Sign in to follow this  
BOO

Death by a thousand cuts

Lucky to get a draw today at home against a Swansea team that have nothing to play for.

First half was a continuation of the Wigan game, not surprising since apart from Bunn it was the same team, why do you reward the players that lost with an uninspiring performance last time out, the squad is big enough to be able to make a few changes to freshen things up, Tetty, Fox, Whittaker to name but a few.

Great period of play in the second half after we scored the goal, really looked like we could move up a gear, but too little and not enough confidence or ability to keep it going. Overall Swansea looked a far better side, we looked nothing more than a Championship outfit, which with one or two exceptions is what we are. We lack an inspirational manager who is unable to get our players to raise their game in the way they did last season and if we carry on playing like this we are in with a very good chance of going down.

[quote user="Vanwink"]. We lack an inspirational manager who is unable to get our players to raise their game in the way they did last season and if we carry on playing like this we are in with a very good chance of going down.[/quote]spot on

Amen. Full lack of ambition by our manager. It can, and just might come back to haunt us come May

When I saw your thread title Vanwink I thought the "death" you were referring to was the fate that befalls the poor sods on this board who have to read your never ending procession of negative posts.

You don''t have to read anything mate. Forget the negative and positive labels, it''s just an honest appraisal of what I saw, if I am wrong then say so!

So is it the fact we are a team full of championship players, or the lack of an inspirational manager that means we are five points away from the drop zone?

I agree it has been an appalling run of results of late, with some very insipid displays. But I think we will limp over the line more by default than by our own ability on the basis that Reading and QPR are pretty much already gone, and Sunderland are much worse than we are. That''s all that will keep us up though. Not any great managerial ability from Hughton who I sincerely hope is gone by August.

[quote user="Herman "]So is it the fact we are a team full of championship players, or the lack of an inspirational manager that means we are five points away from the drop zone?[/quote]Most of them are Championship players.

I don''t normally read your posts Vanwink but I had a moment of weakness on this occasion. Yes - we could go down - of course I can see that.

But the fact remains that we''ve been playing this season with one hand tied behind our backs, i.e. the fact that we''ve had no choice but to pay back £10 million of our debt.

With the possible exception of Reading every other squad in the division has been assembled at far greater expense than ours and so it shouldn''t surprise anyone to see us down in the bottom half - and of course as things stand at the moment we''ve actually gone up a place today.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Overall Swansea looked a far better side, we looked nothing more than a Championship outfit, which with one or two exceptions is what we are. We lack an inspirational manager who is unable to get our players to raise their game in the way they did last season and if we carry on playing like this we are in with a very good chance of going down.[/quote]If we''re a "Championship outfit with one or two exceptions", and are currently mid-table in the Premier League, your argument points to the manager getting more out of his players than you suggest.

It''s more about playing an uninspiring boring style of football aimed at scraping draws, good managers will get players performing at the best of their ability, with confidence.

Today we were flat, nervous, unsure and lucky!

"Che''s right hand man " "Herman "So is it the fact we are a team full of championship players, or the lack of an inspirational manager that means we are five points away from the drop zone?

Most of them are Championship players.

Precisely. Silk purse, sow''s ear and all that.

The thread title sums up perfectly how it feels to log onto the Pink Un message board after we fail to win.  My only complaint is that you missed the letter "n" out of the last word.

[quote user="Vanwink"]It''s more about playing an uninspiring boring style of football aimed at scraping draws, good managers will get players performing at the best of their ability, with confidence.

Today we were flat, nervous, unsure and lucky![/quote]spot on

Personally thought the team showed guts to get back into the game after a woeful 35mins. A decent display after that let down by some uncharacteristic errors in defence.

The fight from the players was certainly there though and gives signs we''ll had enough to get over the line.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The thread title sums up perfectly how it feels to log onto the Pink Un message board after we fail to win.  My only complaint is that you missed the letter "n" out of the last word.[/quote]

What does it feel like logging on after we have won?

Do you not agree rat fink that Lamberts over achieving players were starting to get found out and that the momentum was unlikely to continue this season no matter who was in charge?

Key areas needed addressing (defence) and have been, successfully in my opinion. Yes we''ve lacked creativity and goals but the brief is to stay up - and we''re still on track to do so.

You said we lacked ability to capitalise - an admission we''re a small team continuing to over achieve....like last season?

Spot on

Wevare in the main champs players, lamberts got the best out of them, hoots get a decent level out of them. Today was much better against a bloody good side.

We will stay up because we are gutsy and normally difficult to score against. Today we were poor at the back, but improved going forward and it reminded me in parts much more of our time under lambert.

[quote user="Paranoid Man in Cheap Sht Room"]Do you not agree rat fink that Lamberts over achieving players were starting to get found out and that the momentum was unlikely to continue this season no matter who was in charge?

Key areas needed addressing (defence) and have been, successfully in my opinion. Yes we''ve lacked creativity and goals but the brief is to stay up - and we''re still on track to do so.

You said we lacked ability to capitalise - an admission we''re a small team continuing to over achieve....like last season?[/quote]Starting to get found out? Some have short and selective memories. In the 2nd half of last season we got 25 points, drawing at Spurs and Arsenal, pushing United, beating Villa, Swansea away....We were not getting found out. FACT.The team needed tweaking .Bassong and Turner in the defence and Tettey and Snoddy to our already perfroming tactics would have been superb. Oh and a forward.We will always be a small team if you call us one. We have failed to beat QPR, WHU, Fulham, Southampon, a depleted Newcastle and now Swansea at home. All winnable games.Games people would and have targetted in our run in as wins. What makes you think we will beat Reading, Villa and West Brom? We are afterall.....a small team.

"Mister Chops"The thread title sums up perfectly how it feels to log onto the Pink Un message board after we fail to win.  My only complaint is that you missed the letter "n" out of the last word.

Me likey:-)

I wouldn''t normally bother replying to a post that includes a sentence that states an opinion followed by the word FACT, but I''m sure you thought it was helping your point....however...

You''re quite right some people have short, selective memories and while you reel off games we played very well in (and at no point did I say we didn''t) - we also had some woeful performances that I could reel off to you (Sunderland, Blackburn, Liverpool). Also including beating Villa in your argument....please.

Your other games mentioned need a little context: We certainly pushed Man Utd - however we beat them this season. Swansea were a promoted side like us and Lambert had his tactics spot on however we''ve also beaten them this season away. Drawing at arsenal was a fantastic result however we''ve beaten them this season. Finally we actually beat Spurs away. FACT. Beating those teams this season hasn''t been reliant on momentum, but on hard work and a game plan. A lot hasn''t been pretty this season but we have had success - and it''s still a working progress.

It''s the few games I mentioned that I feel were the indication that the momentum and adrenaline of playing in the PL was starting to wane. We were struggling to get ourselves up for the smaller games and enjoyed the ''underdog'' tag of performing against the bigger sides. Ironically we seemed to revel in being the ''little ol Norwich'' that you seemed to take such offence to.

None of us will ever know how Lambert would''ve done with us this season but the bottom line for me is that we still have an over achieving squad that is so far fulfilling the criteria set at the start of the season. I''m prepared to give Hughton time to show me that we can improve in all areas of the pitch, and am pleased with the work done on the defence.

Yes we''ve failed to beat a lot of poor sides but you can say that of any season including last year so not sure what the argument is there, and also at no point have I said we are a small club....FACT.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Vanwink"]Overall Swansea looked a far better side, we looked nothing more than a Championship outfit, which with one or two exceptions is what we are. We lack an inspirational manager who is unable to get our players to raise their game in the way they did last season and if we carry on playing like this we are in with a very good chance of going down.[/quote]If we''re a "Championship outfit with one or two exceptions", and are currently mid-table in the Premier League, your argument points to the manager getting more out of his players than you suggest.[/quote]

Spot on!

It really was as bad as the Wigan game. The most exciting part for me was going to the top of the barclay in the Service Life. It was so overcrowed with 11 people that it might not get off the ground. It was better coming back as there were only four in it and the steward, who operates the lift, had gone for the day. Must have been so bored with the game.What I find so strange is that Delia and her pals go to these games, both home and away, and don''t say anything in the Press. They must surely say some thing in the privacy of her lift. Oh yes Delia has her own lift that she does not have to share with the pots and pans but then why not? Bet David Cameron has his own lift in No.10 too! What am I talking about you may ask? Well we are all pretty sick people who use the Service Lift at Carrow. Sick physically so life is doubly bad when we have to watch the dross on the pitch. What awfully passing! You would have thought that after all that training the boys could pass the ball acurately. I do remember a former Chairman once saying " Some of the players are not very good". It would seem a few years on that nothing has changed very much.

It''s not death nor a thousand cuts. It''s simply a football team which have been using ineffective tactics coupled with a lack of striking options. The result is we lack confidence, belief, variety and options.

We set up away from home with a plan of going for the 0-0. If the opposition score it''s game over. This strategy has bought us only one win away all season. This is also why we won''t beat Stoke. Last week at Wigan was painful.

Things are worse at home. We could and should have been beaten Newcastle. Win that match and we''d be comfortably mid-table by now. As it is we have a manager unwilling or unable to change tactics - with only one winnable home match remaining on paper. As was discussed recently in another thread if we go down will we deserve too. Obviously ''yes'' as we will have finished in the bottom three.

All so sad but predictable and, above all, avoidable. The situation was salvageable at Christmas. Now effectively we''re down to one winnable match. Quite clearly the board will need to reflect hard on how both the Summer and January windows were handled - as was widely discussed it was obvious from Christmas last year we needed more quality up front - and also if the current team is the right one to take us forward regardless of the league we''re in.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Lucky to get a draw today at home against a Swansea team that have nothing to play for.

First half was a continuation of the Wigan game, not surprising since apart from Bunn it was the same team, why do you reward the players that lost with an uninspiring performance last time out, the squad is big enough to be able to make a few changes to freshen things up, Tetty, Fox, Whittaker to name but a few.

Great period of play in the second half after we scored the goal, really looked like we could move up a gear, but too little and not enough confidence or ability to keep it going. Overall Swansea looked a far better side, we looked nothing more than a Championship outfit, which with one or two exceptions is what we are. We lack an inspirational manager who is unable to get our players to raise their game in the way they did last season and if we carry on playing like this we are in with a very good chance of going down.[/quote]

Do you really think Fox and Whittaker a fit enough to play as there is minimal reserve team football and they haven''t played in the first team for weeks/months?

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="Mister Chops"]The thread title sums up perfectly how it feels to log onto the Pink Un message board after we fail to win.  My only complaint is that you missed the letter "n" out of the last word.[/quote]

What does it feel like logging on after we have won?[/quote]I can''t remember.