Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Ayala the star today - EPL Index analysis

Would never have guessed that. Whitbread seemed to be getting in the way of absolutely everything. Very interesting Bly.

Unfortunately Jacko you are speaking as someone who actually watched the gamethere is a big difference

I agree, watching the game today Whitbread seemed to get a lot of vital blocks and tackles in. Ayala looked just as solid though.

Was great to look like a great defensive unit for a change, the entire team played very well defensively today! Well worth a point

[quote user="Jacko"]Would never have guessed that. Whitbread seemed to be getting in the way of absolutely everything. Very interesting Bly.[/quote]

I agree Jacko. It surprised me a bit too that''s mainly why I posted it - to get others reactions.

Maybe it''sa function of Ayala just getting on quietly with his work whereas Whitbread is a bit more dominant and visible?

I am very impressed with their partnership. Has taken our defensive work up a level I reckon.

OTBC

[quote user="City1st"]Unfortunately Jacko you are speaking as someone who actually watched the game

there is a big difference
[/quote]

Binner alert.

[+o(]

OTBC

Both really look the part at this level Bly. I will hold my hands up and say Ayala has made me eat my words. Wasn''t too impressed with what I saw from him at Derby and Hull. But he has been outstanding apart from that one aberration against West Brom. Both he and Whitbread are very comfortable on the ball which is great to see as well. Lets hope the pair of them keep it going!!

Its still an area I would like us to strengthen in at some stage though. Whitbread has shown for me what a tremendous advantage it is to have a centre back who is naturally left sided. At the moment I dont think we could adequately replace Zak were he to get injured. But classy, left sided centre backs are very hard to come by. So we are lucky to have even one I guess!

I watched the game on a local sports channel with Hungarian commentary. The commentator heaped a lot of praise on our entire defense, slightly more on Whitbread, his MOM being Ruddy. IMO Ayala improved his game by not giving away potentially dangerous free-kicks, and was doing a great job today. The fact that we are arguing over the fact that which of our two central defenders were better tells volumes! OTBC!

It looks to me as if Whitbread has looked and played better since Ayala came into the team. 

That would suggest that Ayala has brought something else to the defence - confidence.  He does have composure and can pass the ball well out of defence (something that Whitbread needs to improve!!). 

His composure and presence bodes well for the rest of this season and next.  Even though to most of us Whitbread looked better yesterday, Ayala was his partner in a very strong defensive backguard.  Well done to both  of them.

"The fact that we are arguing over the fact that which of our two central defenders"I don''t think there is an arguing, other than those who watched the game having a different opinion to somebody who is not a City fan and so doesn''t go to our games

A lot of Ayalas ''points'' would have come from successful passing I think. He was keen to play the ball around the back 4, which is most certainly a good thing in a game like that.However Whitbread, Pilks, or Ruddy would get MOTM for me.

[quote user="City1st"]"The fact that we are arguing over the fact that which of our two central defenders"

I don''t think there is an arguing, other than those who watched the game having a different opinion to somebody who is not a City fan and so doesn''t go to our games
[/quote]

Maybe "not a City fan" is harsh buddy. But to be fair most of his posts since he joined the board have suggested just that very thing[Y]

+1

I saw the film moneyball the other day and it got me thinking about how Lambert plays and buys players.

sometimes the players you think are great are not the ones that make the statistical contribution to the team.

Bi miffed with MOTD last night though a phoned in review of the match

[quote user="Trent Canary"]A lot of Ayalas ''points'' would have come from successful passing I think. He was keen to play the ball around the back 4, which is most certainly a good thing in a game like that.

However Whitbread, Pilks, or Ruddy would get MOTM for me.
[/quote]

Can only echo most thoughts on here - we are looking better at centre back now - with whitbread and ayala forming a good partnership.  Cant say that I thought either outshone the other tobe honest - both  good and committed and performed well.   An enormous improvement since the start of the season.  Long may it flourish - and on that basis any articles like the ones attached are good news - just confirms what we see on the pitch and reflects well on the club. 

As far as the stats are concerned the link does not have any points for passing,  the analysis is purely on clearances,  and it confirms hat Ayala made more clearances, headed and other,  than Whitbread.  It does not mention blocks (do they count as a clearance?)   but the sta that impresses me is that neither play made a mistake than led to a shot - thats whats good.

Ruddy MOTM for me though - he did have to make some good saves

still meaningless drivel for those that don''t understand something as basic as footballie what is a mistake and what is someone else''s excellent play ?Torres toe poked a shot that was saved by RuddyDid the City dedender make a bad mistake ?Did Torres miss a certain goal ?Did Ruddy make a brilliant save ?None of that shows up on this meaningless gibberish. Trying to reduce a wonderful game to some for of binary notation merely reflects what cretins football is now attracting.The above three questions are all pretty much subsjective, and a part of what makes the game.It is the beautiful game, keep it that way.

a few weeks ago most city fans, myself included, were of the opinion that martin was our best central defender. how wrong we were, zak and danni have improved game after game and are heading towards being considered one of our best central defense partnerships ever. i thought they both had their best game for city yesterday.

Ayala did have a good game. I''m not sure about the EPL analysis though.  For example, when Man U beat Arsenal 8-2, the EPL stats made Robin Van Persie the 3rd best performer from either side. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Maybe "not a City fan" is harsh buddy. But to be fair most of his posts since he joined the board have suggested just that very thing[Y]

[/quote]

I think it comes with the territory Nutty when the poster in question tries to associate himself with them there Purists[;)]

Any thoughts on the game Tilly? 

[Just asking ''cos you reveal very little about how you think the mighty yellows are doing but you always have a lot to say about others posters?]

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[Just asking ''cos you reveal very little about how you think the mighty yellows are doing but you always have a lot to say about others posters?]

[/quote]

I discuss the game with mates in the pub afterwards and as for me having a lot to say about other posters shef if only you had met some of them personally you would where i was coming from.[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]

I discuss the game with mates in the pub afterwards and as for me having a lot to say about other posters shef if only you had met some of them personally you would where i was coming from.[:D]

[/quote]

That''s cleared that up then....

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course there''s two sides to every story................

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course there''s two sides to every story................

[/quote]

Offering yourself up as the sacrificial lamb here are we Tangible but as they say...if the cap fits [;)] By the way the same old faces meet up in The Nelson post and pre match so such a shame you and Smudger no longer show up.