Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Will Grant Holt get an England call up for Euro 2012?

I think under Pearce, then no, under Harry, then yes.This summer''s tournament was suppose to be for Capello to bring some youth through and show what we have. However, i think that aim may have changed a bit due to the uncertainty about who is going to manage. If it''s pearce then the youth thing will shine through and i imagine Holt will miss out to the likes of Welbeck, Campbell and someother crap. I think another manger may see the Euro''s as a chance to play form players and just give it a real go because there are low expectations now.Now Holt deserves his chance without a doubt and imagine seeing him tear the French defence to parts, it would be great. In fact the only chance the Euro''s are really going to interest me this year is if i see Holt lining up- it would be great to get excited by international football again.I really do not get why holt and Graham didn''t get a call up for the last friendly after all the injuries and Rooney being banned for the first 2 games of the tournament.I wish Crouch hadn''t scored that wondergoal, knowing English managers it may be enough to get him call up!RooneySturridgeHoltDefoe (i know he hasn''t played much but he knows where the goal is)no idea, shame Gabriel Agbonlehor? (no idea how to spell that) hasn''t carried on his early season form

[quote user="lake district canary"]

quote user "The Pink''un Role Model" - "Absolutely not chance what so ever.  Purely because in international football refs clamp down on ''rough and tumble'' burly forwards.  I remember not too long back, a couple of matches Crouch couldn''t do **** all in a game, because each time he jumped for a challenge he was penalised every single time.  The same would happen to Holt."

Sorry, RM,  but Grant Holt is not a ''rough and tumble burly forward''.   He is far more than that.   He does occasionally overstep the mark in his tackling, but doesn''t do that all the time, or even every match.   As for his forward play, he is unstoppable when he focuses on the ball.   It''s not rough, its called desire.

Credit where credit is due.

[/quote]It''s just a matter of opinion.  He''s often described in reports as an ''old fashioned forward'' some have even used the phrase ''battering ram''.  Even I know he''s more than a battering ram, but having said that. If Grant Holt didn''t play in the physical way he does, he wouldn''t be where he is today imo.Put it this way, if Holt was around the top flight 5-6 years ago, he''d be picked for England over Heskey no danger. 

Harry Redknapp plucked a "useless" Louis Saha from Everton and turned him into a goal machine.  He would consider all options, including Holt, and Holt''s work rate and willingness to put in 100% would put him above a number of "more illustrious" strikers such as Bobby "Spine Transplant" Zamora.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/25/norwich-wolverhampton-wanderers-premier-league-report?

Headline:

"Norwich''s Grant Holt shows deft touch worthy of an England striker"

The Word On The Street is out ...

[quote user="ron obvious"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/25/norwich-wolverhampton-wanderers-premier-league-report? Headline: "Norwich''s Grant Holt shows deft touch worthy of an England striker" The Word On The Street is out ...[/quote]

And The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/holt-presses-england-claims-at-double-7584853.html

Headline: ''Holt presses England claims at double''.

The talk is serious: Grant Holt is a genuine candidate to go to Euro 2012 with England. And if he is not, he ought to be.

The pressure is building.

OTBC

Someone start a ''Holt for England'' facebook group if there isn''t one already.Let''s bombard the media with him til they get the message.

He is definitely not going to get called up. Should he be? On current form definitely. Second highest English goalscorer, who brings a lot of other all round attributes to the table. He is also deceptively skilful as the way he took the goals at Everton and against Wolves yesterday showed. But the management will play it safe and take Crouch. Particularly after that worldie he scored against Man City.

Quote from Foxy

“Sometimes when you see him in training you wonder how he has ever scored a goal. But on a Saturday he’s unbelievable and that’s all people want to see.”

Just imagine what he might be capable of if he was willing to put in a stint at training. The fact that he is allowed to get away with this speaks volumes about the regard he is held in at CR. Ron Saunders would have shipped him out of the door in moments.

Reading that quote again, I''m not sure whether Fox is referring to his ability or work ethic.

I know exactly what Fox means.   He is referring to the fact that Holt does it when it matters.    He will work hard in training but not show any great skill or particular ability.   But when it counts he will do the business.  Holt doesn''t so much try to score goals.  He simply puts the ball in the net.  Its an important psychological difference.   You see other stikers try headers, shots etc and they will miss the target more than they will get on target.  I don''t know the stats for Holt, but I would guess his ''on target'' ratio would be pretty high.   

Because of his focus on ''putting the ball in the net''  he will do everthing in his power to achieve that - strength, guile, skill - he will do whatever is necessary to ''put the ball in the net''.     That is why he has achieved at every level - and that is why he would do well for England, given the chance - because its just another game of football where he can do what he does - put the ball in the net. 

Absolutely no chance. Should he? Yes. Will he? Nope.

Unfortunately the football world doesn''t work like Championship Manager. Holt is worthy of being in contention as the second-highest scoring Englishman in the Premiership and adding something completely different to our game but he''s been pinned down as a ''fat former tyre fitter'' and he''ll never get in. Prior to the Holland game, a few forwards pulled out and we only had three in the squad and Pearce flat-out refused to call anyone else up. Ahead of Holty in the queue will be Defoe, Carroll, Crouch, Walcott, Wellbeck, Campbell, Abonglahor, Sturridge and, of course, Rooney. Heskey and Kevin Davies are probably even further ahead. It''s not fair but international football seems to work like an old-boys network or if you play for a top-six club.

Similarly I think Swansea''s Graham and Dyer should be given a go. But they won''t

Although more of a travesty than Holt''s exclusion is Ruddy''s

It would be great if Holt were to be picked for the squad for the Euros, he has certainly earned the right to be taken seriously with his goals and performances this season.  But I doubt he will, simply because he''s picked up 3 red cards this season.  In tournament football, you just can''t take the risk of picking a player who might leave you with 10 men on the pitch.  Given that Rooney is also going and will be suspended for the first 2 games, all strikers will need to be available for every game.

whilst Holt might not ever get an England Call up, it makes me very proud to hear his name mentioned with england and the euros.Grant has nothing to prove to anyone now, unfortunately the "tried and tested" (or should that be "tried and failed?) will be picked for the euros.Holty will be watching it on TV like the rest of us, I wonder if there will be moments a cross will be sent in and we will all be thinking Holt would have buried it....one chance is all he needs....if he scores that makes a statement... and score he will of this i have no doubt!

This thread has just reminded me of similar debates in the early 90s when we took the EPL by storm.  Albeit not on the web then. Football fans were asking, (not just ours) why Norwich didn''t have more international call-ups, when mid division teams and below did.  I believe the general conclusion was, we just weren''t fashionable enough.It''s a sad sad fact, some teams are considered ''great'' even though their positions suggest not.   Take Greeno, when we were Championship it was next to impossible for him to get a call up at first.  Now he''s at Wet Spam he gets the nod in front of Ruddy, when Ruddy has won us points with some blinding saves that many thought were international class stops.The enigma is, how do you make Norwich more fashionable?  Stay in the EDL that''s for certain. And whether we need a ready made ''face'' to sign for us.  Same way players like Peters and Hucks did in the past, they took us up a couple of rungs just by being here.

"The enigma is, how do you make Norwich more fashionable?"Move the club 100 miles nearer to London.  Maybe we''ll get more call-ups after the A11 is dualled ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]whilst Holt might not ever get an England Call up, it makes me very proud to hear his name mentioned with england and the euros.Grant has nothing to prove to anyone now, unfortunately the "tried and tested" (or should that be "tried and failed?) will be picked for the euros.Holty will be watching it on TV like the rest of us, I wonder if there will be moments a cross will be sent in and we will all be thinking Holt would have buried it....one chance is all he needs....if he scores that makes a statement... and score he will of this i have no doubt![/quote]He thinks he still has, he wants to prove he can go one small step further and show he can perform just as well at international level.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I know exactly what Fox means.   He is referring to the fact that Holt does it when it matters.    He will work hard in training but not show any great skill or particular ability.   But when it counts he will do the business.  Holt doesn''t so much try to score goals.  He simply puts the ball in the net.  Its an important psychological difference.   You see other stikers try headers, shots etc and they will miss the target more than they will get on target.  I don''t know the stats for Holt, but I would guess his ''on target'' ratio would be pretty high.   

Because of his focus on ''putting the ball in the net''  he will do everthing in his power to achieve that - strength, guile, skill - he will do whatever is necessary to ''put the ball in the net''.     That is why he has achieved at every level - and that is why he would do well for England, given the chance - because its just another game of football where he can do what he does - put the ball in the net. 

[/quote]......i saw the stats yesterday and his scoring rate is exactly the same as a certain RVP. which in my mind puts him in the top bracket of strikers. but also shows just how many chances RVP gets.[H]

Given the usual short-sightedness of England managers it is hard to see him getting a chance.

Get someone in who is his own man and not afraid to shake things up a bit then things could be a bit different.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"The enigma is, how do you make Norwich more fashionable?"Move the club 100 miles nearer to London.  Maybe we''ll get more call-ups after the A11 is dualled ?[/quote]Yeah maybe we need to produce our own maps.  You know like the old ones during the time of the Empire where Great Britain was made to look like it was the size of Europe.  Make a map that expands Norwich and Norfolk to make it look like a five minute walk to London.  When McNally speaks to the agents, he can do that thing with his thumb and finger and say, ''heck we''re only that far from London''. While craftily showing them the map to prove it.  The beauty of maps is, these days since sat-navs nobody under 24 has ever seen one.

[quote user="GJP"]

Given the usual short-sightedness of England managers it is hard to see him getting a chance.

Get someone in who is his own man and not afraid to shake things up a bit then things could be a bit different.

[/quote]Lambert it is then[;)]

I think he''d like to:-

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/norwich-city/120326/exclusive-holt-believes-he-can-win-england-call-168305

[quote user="The Pink''un Role Model "This thread has just reminded me of similar debates in the early 90s when we took the EPL by storm.  Albeit not on the web then. Football fans were asking, (not just ours) why Norwich didn''t have more international call-ups, when mid division teams and below did.  I believe the general conclusion was, we just weren''t fashionable enough.It''s a sad sad fact, some teams are considered ''great'' even though their positions suggest not.   Take Greeno, when we were Championship it was next to impossible for him to get a call up at first.  Now he''s at Wet Spam he gets the nod in front of Ruddy, when Ruddy has won us points with some blinding saves that many thought were international class stops.The enigma is, how do you make Norwich more fashionable?  Stay in the EDL that''s for certain. And whether we need a ready made ''face'' to sign for us.  Same way players like Peters and Hucks did in the past, they took us up a couple of rungs just by being here.

I hope you mean EPL not EDL ;)

[quote user="Rivvo"][quote user="The Pink''un Role Model "This thread has just reminded me of similar debates in the early 90s when we took the EPL by storm.  Albeit not on the web then. Football fans were asking, (not just ours) why Norwich didn''t have more international call-ups, when mid division teams and below did.  I believe the general conclusion was, we just weren''t fashionable enough.It''s a sad sad fact, some teams are considered ''great'' even though their positions suggest not.   Take Greeno, when we were Championship it was next to impossible for him to get a call up at first.  Now he''s at Wet Spam he gets the nod in front of Ruddy, when Ruddy has won us points with some blinding saves that many thought were international class stops.The enigma is, how do you make Norwich more fashionable?  Stay in the EDL that''s for certain. And whether we need a ready made ''face'' to sign for us.  Same way players like Peters and Hucks did in the past, they took us up a couple of rungs just by being here.

I hope you mean EPL not EDL ;)[/quote]opps[:$]

His latest Twitter profile picture is the first time I''ve seen the new England kit looking any good.

Holt is someone that if called up to the EUROs no other countries will have heard of him, he''d be an unknown quantity and could really causes defences problems.

Also he is exactly what the fans want to see someone (unlike Carroll) who chases EVERY causes, he never stops running, tracks back. He''d get the fans on their feet, I think he''s worth a shout. Because whats the point in taking Welbeck, Campbell (who doesn''t deserve a look in at all- complete joke he played against Holland) and Defoe, those 3 are all very similar players. Take Holt and have a different option.

lets consider another opinion..Wayne Rooney.. the current highest english goalscorere this season, is suspended for the first 2 games of the euros... It could be all over for england by then....The 2nd highest goalscorer has been over looked... he could score the goals that take england to the 1/4 finals....Geoff Hurst wasnt first choice in 1966... Jimmy Greaves was.... look how that turned out.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Monday he was 33/1, yesterday he was 14/1, today he''s 7/2 to make the England squad for Euros 2012...[/quote]Holy smokes the bookies are either going to clean up, or take a decent sized hit.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]lets consider another opinion..Wayne Rooney.. the current highest english goalscorere this season, is suspended for the first 2 games of the euros... It could be all over for england by then....The 2nd highest goalscorer has been over looked... he could score the goals that take england to the 1/4 finals....Geoff Hurst wasnt first choice in 1966... Jimmy Greaves was.... look how that turned out.[/quote]Why? What happened?[;)]Seriously, you just hope that the new England management will think, sod it go with form players, rather than young player with potential that haven''t really scored.  We''ve gone with the latter in the past and it''s basically just turned into a mistake.