Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Bone - Superstar

Butterfield

On the way back to fitness still I guess. Hasn''t set the world alight. As far as I can see, not a Hughton signing either, so may well have to do a fair bit to squeeze his way into Chris''s plans!

Never going to make the grade. Part of the deadwood to be shifted in January along with Surmam, Howson and co. He''s not the new Wes, that''s for sure. He could be the new Jason Jarrett.

Get him back in early January match fit and hopefully he will surprise a few. It''ll be like having a new player.

It will be like having a new weak ineffective player. There is a reason he''s getting very little game time in the Championship and its got nothing to do with fitness. In short, he''s useless.

Yes Mungo, that''s why he was captain and beat player at where ever he came from. Rated higher than many of our signings before Hughton started buying experience.

And that''s why people were saying he''s the new Gazza, because he''s useless.

would anyone want to be compared to gazza?I''d weep if someone said i was the next over weight, alcoholic, depressed geordie...

Worth keeping. If/when hoolahan gets injured I think we''l be greatful we have Butterfield. Its unfortunate for him that he can''t make any sort of impact right now.

My cousins are Barnsley season ticket holders, and they Facebooked me to say what a great signing he would be, and that they were gutted to be losing their Captain, and a player who was fantastice for them prior to getting injured.Seems that since his injury he may have struggled to find consistent form, but who knows maybe with the benefit of a full pre season at Norwich in 2013/14 we may find him a different player, and something more like we expected!

remember the Tango adverts? our players don''t get Tangoed, they get Mungoed. what a negative pillock this cretin is. only posts to get a reaction and i realise as i write this that i have fallen for it. i just get so peed off reading anything from his pencil.

good young player that will without doubt get some first team football here, in the new year. great little player slowly getting back to full fitness

Very technically gifted, you will see this eventually he is a genuine two footed player, coming back from a horrendous injury that could take 3 months to build full fitness back. Could be a top player for us.

His injury occurred last New Years Eve. He signed for us in July. All this "recovering from injury/building up match fitness" is wearing rather thin. If he isn''t fit by now, given the medical support of a Premiership football club, why not? Lack of "fitness" is a red herring, lack of ability is much closer to the mark. Players signed from the lower leagues sometimes don''t work out simply because the player can''t make the required step up. Butterfield is one.

Mungo

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

His injury occurred last New Years Eve. He signed for us in July. All this "recovering from injury/building up match fitness" is wearing rather thin. If he isn''t fit by now, given the medical support of a Premiership football club, why not? Lack of "fitness" is a red herring, lack of ability is much closer to the mark. Players signed from the lower leagues sometimes don''t work out simply because the player can''t make the required step up. Butterfield is one.

Mungo

[/quote]

Mungo, he was still recovering from the injury when we signed him, he wasnt fit to play when he played him in the cup, hence he became injured again, whether that be a reoccurance of the old injury or a dependance injury. But still was still recovering! he still is recovering, look at Jack Wilshere! How long was he out?(clue:longer than Butterfield) He''s still not back to his best - because he needs time. When the injury is fully healed (which it seems to be (Yn)) a run of matches are then essential to gain match fitness - again something that doesnt come straight away.

It may be a lesser league hes been loaned to, but however after the month Bolton still wanted to keep him - cant be doing that badly then can he?

I have every confidence he will come good, I believe in every NCFC player, Chrissy has proven he can get the best out of players.

Butterfield definitely has ability. Before his injury happened the performances he was churning out for Barnsley were of such a good standard that a serious offer from Newcastle was imminent. Given the strength of Newcastle''s scouting department (particularly Graham Carr) that is a serious compliment.

When you get an injury of this magnitude it takes a long time to get over it. It isn''t just a case of waiting 6 months and then trotting out to play again. You are effectively 6 months behind your fellow professionals in terms of the fitness you would acquire through everyday training and matches.

There are also some major mental barriers to overcome. After such a serious injury you are naturally going to be nervous about heavy contact and more innocuous things such as twisting and turning quickly. This won''t happen overnight for him. He needs a decent run of games to build fitness, form and confidence. So it is great that he is doing that at Bolton.

I understand why some are sceptical. You never know whether someone will get back to the level they were at before a cruciate knee injury. But Butterfield is here for 4 years. He is a long term investment. We can afford to be patient with him rather than writing him off.

CH described him as "one for now" rather than one for the future, when asked, and that''s good enough for me. He was MotM for Bolton against Blackburn, then picked up an injury. How people on here can make assumptions about a new player they''ve hardly seen is totally beyond me. He''s a great prospect and will do well for the club.