Sign in to follow this  
MisterCarrow

Cody Macdonald

According to the homepage he is on loan till the 8th May. If we end up in the play-offs we could use him. I can see the headlines being written already, ''the lad who was playing league 2 football all season has just fired Norwich City into the premiership...'' Does anyone think it would be unfair on the other players who have got us where we are or is it a case of using the tools your blessed with?

I really don''t want to be in the playoff''s. I think if we fail to get second spot we''re in the championship for another season. I think Cardiff, Swansea and Reading would all be too good.

I reckon Simeon Jackson and Chris Martin would rather see Cody fire us to promotion than to see us lose, regardless of whetehr it is ''fair'' on them.[quote user="Rob Sims"]I really don''t want to be in the playoff''s. I think if we fail to get second spot we''re in the championship for another season. I think Cardiff, Swansea and Reading would all be too good.[/quote]I don''t see how we would be any less prepared than the others. If we have been good enough to match them for 46 matches, we should be able to compete with them for three.

Cody IMO is better than Oli and Martin, Jackson has come on leaps and bounds and Cody knows where the net is, so as people have said use what you''ve got.

There might be some good teams in there but what are we muppets. We are 3rd and have done reading twice (bar a shocking ref) Cardiff we battered at home and should have won and were unlucky with the penalty away, swansea have been the best team we have played we were lucky to beat them at home, but if we had taken our chances away then it could have been a different story.

We fear no-one, plus its a moot point coz we are gonna finish second!!!!

I believe this would only be the case if Gillingham are NOT in the playoffs themselves.  As it stands they occupy the final playoff space in 7th place (3 autos from league Two).

When are people going to get it in their thick heads that scoring goals at league 2 level is not the same as scoring them in the championship?

Cody will not play for Norwich city again because he is not good enough at this level let alone where we are going!

and before you start harping on about he young he isn''t, dont bother with the he''s young in pro footballer terms and this development bollocks, its not like he didn''t play a single game untill he was 22

This has been done to death and i''m sick of reading about Cody $hitting Macdonald and his loan terms and the rest, its every sodding day

Please; I don''t think he''ll play for us again, however I still read the Cody Macdonald thread. If you are in deed "sick of reading about Cody $hitting Macdonald and his loan terms and the rest", then I suggest not opening threads which are labeled by his name. I don''t want to know about Katie Price so I turn off Living when her programme is on and avoid articles with her name in the title. I could understand your anger if it was slipped into a thread but this was not.

I''m with you 100% DDD - as I said earlier in thread number 3,287 about Cody Macdonald - (1) He''s made it clear that he doesn''t want to be here, (2) Gillingham have made it clear that they don''t want him to be here and (3) Norwich don''t want him here - end of.

Does any body really think that Lambert would take the risk of using a player who has openly said that his heart is somewhere else by chucking him into the play offs & at the same time discard one of the players who have got us there in the first place.

Besides, we''ll get 2nd so we won''t be in the play offs & the whole question is totally irrelevant.

I think Delia''s Dirtbox is a bit harsh here but the point I would make is this: it''s amazing how much better you become once you are out of the team.

Chris Martin did just as well on loan at Luton as Cody has done this year, but all of a suden everyone says Cody is better. The reality isthat Chrissy has a far better track record and pedigree. Goals in League Two really don''t make Cody the answer. We have plenty enough to do the job without him.

Not an anti-Cody post btw, he''s done great this year, done well for NCFC in the past too and I hope we get a good fee for him in the summer and he goes on to have a great career.

Playoff''s? I laugh in the face of the Playoff''s. Automatic promotion in 2nd place. Feel it in my water.

This thread is just ridiculous.

1. If you honestly believe Lambert would bring him in for the Play-offs you are idiots. The main reason for our success this year on such a limited budget is about getting players who all fit in together and all work together as a team. To do this would go against the whole Lambert ethos. If this happened I would genuinely take a banner to the play-offs with "Lambert out" on.

2. IF we had a massive striker shortage and we needed him in, he WOULD NOT score 20 goals in the 3 play-off games. He currently plays at League 2 level. I use Billy Painter as an example, the only way this is different is that Cody is at an even lower level.

3. To those saying "hope we dont need the play-offs we are not good enough for them, should get second though". That''s the most ridiculous statement ever, if you believe we are good enough for Second then we MUST be good enough for play-offs. So if you are saying we are good enough for second, but won''t do well in the playoffs you are an idiot.

4. When you say we are not good enough for the play-offs, what is that based on? If anything, with my understanding of how Lambert runs his team, we have the best chance. He makes sure there heads never go down, he makes sure he takes it one game at a time, we go out to attack and win both home and away. All of these things make us a very challenging opposition in the play offs.

I started this thread because today was the first time I have seen Cody''s loan arrangement confirmed to finish on the 8th May. With noVokes and Martins fitness I can see it in the realms of possibility he could be on the bench. Oli Johnson is due back as well by the way. If Lambert didn''t think he was good enough for the Championship why did he offer him a 2 year deal this time last season when he knew we were going to be in the Championship? Lambert sent him out on loan to get a season of first team football under his belt because he was never going start and play 46 games for us. Better to give him the experience then sit him on the bench half the time. As for him saying he doesn''t want to stay at Norwich, he never said that. It was obvious he was playing the game that all loan players play when asked if they want to stay at the club. Do you really think Jimmy Bullard will sign for Ipswich next season, he''s too good for the championship, he''ll be with a prem club next season no doubt about it. Mcdonald is too good for league 2 and he obviously has ambition and wants to play at the highest level possible. A league one club would snap him up next season if the Gills don''t go up. Chris Martin only scored 11 goals in league 2, whatever that means!I''ll repeat the original question, it seems as though some people have thrown their toys out of the pram. I couldn''t less if he has been discussed before, I don''t spend my whole life on here, sorry. I thought this board was for all, not a select few. If  you want to discuss it, good, if you don''t then don''t. Does anyone think it would be unfair on the other players who have

got us where we are or is it a case of using the tools your blessed

with?

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

I think Delia''s Dirtbox is a bit harsh here but the point I would make is this: it''s amazing how much better you become once you are out of the team.

Chris Martin did just as well on loan at Luton as Cody has done this year, but all of a suden everyone says Cody is better. The reality isthat Chrissy has a far better track record and pedigree. Goals in League Two really don''t make Cody the answer. We have plenty enough to do the job without him.

Not an anti-Cody post btw, he''s done great this year, done well for NCFC in the past too and I hope we get a good fee for him in the summer and he goes on to have a great career.

[/quote]Not. In. The. Slightest.

[quote user="zak123"]I use Billy Painter as an example, the only way this is different is that Cody is at an even lower level.

3.[/quote]Bullhockey.To the same extent i could point out Davide Somma (very much a like-for-like instance with Cody), Grant Holt, Nicky Maynard, Steve Morison, Brett Pittman, and David Nugent of recent times.And that''s only mentioning the League Two/Non-League examples.As i often say on this subject, no one can argue Cody''s assured success, all we can rationally hope to debate is the degree of likelihood. And if history has any say on the matter, he has got a fair chance of making the step-up.

Exactly! Which league did the sainted Holt join us from?[quote user="zak123"]

1. If you honestly believe Lambert would bring him in for the Play-offs you are idiots. The main reason for our success this year on such a limited budget is about getting players who all fit in together and all work together as a team. To do this would go against the whole Lambert ethos. If this happened I would genuinely take a banner to the play-offs with "Lambert out" on.[/quote]Good luck with that mate. [:|]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Exactly! Which league did the sainted Holt join us from?[quote user="zak123"]

1. If you honestly believe Lambert would bring him in for the Play-offs you are idiots. The main reason for our success this year on such a limited budget is about getting players who all fit in together and all work together as a team. To do this would go against the whole Lambert ethos. If this happened I would genuinely take a banner to the play-offs with "Lambert out" on.[/quote]Good luck with that mate. [:|][/quote]What league? Yeah League 2!However remember Holt didn''t go straight from League to a Championship play-off game. He went into League 1, where he took a while to get going and improved to be one of the best players in that league. Then he went into the Championship and started slowly again.

Ok, Chris Martin didn''t score quite as many goals as Cody has done on loan, but I still maintain having seen the two, I see no reason to believe that Cody is a better player.

There''s nothing wrong in having a wild card up the sleeve, and thats exactly what Cody is.

I would love to see him in a Norwich shirt again, and fail to beleive that he would not be interested in playing for us.... I think he knows that he''s got more chance with the gils so he''s saying the right things to secure his future at a place where he''s scoring and getting appearances.

Thing is, those that love the guy have a beleif that he could definetly cut it at this level, he''s a raw talent in front of goal.

[quote user="CantonsHero"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Exactly! Which league did the sainted Holt join us from?[quote user="zak123"]

1. If you honestly believe Lambert would bring him in for the Play-offs you are idiots. The main reason for our success this year on such a limited budget is about getting players who all fit in together and all work together as a team. To do this would go against the whole Lambert ethos. If this happened I would genuinely take a banner to the play-offs with "Lambert out" on.[/quote]Good luck with that mate. [:|][/quote]What league? Yeah League 2!However remember Holt didn''t go straight from League to a Championship play-off game. He went into League 1, where he took a while to get going and improved to be one of the best players in that league. Then he went into the Championship and started slowly again.[/quote]Doesn''t neccessarily have to be the case though, does it?Davide Somma on loan at Lincoln last season for example, at the same age as Cody at Gillingham this season, scored 9

in 14 games last season, not an entirely dissimilar record, and has made an awesome jump having

been one of, if not the most lethal striker in the Championship this

season at Leeds.

[quote user="John"][quote user="CantonsHero"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Exactly! Which league did the sainted Holt join us from?[quote user="zak123"]

1. If you honestly believe Lambert would bring him in for the Play-offs you are idiots. The main reason for our success this year on such a limited budget is about getting players who all fit in together and all work together as a team. To do this would go against the whole Lambert ethos. If this happened I would genuinely take a banner to the play-offs with "Lambert out" on.[/quote]Good luck with that mate. [:|][/quote]What league? Yeah League 2!However remember Holt didn''t go straight from League to a Championship play-off game. He went into League 1, where he took a while to get going and improved to be one of the best players in that league. Then he went into the Championship and started slowly again.[/quote]Doesn''t neccessarily have to be the case though, does it?Davide Somma on loan at Lincoln last season for example, at the same age as Cody at Gillingham this season, scored 9

in 14 games last season, not an entirely dissimilar record, and has made an awesome jump having

been one of, if not the most lethal striker in the Championship this

season at Leeds.[/quote]On top of that Somma and McDonald are considerably more similar as strikers.And their respective careers were similarly unspectacular prior to their arrival in professional English football at similar ages.

It''s the kind of weird scenario you can see happening isn''t it? City get through the play-off semi''s, get to Wembley and we''re a striker short through injury. Meanwhile Cody has returned from Gillingham''s failed play-off semi-finals and through lack of other options he gets a game and Sky bang-on about him being "The Forgotten Man" in the build up to the match.

[quote user="MisterCarrow"]According to the homepage he is on loan till the 8th May. If we end up in the play-offs we could use him. I can see the headlines being written already, ''the lad who was playing league 2 football all season has just fired Norwich City into the premiership...'' Does anyone think it would be unfair on the other players who have got us where we are or is it a case of using the tools your blessed with?[/quote]

I thought it was a season loan, so if Gillingham are in the playoffs then surely he will remain till the end of thier playoffs, Now I may be talking out my rear end I don''t know.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]Ok, Chris Martin didn''t score quite as many goals as Cody has done on loan, but I still maintain having seen the two, I see no reason to believe that Cody is a better player.[/quote]

Attitude can get a player a long way, and Cody''s is about 1,000 per cent better than Martin''s. I back Cody to have a more successful career than Martin who I see possibly being shipped out in the summer.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="MisterCarrow"]According to the homepage he is on loan till the 8th May. If we end up in the play-offs we could use him. I can see the headlines being written already, ''the lad who was playing league 2 football all season has just fired Norwich City into the premiership...'' Does anyone think it would be unfair on the other players who have got us where we are or is it a case of using the tools your blessed with?[/quote]

I thought it was a season loan, so if Gillingham are in the playoffs then surely he will remain till the end of thier playoffs.

[/quote]Correct.

Basically if he is available for the playoffs then great. Its an in form attacking option for Lambert to have at his disposal (from the bench or how he sees fit) which is never a bad thing. Particularly if Vokes is recalled by Wolves. If he stays at Gillingham for the playoffs then so be it. We''ve done just fine with the players we have now. Don''t really get why people are so up in arms about it.