Sign in to follow this  
Browno

Leeds accept Norwich City bid for Jonny Howson

[quote user="jb"]

http://www.thesquareball.net/leeds-united/2011/08/24/the-howson-debate-is-over/

interesting blog post (also interesting are the comments, which mostly seem to disagree with the original article).  personally looking forward to seeing him in yellow and green if the transfer comes off.

[/quote]

I wrote that piece. The comments below the line seemed to miss the point, which was that Howson is not best employed as part of a midfield 2. Many of the ripostes cited his hat-trick away at Burnley last season, when he was in fact playing in "the hole" in a 4-2-3-1.

In that position, he is very good. However, when playing deeper, he often looks lost, thus prompting the "Howson goes missing" complaint often heard from LUFC fans over the last 3--4 years. Then again, Bradley Johnson wasn''t particularly rated either and most were incredulous that you were willing to give him a go in the PL. So, make of that what you will.

Now, although Howson is not the "best player in the team" (as some appear to be suggesting), he is one of our better players and we''re basically outraged that Ken fucking Bates is selling us short again.

This:

[quote user="a1canary"]ball carrying, powerful, technical midfielder - the Viera type of player. This is him. Safety assured.[/quote]

is well wide of the mark, however. There is no way on God''s earth that Howson is "the Vieira type of player". Give him a go playing as an attacking midfielder/second striker, though, and he''ll sparkle.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]What is his injury, anyone with clarification?[/quote]Knee I think, assume it''s a pulled ligament if he''s been out for a month or so (with a couple still before he returns).

From Sky Sports top ten FL targets;

Jonny Howson - Leeds United

Leeds look set to lose their talismanic captain this month after ''reluctantly'' accepting a bid from top-flight newcomers Norwich for the midfielder. Howson has made no secret of the fact he is keen to ply his trade in the Premier League and has spurned offers of a new deal from the Whites, despite being their longest-serving player. A determined and skilful midfielder, who is also known for popping up to score the odd vital goal, Howson could prove a shrewd signing for the Canaries as they bid to steer clear of relegation this season.

From the discussion on here he sounds like he might be a midfielder in the mould of Lambert himself. Technically able but with the brain/discipline to do a job breaking up play too.

If, and that''s all it is at the moment, he joins then I''d be more than happy.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]What is his injury, anyone with clarification?[/quote]Knee I think, assume it''s a pulled ligament if he''s been out for a month or so (with a couple still before he returns).[/quote]cheers, i guess the medical today/tmw will give us an indication?

jb wrote:

interesting blog post (also interesting are the comments, which mostly seem to disagree with the original article). personally looking forward to seeing him in yellow and green if the transfer comes off.

I wrote that piece. The comments below the line seemed to miss the point, which was that Howson is not best employed as part of a midfield 2. Many of the ripostes cited his hat-trick away at Burnley last season, when he was in fact playing in "the hole" in a 4-2-3-1.

In that position, he is very good. However, when playing deeper, he often looks lost, thus prompting the "Howson goes missing" complaint often heard from LUFC fans over the last 3--4 years. Then again, Bradley Johnson wasn''t particularly rated either and most were incredulous that you were willing to give him a go in the PL. So, make of that what you will.

Now, although Howson is not the "best player in the team" (as some appear to be suggesting), he is one of our better players and we''re basically outraged that Ken * Bates is selling us short again.

This:

a1canary wrote:
ball carrying, powerful, technical midfielder - the Viera type of player. This is him. Safety assured.

is well wide of the mark, however. There is no way on God''s earth that Howson is "the Vieira type of player". Give him a go playing as an attacking midfielder/second striker, though, and he''ll sparkle.

jb wrote:

interesting blog post (also interesting are the comments, which mostly seem to disagree with the original article). personally looking forward to seeing him in yellow and green if the transfer comes off.

Now, although Howson is not the "best player in the team" (as some appear to be suggesting), he is one of our better players and we''re basically outraged that Ken fuucking Bates is selling us short again.

This:

a1canary wrote:
ball carrying, powerful, technical midfielder - the Viera type of player. This is him. Safety assured.

is well wide of the mark, mind. There is no way on God''s earth that Howson is "the Vieira type of player". Give him a go playing as an attacking midfielder/second striker, though, and he''ll sparkle.

Personally, from what i''ve seen of him i would put him firmly in the Paul Scholes mould.

Really happy if we sign him, although as someone posted on here Lansbury would''ve been great too.

Both are capable of that defense splitting daisy cutter reverse pass for Holt/Morro whoever to run on to.

Can''t help but think this is going to fall through though, as Leeds made a comment about their upset of the deal being made public. When it appears they made it public with that statement!?

It''s a last gasp attempt of getting the bids in. I can''t help but feel Sparky Hughes would be interested.

I agree with the point Budapest made earlier, we are not desparate for a new signing to come straight into a losing team and make a big difference, as some other lower prem clubs are, we can afford to wait for the guy to get fully fit and ease him in, possibly along with  Vaughan  as the season goes on. With the summer break and a good pre season we then have pretty much two new young signings who hopefully will play a big part in next seasons Premiership campaign. Good planning for me and making the most of our position in the league. On the face of it this looks like good business.

[quote user="PRDH"]From the discussion on here he sounds like he might be a midfielder in the mould of Lambert himself. Technically able but with the brain/discipline to do a job breaking up play too. If, and that''s all it is at the moment, he joins then I''d be more than happy.[/quote]

A Glenn Hoddle type

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]What is his injury, anyone with clarification?
[/quote]

Knee I think, assume it''s a pulled ligament if he''s been out for a month or so (with a couple still before he returns).
[/quote]cheers, i guess the medical today/tmw will give us an indication?
[/quote]

Official site - http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2580767,00.html

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Jonny Howson is a good player but not to the extent that some are making out! I''d much prefer Snodgrass. Don''t really see the point in signing a player no better then Crofts, Johnson or Fox.[/quote]

In one short comment you have fully demonstrated your total lack of understanding.

[/quote]

Care to explain?

[/quote]This guy is being talked about as a box to box attacking midfielder... when did you honestly see the above run with the ball? I think Lansbury would have been a similar/better buy?
[/quote]

Back in reality he is very similar to what we already have, and he certainly is not a box to box midfielder - he loves a pass and likes to move the ball on quickly from what I''ve seen and heard of him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

I am not excited by this signing AT ALL....we need a central defender not a midfielder where we already have an abundence of talent...who will he replace?

We all know with no clean sheets where our problem is.....just think its much ado about nothing

[/quote]

Clean sheets start from the front. You could have the 4 best defenders in the world but if everyone ahead of them is dross then you still won''t keep a clean sheet. Howson will improve the team overall, meaning we are more likely to get a clean sheet.

[/quote]

So whose place does he take?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Jonny Howson is a good player but not to the extent that some are making out! I''d much prefer Snodgrass. Don''t really see the point in signing a player no better then Crofts, Johnson or Fox.[/quote]

Totally agree Lincoln

[quote user="mardytam"]Puh, I give up. What a strange system. Apologies for filling your thread with malformed posts.[/quote]if you are mailing through a smart phone (iPhone for instance) this always happens.

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

Totally agree Lincoln

[/quote]

No surprise there, the two most negative posters on here agreeing with each other.

For an initial fee of 500k, this is the signing of the window so far, great player and very much lambert esque both in philosophy and playing mould.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/887716-jonny-howson-headed-for-norwich-after-leeds-reluctantly-accept-bid

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

Totally agree Lincoln

[/quote]

No surprise there, the two most negative posters on here agreeing with each other.

[/quote]

Its not about being Negative its about an opinion, While I undertsand a strong midfield helps the defence I do not think either of our centre backs are of the quality we need at this level, however good our midfield is so I believe our priority should have been a defender.   I also think most pocession is given away by defenders when just clearing up field, how many times has Zak been caught in pocession?

We have a strong Midfield with cover...Wes, Johnson, Crofts, Fox, Bennet, Pilkinton, Surman...it means 1 of them will drop down the pecking order and I do not see this chap will add more than the current players do or can

[quote user="St.John Cooper"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

Totally agree Lincoln

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not about being Negative its about an opinion, While I undertsand a strong midfield helps the defence I do not think either of our centre backs are of the quality we need at this level, however good our midfield is so I believe our priority should have been a defender.   I also think most pocession is given away by defenders when just clearing up field, how many times has Zak been caught in pocession?

We have a strong Midfield with cover...Wes, Johnson, Crofts, Fox, Bennet, Pilkinton, Surman...it means 1 of them will drop down the pecking order and I do not see this chap will add more than the current players do or can

[/quote]I appreciate this is your opinion but you are talking absolute rubbish.Yes, the high profile mistakes which have led to goals have been defensive errors, but far too often it has been the midfield losing possession and being caught out that has cost us goals.  When that happens you can hardly blame the defense, once left exposed they can do their best - which quite often they do, WBA being a case in point - but we need someone who will retain possession in midfield.Howson will be a great addition to the SQUAD as a whole.  He is an improvement on what we have got, and has been talked up as potentially England material in the future.  We all know that Lambert isn''t one for keeping players just because they have helped us before, and this (potential) signing is another in a long list of coups by the club.  You only have to look at Leeds fans reactions on their messageboards and Twitter to see how highly rated he is.

Personally I think this will be a very good bit of business if it comes off. Just look at the reaction of the Leeds fans to the loss of this player. We are signing one of the best midfielders outside the championship in the january window for what appears to be a very reasonable fee and still some people are moaning.

The game is all about opinions and some may see CB as our main priority but personally i have always thought it is centre mid. I don;t think the defence get enough protection from the midfield and, despite how brilliantly we have done this season, am still not sure we have the midfield balance 100% right. Howson''s best position is, by all accounts, as a right sided central midfielder. He likes to get his foot in but always gets in the box and weighs in with a few goals. He could, therefore, be the perfect man to slot in on the right hand side of the diamond where Crofts has had to play in several games this season. As always, Crofts hasn;t let us down but for me a few games have passed him by a bit and we should always be looking to improve the squad. I am sure that Crofts, Fox and Johnson will all still be heavily involved as well.

As has been said on several threads in recent weeks, lambert will leave us at some point, probably in the next couple of years. If his legacy is to leave us in the top flight with a squad of talented, young players such as Ayala, Howson, Pilkington and Bennett then i for one am all for it! 

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Webbo118"]

In one short comment you have fully demonstrated your total lack of understanding.

[/quote]

Care to explain?

[/quote]This guy is being talked about as a box to box attacking midfielder... when did you honestly see the above run with the ball? I think Lansbury would have been a similar/better buy?[/quote]

Back in reality he is very similar to what we already have, and he certainly is not a box to box midfielder - he loves a pass and likes to move the ball on quickly from what I''ve seen and heard of him.

[/quote]i''m just quoting what i''ve heard of him.

[quote user="HuckerbysMullet"]For an initial fee of 500k, this is the signing of the window so far, great player and very much lambert esque both in philosophy and playing mould.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/887716-jonny-howson-headed-for-norwich-after-leeds-reluctantly-accept-bid[/quote]That leon Best video next to the story is a bit disturbing

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

If he is that kind of player, he is just what we need. Possession is pretty much everything, and our defence keeps coming under pressure because we lack anyone (Fox seemingly not quite up to it) who can hold on to the ball. Exacerbated by Lambert''s gung-ho tactic of playing only three in midfield.

If (assuming he signs and gets fit) he can get beyond the lone striker occasionally when we play 4-4-1-1 (as we probably should against Chelsea anyway) so much the better.

[/quote]

I had sort of convinced myself he was that kind of player but now I''m not so sure. Nobody else seems sure either to be fair as he has been likened to about eight different midfielders with vastly different styles on this thread already [;)]

If he can pass well, add a bit of control to our midfield (in both and attacking and defensive sense) and grab a few goals as well then he will be a very handy addition to the squad.

Lambert can certainly get the best out of players, I''m sure he''ll be moulded into whatever Lambert desires is needed for the team

As far as I''m concerned, Lambert has stated he''ll only bring in players that''ll be an improvement.  So we either trust Lambert''s judgement or we don''t.