Sign in to follow this  
Norwich or die tryin!

Sack Hughton appoint Holloway

Maybe we should have pulled £8m plus extras or whatever ''out of thin air'' for Rhodes like some people have suggested..F*** sake, we''re 5 games in and lost a game by 1 goal away to Newcastle and drew 3 games before that after tightening up the team (after Fulham). If Liverpool can keep faith in Rodgers after 5 games an no win then I''m sure we can keep faith for a few more games. Let''s see where we are after 10 games at least, which is where things look a bit more normal (even after that there''ll be 28 games left and 84pts available!)As it stands we have 33 games left and 99pts available so let''s just see keep a bit of faith and hopefully we can nick a win from the next 3 to settle some nerves. I''m not saying I''m blindly optimistic because I know it looks like a long hard season ahead, but in those games against QPR, Spurs and West Ham I saw more than enough to believe we can win enough games or get enough points to stay up relatively comfortably. Newcastle away was always going to be tough and to lose by 1 goal and still have a few decent chances is no shame. I do think that we''re much stronger in 4-4-2 though and hopefully CH keeps faith with that system at home to Liverpool where we really have to go for it. I''d also love to see Butterfield given a chance to shine against Donny and Tettey too. Strangely enough I could maybe see a 4-5-1 opportunity there with Tettey and Fox holding and Chris Martin, Butterfield and another behind 1 striker..maybe Kane if he can play? Would like to see 1 of the Murphy boys get some minutes too!

I think Hughton is safe for the time being, but the board will have to reappraise the situation after 10 games or so if the team is still shot shy by then - otherwise we are going down.

From todays press;

Football is supposed, often with good cause, to be a cut-throat, ruthless business but at Newcastle it showed its human side. First Demba Ba and Hatem Ben Arfa, Newcastle''s elected penalty-takers, allowed Papiss Cissé to take a penalty because their team-mate was struggling for form. No matter that Cissé missed horribly, it was the thought that counted. Then Chris Hughton, striving for a first League win with Norwich, disguised his disappointment to praise his team''s chief tormentor Ben Arfa – a player he originally brought to Newcastle:"I''m just pleased to see Hatem fit again and playing so well." The good news is that, if Wes Hoolahan keeps playing like this, Hughton should eventually get the rewards his class and dignity demand.

Have just got home from the game after a two nights in Newcastle and a very long train ride back to Devon. I cannot believe the negativity on here. I would almost call it pathetic but would probably get jumped on by a load of posters who only dare to offer opinions from behind a shield of anonymity.

If I compare our performance yesterday I would do so favourably against the corresponding game back in March. Yes we currently lack confidence up front but on the whole I see the team playing well as a unit.

No way of knowing, of course, but I suspect that had Seb stayed on we might well have defended the goal better and got ourselves a point.

The anti Hughton posts are barely credible and I am afraid that they show a total lack of spirit and fighting qualities. Hopefully the team will not be so weak willed.

RP

We should not be happy with losing the game closely. We were not adventurous enough and seemed to settle for a 1-0 defeat. That is not good enough for us and Newcastle were there for the taking IMO, which is so frustrating. A defeat against Liverpool and we can really start to worry. Lack of goals and points will breed lack of confidence throughout the squad.

All I''m going to say on the matter is.  Wigan ''got away with it'' a few times playing well and not scoring enough.  We might not be as lucky, the lack of goals could well cost us this year if this continues.

If not Hughton Hu would you have, Hollaway would see us concede plenty, sure scoring is a problem that £5 or £6m may have resolved but could we afford the wages?  Hughton was my first choice and remains so.

[quote user="pete"]If not Hughton Hu would you have, Hollaway would see us concede plenty, sure scoring is a problem that £5 or £6m may have resolved but could we afford the wages?  Hughton was my first choice and remains so.[/quote]

Money is not the answer. Rickie Lambert seems able enough to score and so was Holt last year, and both cost ''peanuts''. Team set-up is the answer, and the ability to turn a goal conceded into a change in strategy to attack and win, just as Southampton did at the weekend. Hughton failed to change to an attacking strategy when we were a goal down, until 10 minutes from the end when he brought on Jackson. Far too late IMO.

[quote user="Wiz"]I''m also uneasy with the way Hughton constantly ''bigs up'' the opposition, heaven knows what message that sends to our lads.[:S][/quote]Says the `man` who before a 1-0 away loss to Newcastle bleated on about `In Hughton i Trust` and had signature images to make it perfectly clear, and how he''s great for the job. Also remember you stating he just `oozes class` in relation to him still being in charge IF we got relegated.Sorry Wiz, i''m not usually harsh towards you - i try and be understanding. But this is beyond ridiculous.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Wiz"]I''m also uneasy with the way Hughton constantly ''bigs up'' the opposition, heaven knows what message that sends to our lads.[:S][/quote]Says the `man` who before a 1-0 away loss to Newcastle bleated on about `In Hughton i Trust` and had signature images to make it perfectly clear, and how he''s great for the job. Also remember you stating he just `oozes class` in relation to him still being in charge IF we got relegated.Sorry Wiz, i''m not usually harsh towards you - i try and be understanding. But this is beyond ridiculous.[/quote]Lol Hogs!  `In Hughton Wiz Trusted`until  15.18 yesterday but it all disappeared when Newcastle scored. [:D]

You often hear the line trotted out about how some supporters are a "knowledgeable crowd." I think threads like this coupled with the idiotic booing of the Jackson sub last week and the fact so many of our fans seem to have unquestioningly adopted the lazy strap line that Hughton is a negative manager suggest that many of our support are at the other end of the spectrum.

Hughton is NOT a negative manager. We are creating just as many, if not more chances than in most games last season whilst at the same time looking more solid at the back. The only thing that is worse than last season (although last season we drew with Stoke and Wigan and lost to West Brom at home by this stage) is our chance conversion ratio because the strikers are not scoring. Hughton wanted a striker. he said so several times. I don;t believe he wanted harry Kane. I suspect the fact that we didn''t get that striker is mainly to do with the fact that McNally was left to negotiate with other clubs and probably played hardball on prices thus meaning we didn;t get one. Thats not Hughton''s fault. Grant Holt being out of sorts and not scoring is not Hughton''s fault. We''ve strengthened the defence and I think look better in that area. The midfield looks capable of holding its own against anyone in this league. The sole area we are struggling is up front and we have the same players as last season. Its just not happening at the moment. If it doesn;t then yes we are in trouble but if it does then i think we will be fine. Had Hoot sold Holt and bought in a player for £6m who didn;t immediately start scoring he would have been crucified. As it was he had a decision to make and obviously signing Holt back up rather than risk finding a striker for £6m or so seemed to him to be the better option. Without the benefit of hindsight i''m not sure many of us would have done differently.

Many people seem to have over the course of the summer convinced themselves that lambert had us playing stunning, super attacking football week in, week out. he didn''t. We were good in some games last season,  but we were also pretty sh*t in quite a lot of matches, including the first few matches. What he perhaps had was a knack of making bold subs which paid off more often than not (sometime through good judgment sometimes I think through a bit of luck) but I haven;t seen much in our last 4 performances that was vastly different from how we played under Lambert. Yes its disappointing we didn;t beat QPR and/or West Ham at home. We should have done and those are points we may regret at the end of the season just as we thought we would regret not beating Stoke and West Brom.

Finally, for those convinced Lambert is so much more attacking than Hughton below is the teamk he put out at St James''s Park last season. 4-5-1. No Hoolahan. Morison up front on his own. First sub Holt coming on after 77 minutes. Efforts on goal over the 90 minutes 11. My recollection is it was a very, very similar game to yesterdays with a similar result. Should have got something out of both. Didn''t thanks to some poor finishing and maybe not getting our fair share of luck but the team and tactics were virtually the same.

• John Ruddy,
  • Kyle Naughton,
  • Elliott Ward,
  • Zak Whitbread,
  • Adam Drury (Wes Hoolahan, 82),
  • Jonathan Howson (Grant Holt, 77),
  • Elliott Bennett,
  • David Fox,
  • Anthony Pilkington (Russell Martin, 85),
  • Andrew Surman,
  • Steve Morison
  •  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="pete"]If not Hughton Hu would you have, Hollaway would see us concede plenty, sure scoring is a problem that £5 or £6m may have resolved but could we afford the wages?  Hughton was my first choice and remains so.[/quote]

Money is not the answer. Rickie Lambert seems able enough to score and so was Holt last year, and both cost ''peanuts''. Team set-up is the answer, and the ability to turn a goal conceded into a change in strategy to attack and win, just as Southampton did at the weekend. Hughton failed to change to an attacking strategy when we were a goal down, until 10 minutes from the end when he brought on Jackson. Far too late IMO.

[/quote]

You point would have more credibility if we hadn;t have carved out plenty of good attacking situations/opportunities. There is nothing wrong with the team set up. One of the front players just needs to have the nerve to put their foot through the ball.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

You often hear the line trotted out about how some supporters are a "knowledgeable crowd." I think threads like this coupled with the idiotic booing of the Jackson sub last week and the fact so many of our fans seem to have unquestioningly adopted the lazy strap line that Hughton is a negative manager suggest that many of our support are at the other end of the spectrum.

Hughton is NOT a negative manager. We are creating just as many, if not more chances than in most games last season whilst at the same time looking more solid at the back. The only thing that is worse than last season (although last season we drew with Stoke and Wigan and lost to West Brom at home by this stage) is our chance conversion ratio because the strikers are not scoring. Hughton wanted a striker. he said so several times. I don;t believe he wanted harry Kane. I suspect the fact that we didn''t get that striker is mainly to do with the fact that McNally was left to negotiate with other clubs and probably played hardball on prices thus meaning we didn;t get one. Thats not Hughton''s fault. Grant Holt being out of sorts and not scoring is not Hughton''s fault. We''ve strengthened the defence and I think look better in that area. The midfield looks capable of holding its own against anyone in this league. The sole area we are struggling is up front and we have the same players as last season. Its just not happening at the moment. If it doesn;t then yes we are in trouble but if it does then i think we will be fine. Had Hoot sold Holt and bought in a player for £6m who didn;t immediately start scoring he would have been crucified. As it was he had a decision to make and obviously signing Holt back up rather than risk finding a striker for £6m or so seemed to him to be the better option. Without the benefit of hindsight i''m not sure many of us would have done differently.

Many people seem to have over the course of the summer convinced themselves that lambert had us playing stunning, super attacking football week in, week out. he didn''t. We were good in some games last season,  but we were also pretty sh*t in quite a lot of matches, including the first few matches. What he perhaps had was a knack of making bold subs which paid off more often than not (sometime through good judgment sometimes I think through a bit of luck) but I haven;t seen much in our last 4 performances that was vastly different from how we played under Lambert. Yes its disappointing we didn;t beat QPR and/or West Ham at home. We should have done and those are points we may regret at the end of the season just as we thought we would regret not beating Stoke and West Brom.

Finally, for those convinced Lambert is so much more attacking than Hughton below is the teamk he put out at St James''s Park last season. 4-5-1. No Hoolahan. Morison up front on his own. First sub Holt coming on after 77 minutes. Efforts on goal over the 90 minutes 11. My recollection is it was a very, very similar game to yesterdays with a similar result. Should have got something out of both. Didn''t thanks to some poor finishing and maybe not getting our fair share of luck but the team and tactics were virtually the same.

• John Ruddy,
  • Kyle Naughton,
  • Elliott Ward,
  • Zak Whitbread,
  • Adam Drury (Wes Hoolahan, 82),
  • Jonathan Howson (Grant Holt, 77),
  • Elliott Bennett,
  • David Fox,
  • Anthony Pilkington (Russell Martin, 85),
  • Andrew Surman,
  • Steve Morison
  •  

[/quote]

Sorry just to be clear I meant the team set up was the same. Obviously several players were different!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

You point would have more credibility if we hadn;t have carved out plenty of good attacking situations/opportunities. There is nothing wrong with the team set up. One of the front players just needs to have the nerve to put their foot through the ball.

[/quote]

That''s ok then. 

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Wiz"]I''m also uneasy with the way Hughton constantly ''bigs up'' the opposition, heaven knows what message that sends to our lads.[:S][/quote]

Says the `man` who before a 1-0 away loss to Newcastle bleated on about `In Hughton i Trust` and had signature images to make it perfectly clear, and how he''s great for the job. Also remember you stating he just `oozes class` in relation to him still being in charge IF we got relegated.

Sorry Wiz, i''m not usually harsh towards you - i try and be understanding. But this is beyond ridiculous.
    [/quote]

All fair points Hogs, but watching the game I saw a few things that alarmed me.

1. Leaves substitutions far too late.

2. Bigs up the oppo to a ridicilous level.

3. Sets out NOT to lose a game, but not win it.

4. Smacks of Worthy''s stint in the Premier.

It''s such a shame because he''s such a nice articulate bloke and well respected in the game,  but give me a mavrick like Rednapp every time.

[quote user="Wiz"]give me a mavrick like Rednapp every time.[/quote]But you had such a maverick Wiz, Glenn Roeder. You even changed your name in his honour for a while, G-Wiz if I remember correctly.[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Wiz"]give me a mavrick like Rednapp every time.[/quote]
    But you had such a maverick Wiz, Glenn Roeder. You even changed your name in his honour for a while, G-Wiz if I remember correctly.[;)]
    [/quote]

Not me Lapps..........someone else, a lady poster I think.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Wiz"]I''m also uneasy with the way Hughton constantly ''bigs up'' the opposition, heaven knows what message that sends to our lads.[:S][/quote]Says the `man` who before a 1-0 away loss to Newcastle bleated on about `In Hughton i Trust` and had signature images to make it perfectly clear, and how he''s great for the job. Also remember you stating he just `oozes class` in relation to him still being in charge IF we got relegated.Sorry Wiz, i''m not usually harsh towards you - i try and be understanding. But this is beyond ridiculous.[/quote]

All fair points Hogs, but watching the game I saw a few things that alarmed me.

1. Leaves substitutions far too late.

2. Bigs up the oppo to a ridicilous level.

3. Sets out NOT to lose a game, but not win it.

4. Smacks of Worthy''s stint in the Premier.

It''s such a shame because he''s such a nice articulate bloke and well respected in the game,  but give me a mavrick like Rednapp every time.

[/quote]

How did we set up not to win that game? We had good chances right from Wes''s header at the start through to Jackson''s effort at the end. Its not like we sat there and did nothing for 80 minutes before a last minute rally like we used to do under Worthington. That was setting up not to lose away games. At both Spurs and Newcastle under Hughton we have created chances and attacked when the opportunity arises throughout the matches.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Yeah we need to be brave, CH is not the man for us. We could easily not win out next 4-5 and by then were in serious trouble. I wouldn''t bring holloway in, but CH has to go.[/quote]I cant believe what I''m reading here...

Good call OP, Holloway is really showing he can do the business tonight! Wonder if there will be Holloway out threads on Blackpool boards later?

[quote user="JF"]Good call OP, Holloway is really showing he can do the business tonight! Wonder if there will be Holloway out threads on Blackpool boards later?[/quote]

Well, it''s been more exciting to watch than the Newcastle game IMO. 

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="JF"]Good call OP, Holloway is really showing he can do the business tonight! Wonder if there will be Holloway out threads on Blackpool boards later?[/quote]

Well, it''s been more exciting to watch than the Newcastle game IMO. 

[/quote]
    But as people are so fond of pointing out the score (and the points) are all that matter. Blackpool are going to leave tonight with 0 points and having conceded three goals at the moment.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry just to be clear I meant the team set up was the same. Obviously several players were different!

• [/quote]
  •  

Jim, I posted this on another thread yesterday..

If you compare todays game with last seasons game at Newcatle those stats suggest nothing has changed. We lost both games 1-0.

This season we had 8 shots 3 on target last season 9 shots 4 on target.

This season Newc had 16 shots 8 on target last season they had 12 shots 6 on target.

This season we had 5 corners last season we had 5 corners.

This season they had 4 corners last season they had 4 corners.

This season we had 19 fouls last season 15 fouls.

This season they had 11 fouls last season they had 8 fouls.

This season we had 43% posession last season we had 56% posession.

It''s a funny ol'' game!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry just to be clear I meant the team set up was the same. Obviously several players were different!

• [/quote]

If you compare todays game with last seasons game at Newcatle those stats suggest nothing has changed. We lost both games 1-0.

This season Newc had 16 shots 8 on target last season they had 12 shots 6 on target.

It''s a funny ol'' game!

[/quote]

• Penalty conveniently forgotten I see... and that 13% more possession hardly worked. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry just to be clear I meant the team set up was the same. Obviously several players were different!

• [/quote]

It''s a funny ol'' game!

[/quote]

• Penalty conveniently forgotten I see... and that 13% more possession hardly worked. 

• [/quote]
  •  

Where did I forget the penalty? And the 13% more posession was from last season! I don''t understand the point you are trying to make. My point was that in both games the circumstances and result were the same. Despite the different way we approach games Newcastle dealt with us in much the same way. But they are a good side. I repeat, it''s a funny ol'' game.

Now what was your point?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I guess there''s one thing in Holloway''s favour - he''d fit right into Canary call!

OTBC

[/quote]

If they have many more performances like tonight he may soon be looking for a club!