Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Forest sack boss

An ambitious manager with Premiership experience. Hughes would be the obvious one. Glenn Hoddle or Bryan Robson for a laugh. Maybe even Billy Davies again :-P

Hughes, Di Mateo as a very unlikely but available candidate and the usual names such as Curbishley etc. all being mentioned amongst Forest fans I know tonight.

Although, in fairness, almost every single one has said they would have been far more happy with O''Driscoll still in charge.

Apparently they are in talks with a current premier league manager. That concerns me slightly

[quote user="Dave"]Apparently they are in talks with a current premier league manager. That concerns me slightly[/quote]

Didn''t know you were a Villa fan Dave. [:P]

They only said premier league experience in their club statement, Dave. Hughton won''t go. Doesn''t strike me as the sort to go chasing possibly slightly more money at the expense of lower league football. Nor does it seem likely that they would have sacked a manager who had lead them to 8th and one point off the playoffs just for Hughton - good manager, yes, but not exactly an exciting one who is head and shoulders above what they already had (however well he is doing here).

Lambert crossed my mind - before Villa pushed him - but surely even he wouldn''t jump ship at Villa at the moment? And I can''t see any other premier league manager leaving their club through choice at the moment. More likely to be someone out of work at the moment.

Now henning berg has been sacked from Blackburn!

I really think this is a disgrace. What do these championship owners expect all so quickly. They are the ones need sacking!

The incompetence and folly of so many club owners far outweighs those which they might have of their managers and, crucially, their appointments.

Venky''s are not even embarassing now. They''ve surpassed that.

In fairness, Berg had no credentials in England, and has one won in 10 games since being there, and they''re in 17th. They took a pretty big gamble bringing someone in like Berg with no experience in England, it has backfired, they''ve acted quickly and got rid. I don''t think they''re to much in the wrong this time. Contrast with Forest who are a point off the playoffs and beat Leeds 4-2 yesterday, then sack the manager!

The Venkys just appoint poor people to start with,   Berg felt like their Gunn appointment.

The forest decision is madness though.

I think this is what happens when you sell your soul out to foreign investors. I''m so glad we have the owners we do. Mcleish red hot favourite for Forest job now.

I thought Cardiffs owners changing their kit from blue to red was the most bizarre of the season but yesterday Forest sacking O''Driscoll was probably even more spectacular. And these people pass fit and proper persons tests.

All these fans of these clubs were delighted when these owners were taking them over Blackburn, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Forest etc - but I wonder if they''d swap their fantasy football clubs for the way they were run pre takeovers.

This should be the line in the sand for people who had any doubt about wanting Norwich City Football Club to be a victim of one of these takeovers.

[quote user="Aggy"]They only said premier league experience in their club statement, Dave. Hughton won''t go. Doesn''t strike me as the sort to go chasing possibly slightly more money at the expense of lower league football. Nor does it seem likely that they would have sacked a manager who had lead them to 8th and one point off the playoffs just for Hughton - good manager, yes, but not exactly an exciting one who is head and shoulders above what they already had (however well he is doing here).

Lambert crossed my mind - before Villa pushed him - but surely even he wouldn''t jump ship at Villa at the moment? And I can''t see any other premier league manager leaving their club through choice at the moment. More likely to be someone out of work at the moment.[/quote]

Apparently the chairman tweeted ''premier league manager'' though I guess he could mean anyone who has ever managed there it certainly sounded like a current one.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I think this is what happens when you sell your soul out to foreign investors. I''m so glad we have the owners we do. Mcleish red hot favourite for Forest job now.

I thought Cardiffs owners changing their kit from blue to red was the most bizarre of the season but yesterday Forest sacking O''Driscoll was probably even more spectacular. And these people pass fit and proper persons tests.

All these fans of these clubs were delighted when these owners were taking them over Blackburn, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Forest etc - but I wonder if they''d swap their fantasy football clubs for the way they were run pre takeovers.

This should be the line in the sand for people who had any doubt about wanting Norwich City Football Club to be a victim of one of these takeovers.[/quote]Not so long back people were screaming "Delia out" and telling anyone

who would listen "Anyone would be better than what we have".....This, from a Portsmouth fan......"January is approaching fast and for us Portsmouth fans, there isn’t

much to shout about at the moment. In previous seasons the January

transfer window has meant new faces and building on what we have. Now it

is a case of keeping hold of whatever we can. Almost all of the squad’s

contracts or loan deals are coming to an end and nobody really knows

what to expect.

There have been rumours that some of our youngsters have been

attracting interest from other clubs and in the position we are in,

every little helps. It could be 20 out 20 in for all we know. As every

football fan knows, getting a team to gel is one hell of a task, having

to do this twice in one season is unheard of.

At this moment in time, Pompey lie in 21st position in

league one (still with a 10 point deduction to be taken) and relegation

seems more than likely. However, I for one do not really care what

league we are in, all I care about is getting out club out of this mess.

Everyone is aware of the trouble Portsmouth Football Club is in, but I

don’t think people realise how hard it is to be a fan. We have had

great times in recent years, UEFA Cup, FA Cup triumph and respectable

Premier League positions. But now I sit back and think, was it all worth

it? I am certain we will never see those days again. I am certain the

only way I will go to Wembley again is in the Johnston’s Paint Trophy.

No manager, No owner and if this isn’t sorted soon, No future."

I love Portsmouth Football Club and it is breaking my heart to see

the state we are currently in. As I have said before, it’s time for the

fans to take over to give Pompey a fresh start. Be that in League One or

the Conference South, the Fratton Faithful will always be there."

Norwich City''s world  could have looked completely different today if those people had got their way.

I reckon Berg''s sacking was precipitated by events at Forest. Venkys probably had Keane in mind should things not pick up over the next few games. With Forest sniffing around the sour faced one, they probably thought oo-er we need to move here. I fancy Keane''s agent will be having fun at this very moment, playing one off against the other.

And that''s the issue. Over time the PL will become populated by clubs with rich owners Cardiff, Leicester, Leeds to name but three.

At the same time existing PL clubs with rich owners will typically be able to buy safely. If not they will be in a better position to buy promotion.

That is until the owners get bored or run out of money.

However, I can''t see city being able to compete in this new world. So when relegation comes this year on next, we will be able to debate the efficacy of McNally''s mutual ownership strategy.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]So when relegation comes this year on next, we will be able to debate the efficacy of McNally''s mutual ownership strategy.[/quote]You are Cluck and I claim my £5. [:S]

QPR? Blackburn? If there''s one thing recent history tells us, it''s that rich owners cannot count on buying Premiership status or safety. Why is this a ''new world''?

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]

I think this is what happens when you sell your soul out to foreign investors. I''m so glad we have the owners we do. Mcleish red hot favourite for Forest job now. I thought Cardiffs owners changing their kit from blue to red was the most bizarre of the season but yesterday Forest sacking O''Driscoll was probably even more spectacular. And these people pass fit and proper persons tests. All these fans of these clubs were delighted when these owners were taking them over Blackburn, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Forest etc - but I wonder if they''d swap their fantasy football clubs for the way they were run pre takeovers. This should be the line in the sand for people who had any doubt about wanting Norwich City Football Club to be a victim of one of these takeovers.[/quote]

I am not going to defend the Blackburn owners, given their consistent track record of jaw-dropping incompetence. I don''t know whether the Forest owners are as appalling. There may be behind the scenes stuff that makes their decision more explicable. But not all foreign owners are bad. Lerner at Villa and Berylson at Millwall seem sane and sensible. And the hard fact is that sooner or later we will have new owners, unless the McNally guff about the club being a mutual actually happens and we go down the German route of fan/community power.

And if we stay up for a while there could well be interest from overseas. That other bit of guff from the marketing firm we have hired about "There are few global properties hotter these days than Barclays Premier League football clubs." applies to ownership as well as to promoting an image.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Highland Canary"]So when relegation comes this year on next, we will be able to debate the efficacy of McNally''s mutual ownership strategy.[/quote]

You are Cluck and I claim my £5. [:S]
[/quote]

Highland Canary is slipping, "this year on (sic) next...." is that a hint of a possibility that we will stay up?

Are you sure he is Cluck, Lapp? I reckon that C could be the right initial...

I have no idea who Cluck is but I am willing to concede in my more optimistic moments that, assuming we add to our forwards, we may stay up. Having said this I thought we''d get a point against West Brom and look how that ended.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]And that''s the issue. Over time the PL will become populated by clubs with rich owners Cardiff, Leicester, Leeds to name but three. At the same time existing PL clubs with rich owners will typically be able to buy safely. If not they will be in a better position to buy promotion. That is until the owners get bored or run out of money. However, I can''t see city being able to compete in this new world. So when relegation comes this year on next, we will be able to debate the efficacy of McNally''s mutual ownership strategy.[/quote]

City will compete though, purely because throwing money at a problem is not always the answer. Just look at QPR. I don''t want us wasting money and no matter how much you spend only one club can win the Prem title. Commonsense will reign eventually.