, this would be an excellent sequence.

I can''t see us getting a top manager without paying a heft sum, an unknown manager would be a risk, and there plenty or unemployed ex-managers I wouldn''t want.

8 behind the ball, counter attack. Wasn''t that just the Chelsea game where even the youth team is assembled at the cost of millions.

Neil Adams will have us playing attacking football. I predict a direct aggressive style with good wing play and the little men causing havoc where defenders don''t want them.

And wouldn''t a Wolfswinkle explosion of form be the sweetest icing on the cake ever

Miggens

"how is it polite to tell someone to fu(k off?

Anyway, it''s not that i''m embarrassed that we chose him as a replacement, i''m saying it would be embarrassing if we managed to stay up and then appointed him as manager permanently. "

I just dont get this embarrassed thing. Embarrassing for who, embarrassed that we had a manger that had rescued our season and kept us in the Prem.

Your the embarrassment my friend.

Sorry Miggins but I don''t understand the embarrassing aspect you keep harping on about in this thread.

There''s nothing embarrassing about replacing Hughton with Adams for the last 5 games - contrary to national media who only step inside Norfolk twice a year for when the two Manchester teams turn up for a match.

Keeping Hughton on as long as we did, despite the drab football, awful away record and fan pessimism - would surely be classed as more embarrassing than letting Adams stay on next season - assuming of course we see a big transition in the team in both performance, desire, and at the end of the day - results?

We need to look at this objectively, and I''m pretty sure that if Hughton had been removed last summer, then I very much doubt many fans would have been happy with the suggestion that Adams take over instead for this season.Under current circumstances I fully support the temporary appointment of Adams and feel it''s probably the best choice all round, but even if he does OK in these last 5 games then I still think it''s too soon for him to step up to the full time role on a permanent basis.I''d certainly support a suggestion that he be given a chance as first team coach or asst mgr (assuming the new mgr was happy with this) if he does well in these games, but I really think we need to be looking for someone with the relevant experience and knowledge at this stage, rather than taking a pretty big gamble on a guy who could easily end up being the next Peter Grant...

I get that Indy Bones - but what relevant experience and knowledge? That would be Prem experience - but most fans on here are crying out for us to gamble on a foreign manager and cross-fingers that it works out. If Adams does really well, of which nothing yet says he necessarily will so it''s all theoretical - surely that''s less of a gamble than bringing in a foreign manager?

[quote user="hogesar"]but what relevant experience and knowledge?[/quote]The experience of managing a team in the top flight of a good league, along with the knowledge of how to get the best out of your players all the way from young inexperienced talent, up to the highest paid stars in the squad.[quote]most fans on here are crying out for us to gamble on a foreign manager and cross-fingers that it works out. If Adams does really well, of which nothing yet says he necessarily will so it''s all theoretical - surely that''s less of a gamble than bringing in a foreign manager?[/quote]What makes you think that it wouldn''t work?In the past 15-20 years we''ve seen a plethora of talented managers come into the league from abroad, and whilst there have been a few disasters, many have been excellent choices who''ve done a very good job, and when you consider how many of the current managers in the league do come from abroad, it really shouldn''t be seen as some crazy gamble in the way that it might have been 30-40 years ago etc.At the end of the day, ANY appointment is a gamble, no matter how well the guy may have done before or what experience he brings, but I''d rather take an ''educated'' gamble on a well proven foreign manager like Guidolin, than on a complete stab in the dark with an inexperienced coach such as Adams (and that''s not trying to be offensive to Neil either).

I called for Adams to rescue us a few weeks ago and am delighted with the appointment, I think he is the right man for us at this moment in time, I could not have asked for or preferred anyone else who who could have realistically come to help at this precise moment.

As for next season, out performance over the next five games is bound to have a bearing on this. Firstly will we stay up, and how did the team perform.

I think the decision for next season will be determined on results and performance. It''s not going to help Neil''s chances for next season if we get blown away by one of the big teams, or if we get thrashed by Fulham today. However if he can show a team able to adjust its style of play to the circumstances and the opposition, to show a level of tactical astuteness and not just a gun ho approach to every game, then I think he will stay with us.he is an intelligent man and will be aware of the challenge he faces. If come end of season he has kept us up and is offered the job, I don''t think he would take it unless he was confident he had the maturity to deliver. In any event as far as I am aware he IS now our manager full stop.

All we need from him now is a big adrenalin surge and a result, I for one am confident that Neil will be able to deliver a lot more than that and will not be a one hit wonder.

hogesar wrote the following post at 12/04/2014 10:15 AM:

Sorry Miggins but I don''t understand the embarrassing aspect you keep harping on about in this thread.

---------------------------

Like I said before, its not so much that we''ve replaced a manager with Neil Adams, its the fact that if he were to become manager that is embarrassing to me. I know it may not be to you lot, but its like having tony Pulis, Holloway or neil Warnock as manager- you (maybe not you, but I) instantly get that sinking feeling, However, if we win every game, I take it all back

[quote user="First Wazzock"]I''m interested to see what people think...[/quote]Well, old Bor reckons that''s how he keeps us up that should decide if he gets the job or not.Suppose he gets 5 games, 5 wins - would be daft not to keep him. If he gets 1 point from 5 games and we stay up because other clubs around us carry on tanking, then no thanks.Ultimately they sacked Houghton because they thought we should be doing better than a point per game, so Adams needs to show that''s what he can do.