Hi,

Just a quick post about the worry I have for the forthcoming season, before I get slated I''m fully behind Hughton and the squad!

Looking at the league this year I think it is going to be alot harder than last year and not just because of ''2nd season syndrome'', but all 3 promoted sides are spending money and will pose more of a threat in my opinion than the 3 that went down. Not that I want us to buy Pobgrevniak on riduculous wages but signings like Clyne, Rodridguez (maybe not at £7m), Gunter and Mariappa would all have been useful signings to build on the squad.

Don''t get me wrong I''m still 100% behind the club but just think it could be a tough year ahead

Agreed, staying up, even by one place is the priority, the danger will be that many fans will expect us to surpass last seasons results which would be very very difficult

I want to see us moving in the transfer market too, but I think we have a solid squad and a good replacement for PL in CH. Just staying in the league would be a great achievement. Promoted sides have made some good signings, but we''ve got a season of PL experience behind us

I agree that this season will be as tough, particulalry given that all the teams that are likley to occupy the lower half of the table will be fixated by remaining in the division because of the big leap in TV funding in 2013/14. This may increase risk taking in relation to trasnfer activity - especially in January. Dont rule out Fulham, Wigan, QPR (major squad changes), Stoke (losing momemtum), West Brom and Swansea (new unproven managers) to be drawn in the dog fight with the newly promoted teams.

While I think it''s a good realistic post, I also believe that we can be positive as well.Our midfield next year (if we get Snodgrass) could potentially be very strong.Howson will be even better, Butterfield is supposed to be a great talent and we have good quality wide players- Pilks, Surman, Bennett and Snodgrass. The only worry I have is our ability to keep goals out but I trust in Hughton to tighten us up. Let''s not write us off just yet....

The biggest danger is "expectation".     Don''t "expect" anything.    If you "expect" to be near the bottom and we aren''t,  if you "expect" to be mid table  and we aren''t, if you expect us to be near the top and we aren''t, what does that say?  It says that our expectations are wrong.    Its much better imo, to not "expect" anything and just react to the matches as they come up.    None of us really know what to expect, so why expect anything?? 

Its much better imo to follow the team without expecting us to do well, do badly or anything else.   Simply support the team with an open mind.       Expectations are the cause of many problems  as all expectations are actually false.     Nothing has happened, nothing is written in stone.   Be open minded to what could happen and just enjoy the experience.    False expectations just get in the way...........................

Will the seasons experience really help all that much ? i would rather be a newly promoted side who seem to raise their games because it is all a new experience. We do seem to be dragging our heels getting players in and with the likes of Gunter and Clyne already snapped up what really is left at Championship level , Davies, Snodgrass and an overpriced Rhodes , the little pond is running low on possible big fish .We did hear we would be looking at the foreign market but no real whispers of likely targets , the squad needs strengthening, too many are falling into the we finished 12th last season we will be ok train of thought , thats dangerous .We are supposed to have our biggest budget ever , let''s hope we dont soon hear we will save it for January.

IMO the very reason Lambert left ie it would beat probably any acheivement in the clubs history ( based on the game as it is now ) to finish above where we were last year.

Again IMO if everyone stays behind Hughton and the team we will be fine, I do however feel the boo boys will be ready to pounce on Hughton at the first opportunity. If this happens I fear for our PL survival.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

The biggest danger is "expectation".     Don''t "expect" anything.    If you "expect" to be near the bottom and we aren''t,  if you "expect" to be mid table  and we aren''t, if you expect us to be near the top and we aren''t, what does that say?  It says that our expectations are wrong.    Its much better imo, to not "expect" anything and just react to the matches as they come up.    None of us really know what to expect, so why expect anything?? 

Its much better imo to follow the team without expecting us to do well, do badly or anything else.   Simply support the team with an open mind.       Expectations are the cause of many problems  as all expectations are actually false.     Nothing has happened, nothing is written in stone.   Be open minded to what could happen and just enjoy the experience.    False expectations just get in the way...........................

[/quote]

Isn''t this at odds with your think positive mantra from the relegation mini league thread?

yep, a squad that finished comfortably mid table is going to suddenly collapse this season

clubs who are newly promoted and are currently buying Championship players are going to do well - despite those players and the rest of their squad not having PL experience ( something that supposedly had us relegated last season !)

no other club is going to have a wobble, falling apart  other than us

second season syndrom, no club has ever been relegated after one season or three seasons or four ... just the second season it would seem

Like survivors from the sinking of the dreams (us relegated) the whingers and whiners, the ever so ''umble and the closet binners will cling to what ever they can find, however ludicrous just to keep their hopes alive. It matters little what basis in reality their claims have, just as long as there is something to give them hope that we will struggle.

So perhaps a few could put their money where there mouth is and bet on these dire warnings about us struggling - and give us realists even better odds to clean up with. That''s if they have any faith in their own drivel that is.

[quote user="City1st"]

yep, a squad that finished comfortably mid table is going to suddenly collapse this season

clubs who are newly promoted and are currently buying Championship players are going to do well - despite those players and the rest of their squad not having PL experience ( something that supposedly had us relegated last season !)

second season syndrom, no club has ever been relegated after one season or three seasons or four ... just the second season it would seem

Like survivors from the sinking of the dreams (us relegated) the whingers and whiners, the ever so ''umble and the closet binners will cling to what ever they can find, however ludicrous just to keep their hopes alive. It matters little what basis in reality their claims have, just as long as there is something to give them hope that we will struggle.

So perhaps a few could put their money where there mouth is and bet on these dire warnings about us struggling - and give us realists even better odds to clean up with. That''s if they have any faith in their own drivel that is.

[/quote]And all those people thinking Lambert will leave are idiots too right , or so you told everybody  . Took you a few weeks to come out of hiding but the wannabe board bully and his big gob are back .

oh dear, I am being shouted at by a bin boy

perhaps you could point to the post you mention - or even deal with the points I do make above

and thanks for having such an interest in me that you moniter all my posts ( a little weird, but perhaps not for you) I was actually in Brittany on holiday - you don''t think I spend time on here when I am on holiday do you ?

Ah the old binboy remark  , a sure fire case of you know i am right , and no not shouting i find you rather comical as i do anybody trying to play the tough guy on a messageboard .

As I said last season "just enjoy the ride" Feeling really smug now that me and all my fellow travellers are in group 2 for away games meaning no more ballot lottery for top venues.

" a sure fire case of you know i am right "

Given that you haven''t adressed one single comment I made about the topic I''m not too sure how you can claim that I know you are right

In fact I would suggest an expression that is used up here in Norfolk " you ent roight boy" would be more appropriate in your case

Hughton knows what he''s doing and I would rather have Davies and Butterfield as well as snodgrass over the other players anyway so I feel he has the right targets

Every season in the Premier League will be tough, but I am feeling rather optimistic. I don''t think we''ll suffer the second season syndrome, new manager, new playing style and a fresh start. The 3 promoted teams are spending a lot of money, but it''s a risk if they go straight down. Remember QPR spending loads last season and only just stayed up.

[quote user="Skerritt"]Hughton knows what he''s doing and I would rather have Davies and Butterfield as well as snodgrass over the other players anyway so I feel he has the right targets[/quote]Two more signings to come I am told and if one is a class fullback I will have no worries about surviving comfortably.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Skerritt"]Hughton knows what he''s doing and I would rather have Davies and Butterfield as well as snodgrass over the other players anyway so I feel he has the right targets[/quote]Two more signings to come I am told and if one is a class fullback I will have no worries about surviving comfortably.[/quote]Two more ? that''s not a great deal of strengthening then , lets hope one is a decent striker , i believe the fullback is already signed .

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Skerritt"]Hughton knows what he''s doing and I would rather have Davies and Butterfield as well as snodgrass over the other players anyway so I feel he has the right targets[/quote]Two more signings to come I am told and if one is a class fullback I will have no worries about surviving comfortably.[/quote]Two more ? that''s not a great deal of strengthening then , lets hope one is a decent striker , i believe the fullback is already signed .[/quote]

I was told there would be four and we have two of those already.If you mean Whittaker, then I was hoping for better.

Optimism is a good thing - we all like positive thinking - positive thinking is good. However, the combination of an optimistic and positive outlook with a high handed and patronising attitude to anyone who dares to venture suggestions that lie outside the ''everything will always be alright'' mindset, is disconcerting.

Here''s a suggestion: make your views known without resorting to attacks on anyone who ventures something slightly different. I find this works quite well in most areas of life.

[quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

I believe it happened to Reading and the binners who both finished higher than we did in their 1st seasons up......

However, in amongst all the bile there are some good points! Swansea are in an idenitical position to us and have gone down the route of a manager and players with no previous experience of English football - is there position not more perilous than hours? Allen is being linked with a move away and they have key players in the Olympic Squad. WBA have a manager with no previous experience, Fulham have got rid of most of their best players & Dempsey may follow. Wigan have signed 1 player from Aberdeen!

I think we are putting together a squad of exciting attacking young players. Personally, I like to see 3 or 4 of our squad players moved on and maybe another 5 new players but I guess this unlikely.

At the end of the day we are still 4 weeks away from the start of the season & 6 weeks from the window closing - alot will happen in that time.

This season will be tougher than last season cause we won''t have the element of surprise as much and the promoted teams will be better than the relegated ones but we''re still more than capable of finishing 17th or above!

"make your views known without resorting to attacks on anyone who ventures something slightly different. "

more absurd twaddle

claiming that City will not be strengthening the squad, as opposed to my view they will is hardly slightly different, it is the exact opposite

I might also point out the ''attacks'' are upon their posts, not themselves as persons

so if you must post, do try to post what is relevant and directly relates to the debate, not what you think sounds clever but has little bearing upon what has been posted

I actually think that we will be hovering around the mid-table area again like last year.

I have been quite happy with the activity so far this off-season (would like Snoddy brought in).

I am also not concerned with the fact (particularly if we get Snoddy) that we have too many midfielders. I think with the acquisition of Snoddy our midfield would certainly be one of the most unheralded but effective as I believe there would be quality across all positions.

I would however like a PL experienced CB and another pacy forward added to the squad before the Fulham game. 

I think Norwich are in a far better position at the start of this season than at the start of the first PL season.   Those crying out and demanding higher quality players be brought in NOW may have to learn a little patience.   Things have to progress at a manageable level to ensure continuity, stability and performance are in line with many, many other facets.   Getting too ambitious too early can ruin things.

Clubs provided with a pot of gold can afford to lunge forward into the transfer market with a gung ho attitude.   Norwich''s achievement in managing their finances far outstrips anything the "bigger" clubs have achieved in my book.   Sure any club can fling themselves heavily into debt and buy a "Quality" player or three with higher wages than the rest of the squad.   I think Norwich are being very, very shrewd in the transfer market and are balancing things superbly to keep everything ship shape whilst maintaining momentum and improving what has thus far been achieved..

The dust of Lambert has settled, Grant Holts'' contract sorted out, some canny lads have been brought in.   This is not fantasy football it''s the real thing.   As far as I''m concerned Norwich City are well On The Ball for the coming season - which will be tough, it always is and there will be highs and lows, some good wins and some bad defeats.   No mid to bottom table club will relish visiting Carrow Road, of that I''m convinced.   Norwich will not concede as many goals as last season, Ruddy is now in control of his area and the defence more confident, the midfield has some tasty players, up front there is Holt and I''ve a gut feeling, I don''t know why, but I''ve a gut feeling Morison could surprise a few people who had lost faith.

I think one thing is for certain - Norwich are not going to concede so many penalties as at the start of last season!!!   So we''re 5 goals up before we start!!!!!!

There’s little doubt that we have the best young squad we have had for years, but some including City1st appear to think we are a mid table side, I hope he’s right!

Personally I believe the three teams who have come up are stronger than the three team who were relegated last season.

Are Southampton and Reading on par with our squads? Well realistically on paper yes, but they too have players who need to prove their potential at this level. Both have bought young / hungry lower league players! I think they are going to be hard to beat.

Why do people write off Swansea? Given that they have not lost any players and their fans will be saying the same of Norwich as we are them, after all they finished above us last year!

This is the biggest season in Norwich’s history, if we survive it will lay the foundations to becoming a bigger and stronger club, debt free and expanding the club stature to meet the demand of the fans. We could end up with 32,000 stadia, expanding budgets and a push for Europe.

Relegation could see us struggle to get back again for another 6-9 seasons, the sale of our players who want to carry on in the premiership and restructuring of our finances. We know just how hard it is to get out of the championship!

So as I’ve said before, this year is going to be tougher than last year, will we get 12 points form Swansea and QPR this year? Can we beat Southampton, Reading and West ham, well if we can than we will survive, if we can’t we go down, simple really.

We will survive but only if the players carry on with their positive attitude, the fans stay behind the players and the club invest big in that centre back, left back and striker positions.

One thing is for sure it will be exciting!

Exciting it will certainly be!!! But I must say I am jealous of QPR signing Junior Hoilett, class player as we saw at Carra Rud last season... I don''t wanna start another runt about signing class players and I think we''ve got a good squad ... but they have surely signed some greats! Our goal is staying in the league but I don''t think it''s going to be easy without something extra (that being signings, team spirit, good management, ... or a combination).

Shankslad and Indy sum it up nicely for me.

As for the seasons experience being an advantage, it must be, our players know that they can perform at this level and will go into the early season games in particular knowing what level of performance will be required.

Last season it was just a few results which made the difference between us finishing where we did or in 17th position, and this season I am sure will be just the same, we could finish anywhere from an improved 10th place to a "disappointing" 17th place with very little difference in the level of performance and results, this is a very competitive league and the margins are fine between success and failure. At the end of the day, regardless of what any of us hope for, a finish of 17th or above will be fantastic and set the club up nicely to move to the next level financially.  

For me, a crucial part of the season will be the first 10 or so games, and unfortunately these fixtures represent a slightly tougher start than we had last season. If we dont get points from our first two games it will be a bigger challenge to accumulate crucial points early doors. That said, playing some of the bigger teams early in the season can sometimes be an advantage I guess.

Just for the record, I am very optimistic about the upcoming season, I feel we have a good young squad and a manager who means business. Sometimes I will succumb to insecurities, worries and doubts and I sincerely hope to be able to express them on here without my feelings/concerns being seized on as evidence of my stupidity/allegience to ITFC. Please can we debate and discuss with mutual respect and a modicum of decorum.