Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Could we have won the premiership for Citeh?

If they win today and against Utd next week, they will be on top of the league by 4 goals. Those last 20 minutes could prove to be very significant.

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, I''ve got a feeling that City will do it and it can only be good for the Prem IMO.[/quote]Because it proves that all you have to do is get a mega rich benefactor to win the league?

Could we have won the premiership for Citeh?
Strange question.  Surely Man City are going to win it for themselves if they can beat Man U at the Etihad?  How did "we win it" for them?

So many ifs, buts and maybes. Could Ji Dong Wong have won for United when he scored for Sunderland completely against the run of play against Man City. Has Tevez lost it for them by going AWOL for 6 months? Did Fellaini potentially win it for Man City with a fantastic display today.

.. and could we have played an extra  part in relegating QPR as City will need to beat them in their last game.

If they win it on goal difference then surly it would be the 6 they put past Man U that would be the difference?

Or maybe Man City will have won the Premiership for themselves by having the best league record over the season.  Or maybe Man Utd will. 

Surely the few hundred million pounds worth of talent may have helped them?!

I hope Man United win it.I hate this new billion pound Manchester City.  I particularly hate the fact they are hoovering up the best English talent (Milner, Johnson, Lescott, Richards) and then using them as squad players.  In the case of Milner and Johnson I think it''s pretty pathetic that when they could get a first team game every week in any other Premiership team, they''d rather pick up a big paycheque every week and sit in the reserves or on the bench, and shows what limited desire they have to make the most of their talent and show everyone what they can do.  I respect SAF''s achievements greatly and think Mancini is a whining tosspot.

If ManC win the league I think their win against City will be seen as a key result as it bolstered their momentum and giving them a goal difference advantage.   As will ManU crumpling yesterday and failing to hold a 2 goal lead with 7 mins to go.

I have mixed feelings about this but overall I''d prefer ManC to win just because it woudl be boring for Man U to win again, also there are plenty of plastic ManU fans where I work and it woulnd''t hurt for them to miss out.  Particularly when a couple of weeks back it seemed all over and normally you''d bet on ManU to see it through over the last few games if they''re in front.

The more competition the better. Until the Financial Fair Play rules come in we have to accept that all top clubs can ''buy'' the title. I''m happy to see another club break the Manure-Chelski monopoly regardless of how they achieved it.   

One thing is for certain, yesterday''s results have guaranteed an exciting finish to the race for the title. It will be "game on!" (as Worthy might have said) at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday. There will be a few squeaky bums there, and Fergie''s jaw will be masticating on that gum at a furious rate!

Ref my original message...of course there is no one game/event that leads to a Championship. My point is that if we had not collapsed and lost only 2-1, City''s goal difference would be only 2 better that Utd''s, rather than 6 and in such a case even a win for City in the derby next week might not have been enough for them to win the title. As it is, whoever wins will be heavy favourites. The healthy boost to their goal difference we gave them might well be looked back on as the moment that the improbable became possible.

..and yes, the same could be said for the two late Everton goals etc etc etc. Just saying that we have contributed mightily to the big finish up at the top.

As a club, i prefer Man U, but there''s nothing better than seeing a Man U fan after they''ve lost. They think they are above other fans and think we''re deluded for supporting a team that doesn''t win all the time. It''d be nice to see them suffer. As Man City are the only team to make that happen, it''d be nice to see them do it, even if they have bought their way to the title.

I admire Sir Alex for all his achievements though and have the utmost respect for him as a manager.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I hope Man United win it.I hate this new billion pound Manchester City.  I particularly hate the fact they are hoovering up the best English talent (Milner, Johnson, Lescott, Richards) and then using them as squad players.  In the case of Milner and Johnson I think it''s pretty pathetic that when they could get a first team game every week in any other Premiership team, they''d rather pick up a big paycheque every week and sit in the reserves or on the bench, and shows what limited desire they have to make the most of their talent and show everyone what they can do.  I respect SAF''s achievements greatly and think Mancini is a whining tosspot.[/quote]

Of course I had forgotten Man Utd operate on a shoestring budget. The bargain buys over the years of David De Gea for £20 million, Rio Ferdinand for £30 million, Michael Carrick for £15 million, Antonio Valencia for £16 million, Nani for around £14 million, Wayne Rooney for around £26 million, Ashley Young for £16 million, Phil Jones for £16 million and Dimitar Berbatov for £30 million has been absolutely outstanding. What is the difference between the two. The only difference seems to be that because Man Utd are one of the established big hitters people feel they have a sense of "entitlement" to spend that money while others like Man City are ridiculed for it.

What do you mean Man City hoover up all the best English talent? All the big clubs poach youngsters in the hope they are acquiring the next bright young thing. Liverpool recently poached Raheem Stirling off QPR and they also got Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton who is now festering on the bench when he could be playing games developing. What about Man Utd who have famously poached a Norwich junior called Kalum Mooniaruck and offered him all kinds of incentives including flying him to and from Manchester for training. His career may amounted to absolutely nothing but that wasn''t the point. The whole thing stank and was a prime example of Man Utd doing exactly what you have accused Man City off. Big clubs stockpiling all the best talent in the hope that if you chuck enough of it at a wall some of it will stick has been a problem for years. With these new academy ruling the problem will only get worse as well because club can take youngsters for a fraction of their true value.

I find it very convenient as well that you have managed to leave out Joe Hart from this argument as well. Man City signed a promising young keeper from the lower leagues for £600k. Even when they signed Shay Given, Hart after his loan spell at Birmingham was judged on merit and not transfer fee. He rightly displaced Given and Man City have subsequnetly allowed him the platform to blossom into England''s number 1 goalkeeper for next 10 years or so. Richards and Lescott has played in the majority of games they have been available for this season. So I dont see how the are mere squad players either.

Ferguson is an absolute genius of a manager but he is as bigger moaner as they come. I found the cosy banter he was having with the 4th official about his magic stopwatch absolutely nausiating. There are a lot of things about Man City which I dont like and are indicative of what is wrong with the modern game. But focusing just solely on them and using the money as a stick to beat them with is incredibly unfair. Particularly when you consider the owners are also investing £1 billion into regenerated one of the most deprived and run down parts of Manchester. That is surely to be applauded as well. Good luck to them I say.

I would rather City won the title. I hate how most United fans have this sense of arrogance and feel they have a divine righht to do whatever they want to win. City fans have been through more over the years. City only spent 170 million more than United over the last 19 or 20 seasons. They are trying to build like united have done but are doing it over a very short period of time.

dpit in having another snide dig at Citywell wellwhatever next I ask

Balotelli''s helped them by getting sent off a second time and getting a four game ban. Had he played and Tevez not it would have been so different against us and Wolves. Playing with him is like playing with ten men, the sooner they get rid the better.

He''s like Cantona without enough talent, he would never get in our team.