Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

TEAM FOR ARSENAL

Against Chelsea I thought we played very well just looked too exposed defensively. Putting Bradley Johnson on wide left of midfield left was a poor choice. Javier Garrido was offered no protection whatsoever and Ivanovic and Mata had a field day.

My team against Arsenal at home would be the following;-

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Barnett Garrido

Fox

Bennett Tettey Howson Pilkington

Holt

For me Fox can help the defence out. I actually thought Hoolahan played well but struggle to find room in midfield without allowing Arsenal to dominate and dictate. 

What is clear is that we need a real linchpin defensive midfielder and another partner to Bassong. Barnett''s positioning at times is poor but whose better? Ryan Bennett is not there yet and not ready in my opinion.  

I''d be very similar, only really changes to the back-line, and dropping Tettey a bit deeper. I''d maybe swap Tierney back for Garrido, depending on the result of my thread asking how well Garrido got on v Chelsea. I''ve started Butterfield as well as I really want to see what he can do, why not see against a quality defence! If hes still not ready then would swap for Hoolahan

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Bennett Tierney

Fox Tettey

Bennett Butterfield Pilkington

Holt

What has Wes done to merit dropping after being one of the better players against Chelsea? Is Tettey any better?

I''ve only seen MOTD highlights of the Chelsea game so can''t really comment. Just really want to see Butterfield in a starting 11 to see what he has to offer in the Prem, and you can''t drop Tetty for him as we''d not have enough muscle in the midfield then. Thought throwing him in the deep end against a very well organised Arsenal team which perhaps we are not expecting to get anything from sounds like a good opportunity.

From the highlights I have seen, and the match reports i''ve read, Hoolihan was probably our best player against Chelsea so perhaps I am being a bit harsh dropping him from my team, just feels like a good chance to really test Butterfield.

ruddy

martin   basong   bennett  garrido

bennett   howson  snoddy  pilks

wes

holt

butterfield/fox/morison/tettey/bunn/jackson

Whatever we do we can not go with the turgid midfield 3 of Johnson Howson and Tettey.  The first two have almost become undroppable,  and after some anonymous performance I am struggling to understand why.   They are the key changes for me, going 4231, with Fox & Tettey  giving some secutrity in front of the back four with some pace from the 3 to get beyond Holt,  who needs to get into the box more often

Ruddy

Martin  Barnett   Bassong   Garrido

Fox   Tettey

Bennett       Hoolahan     Pilkington

Holt. 

Ruddy

E. Bennett R Martin  Bassong   Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Snodgrass/Pilkington       Howson     Snodgrass/Pilkington

Holt. 

or

Ruddy

E. Bennett R Martin  Bassong   Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Snodgrass/Pilkington       Holt     Snodgrass/Pilkington

Jackson

I think its immaterial what team goes out against arsenal, its the tactics that the manager employs that have to change, along with his pre match ritual of saying how great the opposition are!! he needs to get the team back to playing ATTACKING football and give it a go!!

I think i would drop Howson, i think he is a cracking player but is looking more and more anonymous this season.

I''d like to see a more attacking 451 with Johnson and Tettey holding, Wes behind Holt and 2 wingers from Pilkington/Snodgrass and Bennett pushing forward to support.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Whatever we do we can not go with the turgid midfield 3 of Johnson Howson and Tettey.  The first two have almost become undroppable,  and after some anonymous performance I am struggling to understand why.   They are the key changes for me, going 4231, with Fox & Tettey  giving some secutrity in front of the back four with some pace from the 3 to get beyond Holt,  who needs to get into the box more often

Ruddy

Fox   Tettey

Bennett       Hoolahan     Pilkington

Holt. 

[/quote]

I like that team and formation because it''s flexible. I also take on board GPele''s point about dropping Johnson and Baker''s point about Pilks playing on the right. So howabout bring in Johnson on left and replace Bennett with Pilks?

Gk Ruddy, RB E.Bennett, CB Bassong, CB R.Martin, LB Tierney, RM Snodgrass, DM B.Johnson, LM Pilkington, AM Hoolahan, ST Holt, ST C.Martin. Stop going defensively and try and win the game!!

I just can''t be dealing with this obsession with Russell Martin at Centre Half. Isn''t our record signing a centre back? Compromising Elliot Bennett to accommodate Martin at centre back just seems bonkers to me. All it really emphasises is what a huge miss Naughton is, if we still had him I doubt very much if Russ would be getting much of a look in.

Tierney for Garrido too..?? Really..??

I still think we will be ok. Further investment in January is looking vital though.

Ruddy      Bunn         Rudd      Steer   

Fox               Hoolahan      

E. Bennett      Morrison   Holt      Jackson      Pilkington

Like Zipper''s team too, looks really potent to me with Fox and Tettey providing protection to the back 4 but also lending a creative dimension to provide the ammo for the front 4.

Got to have Hools - can''t understand why some have him dropped.

All i would change is Barnett. I''d replace him with my gran.

Ruddy

Fox  

Bennett  Snodgrass  Pilkington

Hoolahan 

Holt

Sorry didn''t realise that, I''d stick in Ryan Bennett too.     Ruddy

Martin  R Bennett   Bassong   Garrido

Fox   Tettey

E Bennett       Hoolahan     Pilkington

Holt.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Buffon

Alex

Pique

Puyol

Ashley Cole

Neymar

Robben

Messi

Ronaldo

Mata

Villa

and no doubt you''d still all moan!
[/quote]

Yep. Ashley Cole is a ****, you''ve left out Xavi and Iniesta, there''s no shape in the midfield and where does Wes fit in?

[quote user="Timmah"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]BuffonAlexPiquePuyolAshley ColeNeymarRobbenMessiRonaldoMataVilla

and no doubt you''d still all moan![/quote]

Yep. Ashley Cole is a ****, you''ve left out Xavi and Iniesta, there''s no shape in the midfield and where does Wes fit in?

[/quote]Wes is too good for this lot.. thats just the reserve team above.

Ruddy            R Martin      Barnett    Bassong     Garrido                                        Tettey                           E Bennett  Hoolahan  Snodgrass                                                Holt                                       Jackson

Park the bus. Failing that:

Ruddy

E Bennett - R Martin - Bassong - Garrido

Tettey - Fox

Pilkington - Hoolahan - Snodgrass

Holt

Any views as to playing Jackson as one of the three behind Holt?