Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

villa havent announced lambert....

[quote user="Dodds"]Yes by a few hundred. The vast majority swallowed the worst football since 1987 before finally expressing their feelings. Given that we had seen our last win of the season by that point, 7 in total and only 4 at home, then that to me states patience.[/quote] YAWN i hope he takes you down and stranger things have happened. Thats even if he signs for you seems funny ogs and martinez didnt want it. especially OGS i thought he would have jumped at the chance but something was said that put him off and this might happen with Lambert yet. Oh how ironic he doesnt take the job but goes to West |Brom and sends you down last day of next season snigger snigger

Dodds, I think you''re in for a shock.  Lambert was getting alot of criticism for team selection/tactics in some games last season.   It was a bit hit and miss to be honest.   When it was right it was very good, but equally there were games where you thought - does this man know what he''s doing.  He''s still learning - you are going to need your patience, I think.       He will  mix the squad, rotate it at a bewildering rate - not always with good results - sometimes we were asking as fans - just what is he doing?     Ecstatic at the progress we''ve made in three years - but it was a combination of circumstances that led to it, not just Lambert''s arrival.   To start with we are a well run club and we had signed a secret weapon in Grant Holt (not signed ny Lambert, btw).     Just saying, but PL is not the finished article.    

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Dodds, I think you''re in for a shock.  Lambert was getting alot of criticism for team selection/tactics in some games last season.   It was a bit hit and miss to be honest.   When it was right it was very good, but equally there were games where you thought - does this man know what he''s doing.  He''s still learning - you are going to need your patience, I think.       He will  mix the squad, rotate it at a bewildering rate - not always with good results - sometimes we were asking as fans - just what is he doing?     Ecstatic at the progress we''ve made in three years - but it was a combination of circumstances that led to it, not just Lambert''s arrival.   To start with we are a well run club and we had signed a secret weapon in Grant Holt (not signed ny Lambert, btw).     Just saying, but PL is not the finished article.     [/quote] Excellent post LDC

Martinez and OGS cannot turn dow what hasn''t been offered.

The pull of the Villa is huge. We looked at Sunderlands best player and he came sprinting to us. Lambert wanted to come so badly he resigned.

[quote user="Dodds"]Martinez and OGS cannot turn dow what hasn''t been offered.

The pull of the Villa is huge. We looked at Sunderlands best player and he came sprinting to us. Lambert wanted to come so badly he resigned.[/quote]
Darren Bent has a history of leaving a club when his form dips. He signed for Villa as soon as his formed dipped at Sunderland, you were just the first club to bid for him.

Lake District, I think we will love a manager that uses his squad! Looking at yours it seems a big mixture of youth and players who did it at lower levels. The fact he got you to where you did, with style and a belief that you could go anywhere and beat anybody is a testament to his ability.

Well now Doddy, he did triffic for us. But he took over a club 45 places below it''s realistic level so that helped. You''re about half a dozen places below your true level so he will have to over achieve to impress. Could well be tears for souvenirs buddy.

[quote user="Dodds"]Lake District, I think we will love a manager that uses his squad! Looking at yours it seems a big mixture of youth and players who did it at lower levels. The fact he got you to where you did, with style and a belief that you could go anywhere and beat anybody is a testament to his ability.[/quote]In a way, I''m gutted you''ve released Heskey as Lambert would have turned him into a 20 goal a year striking machine.What''s happened to Fabien Delph, by the way? - or is he not as good as first thought?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well now Doddy, he did triffic for us. But he took over a club 45 places below it''s realistic level so that helped. Could well be tears for souvenirs buddy.[/quote]

Diddy ?

No Doddy boom boom !

[quote user="Dodds"]Martinez and OGS cannot turn dow what hasn''t been offered.

The pull of the Villa is huge. We looked at Sunderlands best player and he came sprinting to us. Lambert wanted to come so badly he resigned.[/quote]yes.. he cam sprinting to join a team that only just escaped relegation.. Funny how he could have stayed at Sunderland and been managed by the best manager Villa have had in decades but let go.Sunderland also finished above you, partly thanks to the goals of a striker who has been injured for the best part of 2 years....

Best Villa manager in decades? O''Neill? Really? Nope. Atkinson competed for the title and won a trophy. Little finished 4th and 5th and won a trophy. O''Neill was like Gregory. Finished sixth alot and spent alot but won nowt. I liked both mind.

And yes we clicked our fingers and Bent came running.

wouldn''t have anything to do with the fact that Villa were gonna pay him more would it? No of course not!!!! Bit like Lambert really, he may excite you, but that isn''t difficult after McLeish TBH, but as soon as somebody bigger than yourselves want him like Birmingham, he will be off like a rat on a sinking ship as he was with colchester and us!! enjoy it while you can!!!

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Dodds, I think you''re in for a shock.  Lambert was getting alot of criticism for team selection/tactics in some games last season.   It was a bit hit and miss to be honest.   When it was right it was very good, but equally there were games where you thought - does this man know what he''s doing.  He''s still learning - you are going to need your patience, I think.       He will  mix the squad, rotate it at a bewildering rate - not always with good results - sometimes we were asking as fans - just what is he doing?     Ecstatic at the progress we''ve made in three years - but it was a combination of circumstances that led to it, not just Lambert''s arrival.   To start with we are a well run club and we had signed a secret weapon in Grant Holt (not signed ny Lambert, btw).     Just saying, but PL is not the finished article.    

[/quote]

This is something that has puzzled me as a Col U fan -all this talk from the Villa fans that they are getting a manager who "Plays the right way" -My recollection is as described above - when he got us playing well, we were very good (opening game of the 09/10 season for example!!) but it was often hit and miss, and sometimes not very exciting at all (mind you, still thrilling compared to what Boothroyd served up afterwards!). I''m not entirely convinced that Villa are going to get the "beautiful game" they''re expecting

[quote user="Dodds"]Big clubs pay more in wages? How insightful.[/quote]look at it like this Dodds.. Paul Lambert left Wycombe to join a perceived bigger club, he left colchester to join a perceived "Bigger club" after a succesful season, he has left Norwich City to join a perceived "Bigger club" at Villa... if he takes you to a cup final or europe next season you will see Lamberts true colours for who he really is....2 seasons Max... before he leaves again to join a "Bigger" club.. as soon as Dortmund come calling he''s off.... we''ll finish above you next season..."He''s not the messiah..... but he likes to think he is..."

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Has Lambert totally cocked up?

[/quote]

I''d assume it''s just the bank holiday weekend holding things up, although it would be nice if it''s because they''ve cocked it up. Might be waiting to sort out Culverhouse and Karsa too.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]1pm tomorrow.[/quote]BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This thread is a bit odd. Villa announced Lambert as their new manager on their own website last Friday!.

The only reason they delayed the actual press conference was to avoid clashing with the jubilee and bank holiday.

Football and press folks have holidays too. He will be formerly paraded to the press at 1pm tomorrow along with the confirmation that Culverhouse & Karsa have also gone with him

Good for you! Let''s see how they fare when expectation is presumably higher - I''m not actually that convinced, you could see at times last season that he didn''t like it when supporters got ''antsy''. I am still surprised that such a big club wants someone with only one PL season under his belt and no pedigree dealing with ''big'' players, but I guess we''ll see how it goes!

Most Villa supporters seem to want a top half finish next season and some exciting football. Seems a very reasonable expectation.

Any half decent manager should get their team into the top half of the table at the very least. With the purse strings loosened (midland rumour mill between 20 and 30m to spend) a top 8 finish could happen. But none of the Villa supporters I know have set a ''target''. They just want to enjoy going back to Villa Park week in week out after 2 seasons of garbage.

Having Darren Bent fit would help them achieve better things too of course