Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Norwich make bid for Snodgrass

@PhilHayYEP: No Snodgrass tonight. Warnock says he''s got a tight hamstring but also wanted to spare him from speculation and attention after Norwich bids

@PhilHayYEP: Snodgrass still due to go to Devon and Cornwall. Warnock says Norwich haven''t met valuation and he doesn''t want to sell #lufc

Wonder if Colin has a scan to prove it?

So second bid not good enough either then shame that, maybe we can get him on a free next year.

[quote user="Twitchy"]So second bid not good enough either then shame that, maybe we can get him on a free next year.[/quote]What makes you think we won''t bid again?

Seems we put in an initial offer of 1.5 million they want 3 million and our 2nd was 2 million. Meet in the middle at 2.5 then.

Maybe we will Prozac but McNally & Co. give the impression that they like to be the ones in control of things and if they feel Leeds are taking the piss just trying to sucker Norwich and others into a bidding war then we will probably start to look elsewhere.

[quote user="JF"]According to posters on WACCOE the new bid has been rejected.[/quote]The second bid has not been rejected and there is nothing on WACCOE to suggest this. Most Leeds fans think he will go, they seem more concerned with the non existent news about the takeover.I find it strange that if they are on the verge of a multi billion pound takeover by oil rich arabs why they don''t just tell us to F£%K OFF. The fact they are considering a bid suggests no takeover is imminent.

Yes there is on page 26 of the Snodgrass to Norwich post.

[quote user="JF"]Yes there is on page 26 of the Snodgrass to Norwich post.[/quote]Its an old quote from Warnock in relation to the original bid. There has been no official rejection of the second offer.In any event it won''t be Warnock who does the accepting or rejecting.

If he''s good enough for the prem, he must be worth more than the 3 million Leeds are asking. Just pay them the god damn asking price, and stop playing silly buggers before some other club come in for him!

Last summer we paid £2M odd apiece for Bennett & Pilkington neither of whom had played much (if at all) in the Champs. Snodgrass has had 2 good seasons in the Champs and has played for Scotland. If it takes £3M to sign him then we should simply stop mucking around pay up and look for a new striker and a couple of defenders. He would be a £5-6M player if he had 2 years on his contract. OK we might get him for £2M in Jan but a lot could happen between now and then!

I bought Snodgrass on FIFA 12, if NCFC do get him I hope he can do this in real life =D http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/127524741I hope we don''t pay over the odds for him, but I would say 3 million is fair, but no higher. I''m still slightly concerned about our defence, so hopefully after this we''ll start looking to strengthening the back. 

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Salopian"]

This seems to me unlikely on reflection, as we have just bought Butterfield, and we now have Wes, Surs, Pilks, Bennett, Johnson, Crofts, Howson, Fox,  Butterfield, Adeyemi, Korey, plus possibly Whittaker.

1) We have 11 above, plus possibly Martin C, - enough to man three four-man midfields, and nearly half the squad. Even if  CH dispenses with the services of one or two after his evaluation, how many do we need? There are other areas of the squad where we are short - only three/four strikers plus Martin, two RBs and one LB.

2) Would it be a good investment? Even if the player has only one more year on his contract, we are looking to pay £4m.

3) He is a good player, but is described as a winger without much pace. He is 24 but can he be developed further? Is it a risk to sign him uising a large part of our budget, or is this an attempt to buy survival?

[/quote]
1- Crofts, Lappin, Adeyami, Smith and maybe even Wes (perhaps an exchange + cash offer here?) are unlikely to be here this coming season- leaving us with, Butterfield, Pilky, Surman, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Fox - that is a very strong midfield and with Snodgrass could well be one of the best midfields we have ever had (sorry some of you old boys may disagree)
2 - great investment yes- we would get him cheap - only a year left on his contract and at 24 his value is only ever going to increase.
3 - not much pace you are right, but wont take a huge chunk of the budget (around 2-3M same as Howson) but he would greatly imporve our first 11- he is thought to be better than Howson up in Leeds and from watching Leeds he always appeared the better player - if you guys love Howson you are going to love Snodgrass
[/quote]

Point 3: Love them

??????  This is utter crap!

These are 2 good championship

players that you’ve watched in the championship, played well against lower

opposition and you come on here creating all this hype and making out they are

better than they actually are!

It happened with

Howson in January. Poster’s like yourself  and "smooth" feed us all this

bullshit of how wonderful he was – an attacking midfielder -  I didn’t know what to expect. I had this

notion he was going to cut the opposition to threads and score 2 or 3 goals every

game. The possibilities & excitement were mind blowing & overwhelming.

In the first game against Stoke I expected us to annihilate them – Howson was

in the attacking midfield role, what happens – we mustered one shot all game !

The goal that won it for Stoke was how I expected Howson to score a goal. Newcastle

– one of their defenders makes a blunder – Morrison sets up Howson for an open

goal. When I saw to ball passed to Howson I instinctively thought 1 – 1. Had to

make a second take, couldn’t believe it missed! Liverpool at home – you could

feel the game with over as soon as they scored.

We were 8th

solid on the ladder when Howson came into the side as attacking mid. With his signing

I dreamt of a top 6 finish. Sadly Lambert needed to reintroduce old formations again

to bring us goals.

Don’t get me wrong

I have great admiration for Howson, he has equal defensive and attacking ability,

fast, gives 100% or more effort in every match he played, and chases down other

peoples mistakes.  But overall I was

disappointed because of the expectation that was created – not his fault. He

could not break down these premiership defences. One pass to Morrison in the

Arsenal game just isn’t enough. Attacking mid is not Howson’s position, but he

does suit defensive mid.

Still they (posters)

continue – Howson will play for England, Howson should be captain, Howson would

have been play of the year if played more games, put into hall of fame – after 11

games !!!!!.  Howson to have”big” year

for us – I’ll believe when I see it !

So Snodgrass plays

for Scotland – is he an Archie Gemmill ? Have you made up your mind what

position he plays -  Wing? attacking mid?

– like Howson .

Where are the

other bidders ? Maybe after Howlett & Moses like we should be. You need to

come out of your fantasy, open your eyes, you’ll find you in the premiership !

I’m sick & tired of you talking up

players and “bashing” our best players.

I was looking through the Leeds and Liverpool

websites to search about Snodgrass & Pacheco and was surprise to learn that

the fans of these clubs consider Hoolahan as our best player. I know the guy’s

5 foot tall, has short back & sides and is over 30 and doesn’t look like a

footballer - but is that a reason to dislike him? When the majority of the

26,000 that attend our matches, Paul Lambert and third party/neutral fans think

he’s good, that’s good enough for me! You’re really pathetic! - everytime an

outfield player from another club is available he’s a possible replacement for

Hoolahan.

If you think you

could score 52 goals & amass 47 points without Hoolahan and the likes of Fox,

E Bennett & Pilkington your pissing into a 100 knot gale !!!

Stop talking up average players and stop

f*cking attacking the players that actually got us the points & 12th

place in the division!

Let alone got us into the premiership in

the first place!

Snodgrass strikes me a as a signing because it is a good deal rather than because we need him, but that''s not a knock against him.

We are very strong in midfield but given the chance to sign one of the best players in the Championship over the last couple of years for relative peanuts we should jump at the chance. Competition is usually a good thing and it gives us more options and insurance in case of injuries.

As for the post above saying we should be going for Moses instead, Wigan want 10m for Moses and half the time he is pretty useless. He''s basically a less talented N''Zogbia and I expect he''ll do about as well after he gets his big money move.

I think Snoddy would be a v good acquisition, he''s a winger and we''ve only got 2, Pilks and E Benno. Lets face it Leeds wanted to build their team around him and if Lambert wanted him that endorses the view that he must be good.

I agree that Hoolahan has been great for us, for my money we''re certainly not looking to replace him at the mo. However, he is most effective playing at the tip of the diamond, and CH has gone on record as saying he prefers 442 or 4411, so the latter would be Hooly''s best opportunity, playing off the striker, but he''s not as effective playing that role as the tip of the diamond due to his lack of pace. As the diamond has been our most effective formation for the last 3 seasons, CH will surely still use this from time to time and Wes will continue to shine.

Regarding the players rated most highly by opposition fans, there is an interesting thread on the West Ham fans message board asking them to nominate the opposition''s best player, and most in our case go for Holt, Ruddy & Pilkington with one or 2 saying Hoolahan.

I think Howson will be a great player for us, he has shown all the right attributes, but like everyone Neymar, Rooney etc, they all miss sitters from time to time.

Six Pack - Howson was superb last season and rightly was a guaranteed starter once he joined. I have no problem and greatly admire our championship squad and promotion squad but there is such need to improve. Howson a young player came in and walked into our first team he was an upgrade.Yes he did not score a hatful of goals but he and RB have had half a season to settle and over the next few years will develop into good players with a value that increases and ability that will improve. Howson should glimpses of what he can do and still stood out as our best central midfielder. He was, as every other player, playing to the system etc. Once he is given a little more of an attacking role he will have the goals etc. It took Hoolahan all season to begin to have some good stats.I will be hyper critical of our players, because you have to be in this league. You will be comparing our starting 11 to the other 20 teams starting 11 for quality. You do look to cover weaknesses and transfer windows allow you to do that, training does and we have seen players improve such as Hoolahan. It is interesting that people consider our best player to be our luxury player Hoolahan, I believe Pilky with a bigger role and can take that mantle. I just don''t think Hoolahan will be a starter next season and I do not think he is a player who warrants a starting position and plays better from the bench.Back to Snodgrass, he will walk into our first team plans. He has quality and our ethos set up by Lambert now can be added to by adding great players. In the past we added the best championship players to keep us up. Let''s hope we do this.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

While Purple Canary forgets the fact that a club with our resources and "gates" shouldn''t be getting relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in fifty years.

[/quote]

Probably not the best idea to try to guess what I forget and what I remember. As to your point, as I explained in a long post a few months ago  the surprise was not that we ended up in the third tier, but that we avoided that fate for so long. As shown by this list (which leaves out a few examples) of 24 similar-sized and bigger clubs who dropped down that far before we did:

Villa, Man City, Stoke, Fulham, Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn, WBA, Birmingham, Wolves, QPR, Forest, Leeds, Cardiff, Leicester, Burnley, Derby, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Sheffield Utd, Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.

[/quote]

Oh sorry I didn''t realise that you had posted months ago on this issue....may be you can provide readers a list of links to relevant posts when you post in future. Thanks.

Getting back to this thread, out of the list you provide Purple, I think you will find that QPR., Preston, Burnley and Blackpool probably had smaller resources / "gates" than us when they got relegated and there may be more in that list but I am not going to spend time working out which clubs had bigger or similar sized resources / "gates". 

We just drifted into the third tier of football, what caused the others to reach the third tier, superb leadership? 

[quote user="smooth"]I believe the spine ofthe team needs help, centre half, central midfield and striker. But I also agree full back may be needed as is a wide player.

[/quote]

Left back, centre back and a striker would be my priority followed by a pacy right back (may be Naughton in January 2013) , a pacy winger and a defensive midfield player.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

While Purple Canary forgets the fact that a club with our resources and "gates" shouldn''t be getting relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in fifty years.

[/quote]

Probably not the best idea to try to guess what I forget and what I remember. As to your point, as I explained in a long post a few months ago  the surprise was not that we ended up in the third tier, but that we avoided that fate for so long. As shown by this list (which leaves out a few examples) of 24 similar-sized and bigger clubs who dropped down that far before we did:

Villa, Man City, Stoke, Fulham, Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn, WBA, Birmingham, Wolves, QPR, Forest, Leeds, Cardiff, Leicester, Burnley, Derby, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Sheffield Utd, Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.

[/quote]

Oh sorry I didn''t realise that you had posted months ago on this issue....may be you can provide readers a list of links to relevant posts when you post in future. Thanks.

Getting back to this thread, out of the list you provide Purple, I think you will find that QPR., Preston, Burnley and Blackpool probably had smaller resources / "gates" than us when they got relegated and there may be more in that list but I am not going to spend time working out which clubs had bigger or similar sized resources / "gates". 

We just drifted into the third tier of football, what caused the others to reach the third tier, superb leadership? 

[/quote]

Well, that''s odd, because you contributed to that earlier thread although, sadly, not that constructively:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2463549/ShowPost.aspx

As for you deciding not to try to spend time working out if some of those other clubs on my list had smaller gates/resources than us, I am not surprised. A sensible decision. You know perfectly well that the other 20 clubs on that list of 24 that you haven''t mentioned are/were at least as big as us in in terms of which ever category you care to think about -  gates, money, resources, history, success etc, and several significantly bigger. Even those four you have picked out as smaller are/were only marginally so, if at all.

[quote user="Six Pack"]

Point 3: Love them

??????  This is utter crap!

These are 2 good championship

players that you’ve watched in the championship, played well against lower

opposition and you come on here creating all this hype and making out they are

better than they actually are!

It happened with

Howson in January. Poster’s like yourself  and "smooth" feed us all this

bullshit of how wonderful he was – an attacking midfielder -  I didn’t know what to expect. I had this

notion he was going to cut the opposition to threads and score 2 or 3 goals every

game. The possibilities & excitement were mind blowing & overwhelming.

In the first game against Stoke I expected us to annihilate them – Howson was

in the attacking midfield role, what happens – we mustered one shot all game !

The goal that won it for Stoke was how I expected Howson to score a goal. Newcastle

– one of their defenders makes a blunder – Morrison sets up Howson for an open

goal. When I saw to ball passed to Howson I instinctively thought 1 – 1. Had to

make a second take, couldn’t believe it missed! Liverpool at home – you could

feel the game with over as soon as they scored.

We were 8th

solid on the ladder when Howson came into the side as attacking mid. With his signing

I dreamt of a top 6 finish. Sadly Lambert needed to reintroduce old formations again

to bring us goals.

Don’t get me wrong

I have great admiration for Howson, he has equal defensive and attacking ability,

fast, gives 100% or more effort in every match he played, and chases down other

peoples mistakes.  But overall I was

disappointed because of the expectation that was created – not his fault. He

could not break down these premiership defences. One pass to Morrison in the

Arsenal game just isn’t enough. Attacking mid is not Howson’s position, but he

does suit defensive mid.

Still they (posters)

continue – Howson will play for England, Howson should be captain, Howson would

have been play of the year if played more games, put into hall of fame – after 11

games !!!!!.  Howson to have”big” year

for us – I’ll believe when I see it !

So Snodgrass plays

for Scotland – is he an Archie Gemmill ? Have you made up your mind what

position he plays -  Wing? attacking mid?

– like Howson .

Where are the

other bidders ? Maybe after Howlett & Moses like we should be. You need to

come out of your fantasy, open your eyes, you’ll find you in the premiership !

I’m sick & tired of you talking up

players and “bashing” our best players.

I was looking through the Leeds and Liverpool

websites to search about Snodgrass & Pacheco and was surprise to learn that

the fans of these clubs consider Hoolahan as our best player. I know the guy’s

5 foot tall, has short back & sides and is over 30 and doesn’t look like a

footballer - but is that a reason to dislike him? When the majority of the

26,000 that attend our matches, Paul Lambert and third party/neutral fans think

he’s good, that’s good enough for me! You’re really pathetic! - everytime an

outfield player from another club is available he’s a possible replacement for

Hoolahan.

If you think you

could score 52 goals & amass 47 points without Hoolahan and the likes of Fox,

E Bennett & Pilkington your pissing into a 100 knot gale !!!

Stop talking up average players and stop

f*cking attacking the players that actually got us the points & 12th

place in the division!

Let alone got us into the premiership in

the first place!

[/quote]Very, very good post. I think something else that people forget is that Wessi has shown a lot of loyalty to the club when he could have jumped ship.When we went to league 1 players like Lee Croft, Clingan and Marshall jumped ship. Wes could could have gone too but he held firm and stayed.One of our most important players in the Lambert era in my opinion.

O Six Pack, didn''t realise had caused you so much pain, there was a lot of anger in your post! But it''s good you take it out on here rather than the real world! Not sure your post really warrants a reply but i''ll give a serious reply a go, perhaps it will calm you down - i didn''t realise other people''s opinions about footballers can cause someone such emotional turmoil!
Living up in Leeds i get to see a fair few Leeds games and that has given me a good opportunity to comment on the signings we have made from there. Yes i did praise Howson before he came, but everything is relative, for our squad he was always going to be a huge improvement of what we have, he was never going to be a world beater because we are never going to have one of them in our team, but he is defiantly a classy prem footballer and yes he does have the potential to be an England player. He was one of our best players towards the end of the season- which is incredible for a player who only joined in January!
Snodgrass is the player i (and many leeds fans)  would regard as Leeds most influential player- he plays a similar role to Wes, slightly more advanced, while also being able to play as a winger. I believe he was one (if not the) of those top of the assists chart while also scoring around 10 goals. As many have stated already, he lacks serious pace but his quick feet and agility as well as a great footballing brain makes up for that. If he joins i am 100% sure he will be one of out top players next season.
Now on to our players, i am critical of players when they have a bad game coupled with a lack of effort - Morrison against Leicester or if i don''t think they are cut out for the prem - Ward or if i think they are a bit of a luxury player who we should cash in on - Wes. Now yes Wes has been loyal (although we have no idea if he has wanted to leave and offers haven''t come in or what the situation is there so we can''t all jump on the bandwagon that Wes is loyal since he stayed during our league 1 campaign) and has played some fantastic football for us, however i think he was much more effective in the lower leagues and can cost us possession too much in the prem.
When Wes is on his game he is good, really good, but for me he isn''t on his game enough and it actually a very predictable player (will always do a 360 degree turn on the ball) and lacks a killer ball, in fact i rarely seen Wes play that killer ball (i even think Lansbury played more while here). Now Wes is around 30 years old, his contract has not been renewed (fact!) and his value is just going to diminish, if Snodgrass joins we will have plenty of AMC and i expect Wes will have even less game time next season, so yes i would sell him this summer if given a chance.
Six Pack, our squad did amazing last season and i honestly doubt we can replicate that this season, i expect we will stay upp but i think the league will be tougher, if we were to sit on our laurels and not move our squad forward the team would stagnate and relegation would loom- a good prem team needs to continuously improve their 25 man squad to progress in this league- it''s the reason our stadium needs to expand as well - we can''t sit still and i am just glad the board and most fans realise that.
Anyway i suggest don''t listening to my appraisals of players and do one yourself, in fact if you don''t like opinions, i am not to sure this board if for you!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Left back, centre back and a striker would be my priority followed by a pacy right back (may be Naughton in January 2013) , a pacy winger and a defensive midfield player.[/quote]Hmm! Six players (over half the team) you want to replace. Along with the majority shareholders there''s not really a lot at Norwich City you like is there? [:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Left back, centre back and a striker would be my priority followed by a pacy right back (may be Naughton in January 2013) , a pacy winger and a defensive midfield player.[/quote]Hmm! Six players (over half the team) you want to replace. Along with the majority shareholders there''s not really a lot at Norwich City you like is there? [:^)][/quote]
I have to say i think Tangy is spot on with the positions that need improving. I would choose the same positions in the same order, it''s vital our defence shores up, we are limited with number of wingers, and we don''t have an out and out DM, Johnson is better at breaking play up, more of a ball winning midfielder.

Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? stated earlier:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I note that Purple Canary didn''t answer the above question.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

You are quite right. PurpleCanary didn''t answer that question. Because PurpleCanary didn''t understand it. Possibly PurpleCanary isn''t very bright. Or possibly PurpleCanary had dined too well. Or possibly the question was nonsensical. Possibly we shall never know. What PurpleCanary did at least do was to explode as totally absurd the attempt by Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? to try to portray Norwich City''s descent to the third tier as being exceptionally careless, whereas it was not only a commonplace fate for similar-sized clubs, but one also suffered by seriously bigger clubs.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

You are quite right. PurpleCanary didn''t answer that question. Because PurpleCanary didn''t understand it. Possibly PurpleCanary isn''t very bright. Or possibly PurpleCanary had dined too well. Or possibly the question was nonsensical. Possibly we shall never know. What PurpleCanary did at least do was to explode as totally absurd the attempt by Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? to try to portray Norwich City''s descent to the third tier as being exceptionally careless, whereas it was not only a commonplace fate for similar-sized clubs, but one also suffered by seriously bigger clubs.

[/quote]

But these clubs dont drop to the third tier of football by random chance do they?

Carry on squirming!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But these clubs dont drop to the third tier of football by random chance do they?

Carry on squirming!

[/quote]

Tangible, dear boy, I am not squirming. I am far from squirming. I simply don''t - and not for the first time - have a clue what point it is you are trying to make. I really, really don''t. If you ever stopped coming up with these gnomic rhetorical one-liner questions and remarks and actually formulated a step by step argument it might help. But that seems not to be your inclination, or perhaps your forte.