Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Wigan team/match thread

nice goal - wes clearly likes playing them!!

Just checked some crofts stats - has started 12 games for us, we have lost 6 and won just 2, 10 points from 36.

Crofts doesn''t look up to it to me.  His work rate is unquestionable but there is little end product in his game and his second touch is usually a tackle.

[quote user="Herman "]Looked a pen to me.[/quote]If it had been given against us, I would have been furious so I guess I can''t really say it was a definite pen, but if Holt was wearing Red and playing at Old Trafford then I suspect it would have been given...Anyway.  Why are we are making Wigan look good?

Fair point.

We are talking it a bit too easy at the moment.Conserving our energy for the second half?

Apart from the first 10 mins we have been pretty poor to be honest.There''s something missing in midfield and wigan are getting far too much ball in this area. Most of the team look a little lathargic - even GH - have we left all of our energy on a beach in the med????

At the risk of talking out of my ar$e, I would suggest our midfield is getting dragged all over the place and they are passing it round us using width we don''t have.  I would counter it by moving to a 5 man midfield and adding Bennett or Pilkington into the "outlet" role being played further up the pitch by Jackson, frustrating their midfield.  However, this would only work if up top we have someone with pace to latch onto opportunities as Wigan throw more midfielders forward, which means I would probably take Holt off, bring on Pilkington and move to 4-5-1 with Wes linking with Jackson.  I''d also change Crofts for Johnson.That said, I''ve been sitting out in the sun this afternoon.

[quote user="Ozbarclay"]a little lucky to be ahead really even though we''re outplaying them over most of the park.[/quote]I''d say their midfield is dominating ours and our only chances came from (a) a crap goal kick by El Habsi, and (b) an optimistic punt forward which Holt turned into a chance.

yeah  maybe I''m thinking of the start of the game... midfield out of shape a fair bit...  looking for an opening  and also getting draggedPilkington would be an excellent choice.... expecting Morison for Holt though

We have no Mid at all.Need some serious quality bought this summer to replace even Wes who scored a good goal but has had a poor season

[quote user="Gingerpele"]We were better than Wigan that day, drew because of a 50/50 penalty decision, after a silly mistake from De Laet. It was most of the players, and the managers first premiership game. Anyway, the formation barley matters, we still operate in a similar fashion. When we play with two wingers, they don''t spend the whole game pushing past the full backs and whipping in crosses do they?[/quote]

What''s your opinion of today''s game so far, GP? I suspect we need more width so we can push past their full backs a bit more and whip in some crosses.

Five man midfield should do it.

i think we are seeing the problem of the diamond atm, we just have no width allowing Wigan to dominate the midfield. everytime we get the ball we are extremely narrow, making it hard to break through wigan''s midfield, our best options come when Naughten gets invovled giving some natural width.Jackson is playing well on the counter for us, but the support is not getting there in time because of how deep we are playing. I would be inclined to give it 15 mins then bring Bennet on for crofts and perhaps Pilky for surman at some point as well, problem is then the team becomes very attack minded.

Don''t know whether to laugh or cry at some of the comments on here. OK, we ain''t playing great but come on, we''re winning & comments like "Hoolahan has had a poor season" are way off line.

Jackson doing ok but lack of movement up front is awful, Holt looks as disinterested as morison usually accused met change up front and Pilkington on . Can see them scoring

We seem to have assumed we have won

iv had nothing but praise for lambert but he has to take responsibility for this awful game! Everyone could see the changes we needed to make after about 20 mins and the first one he made was pathetic, its the midfield that is our problem! The supply line and keeping the ball and moving it! I just hope we can up our game and still get something from this cos at this rate we will be very lucky with a point!

playing much better now - pressing - pace - skilllooking to win itcmon Norwich!!!