Sign in to follow this  
The Young One

Likely targets/players within our reach) for summer 2012

I,ve considered some players who will be within our reach and would add to the team we already have.Rhodes- Huddersfield  (Possibly over valued and untried above League 1) = 4-5 millionFletcher- WolvesDoyle- WolvesRodriquez- Burnley  Snodgrass- Leeds. Ideally I would like Fletcher, Doyle, Snodgrass and RodriquesAny suggestions ?

I,ve considered some players who will be within our reach and would add to the team we already have.Rhodes- Huddersfield  (Possibly over valued and untried above League 1) = 4-5 millionFletcher- WolvesDoyle- WolvesRodriquez- Burnley  Snodgrass- Leeds. Ideally I would like Fletcher, Doyle, Snodgrass and RodriquesAny suggestions ?

So you want 3 strikers and an attacking midfielder?

I''d take Fletcher and Snodgrass as I believe they would both offer fantastic options going forward (but I think Fletcher would be a little pricey, they paid a fair whack).

Then I''d try EVERYTHING I could to buy Naughton (looks unlikely though..) and another centre back but I have no idea who!

I think we will see 4-5 new players in the summer and I think all will be pushing for the starting 11 and not just be squad players.

Bryan Gunn said on the radio that there''s talk of Danny Murphy and Mathew Upson joining the club.The players being linked areFraser ForsterMathew UpsonChris GunterKyle NaughtonJoe BennettAiden WhiteDanny MurphyGarath McClearyEmmanuel FrimpongRobert SnodgrassMatt PhillipsFraser FyvieJordan RhodesJay RodriguezChris Wood

The ones I would go for areMatthew UpsonChris GunterGarath McClearyDanny MurphyEmmanuel Frimpong (on-loan when he is fit)Jordan RhodesGylfi Sigurdsson

Some of these players are obviously out of reach due to being in the same league as us next season, bigger clubs being interested or other unforeseen complications such as custodial sentances. But the PFA team of the year is always a decent indication of who we could potentially make a play for:

PFA Championship team of the year: K Davis, Clyne, Tomkins, C Davies, Harte, Lallana, Whittingham, Noble, M Phillips, Lambert, J Rodriguez.

PFA League 1 Team of the year: B Hamer, J Hunt, M Morrison, H Maguire, R Wiggins, J Jackson, S Quinn, S Gleeson, D Potter, J Rhodes, C Evans.

"

Bryan Gunn said on the radio that there''s talk of Danny Murphy and Mathew Upson joining the club."Both seem to be the opposite of what Lambert would usually look to bring in.  Decent professionals at the level though - would probably cost a bit ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"

Bryan Gunn said on the radio that there''s talk of Danny Murphy and Mathew Upson joining the club."Both seem to be the opposite of what Lambert would usually look to bring in.  Decent professionals at the level though - would probably cost a bit ?[/quote]Lambert has been hinting that he might have to change his recreitment.It is thought that Upson would cost 500k and Murphy would be out of contract.

Would in no way want Upson, he''s had a shocking season at Stoke and is certainly no better than what we already have.

Murphy would add an experienced head but would want decent wages - not sure how much he has left in the tank to be honest, doesn''t seem like the type of midfielder Lambert generally goes for who are full of running.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Bryan Gunn said on the radio that there''s talk of Danny Murphy and Mathew Upson joining the club.

The players being linked are

Fraser Forster

Mathew Upson

Chris Gunter

Kyle Naughton

Joe Bennett

Aiden White

Danny Murphy

Garath McCleary

Emmanuel Frimpong

Robert Snodgrass

Matt Phillips

Fraser Fyvie

Jordan Rhodes

Jay Rodriguez

Chris Wood

[/quote] Well...I hope we can keep Naughton, realistically...GUNTER and PHILLIPS...hopefully RODRIGUEZ

" Lambert has been hinting that he might have to change his recreitment.It is thought that Upson would cost 500k and Murphy would be out of contract."As Bethnal said, it would be the wages that might be the stumbling block there.  Thanks for the tip-off though, it''s going to be an interesting summer of stick or twist with new cash becoming available. ( I think there is more available to a team who has been through 1 cycle of Premiership than for newly promoted teams - could be wrong there. )

Rhodes hasn''t scored in his last 4 games in a very poor League 1 this season, so 4-5 million is well over his value IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"]Rhodes hasn''t scored in his last 4 games in a very poor League 1 this season, so 4-5 million is well over his value IMO.[/quote]

You judge players over a longer period of time than 4 games.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Rhodes hasn''t scored in his last 4 games in a very poor League 1 this season, so 4-5 million is well over his value IMO.[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed, and also not just on one very good season in a weak League 1 !! 

There were many Premiership clubs and managers who checked Rhodes out before the January deadline and none seemed to want to make an offer. Perhaps they, like me, think he would be a massive gamble and perhaps not as good as he looks in League One.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]There were many Premiership clubs and managers who checked Rhodes out before the January deadline and none seemed to want to make an offer. Perhaps they, like me, think he would be a massive gamble and perhaps not as good as he looks in League One.[/quote]

... and does anybody remember a certain CMS !!!!

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]This is coming from a guy who raves about a player who had one good season in league 2!! I think Rhodes would be an excellent additon if we could get him, for me he would replace Morrison and i would want another striker to come in too, one whose got a bit of pace about him

if Blackburn drop we should go for the Yak.he might be what, 34? 35 now? but a season like he has had this year will take the pressure off Holty a little bit. plus he has seen it and done it in the top flight with Blakcburn, Everton and Pompey. not so much of a risk as the untried and untested

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is coming from a guy who raves about a player who had one good season in league 2!! I think Rhodes would be an excellent additon if we could get him, for me he would replace Morrison and i would want another striker to come in too, one whose got a bit of pace about him
[/quote]

Yeah, but also from a guy that was adamant that Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson would do no better than Cody in the Prem, and events have proven me right.  Rhodes is probably not up to the Prem but I would give him a chance at the right price, IMO up to 2 million plus good add-ons for success to reduce our risk.  

Events have proven you right? In what possible way can you think that? Cody is a League One player next season, Martin got a run of games in this league and Jackson has scored twice in the league. Yes events have definatly proven you right...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Events have proven you right? In what possible way can you think that? Cody is a League One player next season, Martin got a run of games in this league and Jackson has scored twice in the league. Yes events have definatly proven you right...[/quote]

... because Cody would have scored at least two goals in the games Jackson and Martin had, not least because he can head a ball and has pace.  Simples !!!  

Do you really think that?

Your amazing, I know everyone (me very much included) talks rubbish/has strange views... But how on earth can you come to that conclusion? Your just making stuff up based on your opinion of him, and acting like they are facts. The FACT is, Cody Macdonald left a team promoted to the Premiership, after a decent season in League Two and a few decent games in LEague One and Championship for us, to join a team who have been one of the worst in the league this season, are going down to League One, and I would not be surprised if he doesn''t leave them.

Murphy seems to have been around many years. How old is he?

I live 20 miles from Wolverhampton, and my sons supports them, so I sometimes read reports in our local paper. I get the impression that while Doyle is very hard working, a real bundle of energy, Fletcher is the better goal scorer. Given good service and on form, the latter will produce more goals. But, as others have said, could we afford Fletcher?

Rhodes might be worth a punt at, say £2.5m. He certainly seems to know where the goal is. I know nothing about him, other than the fact that he is more consistent in hitting the target than anyone we have currently. Rodrigues is reputed to lack pace but, again, he seems to make chances count, which is better than we have at the moment. He is in a fairly ordinary side as well. How well he could make the step up, who knows?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if Blackburn drop we should go for the Yak. he might be what, 34? 35 now?

[/quote]

I think he''s around ten years younger than Kanu. Which makes him about 45 [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if Blackburn drop we should go for the Yak. he might be what, 34? 35 now?

[/quote]

I think he''s around ten years younger than Kanu. Which makes him about 45 [;)]

[/quote]

When Yak played for Maccabi Haifa in Israel he was registered with a DOB of 22nd Nov 1977, this suddenly became 22nd Nov 1982 when he was signed by Portsmouth. Not that good old ''onest ''Arry had anything to do with this I''m sure.

And also, Paul, don''t you think its a bit ridiculous you have such a reputation for your over the top love for Cody that nearly every thread you post in, ends up with Cody coming into it, either from you or someone else using it to taunt you.

Interesting thought from everyone.I don''t really think we should be going for someone like Yak, would much rather us sign someone with the future in mind as well/Seems Like we have the following strong candiates Snodgrass (contract running down,will become cheaper)  possible 3mill-4 millRodriquez- Burnley 3milFletcher - Wolves 4-5 mill (wolves paid 6.5 mill)Naughton- Spurs  2-3 millionRhodes- Huddersfield  4 mill Gunter - Forest 2 millPhilips - Blackpool 3-5 mill 

Would love to haveSnodgrassFletcherRodriquezNaughtonPlus one other defender not sure who, possibly a season long loanTo ship outMartinWilbrahamBarnettwe need to build a stronger team

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Events have proven you right? In what possible way can you think that? Cody is a League One player next season, Martin got a run of games in this league and Jackson has scored twice in the league. Yes events have definatly proven you right...[/quote]

... because Cody would have scored at least two goals in the games Jackson and Martin had, not least because he can head a ball and has pace.  Simples !!!  

[/quote]

oh dear sir. suggesting cody is as good as jackson is funny.

anyway, i would personally try to get snoddy, naughton (gunter if not), a replacement for drury as i believe lambert may not renew his contract and another striker.