Sign in to follow this  
Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Our best run in the top flight of English football for 19 years

Really?
A few weeks back it was the worst Norwich had ever offered to the premier league.
Good to know ;]

For the younger posters who weren''t around at the time, this is what it used to be like during the "golden era" of our club between 86-93, where we would regularly beat Man Utd ,cup quarter finals were the norm and Ipswich were in the 2nd division........I''ve been transported back to 89 and I''m a teenager once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one or two would need to go back to ''59 to be a teenager again

mind you, City beat Man Utd then, were in the quarter finals ...........................

.......................... and the binners were in the 2nd division as well

plus ca change ( as the chinese would say)

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]For the younger posters who weren''t around at the time, this is what it used to be like during the "golden era" of our club between 86-93, where we would regularly beat Man Utd ,cup quarter finals were the norm and Ipswich were in the 2nd division........I''ve been transported back to 89 and I''m a teenager once again!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]Hear, hear that''s exactly how I feel about what''s happening this year. Startling to think that quite literally an entire generation of City fans just didn''t know what it''s like to enjoy a cup run!!

Fear not, they will undoubtedly find something to latch unto

maybe a remark made at the AGM, a comment that we are not set to spend £25m in January or that we didn''t score at Everton

and up will come the stone and out they will all crawl

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]The title of the thread says it all, negative Hughton and these damn clean sheets have lead to our best run in the top flight for 19 years, oh how I hanker for "Lambert Style" and not being able to defend for toffee.....[/quote][img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531083_4545726197303_1757988948_n.jpg[/img]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]For the younger posters who weren''t around at the time, this is what it used to be like during the "golden era" of our club between 86-93, where we would regularly beat Man Utd ,cup quarter finals were the norm and Ipswich were in the 2nd division........I''ve been transported back to 89 and I''m a teenager once again!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]Glad I''n not the only one who noticed ! I went to the recent Villa game at Villa Park, the last time I went was in ''89 for THAT FA Cup semi final; I was 17 then.But yes, we would regularly turn Spurs over. We always seemed to have a fight with Arsenal and, of course, thought nothing of Chelsea. They were like Fulham are now really, possibly worse.

I''m over the moon with the results, and our current run.  However, i think this whole 19 year thing is very misleading.
In that 19 years (Presuming it''s going from the 1993-1994 mid-season) it''s actually taking into account 3.5 seasons in the league which were hardly our greatest :-
  • 93/94 (Half season) Close season was the start of our decline following europe earlier, and the start of a mass exodus we went through.
  • 94/95 Was, well, uncomfortable despite looking ok to start with. :( (Painful memories)
  • 04/05 Worthy''s "Go out and have fun lads, enjoy yourselves!" season.  And let''s be honest, we weren''t quite prepared, on or off the field.
  • 11/12 Lambert''s last season.
However, i will say this, in the current climate - I think Hughton''s doing an amazing job for us, and for me personally i just find quotes like this to be doing him and the squad we had in the early 90''s a great dis-service.
We''re not performing better than the legends of the early 90''s, but no-one expects that, but we''re doing better than our previous attempt under Worthy, that''s pretty much all the 19 year statement refers to if we''re honest.
I will say though, I had big doubts over Hughton, but now, i am 110% behind the guy.
I''ll be honest, i was sat here secretly thinking he was clueless, and we seemed to be heading for another 04/05 ''nice guy who loses every week'' season.  But he''s already shown that he''s a top top manager.  I''m just glad that he got the bit of luck every manager needs.
So let''s be careful getting on these artificial highs and depressing lows... After it''s all averaged out i think we''ll be ok, and without doubt have the right man for the job.
I know i won''t be doubting him again when we inevitably go on a nasty blip.

It''s very difficult to compare like-with-like over the years due to the financial landscape of the Premier League.The bottom line is though, in the last month Norwich have beaten Spurs, Man U & Arsenal, however you look at it and that is impressive.

A team of former captains managed by one of the most respected managers in English football with a secure and supportive board who invest with love as much as they do with cash, it shouldn''t be surprising that we are doing well but I was fearing the worst after the Fulham game, still plenty of time to go, long may it continue

From about 1975, even getting relegated didn''t seem to be the disaster that it does now. We always seemed to get promotion the following season. When we were first relegated from the Premier league that feeling continued, how long did it take to get back?.

Some of the older folk (admittedly, there won''t be many of them) will correct me if I''m wrong, but weren''t Norwich the 1st club to have been relagated from the top tier, only to win promotion back the next season, on 3 successive occasions?

As my memory has become a bit "intermittent" I cannot recall the exact seasons these 3 happened in, and, unfortunately the new and "unimproved" official site only goes back 4 seasons. So if anyone can remember.....

It''s a nice soundbite and i like the positivity  but It''s abit like when some pundit or commentator comes out with Norwich havent won at so and so''s ground in 19 years when we''ve probably only played there 3 times in those 19.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

Some of the older folk (admittedly, there won''t be many of them) will correct me if I''m wrong, but weren''t Norwich the 1st club to have been relagated from the top tier, only to win promotion back the next season, on 3 successive occasions?

As my memory has become a bit "intermittent" I cannot recall the exact seasons these 3 happened in, and, unfortunately the new and "unimproved" official site only goes back 4 seasons. So if anyone can remember.....

[/quote]1974/751981/821985/86

Norwich are the only club that have gone from tier 3 to the Premier League and stayed there in conseceutive seasons. Man C & Sheff U, who also did a 3-2-1 got relegated the following season.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]For the younger posters who weren''t around at the time, this is what it used to be like during the "golden era" of our club between 86-93, where we would regularly beat Man Utd ,cup quarter finals were the norm and Ipswich were in the 2nd division........I''ve been transported back to 89 and I''m a teenager once again!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I wonder if the neutral fans felt like teenagers..