Sign in to follow this  
yellow hammer

Re: NORWICH should build a statue of Delia Smith at Carrow Road after promotion to the Premier League

[quote user="yellow hammer"]Perhaps a statue made of spun sugar and marzipan so fans could have a little nibble?[/quote]

bitty

Now Rider and Babes, do you honestly think that McNally was serious about the statue?

I think he was just getting across how much we are all indebted to their financial and emotional commitment to our club.

Some will never see it though. But where are all those folk you lot hankered after for so long.

Why are bigbolloxmandericwednesday still floundering in League One?

I hope football comes to it''s senses before we find out how life would be without the cook and her old man.

It was a throwaway cliche statement that the Sun could turn into an amusing headline, not an actual rallying call for a statue, ffs.

Next week in The Sun: Norwich set to expand into space exploration after Paul Lambert declares himself to be ''over the moon'' about promotion

I''d like a statue of Roeder holding his loan contacts book in one hand and a telephone in the other hand to remind me of the bad times and to remind people not to make the same mistakes in the future.

Also if we lost we could throw eggs at it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now Rider and Babes, do you honestly think that McNally was serious about the statue?

I think he was just getting across how much we are all indebted to their financial and emotional commitment to our club.

Some will never see it though. But where are all those folk you lot hankered after for so long.

I hope football comes to it''s senses before we find out how life would be without the cook and her old man.

[/quote]Well said Nutty. I recall certain posters demanding "Cook Out!" and asking for the likes of Ince or Ferguson as manager...That said, I''m sure everyone would like to see a bit of new investment - and maybe something will come in now we are back at the top flight.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''d like a statue of Roeder holding his loan contacts book in one hand and a telephone in the other hand to remind me of the bad times and to remind people not to make the same mistakes in the future.

Also if we lost we could throw eggs at it.[/quote]Brilliant! Sign enough loanees and you''re bound to get some right (Lita, Evans & Martin Taylor) - but he signed more than enough. Couldn''t manage even a willing player like Lappin - and regardless of Lappin''s ability, we were desperately short of committed players under Roeder - the "wonderful" Fotheringham aside of course ;).

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good God no.............never................ever!  [:@][/quote]

Oh, and there was me thinking that you held Delia in high regard !

It won''t get to page 20 Kev! Us old boys are the minority on here now. There''s loads of new posters enjoying the ride and what a breath of fresh air they are. We need to find a way of getting them on the Free Bet[Y]

The statue though.....

My oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You may be right Nutty - I hope it was ''tongue in cheek''. Certainly DM had every right to praise their contribution. However, lets just assume it WAS a serious suggestion. Would you be in favour of a statue to The Cook at FCR, Yes or No?

As for your other comment, I never ''hankered'' for the club to be sold to any old jobsworth who wanted to buy her shares. I was dubious about Peter Cullum but was disappointed that some proper negotiations seemed not to happen. Believe it or not I am The Cooks biggest fan when she berates the cancer of ''money'' in the game and faceless foreign owners accountable to no-one. I would hate it if NCFC was sold to someone who had dodgy motives or just started slinging money about on multi million transfer fees and wages that incoming revenue could not have supported.

I have always been a critic of The Cook but that relates to a variety of issues some of which are now many years ago, some far more recent and I don''t see the need to rake up all that again. As far as emotional involvement and financial support is concerned though I am firmly in the pro Cook camp!   

When I get some time I will be posting a separate thread and comparing her and the club now with that in 2004. I sincerely hope she has learnt lessons from the last time when the whole attitude of the club after winning promotion was a disgrace. I watched the Look East coverage on Tuesday and what  was striking was the comparatively low exposure she had, no interview in sight (unless on the lunchtime edition). IF she is genuinely going to take a much lower profile in terms of public statements, TV, radio interviews etc. then that in itself will certainly improve our chances of staying up next season.     

I can''t believe McNally was serious about the statue Yellow Rider. But I think he was serious about recognising their long term financial and emotional commitment to the club. I can''t even contemplate the thought that it was a serious suggestion but in order to keep up my 100% record of answering other posters questions I would not be in favour of such a statue. I can''t imagine any fan being in favour of such a statue least of all the cook herself!!

But I do agree with McNally''s sentiments which have been heard before over the years from many respected people throughout the game. It does only seem to be Norwich fans who don''t recognise this. In fact to compare the Portsmouth manager''s opinion that we have proper football people owning the club with the prevalent completely opposite opinion on here is interesting to say the least. My personal opinion is that Smith & Jones advice on owning a football club is probably a much sought after commodity with them having survived the past 13 years and the unprecedented challenges those years have given football owners.

I now have a question for you. Are you pleased that Smith & Jones commitment made them stay and see the job through after we were relegated. Or do you wish the efforts to hound them out had been successful?

I can''t believe that some people still insist on referring to Delia as ''The Cook''. Maybe they think they are being amusing but it comes across as being very petty. We''re back where we belong. Enjoy yourselves FFS [:D]

Firstly, as people have mentioned it was just a throw away comment, not serious.

Secondly, if anyone deserves a statue, I would put Geoffrey Wattling at the top of the list.

Thirdly, I love the Fulham fans view on it...

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=240783 

"It`s a fine gesture in our opinion and the only question we have is whether we can swap it with the Michael Jackson one when it`s completed? After all we reckon Delia has probably been to Craven Cottage more times than Jackson ever did!"

Your question is difficult to answer Nutty as we don''t know who any prospective new owner could have been had she jacked it in after the Charlton game in 2009.

From the emotional involvement. committment and continuing financial support then ''Yes'' I''m very glad she stayed on.

However, what is much more pleasing is that she clearly took a much more backstage role after relegation and has minimised public appearances. That is exactly how an owner should operate. The decisions are now obviously taken (and driven through) by McNally. Would Ms Smith have taken the knife to Gunny after that one horrible defeat? No, of course not.  

Re the statue idea - I agree with you. I think the Delia Smith of 2011 would (hopefully) recoil from any such prospect. Now the Delia Smith of 2004, I''m not quite so sure! 

Yellow Rider - Those comments only seem to reinforce my views that posters like you have tunnel vision when it comes to Delia. It''s my belief she took a much more backstage role in the years leading to relegation while she went back to work writing a book and doing tv shows so she could pump more money into the club. Those things are a fulltime job you know, not something she could fit in for the odd five minutes when she put down her knitting. It''s my view that the decisions were taken then (and driven through) by Doncaster with the help of Roeder and, for a while, the Turners. It''s my opinion Delia was a supportive owner then as she is now.

She may not have made the mistakes but she has taken responsibility for them and paid for them. As I say so often, we don''t have to be grateful because it''s her choice but I do believe being ungrateful is the thin end of the wedge.

We should have a statue of Robert Chase outside the ground.  We should then sell it without asking anyone else''s permission and just leave an empty plinth there.

I think we should rename the whole stadium after Delia....Just a tacky statue as a token of esteem to our saviour - is an insult to her commitment, to all that is NCFC.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''d like a statue of Roeder holding his loan contacts book in one hand and a telephone in the other hand to remind me of the bad times and to remind people not to make the same mistakes in the future. Also if we lost we could throw eggs at it.[/quote] it''s quite amusing that possibly the worst manager (with hamilton and grant) in our history has been the catalyst for our dramatic rise. if he had not made us so bad we would probably still be struggling along in the lower reaches of the championship, not celebrating successive promotions.

[quote user="dhickl"]if anyone deserves a statue, I would put Geoffrey Wattling at the top of the list.[/quote][IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/Ginna_may/gif_smile_027.gif[/IMG]Couldn''t agree more.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="dhickl"]if anyone deserves a statue, I would put Geoffrey Wattling at the top of the list.[/quote]

[IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/Ginna_may/gif_smile_027.gif[/IMG]

Couldn''t agree more.
[/quote]

Why do we have to choose one over another. can''t we take a Mount Rushmore approach to this?

( helmet on )

Yes, Geoffrey Watling without a doubt.If only he had been able to see what NCFC have achieved in these last 2 seasons.However, we should leave some space on the plinth - you know, just in case... 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="dhickl"]if anyone deserves a statue, I would put Geoffrey Wattling at the top of the list.[/quote][IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/Ginna_may/gif_smile_027.gif[/IMG]Couldn''t agree more.[/quote]

Why do we have to choose one over another. can''t we take a Mount Rushmore approach to this?

( helmet on )

[/quote]Yes, like it...

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''d like a statue of Roeder holding his loan contacts book in one hand and a telephone in the other hand to remind me of the bad times and to remind people not to make the same mistakes in the future.

Also if we lost we could throw eggs at it.[/quote]Nah what we want is a new urinal in the Barclay that doubles as a statue of Roeder, then we could pay our respects every home game!

Why would it matter to Bly if there was a statue at the ground?Its not like he''d ever see it anyway...