Sign in to follow this  
natncfc

Lets discuss CMS vs Shane Long

I have seen CMS play and Long play several times this year and imo CMS''s all round game is much better than Longs is. He is quicker, works harder, good in the air, stronger and can hold the ball up very well. Not much in it when it comes to finishing. Long admitted himself he did not play well the other night so people, please do not be blinded by his MOM award and his 2 goals, although very well taken. I understand that CMS has been playing inferior opposition all year but my opinion still stands, he has that wow factor when he plays.

I believe that CMS will join us over the summer. Barry ''fatso'' Fry was on Talksport last night and said he will definately not be playing at Posh next season. He added he will be playing in the premier league as if the deal has already been done. Read into that what you will, but I cant think of too many PL managers who would take a punt a league one player, apart from Lambert. Can you?

I would welcome them both at Carrow Road but If I had to pick one it would be CMS. Cheaper and for me the better player.

Your thoughts?

Surely he wont screw it up again. He only has a year left on his contract, he knows he wont be renewing that is public knowledge. He needs to get what he can for him and i don''t expect that figure to be more than 2.5 - 3 million. Basically what we offered previously for me, or maybe a bit less. Like i said not many people willing to take gambles like Sir Lambert!

After watching them both this week, I think Long will end up in the Premiership next season whether Reading are promoted or not. His sights will probably be set higher than Norwich, with Everton, Stoke & Villa all keen to sign him.

CMS would be worth a punt. Seems a decent bloke, works hard, runs for however long the game lasts. Good finisher. How do you know these players can''t play in the Premiership if you don''t give them the chance?! I say sign him up. In fact, I''ve said this on another thread, but I think the deal is already done.

Me too, reckon he was told to hang on, get us up if you can and then you can go. Fair play to him never chucked his toys out of his pram, just cracked on doing his job. Sign him up, could be signing of the season for me. I think once he gets a taste of playing at grounds like old trafford, he will want more of it.

CMS for me because he is a better all round player . The work he gets through is absolutely awesome allied to his goals. You can be sure that Holty and him up front would give any backline a tough afternoon.

I think CMS is more of a Lambert-type player but I''m a big fan of Long as a finisher.

However regardless of who comes in, with the way Jackson finished the season he has to keep his shirt for the first game. Obviously competition is needed but nobody should get a free pass into the team ahead of Jackson on current form.

I hope that is CMS does come in he starts by sitting on the bench. Holt starts due to being the captain and all round hard worker. Jackson scored some very vital goals at the end of the season to help us go up.

With regard to price as well it will be interesting to see how much Watford sell Danny Graham for because nobody should be going for more than the leading scorer in the championship. QPR are meant to have bid £2.5 million yesterday (Sky Sports News).

[quote user="Jacko"]With regard to price as well it will be interesting to see how much Watford sell Danny Graham for because nobody should be going for more than the leading scorer in the championship. QPR are meant to have bid £2.5 million yesterday (Sky Sports News).[/quote]

By nobody I meant targets in the league 1 and the championship.

CMS is a little bit different to Jackson and Holt and that''s what I think PL will be aiming for - players with different abilities so that we can mix it up a bit.

Just because Holt and Jackson finished the season strongly doesn''t mean they are guaranteed to start in the first game.

What if we sign CMS and he and Holt look fantastic together in training, I think that would mean they would start the first game.

Unfortunately the nature of football is that when we kick off in the Prem in August, last season will be last season.

[quote user="Canary Call Special Needs Admin"]I think CMS is more of a Lambert-type player but I''m a big fan of Long as a finisher. However regardless of who comes in, with the way Jackson finished the season he has to keep his shirt for the first game. Obviously competition is needed but nobody should get a free pass into the team ahead of Jackson on current form.[/quote]

Not sure you should really be picking a team at the start of the season on the form of the previous season, is that really ''current form'' at that stage?   It would probably depend on performances in pre-season just as much as well.

I would be pleased for CMS to join us, and I don''t think we will pay anything close to what was being quoted in March.

I agree that CMS is more of a Lambert type. I have been very impressed by him in the games I''ve seen him play. A non stop work rate, a bit of skill and can finish with either foot. He also shows great awareness when holding the ball up, regularly making the right decisions when looking for the lay off. I don''t think he knows the meaning of a lost cause either!To add to that, he would appear to be the ''hungry'' type of player that Lambert likes. He was working in a garden centre or something not long ago so would be desperate to prove himself. I don''t think he''ll score loads of goals in the Prem but, as someone else mentioned earlier, if him and Holt started up front then they would ensure that the opposing defenders had a tricky afternoon.Is it just me or does Long remind anybody else of a more ''finished'' version of Cody? Maybe it''s just his body shape and stature, but there are definite comparisons. I like Shane Long, a very good finisher, but I''m not sure he''s the sort of striker Lambert would go for. He also looks about 12. [;)]To conclude, I''d be happy with either, but I think the more realistic and potentially best option would be CMS.

Long has scored 23 in 45 games in the Championship this season whereas CMS scored 10 in 43 last season in the same division.  Long is thus the better player IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"]Long has scored 23 in 45 games in the Championship this season whereas CMS scored 10 in 43 last season in the same division.  Long is thus the better player IMO.[/quote]Not exactly the best formula for working out whether one player is better than another, or suited to Premier League football though is it?Earnshaw scored quite a few goals for us before his ill fated move to Derby. He scored 19 for us in the Champ then 1 for Derby in the top flight.It''s more of a case of the individual fitting into the team''s playing style. I believe CMS would compliment ours very well indeed!

[quote user="BobbyLo"][quote user="paul moy"]Long has scored 23 in 45 games in the Championship this season whereas CMS scored 10 in 43 last season in the same division.  Long is thus the better player IMO.[/quote]

Not exactly the best formula for working out whether one player is better than another, or suited to Premier League football though is it?
Earnshaw scored quite a few goals for us before his ill fated move to Derby. He scored 19 for us in the Champ then 1 for Derby in the top flight.
It''s more of a case of the individual fitting into the team''s playing style. I believe CMS would compliment ours very well indeed!

[/quote]

It''s the best statistic available for comparison. Of course it''s not flawless, but it depicts a real risk and hopefully that would be reflected in any transfer fee by the use of add-ons for appearances and performance (ie Prem goals scored) rather than paying Fry''s inflated asking price.  

I think comparing CMS to Long with regards to scoring record in the champioship is a pretty poor basis of comparison.Lets look at it like this who is likely to have had the better supply and chances in the championship, Long in the classy Premier league bound reading with people like Kebe laying it on a plate? Or CMS who was part of the team that finished dead last and was in general piss poor... yet still hit double figures?Now dont get me wrong, I think Long is a better player, yet I also think CMS is not only in our price range but also has something to offer in our squad and as a premier league play.At the end of the day we raised eyebrows at the Martin and Crofts signings from league 1 and they are now Premier league players and internationals, if Lambert fancies them then Im willing to see them in yellow and Green.

I''d rather have Shane Long. I think he''s got more about him and is more likely to have the knack of scoring goals at a higher level.

Although I do think CMS would help to strengthen our squad too.

Intersting to see that when Long played in the premier league with reading, he scored 2 goals in 21 apperances, then 3 goals in 29 appearances! Not sure about him being more likely to score in the premier league.

I feel we should have a go for CMS, if the price is right. If not try someone like Sharp or possibly Sordell

[quote user="paul moy"]Long has scored 23 in 45 games in the Championship this season whereas CMS scored 10 in 43 last season in the same division.  Long is thus the better player IMO.[/quote]23 in 45 in a far superior Reading team. For me, CMS 10 in 43 in a relegated side is quite impressive.

For what it''s worth, I believe CMS will fit better into our system than Long would. However, if pressed, I would have Long over CMS. His finishing is just sublime, the goal he scored the other night by nicking the ball and chipping it was just purely instinct.

I don''t really see a contest in this one

Long is 24, compared to CMS, who is 27. I suspect that CMS has peaked, whereas Long will continue to improve.

Long has Premiership experience and has been one of the outstanding Championship strikers this year. CMS was less than impressive in the Championship, although outstanding in League One

Long is not only a lethal finisher, but has the right combination of pace, power and heading ability to lead the line, whereas CMS is a secondary striker.

Long for me, all day and every day!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Long is 24, compared to CMS, who is 27. I suspect that CMS has peaked, whereas Long will continue to improve.

Long has Premiership experience and has been one of the outstanding Championship strikers this year. CMS was less than impressive in the Championship, although outstanding in League One

Long is not only a lethal finisher, but has the right combination of pace, power and heading ability to lead the line, whereas CMS is a secondary striker.

[/quote]

---

With respect, I really think we need to hear what Mr Switch thinks...[;)][:D][;)]

I''ve been impressed by them both. The negatives about CMS are pretty much the same ones levelled at Holty earlier this season.By all accounts we were prepared to commit a lot of money to bring CMS here last season which suggests to me Lambert believes he could hack it in the Premier League.

[quote user="York Canary"]Intersting to see that when Long played in the premier league with reading, he scored 2 goals in 21 apperances, then 3 goals in 29 appearances! Not sure about him being more likely to score in the premier league. [/quote]

To be fair when Reading were in the Premier League he was only in his late teens/very early 20s.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

With respect, I really think we need to hear what Mr Switch thinks...[;)][:D][;)]

[/quote]

Leed canary has reminded me that Mr Switch wears a hearing aid (although I can''t see any obvious correlation between screaming like a banshee for extended periods and hearing problems.......). In addition, I''m sure he had some gladioli at the Derby match. Who would have thought that Morrissey was a closet Canary?[;)]

---

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Leed canary has reminded me that Mr Switch wears a hearing aid (although I can''t see any obvious correlation between screaming like a banshee for extended periods and hearing problems.......). In addition, I''m sure he had some gladioli at the Derby match. Who would have thought that Morrissey was a closet Canary?[;)]

---

[/quote]

---

You sure it wasn''t lupins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtVaTWs6II

What people are saying is that players like Jackson deserve to be given a chance in the Prem over other players we have signed over the summer, let''s say CMS. To be fair Jackson did technically promote us, although it was a team effort throughout the whole season, and will be chomping at the bit to prove himself at the top level.