Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Starting 11 for Arsenal (H)...?

What''s your starting 11 for Arsenal in two weeks, and why?

I want De Laet back in, and think Barnett deserves a rest. He''s

made a lot of errors, which people seem to forget, yet somehow love to

bring up De Laet''s mistakes. [:(] I''d also like to see Holt and Crofts

in the team, but wouldn''t like to see Morison, or Fox or Johnson out of

the team. It''s a tough one.

I''d go with:

-----------------Ruddy--------------

Naughton--Martin--De Laet--Tierney

-----------Crofts---Johnson---------

----Bennett-----Hoolahan----Pilkington

-----------------Holt-------------------

Leaving out Fox, Morison, Jackson, Barnett. Man it''s hard to choose a team! I suppose that''s only a good thing though?

What do you think? [:)]

It''s been proven on more than one occasion that Wes isn''t good on the left or centre of a four man midfield but seems to do ok when he moves wide right so against Arsenal I''d go with:

Hoolahan---Fox---Johnson--Pilkington

-------------Holt----Morison-----

So ''I love Leon Barnett, Barnett is king'', you want to drop LB after 1 game because of a few mistakes? Pilkington missed chances at Old Trafford, which cost us, and look how he has responded in the past few weeks. If LB plays poorly vs Arsenal, then drop him

Ruddy cafu. , de late , barney, tierney crofts fox. Johnson. Pilks. . Holt. Morison. . . Crofts played really well on the right for us last season in the diamond and I think can do a job there a bit like gerrard has done there for Liverpool in the past. That gives us two strong midfielder in crofts and johno plus the creativity of pilks and fox. It''s either that or stick Wes in one of the wings and drop.either Johnson or crofts. But against arsenal I think we need a bit more strength in there. I like two up top and think if holt and morison can start to gell we will have a very good front two.

Mine would be:

Ruddy

Naughton Martin De Laet Tierney

Crofts Johnson Fox

Holt Morrison Pilkington

Pilkington and Holt can play the wide areas, while dropping back to help the midfield when needed.

Positive I think but we will have to be to get anything from Arsenal. Strong defence and midfield, good options in attack.

We lose the mobility of Bennett but he could be on the bench as an option with Jackson to add pace at any stage.

Any takers?

''Positive I think''

Thats more negative than the 4-5-1 we have been playing, with 3 CM/Holding midfielders, and then two wide players who you want to get back and help out, is essentially just dropping Hoolahan back to CM and replacing with Crofts. Also, wouldn''t Fox need to be in the centre of the 3?

But I don''t think there is any chance of that system being used. I think we''ll go back to 4-5-1....

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Ruddy

Naughton Martin De Laet Tierney

Crofts Johnson Fox

Holt Morrison Pilkington[/quote]Think that could actually work, strangely, with Crofts attacking down the right also with Holty in the centre.

Either -

Ruddy, Tierney, Barnett, De Laet, Martin, Johnson, Crofts, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Holt, Morison

or

Ruddy, Tierney, Barnett, De Laet, Martin, Johnson, Crofts, Fox, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Holt/Morison

If I had to pick one it would be my second team.

GK Ruddy

RB Martin

CB De Laet

CB Barnett

LB Tierney

RM Pilkington

CM Fox

CM Johnson

LM Hoolahan

FW Holt

FW Morison

Tempted to bring Crofts in for Fox, but Fox starts as Arsenal are a passing rather than a physical team.

Whitbread would come in for Barnett if fit.

Would have Wes playing in the "Huckerby Left-ish" roll.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]I think that if we play 4-4-2 against the Arse we will get skinned, they will get inbetween the lines with the likes of Arteta, the threats for me in the Arsenal team are RVP and Walcott, looks like Tierny may have his work cut out in 2 weeks time.[/quote]

Here is a little piece from the BBC on the threat of Arteta

MIKEL ARTETA

Right Midfield

Arsenal

It''s not easy to come into a team where you are expected to fill the shoes of Cesc Fabregas. Whilst not in that class, he has the ability to open up defences and score goals. That said he''s not a bad replacement and showed his class for Arsenal''s third goal.

Did you know? Since arriving at Arsenal he has made the most passes per 90 minutes of any Premier League player (79.6) and has created the most chances in the PL this season for the Gunners (20)

Dig a hole and bury him for 90 mins i think.

H

I would say a 4-2-3-1 with this line up..

-----------Crofts/Fox---Johnson---------

----Hoolahan-----Holt----Pilkington

-----------------Morison-------------------

That way it gets Morison, Holt and Hoolahan in the same team, if that wouldn''t work I would take Holt off then stick Hoolahan central, then place bennett on the wing as a super sub.

[quote user="Gerry Harrison"]GK Ruddy

RB Martin

CB De Laet

CB Barnett

LB Tierney

RM Pilkington

CM Fox

CM Johnson

LM Hoolahan

FW Holt

FW Morison

Tempted to bring Crofts in for Fox, but Fox starts as Arsenal are a passing rather than a physical team.

Whitbread would come in for Barnett if fit.

Would have Wes playing in the "Huckerby Left-ish" roll.[/quote]no way would i go 4-4-2 against Arsenal.

Go back to Plan A, i.e. the starting line-up at Anfield, assuming injuries allow.Have to show confidence in the players and system that has been working really well up to now.Also, to be honest Arsenal is kind of a pressure off game, so work on the defence in the run up and look for signs of improvement.  A creditable effort with signs of tightening up would be a good run into the probably season defining QPR game.  If we still look too open, then it might be time to re-think.  If we start tinkering too much we will be back to where we were at the start of the season.

Well as much as Wes has been slated on other threads, for me I am dissapointed at Bennett, was touted as fast and here to feed our front mem, not really had that impact!

I also have questions about Holts fitness for teh full 90!

I would have to go with an off set 4,3,2,1 system.

Ruddy

Naughton, Martin, Delaet, Tierney

Fox, Crofts, Johnson

Wes, Pilkington

Morison,

Christmas Tree fromation.

Bennett and Morison dropped for Crofts and Fox for me.

Think Holt will cause them all sorts of problems and Hoolahan and Pilkington should be encouraged to fill the space he vacates when working the channels.

"to be honest Arsenal is kind of a pressure off game,"

I don''t go along with this idea that there are any pressure off games.

We should be treating every game the same, same approach etc. This is a winnable game and is as important as any other game in that there are a potential three points available.

Once you start differentiating games you''ll end up with incosistent performances. Should be 100% effort every game = 100% importance of every game. No more, no less.

Against Arsenal Norwich will need to play two defensive midfielders to deal with Ramsay, Arteta and RVP when he drops deep to collect the ball. On the attack Norwich should target Santos as his positioning is woeful - a quick ball over the top for someone to run onto is the best method as Arsenal have had problems all season in mantaining a good defensive line.

Can''t see Norwich getting anything out of the game as we always look a little weak against pacey wingers, and in Walcott and Gervinho Arsenal have a couple of quickest in the League. Have to pray Arsenal have ''one of those days''. Real focus needs to be on the QPR game - that is going to be big.

Someone on the holtmania villa match analysis suggested a 4-1-3-2. With this sort of team:

Naughton - Martin - De Laet - Tierny

Fox

Pilkington - Johnson - Hoolahan

Holt - Morison

In my eyes that would work with Fox sitting a little deeper, it would cut out some width but would allow the full backs to get down the wign a bit more.

ruddy

naughton  martin  barnett  tierney

johnson

morison   crofts    fox    pilkington

holt   

?

Ruddy

Naughton Barnett de Laet Tierney

Fox Johnson

Hoolahan Pilkington

Morison

Our best formation

Fox is the linchpin connecting a poor passing back 4 to the rest of the team

Hoolahan is a must; just not in the middle of a 442

Bennett just has not done enough for me; not convinced who is a decent replacement; but Croft grafts and played right in the diamond and edges it ahead of teh only alternative of surman (tierney/pilkington too good to break up).

Morison - simple the best lone striker we have.

Why are people putting Hoolahan out wide in their formations. How many times does it have to be proven...he isn''t a winger! He is effective in the middle of the pitch! Same goes for people suggesting Morison/Holt could play wide.

Play players in their naturals positions. We havent done well over recent times when experimenting with a new formation, as we need time to develop that on the training pitch. So I''d hate to see us try out a new formation against an in-form Arsenal. 4-5-1 as per Man Utd/Bolton/Sunderland/Swansea as we know we play best in this situation. For me personally, same line up as faced Swansea.