Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

FAO David McNally - Wilfried Bony

I agree Ricardo. And someone in a previous post summised, even if we had Messi or Suarez up front, they''d struggle to score with the service.And to reply to Tom, Hoops has started 9 and scored 5 (or 10 & 6 if you include Capital One Cup), so as I said before, most of us norwich fans are happy enough with his return, who cost significantly less than Bony 

o--------------ricardo---------o

If we had wingers who lifted their heads before aimlessly crossing or cutting in to shoot wildly over the bar we get the same result.

o----------------o---------------o

Well indeed, you won''t get many decent crosses in from behind the defenders with one footed footballers playing on the other side of the park. If that is the way you plan to fashion chances for your forwards.

[quote user="Samwam27"]I agree Ricardo. And someone in a previous post summised, even if we had Messi or Suarez up front, they''d struggle to score with the service.And to reply to Tom, Hoops has started 9 and scored 5 (or 10 & 6 if you include Capital One Cup), so as I said before, most of us norwich fans are happy enough with his return, who cost significantly less than Bony [/quote]The only decent cross all afternoon came from Martin Olsson and RVW would have converted had Stockdale not produced the save of the match.We love Redmond for his speed and trickery but he has yet to produce a telling cross from either flank.

Citizen Journalist Foghorn wrote the following post at 05/01/2014 8:01 PM:

............ Well indeed, you won''t get many decent crosses in from behind the defenders with one footed footballers playing on the other side of the park. If that is the way you plan to fashion chances for your forwards.

Many years ago it was pointed out to me that if a winger tries to get to the line and tries to cross and it gets blocked at least you get a corner most times.

If he cuts back and tries the cross which gets blocked you are susceptible to a counter attack as other players may have committed themselves to the attack and will not be in the best place to defend the said counter attack.

My word how football must have progressed and I missed it!

[quote user="Samwam27"]And to reply to Tom, Hoops has started 9 and scored 5 (or 10 & 6 if you include Capital One Cup), so as I said before, most of us norwich fans are happy enough with his return, who cost significantly less than Bony[/quote]Or even started 12 (+3 sub) with 5 goals in the league, or 13 (+4 sub) with 7 goals if you include the cups.  An excellent start to his time here and at a bargain price.

Actually Ricky Redmond has produced some quality crosses from the left when he has gone on the outside and crossed across goal with his left. Unfortunately because it is rare the strikers or supporting midfielders don''t gamble and get inside the 6 yard box.

I agree the quality needs to improve but our wingers need to start playing like wingers and feed the strikers first before cutting in and seeking the glory for themselves!

snake-eyes wrote the following post at 05/01/2014 8:14 PM:

............. I agree the quality needs to improve but our wingers need to start playing like wingers and feed the strikers first before cutting in and seeking the glory for themselves!

During an interview on on Radio Norfolk last night Josh Murphy revealed that he is encouraged to come inside and shoot. I bet he got a rollicking for going on the outside and crossing yesterday when we scored!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Many years ago it was pointed out to me that if a winger tries to get to the line and tries to cross and it gets blocked at least you get a corner most times.

If he cuts back and tries the cross which gets blocked you are susceptible to a counter attack as other players may have committed themselves to the attack and will not be in the best place to defend the said counter attack.

My word how football must have progressed and I missed it![/quote]I think the point is, by cutting inside you will create chances via passing through the middle. With full backs still offering more old school width.  The problem is, all too often Redmond resorts to cutting inside and blasting it, and Snod cuts inside and crosses left footed from in front of the defenders, which is much easier to defend and more difficult to score from.The player we really miss is Pilkington, who actually makes up numbers in box and chips in with regular goals.  He is also genuinely two footed so can put in dangerous crosses from the left.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]snake-eyes wrote the following post at 05/01/2014 8:14 PM:

............. I agree the quality needs to improve but our wingers need to start playing like wingers and feed the strikers first before cutting in and seeking the glory for themselves!

During an interview on on Radio Norfolk last night Josh Murphy revealed that he is encouraged to come inside and shoot. I bet he got a rollicking for going on the outside and crossing yesterday when we scored![/quote]

lol!

[quote user="snake-eyes"]Actually Ricky Redmond has produced some quality crosses from the left when he has gone on the outside and crossed across goal with his left. Unfortunately because it is rare the strikers or supporting midfielders don''t gamble and get inside the 6 yard box.

I agree the quality needs to improve but our wingers need to start playing like wingers and feed the strikers first before cutting in and seeking the glory for themselves![/quote]On yesterdays evidence alone both wingers managed to either pick out a Fulham defender or the keeper nine times out of ten. You would think that lifting your head was a difficult concept for them to grasp.RVW was continually checking himself on the edge of the area for a pull back that never came. Both wingers can beat their backs more often than not but it comes as a total surprise if they actually do anything constructive from that point. Something they will learn with time maybe but I''ve seen it from day one and there is no sign of any change yet.It should be obvious to anyone who''s watched the game that a ball cut back is much more troublesome for defenders and keeper than a ball coming in to them. It''s not bloody rocket science.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]

My word how football must have progressed and I missed it![/quote]I think the point is, by cutting inside you will create chances via passing through the middle. With full backs still offering more old school width.  The problem is, all too often Redmond resorts to cutting inside and blasting it, and Snod cuts inside and crosses left footed from in front of the defenders, which is much easier to defend and more difficult to score from.The player we really miss is Pilkington, who actually makes up numbers in box and chips in with regular goals.  He is also genuinely two footed so can put in dangerous crosses from the left.[/quote]It''s ok to do it once in a while to keep the defence off balance. They just don''t mix it up enough and therefore they become predictable.

Very true Ricky but what I am saying is they don''t go on the outside very often. In fact I would at 80% of the time they cut in or back onto their stronger foot which results in a cross that is easier to defend.

I am agreeing with you!

All I would add is that both the cut back and the ball driven across the 6 yard box are equally dangerous but only achieved by going outside or passed the fullback.

The goal came from this! If our wide men reverse the stats above I truly believe we will get more joy and it will make the times cutting inside more effective!

[quote user="ricardo"]RVW was continually checking himself on the edge of the area for a pull back that never came. Both wingers can beat their backs more often than not but it comes as a total surprise if they actually do anything constructive from that point. Something they will learn with time maybe but I''ve seen it from day one and there is no sign of any change yet.It should be obvious to anyone who''s watched the game that a ball cut back is much more troublesome for defenders and keeper than a ball coming in to them. It''s not bloody rocket science.[/quote]As a striker it must make timing your runs almost impossible when the wingers are always cutting inside and checking back. We aren''t the only club with these problems.  Spurs were having exactly the same issues.  Andros Townsend being a prime culprit of the cut inside and blast it brigade.I notice also that when RvW first came here he was always looking for the through ball, which never came.  The commentators mentioned against Fulham that at one point RvW failed to pick up a Fox long pass as he seemed shocked the ball was coming his way!

[quote user="snake-eyes"]Very true Ricky but what I am saying is they don''t go on the outside very often. In fact I would at 80% of the time they cut in or back onto their stronger foot which results in a cross that is easier to defend.

I am agreeing with you!

All I would add is that both the cut back and the ball driven across the 6 yard box are equally dangerous but only achieved by going outside or passed the fullback.

The goal came from this! If our wide men reverse the stats above I truly believe we will get more joy and it will make the times cutting inside more effective![/quote]

Thank you Snake. It''s painfully obvious that they need to mix it up a bit more and frustrating when the don''t.I played in goal for enough years to know with absolute certainty that crosses and shots coming into you from angle are meat and drink compared to stuff going away.

ricardo wrote the following post at 05/01/2014 8:29 PM:

.......... It''s ok to do it once in a while to keep the defence off balance. They just don''t mix it up enough and therefore they become predictable.

Exactly so. A defence which has two centre backs covering most of the penalty area is far easier to penetrate than one which has two centre backs and two full backs who have been pulled in there by inverted wingers. Add a couple of opposition defensive midfielders and then tell me where our midfield players are supposed to play the through balls which so many posters say they are not playing.

Surely by giving ourselves width it makes it so much easier to attack teams.

As i am sure you will know Ricky and i have been arguing this for over a year now, it is harder to defend facing your own goal that away from it!

Our thoughts may not be fashionable and I have been told that this is not the modern way, thus wrong. From what i have witnessed over 30 years of watching Soccer. I am yet to be convinced with the so called modern way of inverted wingers cutting in more than getting to the byline.

Once again I agree with you Ricardo (having also played in goal for about 30 years).

Nothing pleased me more than seeing wingers trying to plough their way through the centre of our defence and coming up against so much traffic they quite often never got shots in.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Once again I agree with you Ricardo (having also played in goal for about 30 years).

Nothing pleased me more than seeing wingers trying to plough their way through the centre of our defence and coming up against so much traffic they quite often never got shots in.[/quote]Even if they get a shot in you are odds on favourite to stop it if you get your angles right. Stuff going away leaves you in two minds, do I go or do I stay. If you''re not careful you get caught in between, just like Bunn did yesterday.Been there, done that.

[quote user="Adycakes"]He was bought for 12m though, when was the last time we spent 12m on one player? ;)[/quote]

RVW was 9 million pounds...

just 3 million more would have put us in the hunt for Bony... that would have been a Wes Hoolahan Transfer fee....

RVW was not 9m. I understand the annoyance at "getting the wrong one" as it were, but don''t make things up to suit the agenda.

[quote user="splutcho"]RVW was not 9m. I understand the annoyance at "getting the wrong one" as it were, but don''t make things up to suit the agenda.[/quote]

wehich agenda would that be?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2297841/Ricky-Van-Wolfswinkel-joins-Norwich-City.html

I''m 500,000 short.. so it was an extra few bob for Wes to sign Bony...

The agenda that RVW was crap and Bony was good. Why so defensive?

You can''t go on what the Daily Mail says. It was 7-7.5m

[quote user="splutcho"]The agenda that RVW was crap and Bony was good. Why so defensive?

You can''t go on what the Daily Mail says. It was 7-7.5m[/quote]

I''m sorry but I think you are making that transfer fee up to service an agenda...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8800867/transfer-news-ricky-van-wolfswinkel-completes-norwich-move-and-targets-goals

2 unrelated and independent sources now splutcho...

nothing but your made up figure for your argument...