Sign in to follow this  
Viva Marc Libbra

Bradley Johnson

I thought he was excellent today. Ran his socks of, closed down well, got stuck in and protected the back line. His use of the ball let him down on a couple of occasions but was generally good. He did a job that generally goes unnoticed but is vital for the team.

Though today it was hard for it to go unnoticed

Did remind me today of defenders who dribble out of defence and find themselves in the opposing half and. look like ............. '' fark, what do I do with it now''

but otherwise a cracking game from him

I thought he was ok at best.  Yes he gets stuck in, gives 100% and breaks up play but I just don''t think he''s good enough.  His technical ability is quite poor imo and just seems to give the ball away a lot quite cheaply.  He does a job but I think we can do a lot better than him and hopefully Tettey will be good and can take his place just to give us some more quality.

As long as he protects the back 4 and works his a*** off then he only needs to pass it on to another midfielder or attacker. He did have a moment or 2 where he was upfield and just shaped to blast it from miles out or stuttered along a bit, but that''s only because he was further forward than normal. Thought he looked very good and as energetic as usual. Great to have Tettey in and keep him on his toes. Loving the competition for places. Last year we had Crofts as competition, but he was off the pace and didn''t really push Johnson for a place. This year we have Tettey and it''s pushed Johnson on (even if it''s only 1 game so far) and there''s much better quality/depth in that position. Same with the attacking mid/hole position with Butterfield to compete with Hoolahoop this year. And Snodgrass on the right with Benno. Hopefully Whittaker proves to be competent at right-back and good competition for Russ. I think Bassong looked very assured today too and adds real quality again. Same with Garrido who has to replace the legend that is Drury. Much, much happier with the performance today, but devastated with the result on the same hand as we outplayed QPR and the injustice really gets to me

Bradley Johnson Statistics
60 passes attempted, 62% accuracy rating (attempted most passes of any player)
80% Aerials won
76 touches of the ball (most of any player)
1 shot (off target)
5 tackles (most of any Norwich player, joint first with Park Ji-Sung
3 interceptions (most of any Norwich player, joint first with Fabio)
3 clearances
4 fouls

While I think Johnsons limited at this level he done a very good job today and was one of the stand out midfielders!

BR was one who "had" to prove that he can keep his place in the team I think. Was terrible against Fulham. Today there were far more committment from him. But I have a bad feeling it will be maybe ten games until he play a good game again as he can''t keep up the level over a long period. Hope I am proven wrong.

[quote user="Gareth"]Bradley Johnson Statistics

60 passes attempted, 62% accuracy rating (attempted most passes of any player)

80% Aerials won

76 touches of the ball (most of any player)

1 shot (off target)

5 tackles (most of any Norwich player, joint first with Park Ji-Sung

3 interceptions (most of any Norwich player, joint first with Fabio)

3 clearances

4 fouls

[/quote]

Those stats though literally sum up Johnson. He is fantastic at what he does.

Having someone in our team at the level we want to be at though with 62% passing accuracy is not good enough for us. 70s is the minimum and 80s ideally. Basically he wins possession, but then he loses it!

Don''t know if Tettey is going to be the man to give us that, Hughton described him as having having Brad''s energy and strength but not quite having his range of passing.

Good point but in his defence most of the time when possession is lost it is when he is under pressure after winning the ball. I don''t think his retention of the ball is too bad in open mid-field play.

Thought he was excellent today! every high ball he attacked the player and ball with a second player coming in behind to mop up if needed, very effective.

Apart from possibly 15min in the second half thought we totally controlled midfield today.

I know i''m being hyper critical, but we were controlling it against a very poor team.

I thought we played well and we deserved to win, but if we played better we wouldn''t have needed to rely on a penalty.

Our passing does have to get better but its very early doors and I fully believe it will get better. Other teams are passing it much better than ours and hopefully we will get up to speed soon! The good teams players average around the high 80s for passing accuracy, the best average in the 90s. I don''t believe we have the luxury in the Premier League of being able to say we can have a holding midfielder who only has to have 60% passing in any game - Lets just hope it was an aberration.

People will roll their eyes at me again when I say this, but Wes is a high 80s man minimum and he runs 10k in a match, we should be playing our best footballers. If not Wes then hopefully Butterfield will hopefully do the job to a similar standard.

If the opposition don''t have the ball they find it harder to win. Like I say, I know i''m being hyper critical, I was honestly more pleased with yesterday than last week and I believe we will get better still.

I agree with you Downloads as the very same thing had crossed my mind.

All of a sudden three players, whom many of us had considered not quite upto the mark, Barnett, Jackson and Johnson had stormers. I won''t get carried away until they reproduce some of the same against the likes of Spurs.

On the less gloomy side, QPR were rank bad for most of the game IMO and it looks like one of the bottom three places could well be booked already. If they keep it up, then Hughes might be gone before Xmas and the turmoil involved might well ensure it.