Sign in to follow this  
courtyboy02

Similarities to 94/95 season

I would not consider myself to be a 94/95 scaremonger. I''ve no wish to compare the respective policies of Chase vs Smith. I also accept that the club is much more stable than in the 1990s.

However, in my view there are three issues of relevance (1) as part of our collective history we should accept that collapses in playing performance can occur (2) that we are seemingly unable to compete in the transfer market with our competitor clubs so much like in 1994/95 the relative quality of our squad may well decline cf QPR, Reading, Soton etc even if we do invest (3) just a feeling that we''ve had our luck and our run - it''s others turn now.

I think QPR will buy themselves out of it. For me it''s three of reading, Soton, Wigan and us for the drop.

nutty nigel:

If you can find similarities between Big Fat Bob''s devastation and Delia & MWJ''s policy of improving the squad in every transfer window .....

------------------------------

Tangible:

This is an interesting interpretation of squad improvement. Our finishing positions each season in the Championship following the relegation from the Premiership in 2005 were:

05 - 06    9th.

06 - 07    16th.

07 - 08    17th.

08 - 09    22nd.

Unless you are reading the table while standing on your head the on pitch performance would not support the suggestion that the playing squad was improved in every transfer window. Of course I am assuming that by improvement you are referring to what actually happens on the pitch.

----------------------------

Hey Nutty, may be  you shouldnt have stated the policy of  improving the playing squad  in EVERY transfer window.

I suppose the teflon coated brothers grim will once again get away with de-railing a thread in their crusade against the club''s owners. Perhaps you''d both like to address this point : -

Chase sold Fox, Sutton, Robins and Ekoku from the side that had got us to Europe. Each replacement was a marked downgrade. He replaced Mike Walker with an untried manager subsequently only good enough to be Gunny''s number two. When he departed he replaced him with another with no managerial experience. The team that played Villa on the last day was : -

Marshall, Bradshaw, Bowen, Newsome, Polston, Goss, Crook, Ullathorne, Ward, Sutch, Sheron.

If you can find similarities between Big Fat Bob''s devastation and Delia & MWJ''s policy of improving the squad in every transfer window and replacing Lambert with a "best in class" manager then you maybe have a point. Otherwise it''s just scaremo0ngering for whatever purpose is floating your boats.

We were relegated because BFB turned a silk purse into a sow''s ear. In other words we were sh it

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I would not consider myself to be a 94/95 scaremonger. I''ve no wish to compare the respective policies of Chase vs Smith. I also accept that the club is much more stable than in the 1990s. However, in my view there are three issues of relevance (1) as part of our collective history we should accept that collapses in playing performance can occur (2) that we are seemingly unable to compete in the transfer market with our competitor clubs so much like in 1994/95 the relative quality of our squad may well decline cf QPR, Reading, Soton etc even if we do invest (3) just a feeling that we''ve had our luck and our run - it''s others turn now. I think QPR will buy themselves out of it. For me it''s three of reading, Soton, Wigan and us for the drop.[/quote]

Not in 94/95. We were only as good as where we finished. Look at the team that played Villa. Were they good enough to do anything but get relegated?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I suppose the teflon coated brothers grim will once again get away with de-railing a thread in their crusade against the club''s owners. Perhaps you''d both like to address this point : -

Chase sold Fox, Sutton, Robins and Ekoku from the side that had got us to Europe. Each replacement was a marked downgrade. He replaced Mike Walker with an untried manager subsequently only good enough to be Gunny''s number two. When he departed he replaced him with another with no managerial experience. The team that played Villa on the last day was : -

Marshall, Bradshaw, Bowen, Newsome, Polston, Goss, Crook, Ullathorne, Ward, Sutch, Sheron.

If you can find similarities between Big Fat Bob''s devastation and Delia & MWJ''s policy of improving the squad in every transfer window and replacing Lambert with a "best in class" manager then you maybe have a point. Otherwise it''s just scaremo0ngering for whatever purpose is floating your boats.

We were relegated because BFB turned a silk purse into a sow''s ear. In other words we were sh it

[/quote]

I haven''t done any scaremonging however I do think we need some quality strikers (if we have sufficient money to buy the quality) and another defensive central midfield player.

Nutty, do you think it was a quality team that got NCFC. relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in fifty years?

Many similarities to 94/5

A thin squad in terms of quality players

Record signing centre back our best player Newsome... Bassong

A hard working but non scoring leader of the attack Ashley Ward...Holt

Defensive minded manager with little flexibility Deehan..Hughton

Over reliance on one creative midfielder Crook..Hoolahan

A few hard fought wins and draws in Nov Dec giving false security

Goalkeeper out long term with much inferior replacements

Luck turning against us at crucial moments esp away from home..West Ham, Spurs Leicester and Leeds away in 94/5

I recall using up half a seasons luck in 94/5 with a Jan 1st win over Newcastle in A Marshall''s first full game which left us 6th  into the New Year

And then we took 10 points from the last 20 matches

Hopefully the uncanny similarities will not be continued into 2013

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

What was that you posted on another thread about being entitled to your opinion? Clearly not a philosophy you believe should apply to all.

Another point, how does my post comparing football finances in 94/95 with today derail this thread that you, yourself is all about comparing 94/95 with today?

Perhaps being able to maintain a consistent argument is beyond your capabilities?

My argument has been consistent throughout this thread and it has remained on topic. You and your bro have continually taken it off topic bringing up Chase''s other seasons and our relegation season in 2009. You both refuse to address the topic of the thread for whatever reason. If I wasn''t interested in it I''d not bother to post.  Your capabilities appear to be extremely limited and certainly taking part in this thread is beyond you.

[quote user="pat51"]

Many similarities to 94/5

A thin squad in terms of quality players

Record signing centre back our best player Newsome... Bassong

A hard working but non scoring leader of the attack Ashley Ward...Holt

Defensive minded manager with little flexibility Deehan..Hughton

Over reliance on one creative midfielder Crook..Hoolahan

A few hard fought wins and draws in Nov Dec giving false security

Goalkeeper out long term with much inferior replacements

Luck turning against us at crucial moments esp away from home..West Ham, Spurs Leicester and Leeds away in 94/5

I recall using up half a seasons luck in 94/5 with a Jan 1st win over Newcastle in A Marshall''s first full game which left us 6th  into the New Year

And then we took 10 points from the last 20 matches

Hopefully the uncanny similarities will not be continued into 2013

[/quote]

Our current squad is the strongest and contains more quality players than any other in my memory.

Robert Snodgrass is our best player.

Ashley Ward was a new player who had no experience playing with the squad. Grant Holt is very much a team player with a great understanding with the others.

Deehan was a cheap option with no experience. Hughton is an experienced manager who came at a price.

We do not over rely on Hoolahan anymore than we did Crook.

How is the security false?

We have three replacements with first team experience and maybe more to come. Who were Gunn''s replacements?

Luck goes for and against us every season. You notice it more when you''re losing.

We haven''t yet played the second half of the season so how is that a similarity?

My post was about comparing football finances then and now which what this thread is about. I only mentioned Chase to highlight that his reign was not all bad news as you, yourself had brought Chase into the argument. Tangie''s post was merely to point out the inaccuracy of your comment that The squad had been improved every transfer window under Delia''s tenure. These are facts which you might not find palatable however that doesn''t undermine them. Such a shame that you cannot maintain a consistent argument nor accept another''s point of view when it differs from your own inaccurate statements.

What is your view on the similarities between Chase''s remnants in 1995 and Delia''s continually strengthened squad of 2013? Come on Crafty, a man of your vast intelligence and considerable wherewithall must be able to form an opinion and progress the thread. Surely much better than continually trying to start up ridiculous arguments about other seasons?

[quote user="baldyboy"]Tilly you say we wont be selling any players , more to the point will we be Signing any as the last few games have highlighted just how weak our squad really is? If we want to make sure we stay up we need to improve the squad very quickly![/quote]
Alternatively, the last 20/21 games have highlighted just how weak the squads of the 8 teams below us are in comparison to ours. 
The recent run of losses has consisted of two away losses (one of which was to a then top 6 side) and two home losses to Man City and Chelsea. Whilst it''s a less than pleasing run, it is hardly time for panic stations. If we had lost 4 home games to the likes of Villa, Southampton, QPR and Wigan, I would possibly start to be worried about the squads'' quality. 

Similarities to 94/95 had also occurred to me but I don''t feel worried. There are a number of reasons for this, of which many have already stated, but one which has been omitted is the McNally factor. This guy is a strong CEO and him and Bowkett are determined that we stay up. If they feel we need to strengthen then we''ll strengthen. With a good base they won''t want to throw this away. Hughton has already brought in some excellent new signings and I have full confidence that he will do so again before month end. It''s pretty obvious we need new striking options, I''d be surprised if nothing happens in that regard but even so we have scored enough to get us a healthy points total already and scored 3 against Man City and 4 against Swansea. The slump in points is not necessarily a slump in form, we were unlucky against WHam and WBA, both quite tough away games, and we lost only narrowly and held our own against the League Champions and European Champions who had just hit Villa for 8. So let''s not sound any panic alarms and create a crisis where I don''t think anything of teh sort actually exists. Remember there''s a precedent for almost anything if you look back far enough but those precedents are of historical interest only.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Similarities to 94/95 had also occurred to me but I don''t feel worried. There are a number of reasons for this, of which many have already stated, but one which has been omitted is the McNally factor. This guy is a strong CEO and him and Bowkett are determined that we stay up. If they feel we need to strengthen then we''ll strengthen. With a good base they won''t want to throw this away. Hughton has already brought in some excellent new signings and I have full confidence that he will do so again before month end. It''s pretty obvious we need new striking options, I''d be surprised if nothing happens in that regard but even so we have scored enough to get us a healthy points total already and scored 3 against Man City and 4 against Swansea. The slump in points is not necessarily a slump in form, we were unlucky against WHam and WBA, both quite tough away games, and we lost only narrowly and held our own against the League Champions and European Champions who had just hit Villa for 8. So let''s not sound any panic alarms and create a crisis where I don''t think anything of teh sort actually exists. Remember there''s a precedent for almost anything if you look back far enough but those precedents are of historical interest only.

[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]

Glad to hear they''ve decided to contribute several million pounds of their own money to pay for all this strengthening...[;)][:D][:O]

The only similarities with 94/95 are that we have had a good start to the year.     The only concern is that while many fans feel we are already safe from relegation some are more cautious and can remember a calamatous season where we did end up relegated following an injury to a keeper.

As many have pointed out the club situation is vastly different now and the doomsday scenario is unlikely to happen.     However there was an assumption that season that we were safe - IMO,  our only risk to being relegated this season is a repeat of that complacency.

I really do not feel that the management team we now have will allow any complacency.

Do you really think complacency was ''allowed'' in 94/95? Complacency is a state of mind that cannot be allowed/disallowed. It also disppears quite quickly when you lose afew and the bottom group hove back into view.

Without wishing to get the usual suspects back on board this thread that 94/95 season was when the old NCISA was in its infancy and following concerns raised by literally hundredes of fans who had joined, Roy Blower as chairman,Mike Lloyd as secretary and myself as treasurer had a meeting with Big fat Bob at Carrow Road who for whatever reason saw fit to also have present the NCFC solicitor Trevor Nicholls where we were dismissed as pessimists and scaremongers.I think one win in the final seven games proved who sadly was right. All Chase wanted to discuss was his achievements and was completely blinkered to the fact that whilst Colney had been built under his reign and the wonderful time we had recently had in europe we were in sharp decline as a squad capable of stopping the rot.

I do recall some complacency (whether allowed or not),   unlike now we had the opportunity to loan in or buy players to strengthen the squad but chose not to and there was a feeling that it was simply not going to happen to us as we were too good.

Our victory against Ipswich was the only league win from about 20 league games from Jan 1st and was probably the worst result,  as it masked how badly things were slipping.  We only scored 4 goals in the next 8 games where we picked up just 1 point, and that after we were already relegated.

As I said the focus to get to 40 points quickly will be here this season,  and I do not expect such a dramatic slide. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The only similarities with 94/95 are that we have had a good start to the year.     The only concern is that while many fans feel we are already safe from relegation some are more cautious and can remember a calamatous season where we did end up relegated following an injury to a keeper.

As many have pointed out the club situation is vastly different now and the doomsday scenario is unlikely to happen.     However there was an assumption that season that we were safe - IMO,  our only risk to being relegated this season is a repeat of that complacency.

I really do not feel that the management team we now have will allow any complacency.

[/quote]

Was it an assumption or just a hope? Chase was hardly going to admit it, but he may well have been much more pessimistic in private. And what was he going to be able to do about the situation? Change managers? He did that! The other course of action was to spend money, but what if there wasn''t any? Don''t forget that only a year afterwards we had to fire-sell two players to stay afloat financially. For whatever reason, and this can be argued over until we''re all purple in the face, the money fans thought was there had gone.

As for now, I don''t believe there will be boardroom or managerial complacency, but the bottom line is that the best way to ensure safety is to spend money to improve the squad, and that raises the question of how much money there is available for that.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Was it an assumption or just a hope? Chase was hardly going to admit it, but he may well have been much more pessimistic in private. And what was he going to be able to do about the situation? Change managers? He did that! The other course of action was to spend money, but what if there wasn''t any? Don''t forget that only a year afterwards we had to fire-sell two players to stay afloat financially. For whatever reason, and this can be argued over until we''re all purple in the face, the money fans thought was there had gone.

As for now, I don''t believe there will be boardroom or managerial complacency, but the bottom line is that the best way to ensure safety is to spend money to improve the squad, and that raises the question of how much money there is available for that.

[/quote]

January 1995 saw Mark Robins sold to Leicester the same week as Efan Ekoku scored the winner for Wimbledon at Carrow Road, his 5th goal since BFB sold him. I certainly wasn''t complacent. Was anyone else?

Poor old Bob, he gets a bit of a bad deal doesn''t he?

I think that it''s important to remember that:

"There is nobody at this club with more ambition than me."

Nobody.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

January 1995 saw Mark Robins sold to Leicester the same week as Efan Ekoku scored the winner for Wimbledon at Carrow Road, his 5th goal since BFB sold him. I certainly wasn''t complacent. Was anyone else?

[/quote]

Yes, nutty, but was that sale of Robins motivated by complacency or driven by financial necessity? I don''t know the answer, but the history of the fag end of the Chase era suggests the latter.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, nutty, but was that sale of Robins motivated by complacency or driven by financial necessity? I don''t know the answer, but the history of the fag end of the Chase era suggests the latter.

[/quote]

Of course it was financial neccessity. As was the total downgrade of the squad into one not even good enough for the the league below. As was the appointment of Deehan. And then Megson. This is my whole point. We now have a "best in class" manager and are continually improving the squad.

I''m not complacent. Neither am I saying we won''t go down. All I''m saying is there''s no similarities between this season and BFB''s devastation and relegation in 1995.

Why are the usual suspects on here being allowed to get away with calling Robert Chase, NCFC chairman during our golden era, Big Fat Bob or BFB?

I wonder if anyone will answer............

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Why are the usual suspects on here being allowed to get away with calling Robert Chase, NCFC chairman during our golden era, Big Fat Bob or BFB? I wonder if anyone will answer............[/quote]I didn''t hear you complain when Delia Smith was being called "the cook" the witch" or worse still De- liar.

Or when Holt was being called ''fat'' or when Morison was being called ''lazy'' or when a retired member of the Police was being called ''plod''.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Why are the usual suspects on here being allowed to get away with calling Robert Chase, NCFC chairman during our golden era, Big Fat Bob or BFB?

I wonder if anyone will answer............

OTBC

[/quote]Yes, I will.He was certainly big, he was certainly fat and his name was Robert.Simple really Bly.